Preview Rd 18 Pies V Cats Fri July 12 2024 740 pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, except for the very tall 200cm+ types (McKay, King bros., Daniher etc.). As much as it's probably still an overall win for us that Mihocek is out, I think he's almost the perfect opponent for Kolo.
Yeah, not ideal but think that SDK in midfield is more important and Kolo undersized is ok. I think he can can take curnow, hipwood and Henry can cover the 200 plus. Maybe wrong but SDK contesting on ground level was very impressive yesterday and last week. With Blitz and Neale the shift it capable in game. Our created flexibility is the best in the competition now and something which gives us an edge.

I think with the Pies injuries they'll have a few headaches at selection when they look at our weapons. Cameron - Stengle - Dangerfield - Stewart - Holmes. They still have a few players we need to put some thought into - the priority being Nick Daicos.

Not sure who our best match up is but as Hardwick pointed out recently, you need to have a plan and if the game is close in the last - be prepared to rotate a fresh player onto him and double down. So with that in mind, I think our sub will be someone we can swing into the game in the last who can play a lockdown role. For that reason I think we'll see either O'Connor or Mullin back in. Maybe O'Connor gets a full game and Mullin as the sub to come on and run with Daicos.

Jhye Clark will get his spell - so there's one spot. Knevitt might be stiff and miss out again unless the club thinks Duncan or Tuohy is due for a rest. We've recently come off a bye so I'm not sure it's a case of players desperately needing a rest yet. Will be an interesting week at selection. I think Humphries stays based on his last 2 weeks - he gives us a different look and is a very good ball user. Another option is Mannagh - play him as a defensive half forward and just tell him to stick on Daicos when he's floating across half back - his defensive efforts and tackle pressure on the weekend were a highlight. When Daicos is on the ball we switch up and have O'Connor or Atkins hunt him.

I think with the Pies injuries they'll have a few headaches at selection when they look at our weapons. Cameron - Stengle - Dangerfield - Stewart - Holmes. They still have a few players we need to put some thought into - the priority being Nick Daicos.

Not sure who our best match up is but as Hardwick pointed out recently, you need to have a plan and if the game is close in the last - be prepared to rotate a fresh player onto him and double down. So with that in mind, I think our sub will be someone we can swing into the game in the last who can play a lockdown role. For that reason I think we'll see either O'Connor or Mullin back in. Maybe O'Connor gets a full game and Mullin as the sub to come on and run with Daicos.

Jhye Clark will get his spell - so there's one spot. Knevitt might be stiff and miss out again unless the club thinks Duncan or Tuohy is due for a rest. We've recently come off a bye so I'm not sure it's a case of players desperately needing a rest yet. Will be an interesting week at selection. I think Humphries stays based on his last 2 weeks - he gives us a different look and is a very good ball user. Another option is Mannagh - play him as a defensive half forward and just tell him to stick on Daicos when he's floating across half back - his defensive efforts and tackle pressure on the weekend were a highlight. When Daicos is on the ball we switch up and have O'Connor or Atkins hunt him.
Like it, but was O’Connor rested or injured (in twos) on the weekend?

Last edited:

Like it, but was O’Connor rested or injured on the weekend?
Omitted

Played VFL but didn't play out the match - I believe someone mentioned he had ice on his knee or something after halftime

Yes, cleared of broken ribs but reportedly in doubt for Friday. They don't have another fit ruck so will have to play Kreuger or Frampton as ruck if Cameron misses.
Hoestly, with no Mihocek and with Cox still sidelined they would need Kreuger up forward.
They should copy us and ruck Moore.

Maybe the Hawks were flat coming back from Perth and were due a loss but that four quarter effort from us was very encouraging.
The SDK , Stewart moves to mid plus Danger returning has stiffened us up considerably ( pun intended ;) )
A better performing midfield , particularly when we stop quick exits out front of stoppage does wonders for our whole set up. Helps our now undersize defence incredibly.

What a game from Mannagh - really wanted it and seems very comfortable as a mid as well as high HF - can see why avid VFL watchers have been pumping his tyres. Adds something between the arcs , exciting.
Humphries - had little to do in the first half , got caught a few times but covers the ground very well and makes great decisions - those 2 goal assists were worthy of a veteran, he also adds something special down back and has fantastic potential as a distributor.
With Neale and Dempsey looking solid ( Dempsey exceptional) and Clark cracking in and developing the future looks rosy :think:

Would absolutely give the Daicos job to Atkins after his great job on Merrett a fortnight ago. Daicos will burn him (or anyone for that matter) if he has space, but if Atkins can keep things tight and congested, it could go a long way to getting the ascendancy. De Goey and Pendlebury always dangerous but both have recently returned from injury layoffs and haven't been at their best.

Would absolutely give the Daicos job to Atkins after his great job on Merrett a fortnight ago. Daicos will burn him (or anyone for that matter) if he has space, but if Atkins can keep things tight and congested, it could go a long way to getting the ascendancy. De Goey and Pendlebury always dangerous but both have recently returned from injury layoffs and haven't been at their best.
Atkins was a good match up for Merrett but I fear what Daicos would do to him. O'Connor is actually reasonably quick across the ground which is why I thought it was a better match up - and obviously Mullin who I think would run well with him.

Looked like he was on Newcombe this weekend and again did a good job. Newcombe got a bit of ball but didn't have a huge impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Win this and we’ll make finals! If not it’s still up in the air with some 50/50 contests to come. Get it done cats!
We're playing finals even if we lose this. Folly to think otherwise.

We're playing finals even if we lose this. Folly to think otherwise.

Not sure about that. We definitely should win and push hard for top 4. But after the two month period of utter rubbish we saw round 8 til the Bombers nothing is really a given. I'm not penciling in games v Dogs, North or Saints.

Not sure about that. We definitely should win and push hard for top 4. But after the two month period of utter rubbish we saw round 8 til the Bombers nothing is really a given. I'm not penciling in games v Dogs, North or Saints.
Absolutely certain. Lock us in.
Dogs, Saints and North are lay down misere's.

CE always references odds, and is rarely shown to be wrong when heavily in our favour. The mug punters aren't often wrong.

Screenshot 2024-07-08 184545.png

Certainly the Pies have a few regulars out at this point, Cox, Elliott, maybe Cameron if he's doubtful and Mihocek will be missing too, I think he copped an injury on the weekend. But the Pies remain dangerous, as they have this pressure and run-ball sort of style that when on is a bit like the Tigers of their successful era. They have a bunch of role players, bordering on almost 'nobodies' who can still bob up and score. McCreery for one, Crisp somehow emerged last week as a goalkicker with three, and I still have nightmares over the unheralded Frampton who in Rd 1 2021 was a forward-line force pretending to be Wayne Carey with 8 marks and kicking 2.2 for the Crows as they upset Geelong. And of course they have a pair of Daicoses who can make magic, although perhaps to help mozz the Pies a bit I'll make Nick the supercoach skipper, as he's been a bit off with his disposal efficiency in recent games.

I do feel that Geelong has regained some belief and confidence, and if Cameron is out for the Pies he might actually be the more accomplished ruckman on the ground. Paradoxically if Stanley was to be rucking he'd probably find a way to make whatever the Pies have (Kruger/Frampton) look like Polly Farmer for a game, and speaking of former Cat Kruger, he's been having more impact for the pies recently, in fairness to him he's had a bad run with injuries in his career so far for both teams.

But it's time we put the foot down, it's also a bit of a trend with Cats/Pies games that sides tend to not have too many wins in a row over each other, they won both games last year so it's time this season. Last year in Rd 1 we started amazing hot with 16.1 to about 11.9, before they kicked the last 8 goals of the game and we wound up with 16.7, and the latter game we led handsomely for most of the first half match before the Pies came out with a big 40 minutes of footy that crunched us before a late rally saw us 8 points shy. But their game style relies on pressure and running, but I feel with a few vital parts missing we can overcome this, having Mannagh emulate his 14 tackles again would be fighting fire with fire. And a fit and relatively fresh Danger is a huge weapon for us too.

Let's get it done, Catters and that will entrench us in the 8, and make the Pie's hold in there tenuous at best.

Outstanding post and brilliant detailed preview of the game

The 1st 8-9 posts in this thread i thought i had somehow stumbled onto the Richmond board

Like you say the Magpies have got plenty of injuries , if it was any other team i would be super confident about Geel winning this week , given the Cats form the past 2 weeks , with the ins and outs of the team and the different positions some players are now playing , however Coll have upset Geel , when the Cats have started favourite in the past

The Premiership is up for grabs and this year it is open as The Sydney Heads , this is a vital game , any win will be a good win even if it is by 1 point

Outstanding post and brilliant detailed preview of the game

The 1st 8-9 posts in this thread i thought i had somehow stumbled onto the Richmond board

Like you say the Magpies have got plenty of injuries , if it was any other team i would be super confident about Geel winning this week , given the Cats form the past 2 weeks , with the ins and outs of the team and the different positions some players are now playing , however Coll have upset Geel , when the Cats have started favourite in the past

The Premiership is up for grabs and this year it is open as The Sydney Heads , this is a vital game , any win will be a good win even if it is by 1 point
Although Collingwood's form line hasn't been great the past 3 matches, they have been in all 3 games and had dominant patches within all 3. Not a lot would have had to change for them to snatch another victory over the past fortnight.

They also had some very impressive performances earlier in the year with more injuries than they have for this game.

With their season essentially on the line, I am not anticipating such in-game inconsistency from them this week. They will bring something close to their best effort.

Genuine 50/50 game.

Although Collingwood's form line hasn't been great the past 3 matches, they have been in all 3 games and had dominant patches within all 3. Not a lot would have had to change for them to snatch another victory over the past fortnight.

They also had some very impressive performances earlier in the year with more injuries than they have for this game.

With their season essentially on the line, I am not anticipating such in-game inconsistency from them this week. They will bring something close to their best effort.

Genuine 50/50 game.

Absolutely correct, and would expect a big response from them this week.

We are going to have to be at our best to win this.

You can almost guarantee that Nick Daicos will dominate in this game for one thing.

I think Cameron and Rohan really unsettle Collingwood so I think we can put the score on the board if we just limit the damage from their still very much intact and very good midfield.

Aside from the Carlton bashing, I like us at the MCG too.

Yeah as mentioned above Cameron is doubtful. Massive out for them if he does miss. Who’s left for them, Krueger or Frampton?

I think they will jab up cameron and he will play for that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back