Autopsy Rd 21 - Blues go home at half time. Get blitzed in the second half

Remove this Banner Ad

Mundy on Cripps was an important move. Mundy is a Victorian and a FA. Older but big bodied mid/fwd who would be handy for a year or so

Very good move, and I think it said a lot about leadership, whether it came from the coaches' box, or the senior players out on the ground. Wouldn't it be nice if once, just once, when someone like Neale gets a roll on, we could send Murphy to him? I don't know what is more depressing, that nobody ever thinks of it, or that it never happens because Bolton knows what the outcome would be...

I know that a lot of our senior players are injured and labouring. But I also think it's true that most of them were unrounded players to begin with, and that they have spent long stretches of their careers without meaningfully addressing their worst weaknesses. Cripps has been a notable exception, and even he still has work to do on his defensive play, especially if he attends D50 stoppages.

In the first we played accountable footy, took the game on with run and deserved to lead by 13 points. Lobbe’s first half was influential, the twin peaks in the forward half were combining well, on ball we showed plenty of endeavour and spread and the defenders held the opposition to 37 points.

It’s easy to think that the third quarter was the result of a drop in effort. For me the zing went out of the effort.

Lobbe battled on but I think he was cooked by his first half. Dow, influential in the first half, disappeared in the second half. Again his first half is all he is capable of at this stage. O’Brien received some valuable tuition from Brad Hill who started quietly but kept on running.

Mundy and Neale killed us in the third quarter. They not be fast but each of them found the footy in close and hurt us on the scoreboard. I’d like to know who was responsible for Wilson and kick whoever it was in the backside. He’s a great kick and hit Freo targets in the forward half so it’s a mystery to me why that wasn’t fixed.

Statistics indicate we did enough to be right in this game. Our inability to maintain the run we showed in the first half was evident in the third quarter and the bigger bodies around the contest buried our chances.

Okay.

There is a lot of posters in here that are remarkably level for a result like this. It's good, kind of. I don't really get it, but it's better for the board that's the case; we don't spend thread after thread at each other's throats. But I don't see how a loss is more acceptable because it's closer.

The signs of good play have been there most weeks; Dow blitzing opposition through the middle a few times a game, O'Brien demonstrating superb balance and that exquisite left foot, SPS putting himself under the ball and putting his body on the line, and showing some sideways movement, Curnow and McKay making defenders near a decade older and stronger look slow and dumb and frankly a bit weak. Today was more McKay's day than Charlie's in my opinion; Charlie could've torn them wide open, taken the game in his hands, were he willing to play a bit smarter rather than get engaged by a wrestler.

Like every week, when our senior players perform at a par level or better, we shine, and so we did in the first half. There were some unbelievable goals, off the back of some genuine gut running through the corridor, and frankly we tore up their zone with our kickins at times in the first half in a way that we simply haven't since Doc ran our backline. I like Lamb kicking in, for some reason his kicks whilst just as directionless as Simmos seem he hits targets or at least the ball fails to get turned over immediately.

The third term was putrid, and it was off the back of them setting up to deny Cripps the ball, situating Neale on the direct opposite side of the stoppage and smashing Lobbe (did that all game in the hitouts, but their stoppage work came out especially in the third) in the hitouts. Then, when we got the ball, they set an extra man behind the ball, and like utter fools we just gave the ball back to them every time we smashed the thing forward. In the first half, our tackles stuck where they didn't in the third; our running and our kicks were for each other, where they weren't in the third; we played in front, leading and repeat efforts when we had the ball in the first half where we didn't in the third. We actually won three terms today, but lost the game by 5 goals (someone else said this in the gameday thread, can't remember who). We stopped winning or at least halving the clearances, and they denied us the ball; their stronger through the hips mids burst through the tackler's arms, in situations where the tackler really should've had the strength to bring them to ground.

I define the above as a failure at least in some measure to Bolton, as he allowed their setup to change and let them modify the game from the turnover based scoring game it was early - with us coming out better - to a stoppage based game, in which they were able to score without letting us at the ball. That said, it's something that'll come out during the week in the review, so hopefully he learns from it.

Two more games to go. Let's see if we can pinch one. Never be satisfied with close enough; never get so low after a loss that you lose perspective.

Carn the Blues!
Brilliant summation G. I don't think the on-field leaders could adjust around the ball in the third.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny game. First half there was a lot to like and we were well in the game. The siren sounds for the 3rd quarter and for whatever reason we switched off.

Something I’ve noticed in a fair number of our losses this season is that we often have one quarter that costs us the game, where essentially the opposition gets a run on and we can’t stop it. And I honestly can’t put my finger on it. We were genuinely right in the game up to half time and the last quarter both sides scored three goals a piece, yet we just switched off in that 3rd quarter.

It’s hard to know why it happens. Perhaps it’s partially a fitness thing, we’re not able to apply our effort consistently across 4 quarters. Perhaps partially a mental thing as well, not yet able to put teams away. I honestly don’t know.

Funny game. First half there was a lot to like and we were well in the game. The siren sounds for the 3rd quarter and for whatever reason we switched off.

Something I’ve noticed in a fair number of our losses this season is that we often have one quarter that costs us the game, where essentially the opposition gets a run on and we can’t stop it. And I honestly can’t put my finger on it. We were genuinely right in the game up to half time and the last quarter both sides scored three goals a piece, yet we just switched off in that 3rd quarter.

It’s hard to know why it happens. Perhaps it’s partially a fitness thing, we’re not able to apply our effort consistently across 4 quarters. Perhaps partially a mental thing as well, not yet able to put teams away. I honestly don’t know.
it's a killer

Just watched the game - it was more frustrating than last week by a mile for me. Maybe because I went into it thinking we would win. First half was good as I'm sure other people have commented, but the basic mistakes, dumb decisions and half-hearted efforts in the second half did my head in.

Big props to Lobbe who I thought was excellent, particularly in the first half.

I just want to know where the hell our run went in the second half. As soon as Freo put a few on the board we went into our shells. With maturity and experience that probably won't happen in years to come, but **** me it was frustrating today.

Just watched the game - it was more frustrating than last week by a mile for me. Maybe because I went into it thinking we would win. First half was good as I'm sure other people have commented, but the basic mistakes, dumb decisions and half-hearted efforts in the second half did my head in.

Big props to Lobbe who I thought was excellent, particularly in the first half.

I just want to know where the hell our run went in the second half. As soon as Freo put a few on the board we went into our shells. With maturity and experience that probably won't happen in years to come, but **** me it was frustrating today.
tell me about it! Spent over $100 on light piss to watch an insipid second half. Must cost people like me a fortune in Vic!!!!!

Only watched the first half today and was feeling quite upbeat as we were a couple of goals ahead when i went out for dinner.

Caught the three quarter time score and thought what the **** we have gone backwards by 7 goals. Must have been some third quarter.

Got home and went through the match day thread which depressed me even more.

Cant see us picking up two wins in the last fortnight so i guess it is another spoon :'(:'(:'(

Only watched the first half today and was feeling quite upbeat as we were a couple of goals ahead when i went out for dinner.

Caught the three quarter time score and thought what the **** we have gone backwards by 7 goals. Must have been some third quarter.

Got home and went through the match day thread which depressed me even more.

Cant see us picking up two wins in the last fortnight so i guess it is another spoon :'(:'(:'(
It's all your fault AA!!!!

Nah seriously hope you had a great day with family Andy ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 21 - Blues go home at half time. Get blitzed in the second half

Remove this Banner Ad

Back