Preview Rd 10 2013: Brisbane Lions v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The weather report for tomorrow says a shower or two but it is chucking down with rain at the moment at my work on the north side. Not a bad week weather wise to be missing your talls (although good rucks are pretty handy to have in the wet).

Message to players - make sure you cover the space behind the marking contest. Wet weather footy = the ball skidding through hands = goals out the back of the pack.

Great game to bring Harwood in.

Out. In

Luey. Longer
Brown. Ace
Rockliff. Karnezis
Lisle. Paparone
Michael. Clarke
McGrath. Harwood

Don't mimick anything about Mick Malthouse..... The guys a pig

Actually my mother was hospitalised many years ago, back in Perth when Malthouse was coaching WCE then. My mother was sharing a room at the hospital with his daughter who happened to be in there as well for some reason. So many years ago, so I guess this would be Christy? She was in her teens at the time.

She was there for a few weeks, and actually chatted a lot to Mick whenever he was visiting his daughter. Mum said he was a lovely and very warm man in person.

Lisle out? **** sake voss, he's never going to get any confidence if you keep dropping him

Lisle out? **** sake voss, he's never going to get any confidence if you keep dropping him
Is it all up to the coach to develop confidence in the player, or is there some work in that regard that is up to the player?

Also, do we actually know yet that Lisle isn't in the squad, or do we only know that he missed training?

I have a feeling the side Greg Davis saw training is actually our reserve one. Bartlett to debut:thumbsu:

If Lisle is out, then we must be doing it on the basis of Longer needing more support in the Ruck, this could mean Michael up forward/backup Ruck in place of Lisle. Maybe with the others mentioned who were at training such as Paparone, Cornelius we are going for a more mobile setup. This would mean we have a forward line with Michael, Cornelius, Paparone, Bewick, Green, Zorko which certainly adds a lot of running power into it.

It will certainly be unpredictable, and throw in the fact we could rotate other players through there for periods such as Mayes, Longer, Staker, Hanley, Redden, Black, Polks and Moloney, if they can all contribute 1 or 2 we may be a chance.

Keep the rotations high and run, run, run, stuff defence, just attack at every chance, kinda like how Collingwood have been playing.

Is it all up to the coach to develop confidence in the player, or is there some work in that regard that is up to the player?

Also, do we actually know yet that Lisle isn't in the squad, or do we only know that he missed training?

Haso's right, it's now up to Lisle to progress from here. He needs to attack the ball and man harder. He needs to realise that he is bigger and stronger than he thinks. This isn't up to the coach to provide, he needs to do it himself.

He doesn't attack the ball hard unless he has a clear run at it and is almost unwilling to be involved in general play in AFL. The confidence needs to come from him, he needs show the effort and make the mistakes; not be afraid to make them and therefore put only a token effort in. There is little effort from him in most contests, he just doesn't seem to want it all that much; certainly not if it means getting a knock.

We can't carry someone like this when Brown isn't in the team.

A good old fashioned selection rant, three and a half hours before the team is announced, oh how I have missed thee. :thumbsu:

Damn my ignore list :(

I wait for the day when the selection rants start minutes after the match finishes. On that day I will retire from the internet, satisfied.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wait for the day when the selection rants start minutes after the match finishes. On that day I will retire from the internet, satisfied.
I do find it interesting discussing who may be in the team, how that may effect the team balance, but as for who is left out, brought in at this point I think the club should know best with the amount of stats, gps data and research info they have available to them. I can say, Lisle should be in because of bla, bla, bla, which at the end of the day doesn't mean much, it is just an opinion, on a board, in a forum, on the Internet, somewhere by someone who is also biased in certain ways as to how they perceive things.

I do find it interesting discussing who may be in the team, how that may effect the team balance, but as for who is left out, brought in at this point I think the club should know best with the amount of stats, gps data and research info they have available to them. I can say, Lisle should be in because of bla, bla, bla, which at the end of the day doesn't mean much, it is just an opinion, on a board, in a forum, on the Internet, somewhere by someone who is also biased in certain ways as to how they perceive things.

Maybe they are expecting rain and prefer a smaller more mobile set up

Maybe they are expecting rain and prefer a smaller more mobile set up
For sure, always a possibility, being in Melb I am not too sure what the weather is like up that way, but if rain is the forecast, a mobile forward line certainly makes sense, can also remember Cornelius previously taking some great marks in the wet too, and even though running the other way is not a strength of his he is much better than Brown and as good as Lisle in this regard and also goes better at picking it up off the ground than both.

fair enough, just hope he doesn't get dropped :p i would hate to see one bad match result to this

If Cornelius gets another call up surely it's his last chance to step up in the absence of Browny and announce that he has what it takes to be regular contributor?

Can't say I feel confident at all about this game. The rain will work in our favour to bring their skills down a few notches and allow Black and Moloney to win the contested footy. They have Ball as their main inside mid and he is still unfit from his injury. Beams as an out is great and Swan has been playing poorly this year. We might win the midfield battle if Black and Moloney do what they do best. The wet weather footy will minimise Cloke and Lynch impact and hopefully our small defenders are there to clean up. I would be attacking the boundary and creating stoppages. Raines will go the Pendles with possibly Zorko on Swan and Black/Moloney on Ball to run him off his feet. If it is raining i'd play only Resting ruck forward and have the rest as runners/utilities who can cover ground and provide +1 or +2 at the contests further up the ground and leave the forward line open, we can't block it up and allow Maxwell/O'Brien to go up as 2nd man in the contest. Collingwood are weak at this stage and are playing poorly under Buckley. We have to win this for our guernsey.

The weather report for tomorrow says a shower or two but it is chucking down with rain at the moment at my work on the north side. Not a bad week weather wise to be missing your talls (although good rucks are pretty handy to have in the wet).

Message to players - make sure you cover the space behind the marking contest. Wet weather footy = the ball skidding through hands = goals out the back of the pack.

Great game to bring Harwood in.

Any game so far has been great game to bring harwood in....

These showers in brissie are set to ease up tommorow arvo,

BRISBANE LIONS
In: R.Harwood, P.Karnezis, B.Longer, J.Crisp, M.Paparone, J.Clarke
Out: J.Brown (suspension), M.Leuenberger (hand), T.Rockliff (leg), J.Lisle, J.Green, S.Mayes (soreness)

COLLINGWOOD
In: A.Didak, H. Shaw, K.Martin, J.Thomas
Out: J.Russell (ankle), S.Dwyer (groin), M.Clarke, J.Witts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back