Preview Rd 22 Cats V Freo Sat Aug 10 2024 435pm @ Optus

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all have different realities.

I'm not saying what's right or wrong: just that our individual perceptions are our realities.

Weird in a way, but in each person's cycle, their reality is unmovable.

I haven't been a fan of Duncan's this year, but I agree with your perception that he's been better than 2e.
Okay I agree on reflection. I edited out the first line of that post which criticised Boris. Can you please review it and agree it is a perfectly valid post now? It is now 100% about football. If people then want to make Tuohy's case (i.e "better than Duncan this season" I'm all ears.

Okay I agree on reflection. I edited out the first line of that post which criticised Boris. Can you please review it and agree it is a perfectly valid post now? It is now 100% about football. If people then want to make Tuohy's case (i.e "better than Duncan this season" I'm all ears.

I apologise if I came across as an editor or something. Not what I intended.

I agree with your position. Was only concerned you were going too hard at the poster themselves.

Again, I agree with you.....I don't see 2e as being ahead of Duncan......and I'm not sold on Duncan.

I'm just as interested now in the case for Tuohy v Duncan as you.

I'm with you Pure...Can only hope Blitz plays in defence and Neale plays as the 2nd ruck... ( but Blitz hasn't played defence for ages, I highly doubt it)
Blitz will play back...and 2E will go back to the wing given we have Duncan back

I think worth a crack with Blitz back as he just hasn't got going this year on the wing or in the middle. This week he can play on Jackson when he is playing forward and maybe follow him when he goes into the ruck to give Stanley a chop out. I am hopeful (maybe too optimistic) that this could be another move (like Stewart and SDK) that unlocks a player in need of a different look

I agree with your position. Was only concerned you were going too hard at the poster themselves.

Again, I agree with you.....I don't see 2e as being ahead of Duncan......and I'm not sold on Duncan.

Nah it's all good, I actually appreciate it - there is no need on this type of discussion to be unnecessarily abrasive - best to stick to the facts. So I'd rather keep it on those terms.

Anyway we'll get the case for Tuohy soon from BORIS332 and it should be interesting.

Blitz will play back...and 2E will go back to the wing given we have Duncan back

I think worth a crack with Blitz back as he just hasn't got going this year on the wing or in the middle. This week he can play on Jackson when he is playing forward and maybe follow him when he goes into the ruck to give Stanley a chop out. I am hopeful (maybe too optimistic) that this could be another move (like Stewart and SDK) that unlocks a player in need of a different look
If anything Tuohy has been better in defence than on the wing. Even though I have doubts we can consistently squeeze he and Duncan into the same defence, so it's a paradox.

At least in defence as a spare, Tuohy can sweep things up. Whereas on the wings where you need run, run, run - I just don't see what he offers. If anything a wing is where slow players get burned the most, as we saw at times with Duncan in 2023.

Despite what I said about Tuohy I can very obviously see that he has had good patches. I'm not even 100% on him needing to be out of the team, despite reservations for 2 years that he and Duncan shouldn't share the same defence. You can cover one (as long as they have the necessary strengths to account for deficiencies) but to cover two is tricky.

But when people come in and go "people don't realise Tuohy's actually been better than Duncan I'm not sure why you guys aren't bashing the latter" (P.S Duncan has been bashed a fair bit the last 2 years - he simply gets defended by others whereas it's getting hard to do that for Tuohy) I don't mind articulating why I strongly disagree with that.

It's ageism. Kolo, SDK and especially Henry have all had bad days. Our losses promote calling them out- Gryan a little quiet, Cameron was, Rohan on occasion, Blics frequently, Duncan clumsy. Stanley shit. Hawk feeling his age. We could go on.
There might be a little confirmation bias at play- not unknown in this forum, and the penchant for whipping boys.
The Duncan knockers remind me of the Kolo kickers- it's too soon, and form is kinetic.
You took a stance on Touhy, but at least can admit he's still a chess piece, so that's a balanced view.

If anything Tuohy has been better in defence than on the wing. Even though I have doubts we can consistently squeeze he and Duncan into the same defence, so it's a paradox.

At least in defence as a spare, Tuohy can sweep things up. Whereas on the wings where you need run, run, run - I just don't see what he offers. If anything a wing is where slow players get burned the most, as we saw at times with Duncan in 2023.

Defence has been Tuohy's thing, and he's been brilliant for years, but as much as I've loved him he's done for mine.

He's not Best 22 imo.

Defence has been Tuohy's thing, and he's been brilliant for years, but as much as I've loved him he's done for mine.

He's not Best 22 imo.

The future is evolving under our very eyes- Humphries, Dempsey, Mannagh, Neale, Bowes and Zuthrie's rise.
He'll be squeezed out soon enough, but with injury to SDK he might still prove useful this week?
Let's hope so.

The future is evolving under our very eyes- Humphries, Dempsey, Mannagh, Neale, Bowes and Zuthrie's rise.
He'll be squeezed out soon enough, but with injury to SDK he might still prove useful this week?
Let's hope so.

I hope he justifies the faith if / when he's given a game.

The same can be said with my arguement with 2E as you have with Bews

Where was the said team defense when Rachelle was running riot?
I get you have your got your issues with Bews
But our issues with our backline as not on one player.

Says a lot but Bews had a better game than Kolo last week

Bews doesn't read the play well enough to regularly come off his man like Duncan and Tuohy do. And then when he does win it his disposal doesn't let him damage going the other way like the other two can. The fluid team defence doesn't work with him.

So you give him a specific lockdown role. But he got torched on the weekend. Torched to a level that has basically never happened before in his career.

And if he's not locking down an opponent then the rest of his game is too limited to be useful. Which is why he's been stuck in the VFL most of the year and has been dropped again.

Bews doesn't read the play well enough to regularly come off his man like Duncan and Tuohy do. And then when he does win it his disposal doesn't let him damage going the other way like the other two can. The fluid team defence doesn't work with him.

So you give him a specific lockdown role. But he got torched on the weekend. Torched to a level that has basically never happened before in his career.

And if he's not locking down an opponent then the rest of his game is too limited to be useful. Which is why he's been stuck in the VFL most of the year and has been dropped again.
Tuohy this last month has been a disaster at times with the ball and has directly cost us goals trying the impossible kick when an easier option was available and would have given us a breakaway.

And Bews is quicker than Tuohy.
Big ground to be taking two slower players into with Duncan and Tuohy when the smart move was to take one of them.

We have no one to keep pace with Frederick, Bews was the best alternative there. Hope its not Frederick that tears us apart but with the way the MC has been making some errors with its selections this year I fear thats what happens.

Treacy out hurts Freo but if that means Jackson stays forward for 70% thats still a problem for us with SDK out unless they leave Blicavs in defence and Neale pinch hits the ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I 100% agree with you. I was very happy when he moved to defence as I thought his defensive efforts on the wing was very poor (although he did have a couple of nice offensive games there). But given Jackson as a forward and no SDK I think we will see a switch between blitz and 2E. Hopefully just for this circumstance

We have no one to keep pace with Frederick, Bews was the best alternative there.

Merrick maybe. But I think he picked up an injury in the VFL, reports have been sketchy at best. But when fit Merrick has the leg speed, and more importantly brain speed, to clamp down on the likes of Frederick. Just doesn't get enough of the footy himself.

I am sold on Duncan we look better with him in the side he is such a good ball user and has that composure to set up the corridor kick to get us going to a good inside 50. Sign him up already for another year.

I hope he plays defence, but it doesn't mean he will thou

Treacy out means we may avoid the horror of Blicavs in the backline. The thought of him wheeling onto that left foot for a kick across goal is giving me palpitations.
They have brought in another guy the same size in Voss. So we need another Key Defender to hope help them out, hope that's Blitz

Our defensive group is all about maximising the number of players capable of making the outlet kick. Think back to last year and the effect of when Sav had the ball in hand, any chance of a quick threatening ball movement gone. You want as many players with the confidence to move the ball forward through congestion and with the quick decision making ability to switch to get the ball to 2nd player into space. Every poor ball user reduces the angles that the otherside's structure has to cover. Which allows them to play more compact. Having Tuohy sitting on the arc as the connecting kick for the switch, forces them to cover the centre of the ground, even if we don't switch at all and go up the skinny side, it opens up space for our forwards (Dempsey, Miers, Cameron) to work into who then break through the zone without having to win a contest, aerially or on the ground.

On Duncan and Tuohy, they don't have to be player they were., their kicking will be the last thing to go. And their on paper defensive weakness becomes irrelevant in the same way playing shorter KPDs is, if we can't score it doesn't matter how much we concede, and if our team defence fails then no amount of gut running by small defenders will be enough over the entire body of contests to make up for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back