Preview Rd 22 Cats V Freo Sat Aug 10 2024 435pm @ Optus

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given how few defensive 1 on 1 marking contest there are in a game I 'm glad we will play smaller in the defence.

No kpd in for sdk leaves me nervous hopefully we can handle their forwards..clearly no faith in jeka.

Bews out is unsurprising..hes had a good career. Reckon the same thing will happen to tuohy in 2-3 weeks.
I'm with you Pure...Can only hope Blitz plays in defence and Neale plays as the 2nd ruck... ( but Blitz hasn't played defence for ages, I highly doubt it)

I must say i like Tuohy in the side , beautiful kick , and he has put in some good games this year

What i find quite humorous , is when a player like Hardie is discussed ( and im not suggesting at all that he should be in the senior team ) however the ones who have steadfastly said he isnt up to it , they have pedalled out the same line , oh look mate , the coaches and selectors are alot closer to the scene than you , and thus ive got full confidence in them continually overlooking him

Well all i can say to the ones who dont want Tuohy in the side ( and some even want him retired ) is that ive got full confidence in the coach and selectors who are alot closer to the action than they are .

I'm with you, we may think he's shot, but they don't. It's that simple. Must meet some given targets invisible to the mere mortal spectator. Kicking is superlative, still a long inboard kick, sometimes wasted or let down by the mids and ruck.
Far less OBF's than Bews. You have to admit he's lost a yard, even if occasionally attacks with red line fever, and knows that backline system inside out. The game is just scrums and fast hands now, I admit to doing my block and calling him too slow.

As for Jed, I have a sneaky suspicion they put him in as reward, and to raise his value, give him a chance. Scott must have thought we needed his type of sturdy experience though. He's still a good spare, and most likely wants to play on. Maybe not with the new Mrs Hardwick though, maybe Norf?

A summary of the Adelaide 3rd quarter comeback from last week.

9.30 left - Rachele loses Bews to crumb off a pack and misses a very gettable snap.
7.40 left - Rachele bodies Bews who gets beaten by a scrambled ground ball. Rachele gets back to lay a big tackle on Blicavs and Blicavs' man kicks a goal from the spill with Bews not a factor.
6.15 left - Adelaide break out the back and Bews is beaten back to goal by Rachele who kicks the goal.
3.15 left - Bews gets inexplicably lost on Rachele who gets out the back for an easy goal.
2.40 left - Bews again let's Rachele out the back 1 on 1 and is lucky Rachele doesn't commit to going back with the flight and drops a simple mark.

And people around here want him selected to shut down opposition small forwards? Just imagine the reaction if Mullin was torched like that.
If you had time to combine that feel free to do a 2E one when he’s played the defensive role
If what you have said is Correct its bad, but 2E is an even worse defender

If you had time to combine that feel free to do a 2E one when he’s played the defensive role
If what you have said is Correct its bad, but 2E is an even worse defender

It's almost like we relied on team defence all year and it has worked pretty well. And Tuohy is very good at that.

There is no point in playing a lockdown defender if they give you nothing in attack and get smashed by their opponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless Guthrie makes a miracle comeback I don't see how he's left out. And even then I'd expect us to leave out one of O Henry or Rohan before Tuohy.

A bit depends on what we do with hawkins (do they have the guts to not pick him if fit) and i agree its probably too late for cuthrie.
The way i see the current 23 is the most vulnerable players are rohan, tuohy, stanley and neale (humphries is a lock now and it would ne nuts if mannagh is left out-i think everyone else is safe).
Sdk will take one of the spots, hawkins is a maybe, if either clark or knevitt were to push back in it would be one of the above guys out (although i acknowledge we probably cant play hawk and neale its one or the other).

Won’t happen
With Tracey out that cancels out DeKoning

Freos forward will be
Darcy/Jackson “limited forward minutes for them” “Kolo”
Amiss “Zuthrie”
Johnson “Henry”
Voss “who ever else, he’s shit”

Kolo will get amiss and henry will get jackson.
Zuthrie probably gets voss who has been decent when he plays.

The stats say it's been Tuohy's career best year for conceding contested defensive losses. I see all this Tuohy bashing on this board with no real substance. All I take out of it is "He's the only 34-year-old on the list I'm comfortable bagging." He's had a good year. Much better than Duncan's year, although I know people will say "look at Duncan's possession count", spare me.

View attachment 2072376

This was my post from a week or two back, before Tuohy's absolute turnover-frst shocker on the weekend:

Duncan is having a better season than Tuohy. He's received coaches votes 4 times compared to once for Tuohy, and much more frequently made our board's MVP votes.

Duncan is going at 21.2 disposals per game; 16.1 for Tuohy. 20+ disposal a game winners for Geelong are like gold dust. Despite the huge disposal differential, Duncan has only 0.5 more turnovers per game (3.6 compared to Tuohy's 3.1)

Duncan has an extra 3 effective kicks per game and a higher overall disposal efficiency.

Duncan has more rebound 50s, yet still has an extra score involvement per game.

Tuohy has scored more goals but Duncan has 3x as many goal assists.

They intercept about the same amount but Tuohy has the slight edge there: 4.2 to Duncan's 3.9. But this is supposedly Duncan's weak point, it's surprising that he is getting the ball back off the opposition about as often as Tuohy.

Duncan remains a smooth operator unless the team are getting absolutely swarmed; he doesn't have the reflexes to cope with that consistently any more. Tuohy is scatter gun in general and does not get involved enough or damage enough with disposal any more to account for his deficiencies, which pop up no matter the pressure scale of the opposition.

Last edited:
It's almost like we relied on team defence all year and it has worked pretty well. And Tuohy is very good at that.

There is no point in playing a lockdown defender if they give you nothing in attack and get smashed by their opponent.
The same can be said with my arguement with 2E as you have with Bews

Where was the said team defense when Rachelle was running riot?
I get you have your got your issues with Bews
But our issues with our backline as not on one player.

Says a lot but Bews had a better game than Kolo last week

I'm with you, we may think he's shot, but they don't. It's that simple. Must meet some given targets invisible to the mere mortal spectator. Kicking is superlative, still a long inboard kick, sometimes wasted or let down by the mids and ruck.
Far less OBF's than Bews. You have to admit he's lost a yard, even if occasionally attacks with red line fever, and knows that backline system inside out. The game is just scrums and fast hands now, I admit to doing my block and calling him too slow.

As for Jed, I have a sneaky suspicion they put him in as reward, and to raise his value, give him a chance. Scott must have thought we needed his type of sturdy experience though. He's still a good spare, and most likely wants to play on. Maybe not with the new Mrs Hardwick though, maybe Norf?
Tuohy still has a crack. But I've lost count of how many times he loses his feet and is stuck scrambling for the ball like a drunken man who's dropped his keys in the dark. And he gets lost in awkward positions - sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Admittedly this happens to Duncan too but less frequently and he has much more attacking involvement with genuinely clean sing shot moves. In other words he is a driving force for our counter attack scoring chains or finding a safe exit where the team can recompose themselves. Tuohy is more a "get it and hack it" player compared to the skilful technician he was. And he used to be a lot better at the defensive stuff. Duncan is intercepting about as frequently as Tuohy too so you can't even accuse the former of not winning his own ball. He is also fitter and more capable of linking up with the others, hence why he gets a LOT more of the ball.

Absolutely laughable opinion to state Tuohy has had a better season than Duncan and frankly shows you have NFI about football.

This was my post from a week or two back, before Tuohy's absolute turnover-frst shocker on the weekend:

Duncan is having a better season than Tuohy. He's received coaches votes 4 times compared to once for Tuohy, and much more frequently made our board's MVP votes.

Duncan is going at 21.2 disposals per game; 16.1 for Tuohy. 20+ disposal a game winners for Geelong are like gold dust. Despite the huge disposal differential, Duncan has only 0.5 more turnovers per game (3.6 compared to Tuohy's 3.1)

Duncan has an extra 3 effective kicks per game and a higher overall disposal efficiency.

Duncan has more rebound 50s, yet still has an extra score involvement per game.

Tuohy has scored more goals but Duncan has 3x as many goal assists.

They intercept about the same amount but Tuohy has the slight edge there: 4.2 to Duncan's 3.9. But this is supposedly Duncan's weak point, it's surprising that he is getting the ball back off the opposition about as often as Tuohy.

Duncan remains a smooth operator unless the team are getting absolutely swarmed; he doesn't have the reflexes to cope with that consistently any more. Tuohy is scatter gun in general and does not get involved enough or damage enough with disposal any more to account for his deficiencies, which pop up no matter the pressure scale of the opposition.

Easy.

We're all on the same side when the sun sets, yeah?

I'm not sold on Duncan, as you know, but I agree he's had a better year than 2e. That's my perspective, and clearly yours too.

BORIS332 sees it differently. That's ok - we're all at different shades of the spectrum on the GFC scale.

Won’t happen
With Tracey out that cancels out DeKoning

Freos forward will be
Darcy/Jackson “limited forward minutes for them” “Kolo”
Amiss “Zuthrie”
Johnson “Henry”
Voss “who ever else, he’s shit”
I actually don't mind Voss... poor bugger just be back up at Fremantle with there forward line.. not saying his got potential in being a star,but something about him

Easy.

We're all on the same side when the sun sets, yeah?

I'm not sold on Duncan, as you know, but I agree he's had a better year than 2e. That's my perspective, and clearly yours too.

BORIS332 sees it differently. That's ok - we're all at different shades of the spectrum on the GFC scale.
He won't reply anyway so it doesn't matter. Attempts to put Tuohy over Duncan are just silly but I'd love to actually hear a post of substance declaring why that would be the case.

Tuohy still has a crack. But I've lost count of how many times he loses his feet and is stuck scrambling for the ball like a drunken man who's dropped his keys in the dark. And he gets lost in awkward positions - sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Admittedly this happens to Duncan too but less frequently and he has much more attacking involvement with genuinely clean sing shot moves. In other words he is a driving force for our counter attack scoring chains or finding a safe exit where the team can recompose themselves. Tuohy is more a "get it and hack it" player compared to the skilful technician he was. And he used to be a lot better at the defensive stuff. Duncan is intercepting about as frequently as Tuohy too so you can't even accuse the former of not winning his own ball. He is also fitter and more capable of linking up with the others, hence why he gets a LOT more of the ball.

Good points, but I can't help fence sitting with Tuohy. Partly it's feint hope that he'll serve out his great time with us in good useful form, and partly because they keep playing him, albeit managed. They must like what the old soldier brings. I believe the game has changed so much, fast reflexes are paramount around the ball.......but he has to get there first.

There's only one thing for it, I'll be hitting the replay FF and tracking Touhy on Saturday. It won't be about stats, more positioning, or lack of. If it's a hack kick, let's see who's onto it, and whilst we're usually grateful to clear D50, I suspect it won't be our mark on the wing.
I did the same for Duncan, and realised he's top ten named for reason.

Good points, but I can't help fence sitting with Tuohy. Partly it's feint hope that he'll serve out his great time with us in good useful form, and partly because they keep playing him, albeit managed. They must like what the old soldier brings. I believe the game has changed so much, fast reflexes are paramount around the ball.......but he has to get there first.

There's only one thing for it, I'll be hitting the replay FF and tracking Touhy on Saturday. It won't be about stats, more positioning, or lack of. If it's a hack kick, let's see who's onto it, and whilst we're usually grateful to clear D50, I suspect it won't be our mark on the wing.
I did the same for Duncan, and realised he's top ten named for reason.
Despite what I said about Tuohy I can very obviously see that he has had good patches. I'm not even 100% on him needing to be out of the team, despite reservations for 2 years that he and Duncan shouldn't share the same defence. You can cover one (as long as they have the necessary strengths to account for deficiencies) but to cover two is tricky.

But when people come in and go "people don't realise Tuohy's actually been better than Duncan I'm not sure why you guys aren't bashing the latter" (P.S Duncan has been bashed a fair bit the last 2 years - he simply gets defended by others whereas it's getting hard to do that for Tuohy) I don't mind articulating why I strongly disagree with that.

He won't reply anyway so it doesn't matter. Attempts to put Tuohy over Duncan are just silly but I'd love to actually hear a post of substance declaring why that would be the case.

We all have different realities.

I'm not saying what's right or wrong: just that our individual perceptions are our realities.

Weird in a way, but in each person's cycle, their reality is unmovable.

I haven't been a fan of Duncan's this year, but I agree with your perception that he's been better than 2e.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back