Review Rd 19 Review - Freo Dont Lose Against Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

My thoughts.

So, obviously we didn't kick many goals - was it the forwards fault, midfielders bombing it in, Richmond playing +1 behind the ball, half backs not moving it quickly enough ? I think it was all of those things. I think losing Fyfe effectively half-way through the 2nd quarter also made Richmond's job easier to defend. I thought he was just starting to look dangerous before tweaking his hammy - not saying he would have kicked 6 goals, but it made their lives easier.

We definitely missed Lobb, but our ball movement was a bit slow and Richmond were good at stopping it half way or at the half back flank with a tackle here, an arm in there. We tried to do overlap run, just couldn't get through them. If Lobb doesn't get up, I think we need another tall option, particularly with Fyfe out as well. Do we play Meek ? Treacy ? Not sure.

We played better defensively than last week - in fact our second half was really strong. Kept them to 4 scores, and a couple of misses / stuff-ups. 2 goals 2 in a half from a team that normally scores close to 90-100 points each week is really good. I saw one stat on Fox Footy that in the 2nd half Richmond scored 7 points from 40 turnovers, which is incredibly good defending.

Next week against Melbourne we will need to find a better way of getting the ball through their defence, as it's also really strong.

Those criticising Darcy are a bit harsh in my view, Nankervis is a good ruckman, effectively in the same mould as Darcy, and they also had Ivan Soldo as a true second ruck with Noah Balta also going through there as well. He wasn't our best player, but was definitely serviceable. Thought Serong was really good, Acres and Chappy improved from last week, Liam Henry showed some good poise when he had the ball, and Young was awesome.

Team selection caused some head scratching through the season but we were winning so it didn't matter. Since the bye the teams form, structures and connection has been often poor so these selection decisions need to start getting more scrutiny.

The most glaring tonight was going in one tall short, leaving out an in-form tall in the wafl. Seems like a super arrogant decision from the club to me, largely why our score was so low.

Last edited:
Decided to make a comeback here after not posting for a while - my thoughts on tonight’s effort:
Snuffaluphagus may not believe this but I’ve jumped right off the delist Bailey Banfield club. 😂 He’s played very solid stuff in recent weeks and you could argue right now is the only forward on the list playing career best footy. He’s become very very good at those left foot around the corner snaps. Even though playing on in the first quarter after the Brayshaw tackle was poor footy IQ. Saying that Brayshaw probably would have missed anyway 😩
  • there is an obvious lack of class in the forward part of the ground. You just don’t win flags with blunt forward lines. There is no natural goal scorer. Not one. Will Luke Jackson fix that? Doubtful. A lot riding into he shoulders of Amiss and Treacy into the future.
  • young was superb. Reads the game so well to take those intercept marks. Big tick with pick 7, three years in.
  • tabs got a tough night from an inform Tarrant.
  • Darcy needs a kick in the ass. He’s been living off reputation for a good few weeks now. Still a very inconsistent ruckman. To win any finals Darcy needs to be in the coaches votes almost.
  • is Frederick a little bit nervous when bodies are flying in?? Great smother on Balta indeed, but jeez that was a feeble contest against Pickett with ten seconds left. Very very lucky boy that Cumberland played on.
  • Pearce should be banned from kicking! That Clanger in the first half for the Bolton goal was almost comical. And where exactly was he kicking it anyway? Looked like he was taking on the miracle kick in the corridor, like WTF Alex?
  • Wilson in for Walker probably makes sense next game.
  • Colyer needs to play ahead of Henry IMO. While Liam was serviceable with ball in hand, he’s a liability in terms of defensive pressure. Colyer was decent when he came on and looked like he had a point to prove.
  • Acres, I’ve never really fully bought into the hype this year. Yes he had some decent games early on. But you can’t turn in two poor games after demanding a better and longer deal from the club. He was close enough to delist material at the beginning of this season. I’d grab the deal on the table if I was him before any more dodgy performances.
  • Logue needs to be signed ASAP. If this club lets Logue go I will vomit. Just pay the man what he’s worth for Christ’s sake (something around $500-600k per annum in my opinion). Young versatile KPP aged 24 like him are rare. Plenty of other dispensable players like Tucker, Blakely, Acres, Wilson etc that can be cleared out ahead of Logue if $$ are tight.
Very fine post, except the Colyer Henry bit. Colyer gets few touches and makes mistakes, critical mistakes like lack of awareness and getting run down or rubbish disposal like last week. Henry is all skill and class, can find someone to give off to in even the hottest situation.
I like him big time for our future.

Not really. How shite have we been playing since his return..
In all honesty we’ve had one great game since the victory at Kardinia (vs Melbourne), even the Brisbane victory doesn’t look as good in retrospect with how patchy they’ve been. Blaming Fyfe for our inconsistent form is a bit much considering he was responsible for our only good inside 50 connection all night.

Very fine post, except the Colyer Henry bit. Colyer gets few touches and makes mistakes, critical mistakes like lack of awareness and getting run down or rubbish disposal like last week. Henry is all skill and class, can find someone to give off to in even the hottest situation.
I like him big time for our future.
Colyer offers way more than Henry.

To be honest (and I don't want to be disrespectful to Tigers fans), but I felt Richmond were throwing their full finals level effort and intensity at the game last night, so taken in that context, I think our team could have taken a lot out of that experience.
They were like the Tigers of 2017-2020 when we had the ball but luckily when they had the ball they were like Tigers pre-2017.

In all honesty we’ve had one great game since the victory at Kardinia (vs Melbourne), even the Brisbane victory doesn’t look as good in retrospect with how patchy they’ve been. Blaming Fyfe for our inconsistent form is a bit much considering he was responsible for our only good inside 50 connection all night.
Brisbane game was a high quality contest I wouldn't be downgrading that win.

Brisbane played better that day then what they have in recent times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Colyer offers way more than Henry.

The only thing Colyer has over Henry at the moment is experience. He knows where to run and the right time to run which Henry is slowly getting better at.

Henry was good last night, his vision when ball is in his hand is top notch and he has the skills to match.

Brisbane game was a high quality contest I wouldn't be downgrading that win.

Brisbane played better that day then what they have in recent times.
Yeah but you could say the same about last night. Richmond were relentless with tackling pressure. We’re not really respecting our opponents here, keep in mind the core of this Richmond team was only a Mason Cox prelim final rampage away from doing four in a row recently.

Yeah but you could say the same about last night. Richmond were relentless with tackling pressure. We’re not really respecting our opponents here, keep in mind the core of this Richmond team was only a Mason Cox prelim final rampage away from doing four in a row recently.
I am ok with last night. 2 points is better then 0. And I reckon Richmond were just the better team. Not by much but I thought there defence pressure and tackling was elite.

We should have got more then 2.1 in the last though we dominated 75% of that last qtr. One more scratchy behind would have been enough.

I hope JL noticed the sub rort that Richmond pulled and uses it at backend of the year in last 10 mins if we haven't had a injury.

The AFL don't give a flying toss.

Still fuming about that, if Rioli had not have been illegally subbed Colyer would not have been run down by a fresh player. Utter bullshit.

Anyone know is we have re-signed Matthew yet?

“Shots on goal from Caleb Serong, Michael Walters and Will Brodie all failed to score while Matt Logue missed a set shot from 45m out in front”

How the hell football journalists have jobs is beyond me?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Rd 19 Review - Freo Dont Lose Against Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back