Preview Rd 15 Geelong V Blues Fri 21 Jun 740 pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We haven't looked hard enough since Otto gave it away though not just the last couple of years.
I both agree and disagree, in a sense. There's never been quite the right player available, at the right time, who wanted to come to Geelong. Hindsight makes it look worse than it was.

Going into 2013, our ruck stocks actually looked ok. West had played all of 2012 and not been a disgrace; we'd just acquired McIntosh, and big Daws was starting to come good. That was probably enough irons in the fire at the time, but not by the end of that year.

So, in 2015 and 2016, we got Rhys Stanley and Zac Smith - and the problem was that both of them were good enough to play AFL, but never quite good enough to push the other out the team for good. By the end of 2017, I honestly thought that Zac Smith had fixed our ruck issue.

It was the next two years where, IMO, we had a serious ruck problem. Smith went backwards, and when Rhys was dropped for the 2019 finals, his performances merited being dropped.

Then, from 2020 to 2022, thank **** Rhys came good (or good enough) for us to neutralise the issue.

In that 2018/19 period, the player I really wanted us to get was Scott Lycett, to be honest... but the guy was from South Australia, so the Come Home factor worked. The only other full-time rucks to change hands then were Tom Hickey (talented but broken), Jordan Roughead (not an upgrade), Sam Jacobs (cooked), Frampton (character issues), Ryder (too old), Darcy Cameron (too young for a contending team), and Pittonet (not good enough).

Could be the 2nd of 5 straight losses. Blues and dons at the G we would be underdogs. Hawks playing very well would be favourites to knock us off on our home turf and woods at 50% would beat us at the G……
Then again we are a chance in all 4 ….. at 8-5 we need to be looking to get 3-1 from next four and 2-2 at worse.
If we lose to the Dons then we're cooked

I both agree and disagree, in a sense. There's never been quite the right player available, at the right time, who wanted to come to Geelong. Hindsight makes it look worse than it was.

Going into 2013, our ruck stocks actually looked ok. West had played all of 2012 and not been a disgrace; we'd just acquired McIntosh, and big Daws was starting to come good. That was probably enough irons in the fire at the time, but not by the end of that year.

So, in 2015 and 2016, we got Rhys Stanley and Zac Smith - and the problem was that both of them were good enough to play AFL, but never quite good enough to push the other out the team for good. By the end of 2017, I honestly thought that Zac Smith had fixed our ruck issue.

It was the next two years where, IMO, we had a serious ruck problem. Smith went backwards, and when Rhys was dropped for the 2019 finals, his performances merited being dropped.

Then, from 2020 to 2022, thank **** Rhys came good (or good enough) for us to neutralise the issue.

In that 2018/19 period, the player I really wanted us to get was Scott Lycett, to be honest... but the guy was from South Australia, so the Come Home factor worked. The only other full-time rucks to change hands then were Tom Hickey (talented but broken), Jordan Roughead (not an upgrade), Sam Jacobs (cooked), Frampton (character issues), Ryder (too old), Darcy Cameron (too young for a contending team), and Pittonet (not good enough).
Agree with everything except for this. Stanley was pretty good in our Rd 23 win against Carlton and beat his opponent in Kreuzer after missing games from Rd 18 onwards, but Scott left him out of the Pies QF because he was expecting it to piss down so we went in with Esava and Blicavs in the ruck.
The worst part was pregame when asked about the weather changing to be a dryer night, Scott replied with something like "we are still pretty tall".
Grundy has an absolute [as expected] blinder where he dominates Esava and Blicavs, is one of the Pies best 4 players on the field and we bottle the QF.

Stanley is then rushed back into the team for the rest of the finals series.

2019 and 2013 were the only times Scott got a bit too clever with selections [omitting Stanley due to weather that never happened and starting Chapman as sub] when it comes to big matches and it cost us a GF spot in my opinion.

If his to slow for defence, he will have no hope as a midfielder than...
Yes we need help for a 2nd ruck 100%. But Blitz pace is not a midfielder anymore, he would be more suited as a key defender playing on McKay. As 90% key defenders don't have pace..

Easier to hide a slow inside mid than a slow key back.

The most obvious culprit is the massive double-whack to the scone that he got with a resulting concussion, and the way that this coincided with a drop in form, just like it did when he got concussed last year...

The guy was playing a free-roaming role earlier in the year, managed a lazy 17 touches and 5 goals against Carlton, and was being discussed as the best player in the AFL. It's not the role, it's just the form.
I'm all for players being given another week off or two after concussion. So this is a nice argument and it would be great if the facts backed it up. But they don't.

He was quiet the week before his concussion last year, in round 14 against Port. So to argue his drop in form coincided with his drop in form is somewhat tenuous.

When he came back after his concussion, he wasn't terrible. The main problem was he'd lost his radar in kicking for goal (until we played Collingwood in round 21).

The same goes for this year. He was on fire and almost couldn't miss for the first seven rounds. Then in round eight (the week after the Carlton game) he kicked 0.3 and was off his game. He was okay but not great in round nine against Port until his concussion late in the game. So again his drop-off in form again came before the concussion.

I'm sure the concussion hasn't helped either year, but it's a bit too easy to use that as an excuse. I think the shoulder injury he carried was a bigger issue in the second half of last year anyway.

2019 and 2013 were the only times Scott got a bit too clever with selections [omitting Stanley due to weather that never happened and starting Chapman as sub] when it comes to big matches and it cost us a GF spot in my opinion.
Disagree here. He dropped Menzel for Z. Guthrie for the 2017 QF.

I know Zuthrie has come good, but at the time I decried that decision as being ludicrous and I stand by it. We needed goal kickers that night, not a skinny rookie defender.

Disagree here. He dropped Menzel for Z. Guthrie for the 2017 QF.

I know Zuthrie has come good, but at the time I decried that decision as being ludicrous and I stand by it. We needed goal kickers that night, not a skinny rookie defender.
I don't think we were winning the 2017 QF, and Menzel I don't think would have made enough difference.

But we should have won the 2019 QF and 2013 QF.

Geelong back on track. I feel like they're all important games to win from here out. Acquit ourselves well and we might get some finals experience into the young fellas, who knows maybe even snag a September win. Hard to imagine is finding ourselves in the big dance again. If we want to do that I feel like the next 2 weeks are must win. If not at best we're am also run.

Becomes a must win now
If Conway isn't fit play Blicavs 1st Ruck
Time to switch back on
I know they want to give Conway some exposure this year. But I wouldn't mind them giving Blicavs a few games in a row as the number 1 ruck.

He's almost not warranting a game as a mid atm. It would potentially be problematic because you'd need to either pick Neale to back him up (who also probably deserves a run in the 2s) or move SDK for periods which could leave us exposed down back.

But tbh I would still give it a go. I think TDK would be a pretty good matchup for Blicavs as well this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with everything except for this. Stanley was pretty good in our Rd 23 win against Carlton and beat his opponent in Kreuzer after missing games from Rd 18 onwards, but Scott left him out of the Pies QF because he was expecting it to piss down so we went in with Esava and Blicavs in the ruck.
The worst part was pregame when asked about the weather changing to be a dryer night, Scott replied with something like "we are still pretty tall".
Grundy has an absolute [as expected] blinder where he dominates Esava and Blicavs, is one of the Pies best 4 players on the field and we bottle the QF.

Stanley is then rushed back into the team for the rest of the finals series.

Chappy as sub was the clear mistake in that game, but Walker (playing his 10th game) over West was another big one. Granted West had been in not-great form that year, but feel Josh was thrown to the wolves.

Even if we get Danger & Guther's back, I don't think we'll beat the Blues this time. The Blues will be out for some revenge after we beat them earlier in the season and I think Vossy has them playing great footy. Hope I'm wrong, though.

Like many here I feel this one will be difficult to come away with the win. I recall our win in Rd 7 we were quite accurate in front of goal, so that'd need repeating to match it with the Blues come Friday. I hope we resist bringing Dangerfield and Guthrie back in at the same time.

Assume Guth comes back through the 2s given what happened last time
Seconded... the fella has hardly played since the 22 Grand Final, the thought of a strong pre season to go off doesn't help him now... get him in the 2s first and get some touch and make sure he is ready to go. That will actually benefit the side more IMO

also is he even ready yet? was an achillies niggle wasn't it? So who knows where he is at

What can you expect , predict with some degree of confidence in this game Carlton $1.58 and Geel $2.40 , so they are strong favourites to win

Well seeing its a Frid night big game , the concussion could have knocked Cameron around a fair bit , that is a possibility , but if that isnt the case , at least he will be totally switched on for this game seeing its a big live televised game , where as lesser games he isnt for some strange reason even tho he gets a million a year

Hawkins what do you do with him , Weitering will kill him i reckon , so maybe drop him ( Scott wont tho ) and play Gary Rohan or O Henry at FF

I would stick with Stanley in the ruck , alot have unfairly rubbished him over the journey , but i think Rhys has been good value for the Cats over the journey . Its interesting when Geel played Melb Stanley played a very physical game against Gawn , he was jumping into him knees , boots , it was borderline within the rules , and thats exactly how id like him to play against TDK , who is alot lighter framed

Kolo to play on Curnow and SDK ( fingers crossed he doesnt make basic errors ) to play on Harry because J Henry is not good enough to play on either of them

Geel can win , but the biggest problem by a mile , is they cant play 4 qtrs , abysmal 1st halfs in those 3 KP games against ordinary sides , but powered home in the 2nd halfs . Then a brilliant 1st qtr and a half against the Swans then gradually wilted

If Geel do win you can bet your bottom dollar it will be the same type of win Geel have had in the last season and a half , there will be 7-8 players like Stengle , Holmes , Kolo ( who has had a great year ) Dangerfield , they will play exceptionally well and get them the win , and the others will just come along for the ride

Seconded... the fella has hardly played since the 22 Grand Final, the thought of a strong pre season to go off doesn't help him now... get him in the 2s first and get some touch and make sure he is ready to go. That will actually benefit the side more IMO

also is he even ready yet? was an achillies niggle wasn't it? So who knows where he is at

Most recent injury report pre-Swans game suggests he'll be ok this week:
Cameron Guthrie remains a week away as he continues to work through his rehabilitation program for an achilles complaint.

“Cam is tracking well; he’s had a minor flare up with his achilles post game in Darwin, and he is still a week away. With the bye after the Sydney game, we anticipate Cam being available,” Johnson said.

I don't think Cam will be doing much for us this year. He's been out too long. He didn't look too flash when he came back before his most recent injury.

Not sure how much Paddy will contribute either. Not a lot of footy recently. I'd expect he has more chance of influencing games than Cam. We are all out of messiahs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back