Autopsy Rd 17 Blues undersized and overwhelmed

Who played well for Carlton in Round 17?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps now the Levi haters understand structure now....where is skyhorse...I told you Stewart would lick his lips
[/QUOTE]
Oh spare me. Levi has been ****ing woeful. We sure missed his one mark and a few contests. His accuracy isn’t terrible cause they don’t record out of bounds. He doesn’t win hit outs. We missed Liam Jones in terms of structure
I think Charlie Curnow or even McGovern should be who you miss mate.
On a positive note, Walsh continues to be outstanding. His running and play is incredible. I’m very happy and optimistic about Stocker and Dow.
Hopefully a few games to Honey, Ramsay and only if he’s definitely ready Kemp will be possible in the next few weeks.
Well done to the backline this week. It did a fantastic job.

Last edited:

Considering the outs,mTeague attempted to adjust the gameplan. It felt like there was a plan in action tonight, just lack execution in front of goals and kicking out of the defensive 50. TDK with two shocking kicks, just needs to learns his limits, but I am sure he was playing to the gameplan, so no massive issue there.

I was a Fog fan in his junior days, but his limited output as a junior has followed him to senior level.

We just got let down by our bottom six players tonight.

Setterfield, Fog, Williamson - They're probably borderline selections and could make way for a returning player or stronger player in the seconds.

Martin - Needs to work on his tank, too much talent to have such low output.

Cripps - I would not mind him having the rest of the season to get his body right for 2021.

Williams - A lot of money for an average HBF'er - List manager needs a good talking to with regards to this selection.

Slightly worried about Cap space moving forward with our list manager warping the wages with the Saad and Williams purchases, then no doubt being forced to pay big money for Cripps.

Not sure why Setterfield was brought straight back into the 1s and he certainly didn't justify his selection.

I wouldn't blame a few for being a bit peeved at it.
To be fair there are not many on our list that warrant a quick return yet here we are. We have bought Martin, Williams, Fisher all in straight from injury into the senior 22, meanwhile we got blokes banging down the door to play senior footy missing out. What does that say about culture? Says to me that we will play you if we've paid you big money.

BTW just my take on the game, we were our own worse enemy today, kicking ourselves out of the game. It was a big chance for us to win against a good team who decided to rest a few of their good players in Selwood, Dalhouse and to a certain extent Narkle. We've had a few of these opportunities this year to beat decent teams decimated by injury or resting players and haven't taken the opportunities. If we had have taken our opportunities we would be in the 8 right now but we aren't. Who's at fault for this? Teague? the 22? I don't know but I hope we fix it.

I thought the same form was of before injury last player I would have brought in bad call lazy safe call
We lost two talls before the game, and because of our injury woes, Williamson and Setterfield were the two tallest players on our list who we could actually field in the emergencies. And because of that, they got put out on the ground. That changes your bad call lazy safe call to only call. What were we going to do, bring on Fisher and Cotts?

I don’t care if Newnes runs all day and gets to the right spots, he cannot use it. You cannot have a winger turning the ball over, they are meant to be your elite users of the footy.

I could care less if LOB comes in and has 12, if he hits 10 of those kicks then he has a higher output than Newnes.

EDIT:
Also, there is no pleasing some of you with Saad and Williams!! Two of our best tonight, again! 547m gained @ 73% efficiency for one and 472 @ 68% for the other from just 79 and 83 minute TOG.

I am still extremely annoyed about tonight's game, and some of the blame for the loss has to fall on Teague because it simply cannot fall anywhere else. Who else is responsible for set shot goal kicking, or running patterns, or who plays where, or selection? So on one hand, I am annoyed for the same reasons I've been annoyed, and I will be annoyed until they are perceptibly fixed.

On the other hand, Teague's ability to find a game to compensate for our outs on the fly, without much by way of time before the game to plan, was nothing short of brilliant. I'm going to put it this way: if we played like that with an adequate complement of talls, running the ball in numbers and creating space by flicking it between smalls as we move forwards, we would be a top 8 side. It's that sort of game that wins flags. It's a similar way to any number of premiership sides have played in a strategic sense, with the closest resemblance it has being towards Leigh Matthews Brisbane.

So, I am heartened and frustrated, all in one.

How do we reconcile the two halves of that? How do we reconcile the coaching brilliance on display with the genuine lack of basics? How do we have a top of the AFL level strategist who refuses to cross the T's and dot the I's? How do we have a coach's box that ignores the all important basics like ****ing goalkicking?

How are we to proceed from that? We've more or less just demonstrated a top 4 gameplan without the pieces or the fundamentals of the game. How the **** do you manage to do that?

I don't know whether to take my hat off to Teague and the football department or throw it at them.

I’ve been quite critical of Teague this year and last, the last three weeks, I’ve seen a strong improvement in defensive structures, which was one of his biggest issues, so good on him and the team for that.

Its clear the effort is there from the group, but It’s also clear that we are carrying too many passengers and it’s not down to injuries, it’s guys who are picked on names and not output.

Its very easy to be harsh in hindsight in regards to team selection, but poor selections have been happening for two years, how does Setterfield come in, after 4 games off and having been dropped to the reserves, to replace a key forward, when you have a medium forward, who’s been solid in the twos, sitting there?

Forget the names, if a player isn’t fit enough to to make a significant impact, rest them, if a player continues to underperform, then drop them.

Development and culture is driven by the coach, he sets the standards, by picking a player who hasn’t played in weeks, over guys who have been playing well in the twos is detrimental to developing a strong culture, by continuing to play guys like Martin and Fogarty, who are having little impact, shows you are happy to accept poor effort.

As for the coaching effort today, I thought it was solid, despite the outs, we battled hard and it wasn’t the lack of KP players that cost us, it was poor disposal execution during play and poor kicking for goal, that cost us any chance of putting Geelong under any pressure.

Changing a game plan and changing how we defend in the space of a few weeks is a seriously hard task and I’m glad it’s improving, what I don’t understand is, dropping injured players and promoting players who deserve it, is the easiest thing to implement, it takes no skill to hold the group to higher standards.

Who's the forward line coach?

Why do all our forwards either stand still or only lead towards goal?

Why do none of them have go to set shot routines for all angles and distances. It's not good enough that Harry has a set shot routine that only works from one side. He needs one for when he can't snap too.

Aside from the obvious which has already been covered in the thread I think that's the team and Teagues biggest issue going forward. That 'expected score' stat based on historical data each position for shooting on goal shows us about 5th on the ladder. If we kicked at an expected level, not even above expected...

Weits and Walsh, incredible.

Tonight we were the best we have been structurally all year, the work we have put into our zone defense was much more sound, you can see the shift with a much better organized and tighter all ground press with much better positioning by closing down most of their options and easy ball movement...

Hats off to the coaches and players for the change, effort and now the signs of it progressing in the right direction...

We gave it our all tonight, our pressure and effort was wonderful from the first bounce, thought we played with great spirit and really worked hard for each other all night...

Our goal kicking really killed a lot of our momentum particularly from early on by really stamping ourselves with scoreboard pressure, big opportunity missed to get out to a much deserved lead by incredibly poor misses...

Our field kicking and turnovers was insipid at times another major factor that allowed them far too much easy ball back, killing many opportunities for ourselves with loose men in space ready to run and roll forward toward our goal...

Our ball movement/transition is pretty poor we constantly choose give the ball to teammates in obvious poor positions where that are taken down quickly, we have a poor understanding on how and where to run with space and overlap without putting ourselves under pressure, we don’t naturally run and chain up with flow...

The backline was superb tonight held up under pressure due to the quick rebounds from turnovers and undermanned structurally with Jones missing, Kudos...

Thought besides Walsh we were beaten in the midfield with most our mids not having a strong influence at all, solid games by a few but Geelong dominated it most of the night,...

Missing quite a few of our best 22 so for in that retrospect it was although frustrating we had a crack by most, Setterfield should never have been picked bemusing decision, Martin is obviously is not right and playing accordingly Williams the same nowhere near fit enough Fogarty gives it his best but has hardly any impact on the game as he should, Newnes another that has been average a fair bit of the year...

Again some good things to like defensively we finally are heading in the right direction and some really frustrating things that continue to hurt us...

Walsh outstanding, Saad and Weitering the clear standouts for us for me tonight from a cold hazy MCG...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a bad read this thread. Some good robust debate.

Think this is spot on. Walsh was very good. Weitering won his matchup but imo you played into our hands.

Allowing the +1 behind the ball made getting through us very hard. When you got through the zone scoring was easy but we managed to stop the supply. Reckon our ground ball prolificacy made it hard for Teague.

He mentioned it at HT so even up our +1 and you lose the +1 at the contest or in our forward line and given how we were winning the ball at secondary contests and were getting it in more often that’d be a hard risk to take.

Reckon a fit and firing Curnow up forward is the key for you guys. McKay is performing very well as the lone target. Having a good foil will make you and him so much more potent.
Was an insane strategy. Was very obvious we shouldn’t allow it. Yet we did. I don’t know who can beat the Cats allowing that. You play a spare (or 2) behind the ball. Then just be patient and wait for an error.

It was dumb by us in my view. Yet despite that if we had kicked straighter it would have been closer.

Targeting the same players aren't thoughts, they are agendas
I like both of your posts and agree with this to a degree - however, if player in question does perform poorly week in week out and has never demonstrated fair reasoning for their selection in the team then it’s not an agenda

For example, David Ellard being targeted is not an agenda

Targeting a Dow is an agenda though, as he has shown plenty

Just my 2c to try and defuse a chat between two posters I like 👍🏽

Considering the outs,mTeague attempted to adjust the gameplan. It felt like there was a plan in action tonight, just lack execution in front of goals and kicking out of the defensive 50. TDK with two shocking kicks, just needs to learns his limits, but I am sure he was playing to the gameplan, so no massive issue there.

I was a Fog fan in his junior days, but his limited output as a junior has followed him to senior level.

Setterfield, Fog, Williamson - They're probably borderline selections and could make way for a returning player or stronger player in the seconds.

Cripps - I would not mind him having the rest of the season to get his body right for 2021.

Williams - A lot of money for an average HBF'er - List manager needs a good talking to with regards to this selection.

Slightly worried about Cap space moving forward with our list manager warping the wages with the Saad and Williams purchases, then no doubt being forced to pay big money for Cripps.
Setters was simply awful.

This is true.

Apparently we have a bunch of players we simply can't play (Honey, Ramsay, LOB, Kemp, etc) so Setterfield has to come in.

Yet last year we moved on Goddard, Kreuzer, Macreadie, Silvagni and Moore. To replace them we added Oscar McDonald and... Parks, who is massively undersized. Then Mirkov who is a long term project midyear.

Goddard and Moore would have played today.
Setterfield was doing well last year...he seems gutted these days....just when we needed some help
a lot of people had him as a good find and certain mid of the future.....would have been a nice job for him?

Inaccurate kciking is a bit of a morale destroyer - thought most of the team played really well - Martin and Williams are very disapointing to me tbh - makes me kinda sad. Still losing both Jones and Levi was a cruel blow. Big congrats to TDK's effort.

No need to talk of Walsh or Weitering - super stars and Saad played another blinder.

For me more positives than negatives- just underlines the importance of Honey/Philp/Cuningham as future better mid/forwards - we are carrying 2-3 soft passengers atm and you cant really afford to do that.

Onwards and upwards!

Nice post, agree with all bar maybe one thing - I thought William’s creativity and dare out of the backline is just what we needed. So often we just kick long down the boundary, but he takes his man on and gets things moving, often down the corridor. Didn’t always work, but the intent is there.

Admittedly I missed bits of the game

Sounds more like injuries than list management.
Regardless, I’m not looking to blame anyone for tonight’s performance. And I certainly wouldn’t blame the coach for eleven straight behinds.
My angst is on a much broader level.
I blame him for being incapable of getting this very talented side to play at their best for four quarters, week in week out. We’re an ordinary side due to a very ordinary coach.
Not the list.
You can train for and improve goal kicking or dismiss it at a given

I like both of your posts and agree with this to a degree - however, if player in question does perform poorly week in week out and has never demonstrated fair reasoning for their selection in the team then it’s not an agenda

For example, David Ellard being targeted is not an agenda

Targeting a Dow is an agenda though, as he has shown plenty

Just my 2c to try and defuse a chat between two posters I like 👍🏽

Never mentioned Dow

Facts..
Were just not that good... We're a bottom 8 team...

Tier 1 - Walsh, Weitering
Tier 2 - Cripps, Jones & McKay (Lazy at times)

Everyone else is so inconsistent, lazy, disinterested at times, they have a great patch then go missing..
I think Saad deserves a mention but other than that (unfortunately) you are just about right.

We decided short kicks where the game plan due to lack of talls but couldn’t execute

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 17 Blues undersized and overwhelmed

Back