Preview Rd 22 Cats V Freo Sat Aug 10 2024 435pm @ Optus

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A triple premiership player, Coleman medallist, All Australian captain and has almost 800 goals… I’m not sure that’s argumentative..

He’s an AFL great.
Including 5 x All Australian, and the third most goal assists of anyone ever - which is a stat that doesn't get enough mention, and which just adds to his AFL great status.

Old mate Robbo said on 360 that Hawkins is a Geelong great, but not an AFL great like Dusty is.

Hawkins’ CV would suggest otherwise.
Couldn’t believe Robbo said that. What an absolute disgrace he is as a Journo.

Tom is objectively an all time AFL great and saying that, doesn’t diminish Dusty’s position in the game.

Also, not many forwards win Norm Smith medals anymore, he was arguably the match winner in both 2011 & 22 and played an important part in 09. Jimmy was a worthy winner, but for me I always felt that Tommy deserved the 2011 Norm Smith.

19 Disposals, 9 marks (7 contested!)
3.3 and 1 Goal assist.

I think Stanley gets another year who else is there

Touhy goes, hasn't got another year in him

Parfitt goes, players going past him like a beaten favorite

Duncan gets another year if he wants it

Rohan same as Duncan

Bews will look elsewhere for more game time

Hawkins we know about

Cam Guthrie although contracted for 2025 may consider his future if the body is failing him.
Good take on it.. Although I think Stanley wont go on..

To go with that older lot, you have young players such as -

Pheonix Foster - Has shown VERY little at VFL level. Averages just 5.7 possessions per game
James Willis - Has a bit of spark, can take a nice mark and goal, but barely finds the footy. The small forward position is well and truly filled at AFL level.
Oscar Murdoch - Haven't seen much of him, but winning just 10.9 possessions per game
Joe Furphy - Mature Cat B ruckman, only first season but hasn't shown much..

Looks like we will have plenty of options when we have to cull our list... Bailey Smith IN would be a nice addition

Couldn’t believe Robbo said that. What an absolute disgrace he is as a Journo.

Tom is objectively an all time AFL great and saying that, doesn’t diminish Dusty’s position in the game.

Also, not many forwards win Norm Smith medals anymore, he was arguably the match winner in both 2011 & 22 and played an important part in 09. Jimmy was a worthy winner, but for me I always felt that Tommy deserved the 2011 Norm Smith.

19 Disposals, 9 marks (7 contested!)
3.3 and 1 Goal assist.
A stat that is not highlighted enough is goal assist
Hawk is 3rd

Pheonix Foster - Has shown VERY little at VFL level. Averages just 5.7 possessions per game
James Willis - Has a bit of spark, can take a nice mark and goal, but barely finds the footy. The small forward position is well and truly filled at AFL level.
Oscar Murdoch - Haven't seen much of him, but winning just 10.9 possessions per game

Looks like we will have plenty of options when we have to cull our list... Bailey Smith IN would be a nice addition
There's something about Willis though. The way he almost gets angry and unleashes a beast, but then like the hulk his anger wears off.

I dont think he will be going on at geelong next year unless hes happy to effectively be a vfl coach on the afl list.
I assume hes going to try and get another club to offer him 1 year somewhere else as an FA then.

Selfishly id like to see him get a proper send off before finals rather than waiting for a delisting announcement in october.
Next year doesn't really concern me atm. Very poor to have treated a 10 year clubman the way they have.

There's something about Willis though. The way he almost gets angry and unleashes a beast, but then like the hulk his anger wears off.
I do see a little bit of Chappy about him... Ok, here's the deal then.. Willis shaves his head, then he can stay...

We really have had a lack of bald players on the list lately..

During our prime period 07-11 we had -

Chappy
Ablett
D Johnson
J Hunt
Harley
Pods

I think now that Hawkins is going we might offer Rohan 1 more year. We're very thin for marking forward depth.

Maybe that saves Foster as well who is absolutely anonymous most of the time then pops up to do a couple of really nice things a game.

I'd be very disappointed if Willis doesn't get another year. There's talent there and he's finally got his body right.

At the moment Hawkins, Stanley, Tuohy, Bews, Parfitt, Hardie and Murdoch look certainties to be moved on. Foster at significant risk too with Rohan and Duncan up to them I'd say.

Not sure what they do with Furphy or Jeka. Probably keep them with our lack of depth if they think they're any chance of stepping up to the level.

Foster, Willis and Murdoch are done. But to say Furphy hasn't shown much in his first season is wild. He's definitely exceeded expectations.

I do see a little bit of Chappy about him... Ok, here's the deal then.. Willis shaves his head, then he can stay...

We really have had a lack of bald players on the list lately..

During our prime period 07-11 we had -

Chappy
Ablett
D Johnson
J Hunt
Harley
Pods

Chappy was a very smart footballer, Willis is a dumb footballer.

Foster, Willis and Murdoch are done. But to say Furphy hasn't shown much in his first season is wild. He's definitely exceeded expectations.
Hmmm, Furphy exceeding expectations? Really? The bar must have been set extremely low...

VFL stats for the year

Played 6 games
Disp - 7.3 ave
Kicks - 3.5
HB - 3.8
Marks 1.3 - 0 CM
HO - 21.2

Those are very poor numbers.. Even Mark Blake smashed those numbers..

Hmmm, Furphy exceeding expectations? Really? The bar must have been set extremely low...

VFL stats for the year

Played 6 games
Disp - 7.3 ave
Kicks - 3.5
HB - 3.8
Marks 1.3 - 0 CM
HO - 21.2

Those are very poor numbers.. Even Mark Blake smashed those numbers..
Obviously my opinion only but I've thought he's looked good and pretty promising for a Cat B rookie from a basketball background who is just learning the game. Blakey at least had the advantage of coming through the ranks of junior footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously my opinion only but I've thought he's looked good and pretty promising for a Cat B rookie from a basketball background who is just learning the game. Blakey at least had the advantage of coming through the ranks of junior footy.
Furphy was a highly touted junior footballer, played 1 game for the Northern Knights U18, before ultimately turning to Basketball..

So he's not like a Mark Blicavs, who gave up footy after U12's..

He is a CAT B rookie, so I would assume we would most likely keep him on the list a big longer.

I really want to see a full year out of Conway. He is super exciting prospect... A big man who also just knows how to find the footy around the ground..
Still needs to bulk up (and stay injury free), but at 206cm, he's a genuine TALL ruckman.
If he can fill out to about 110kgs, he will be very hard to move..

The limited time i saw Edwards play in the VFL was promising also... Hopefully not another injury plagued tall...

I think now that Hawkins is going we might offer Rohan 1 more year. We're very thin for marking forward depth.

Maybe that saves Foster as well who is absolutely anonymous most of the time then pops up to do a couple of really nice things a game.

I'd be very disappointed if Willis doesn't get another year. There's talent there and he's finally got his body right.

At the moment Hawkins, Stanley, Tuohy, Bews, Parfitt, Hardie and Murdoch look certainties to be moved on. Foster at significant risk too with Rohan and Duncan up to them I'd say.

Not sure what they do with Furphy or Jeka. Probably keep them with our lack of depth if they think they're any chance of stepping up to the level.
I don't know that it saves Foster to be honest

He shows , at times , AFL quality pace disposal and game sense.
Needs to show it for longer and more consistently - I think he is one that will play better in an AFL quality game but his role is well catered for in the 1's at this stage.

He shows , at times , AFL quality pace disposal and game sense.
Needs to show it for longer and more consistently - I think he is one that will play better in an AFL quality game but his role is well catered for in the 1's at this stage.
Yeah, I keep looking at him thinking he's going to be a mid eventually and they're being conservative with him, bit then he'll roll into the middle and produce not much.

I think he's worth another year on the list.

Furphy was a highly touted junior footballer, played 1 game for the Northern Knights U18, before ultimately turning to Basketball..

So he's not like a Mark Blicavs, who gave up footy after U12's..

He is a CAT B rookie, so I would assume we would most likely keep him on the list a big longer.

I really want to see a full year out of Conway. He is super exciting prospect... A big man who also just knows how to find the footy around the ground..
Still needs to bulk up (and stay injury free), but at 206cm, he's a genuine TALL ruckman.
If he can fill out to about 110kgs, he will be very hard to move..

The limited time i saw Edwards play in the VFL was promising also... Hopefully not another injury plagued tall...
Oh true? Fair enough didn't know that. I think the thing I've liked most watching him in a few games is that he's got the big frame and seems to have a little mongrel in him and a desire to compete and physically impact on the opposition . That's not to say he'll make it but it's a hopeful start at least imo

Foster is a great kick and mark but like Titanic with no tank. Can play but sporadic. Only 19 as well. Id let him soak a bit longer

Willis is the ultimate VFl player. Flashes and teases but cant get a run at it.

Murdioch is like Capiron but 7 years younger. Plays 3rd man well but 1 on 1 is suspect.

Furphy has flashed well once he got out there but is road kill raw. Needs 2 more years as CAt b and reassess.

Thats my opinion anyway.

GO Catters

Will be interesting what we do if SDK does miss ... Do we call up COS or Jeka or do we roll Stanley back after centre bounces or push Blics into defense.
We could just roll with Henry and Kolo and hope we hold up i suppose.

Changes

In Roahn Duncan
Out SDK managed Tuohy Dropped

Rohan or OH sub

Will be interesting what we do if SDK does miss ... Do we call up COS or Jeka or do we roll Stanley back after centre bounces or push Blics into defense.
We could just roll with Henry and Kolo and hope we hold up i suppose.

Changes

In Roahn Duncan
Out SDK managed Tuohy Dropped

Rohan or OH sub
Hopefully Treacy is out, that would a leveller for SDK if he doesn't come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back