Preview Rd 10: Changes vs Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder whether Hannan is more at risk of being dropped and replaced with Wallis once English returns.

English obviously brings a lot more height, so less of need to have Hannan who is taller and supposedly more of a threat in the air than Wallis.
I reckon it is speed more so than height that Hannan has over Mitch.

Watch Naughton's screamer.
We had a Hannan dummy lead clear one opposition KPD from the area, and Weightman front and square. If Wallis leads, no way a KPD goes with him.
I'd say Hannan's forward 50 role is closer to English's role than anything Wallis can provide. Sadly I just don't think Wallis fits into our structure anymore.
Why would a KPD be more likely to follow Hannan on a lead rather than Wallis?

It seems English wont be right again for this week but if he was to be right who would he come in for?

I like many on here see the easy changes
Crozier for Wood
L.Hunter for Roarke Smith

but Bevo seemed to like the 3 prong attack, would T.English replace one of A.Scott, Mcniel, Weightman or Hannan? Is Weightman safe for a few weeks after such a quality performance against Port.

Bevo also seemed extremely happy with Hannan aswell so doubt he wouldve got dropped

Or do they see that a 2 prong attack can also work and replace J.Sweet with English as hes fresh and not banged up body wise.

Or do they see that a 2 prong attack can also work and replace J.Sweet with English as hes fresh and not banged up body wise.

I don't want to see English ruck one out against St Kilda and Paddy Ryder ever again. Not in a house or with a mouse. Not in a box or with a fox. Not in the rain or on a train. And so on.

Anyone here remember heading in to round 20, 1996? Saints coach Stan Alves whinged so much about the state of WO they took our last home game of the year off us and moved it to Princes Park. We were second bottom. The only game we'd won in weeks was against bottom team Fitzroy.. Saints had won 3 straight and were half a game out of the 8, with a better percentage than 8th placed Hawthorn. They were raging favourites.

After a low-scoring first quarter, we handed their arses to them on a plate, and in his last and only decent performance for us, Allen Jakovich kicked 3.4, Granty dominated at CHB to bank another 3 Brownlow votes - and the Saints staggered to finishi 10th! Good times!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The focus on htb / Ratten's whinge this week is going to 100% guarantee some absolutely shitful umpiring this round.
I don't disagree but opposed to every other round? At least it might benefit us by rewarding tackles.
More like rewarding Saints, if they lay a finger on a player I guarantee they will get a free.
Unlike other rounds?

You can keep track here...

We are ranked =6th for HTB - Frees For averaging 4.6 per round with 8% of our tackles being rewarded.

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 12.40.43 am.png

As for HTB - Frees Against we actually give away the least amount of any club only giving away 30 HTBs for the entire year at 3.3 per round with 6% of the oppositions tackles being rewarded.

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 12.40.55 am.png

Last edited:
You can keep track here...

We are ranked =6th for HTB - Frees For averaging 4.6 per round with 8% of our tackles being rewarded.

View attachment 1132108

As for HTB - Frees Against we actually give away the least amount of any club only giving away 30 HTBs for the entire year at 3.3 per round with 6% of the oppositions tackles being rewarded.

View attachment 1132110
Isn’t that meant to be the point of the whinge? To bring our contested game back to the field.

It seems English wont be right again for this week but if he was to be right who would he come in for?

I like many on here see the easy changes
Crozier for Wood
L.Hunter for Roarke Smith

but Bevo seemed to like the 3 prong attack, would T.English replace one of A.Scott, Mcniel, Weightman or Hannan? Is Weightman safe for a few weeks after such a quality performance against Port.

Bevo also seemed extremely happy with Hannan aswell so doubt he wouldve got dropped

Its the million dollar question really. What is our best 22. I think Sweet is showing after 2-3 years in the reserves his tank is ok. Down fwd there's no doubt English can make defenses worry, and I'd still prefer to rotate him through fwd/ruck instead of Bruce. Neither Bruce or Naughton are tall talls (if that makes sense), meaning rarely are they going to take marks purely because of their height. Naughts also has the ability to apply good pressure.

Therefore I'm still for the two rucks. Unfortunately Roarke Smith and/or Hannan are the ones that miss out currently. I thought Roarke did everything asked of him last week (including that great smother) so I'll feel bad for him if dropped.

Its the million dollar question really. What is our best 22. I think Sweet is showing after 2-3 years in the reserves his tank is ok. Down fwd there's no doubt English can make defenses worry, and I'd still prefer to rotate him through fwd/ruck instead of Bruce. Neither Bruce or Naughton are tall talls (if that makes sense), meaning rarely are they going to take marks purely because of their height. Naughts also has the ability to apply good pressure.

Therefore I'm still for the two rucks. Unfortunately Roarke Smith and/or Hannan are the ones that miss out currently. I thought Roarke did everything asked of him last week (including that great smother) so I'll feel bad for him if dropped.

Rmith would be a good sub option, could play forward or back depending who goes out as we have others that could rotate through the midfield

Why would a KPD be more likely to follow Hannan on a lead rather than Wallis?
Because he's taller and can take marks overhead.
If you watch the vision it was Port's third defender running with Hannan at the time. Bevo also mentioned that Hannan was playing the role of the get-out target down the line, so he was basically playing English's role as a tall forward for much of the game.

Lippi would be out ahead of Roarke, surely.
Roarke is as dependable as you can get and has a far better defensive game which is what we now value from our foot soldiers (hence VDM, McNeill, Scott). I also suspect that's why Garcia is rated highly internally too.

Roarke is as dependable as you can get and has a far better defensive game which is what we now value from our foot soldiers (hence VDM, McNeill, Scott). I also suspect that's why Garcia is rated highly internally too.

Yeah Lippi needs to get a wriggle on. Agreed.

I am a Lippi fan because his skills and decision making are elite but his form has dropped off. I would give him a few more games as his upside is 1000 times greater than Roarke, Scott and co and his disposals Numbers are similar. Lippi just needs his confidence back and the same consistencies that Scott has been given.

I am a Lippi fan because his skills and decision making are elite but his form has dropped off. I would give him a few more games as his upside is 1000 times greater than Roarke, Scott and co and his disposals Numbers are similar. Lippi just needs his confidence back and the same consistencies that Scott has been given.
I disagree with this. For mine, Scott has been granted opportunity because he's played the role asked of him, whether that be down back or up forward - both spots that we've needed filled throughout the year. Lipi is in and out because he's shown that he can't really perform in roles outside of the midfield, and when played in the midfield his direct opponent is constantly more impactful than he is.

Lipi simply needs to keep improving. He's not getting consistent game time because he's not versatile and he's not in our best midfield group. Scott is because he's playing a role that we're lacking and not doing anything particularly wrong. It's comparing apples to oranges.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Rd 10: Changes vs Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back