Review Rd 15 Review - Freo Get Back on Track Over the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m just watching the game now.

Henry’s game strikes me as competent and neat, rather than great as such.
He got to the right spots, generally used the ball ok, but there’s a lot of small nothing kicks,

But on the Liam Henry scale that was a step forward.
Jackson, Amiss
Serong, Brayshaw all had fantastic games with more impact.

Alex Pearce belted 2 MeterPeter

rewatching now, late in the second quarter how ******* good is luke jackson jesus, proper game changer, looking like an elite full forward and then clean and nimble as all * in the contest

special player

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I’m going to sound like a bit of a jackass, but having played reserves at Ammo’s for like 7 years as a CHB I couldn’t be ****ed anymore and played like Fs for my last season as a ruck. I could basically just take the piss that year and run around doing whatever I wanted.

Jackson reminds of that but AFL level, he could be the best player in the game come like 24

I’m just watching the game now.

Henry’s game strikes me as competent and neat, rather than great as such.
He got to the right spots, generally used the ball ok, but there’s a lot of small nothing kicks,

But on the Liam Henry scale that was a step forward.
Jackson, Amiss
Serong, Brayshaw all had fantastic games with more impact.

Alex Pearce belted 2 MeterPeter
Yeah I liked Henry’s game in that he always seemed to be in the right spots and when he went forward he generally used the ball very well.

But if he didn’t like his options forward he would kick it straight back to Ryan and they probably had about 10 disposals between themselves.

Just saying that I am not sure he won the battle against Nick Martin.
According to the Essendon fans around me he easily did.

I definitely noticed Liam more than Martin but that could also just be because Liam got like all of his disposals on the wing I was sitting at.

In the first 5 mins we had 1 kick and 7 handballs.

We were getting our hands on the footy but turning it over 3 metres away and the Bombers punished us. Our handball game is a huge weakness at times.

We don't have a meatball mid that can break tackles and run away with it (DeGoey, Bont or Petracca, for example) or a clean ground ball player that can hit the contest, scoop it up and evade tacklers in one motion (like Neale). We compensate for this with a handball game that falls apart against good sides. Our alternative is a hack kick to gain field position which we use quite often as well. We gave some time to Erasmus in the guts but he got beaten quite easily. If Fyfe gets back to his best or Johnson/Erasmus come on then hopefully we will be a bit more dynamic in the middle.

Does anyone know who was the random in the circle for the team song? Got a lot of love, was it the body magic guy a lot of them use out of season maybe??
He's a long term employee of the club who's leaving next week. Kara Antonio mentioned him on ABC radio. I didn't hear his name or what he did.

Anyone got the Herald Sun’s top 100 paid athletes? I’d love to know who at Fremantle is paid well.
Yeah I’ve read it.
Fyfe is at number 2, behind Dusty. $1.1 m for the final year of his deal.
Brayshaw at 36 ($750-850k)
Jackson at 39 - $725-825k
Walters at 69 - $650-750k
Luke Ryan 72
Caleb Serong 73
Sean Darcy 74
All in the $650-750k bracket

That’s our top 7 paid players.
Buddy sits at 100 on the list at $550-650k

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need a win after the last two nothing games and we certainly delivered.

Luke Jackson is an astounding athlete and a very good footballer. Should never play more than a cameo as a ruckman as rucking takes away his strengths. We did very well out of that trade.

Caleb Serong was outstanding (again) His centre clearance work with Brayshaw and Darcy was sublime at times.

Fyfe played his best game for a long, long time. If he can maintain that form he will be a real asset to the side.

Well played Liam Henry, a real step forward. He stayed involved for the whole game and played the wide wing role very well. He has obviously worked hard to correct deficiencies in his game with good results. His soft, floaty kicks still need some work to round out his game. Hopefully he can maintain a more consistent game going forward.

Anyone got the Herald Sun’s top 100 paid athletes? I’d love to know who at Fremantle is paid well.
As below.
Tim Kelly #4 in AFL and over $1m. hmm

NATHAN FYFE​

FREMANTLE, 31

$1,050,000-$1,150,000​

Fyfe is in the last year of his lengthy deal that puts him in the top handful of players based on salary. He has just brokered a new contract with a significant pay cut and while he’s been injury-prone in recent seasons this dual Brownlow medallist still has fuel left in the tank.

36​

ANDREW BRAYSHAW​

FREMANTLE, 23

$750,000-$850,000​

Brayshaw signed a four-year deal in 2020 through to the end of 2025 and while he was overlooked for the captaincy behind Alex Pearce, this brilliant midfielder is firmly in the competition’s elite. Loyal, tough and team-focused, he is the full package.

LUKE JACKSON

FREMANTLE, 99

$725,000-$825,000

Jackson is extremely well paid and so he should be as a 21-year-old star of the future who the Dockers secured on a long-term deal that runs to 2027, with a trigger clause for the 2028-29 seasons. The deal averages around $900,000 per season but starts at around $750,000 this year.

MICHAEL WALTERS​

FREMANTLE, 32

$650,000-$750,000​

Walters is coming to the end of a two-season deal that pays him about $700,000 per year as a dynamic matchwinning forward. While he is no longer at his peak he has been a wonderful stalwart for the Dockers. He recently signed a new two-year deal.

LUKE RYAN

FREMANTLE, 27

$650,000-$750,000

Ryan signed a four-year extension in December 2022, with the 2020 All-Australian locked away until the end of 2027. Ryan deserves all that money given his consistency and spectacular right foot which sets up countless attacking thrusts.

CALEB SERONG

FREMANTLE, 22

$650,000-$750,000

Serong signed a four-year contract extension announced on Christmas Day 2022 which ties him to the Dockers until 2027. Along with Andrew Brayshaw, Serong represents the heart and soul of this year’s Dockers midfield.

SEAN DARCY

FREMANTLE, 25

$650,000-$750,000

Darcy signed a two-year deal in 2021 and is currently working on a long-term extension which would give away his 2024 free agency rights. While Darcy has often been linked back home to Victorian clubs, he has remained loyal to the Dockers and given stalwart service.

GRIFFIN LOGUE

NORTH MELBOURNE, 25

$600,000-$700,000

It hasn’t been an easy season to be a North Melbourne key defender and Logue has found it tough in his first year in a Kangaroos jumper. He hasn’t been the only one, but the fact he joined the club on a five-season deal averaging out at around $650,000 per year put a target on his back. An injury-hit pre-season didn’t help Logue. He is locke

HELP ME PLEASE.

Great game.

BUT

At c5mins in it was:
2:2 to 0:1 :eek:
10 marks to 0:oops:
Dons had loose men everywhere

ie we were playing EXACTLY like we did the previous 2 weeks.

Then we all know what happened next.

What the flip changed? If we can work that out and tell JL we will win the premiership this year!
Erasmus came onto the field and told Fyfe he was moving forward, so Fyfe moved into the forward line and we cleared, scored.

Up until then Nathan's opponent was the opposition's path moving the ball forward. It stopped after that. I think the message got through.

After that, Nathan started playing decoy in the stoppage and effectively tagging his man out of it letting Serong win the ball.

We evened up the stoppage contest and got on top.

Peter Wright was dominant up the ground but having his marking power there meant they won the field position but didn't have the marking target closer to goal to get the shot. So they pulled him back and that was the end of his influence.

Watch for Essendon to look for a mature marking tall forward this off-season... Tabs should really consider a three to four year deal from them if they offer one. He's exactly what that game plan needs.

The right call IMO. I've been a big supporter but he'd just about used up all his chance and I dont think anyone reasonable can deny that. What doesnt help naysayers is just dumping on him regardless of how he plays (like all of us Banfield sceptics had to do after his recent run). Also, like Banfield, he's not out of the woods yet but he can add so much to us if that becomes a regular standard for him - it was basically how he looks at Peel now and Martin is a quality opponent
I know you aren’t comparing the two but Henry has got skills that Banfield can only dream of .
I love Banfields efforts but he really is a C grade player when it comes to skills and game sense
I was happy to see the forward line function without him

On another note I’ve been a critic of Sturts but his intensity when he came on and in brief patches the last few weeks are promising.

Freddy as much as he can be quiet is the guy that when we finally do get fast breaks from defence will be out the back waiting .

Great game yesterday
This ain’t the year but it’s looking good for the future
Sign Darcy on whatever he wants , the combo of him and a roaming Jackson will keep me glued to the set for years to come

Freddy is too fast on the lead. So many times he is leading into space, ten metres clear of his opponent and isn't used because he is 80% of the way through the lead before the team mate has finished moving back off the mark.

Just needs to delay that effort by a few seconds and he will be taking six more marks a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back