Game Day Rd 4 Geelong V Brisbane Fri April 8 750pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some perhaps unexpected by some but telegraphed earlier on changes will dominate the discussion post match on this one I feel

A hiding to nothing - Rest the Skipper and its not presenting the best team and disrespects the opponent... put him out there and run the risk of Rd 16 burnn out.

Regardless, the Lions wont be letting us back into it after being up by 37 points. Better idea is to not get there in the first place.

Can our MF give the Tom and Jerry show enough quality ball and not let their MF run all over us?

Big ask - but its certainly doable.

The ground and breeze will be different too so that will work in out favour a little.

Hope no injuries, a good game and no Blitz esq missed calls at the end. They will remember that last time... and be cranky about it.

GO Catters

Fagans comments point to them really wanting to knock us off. They don’t like us. We better be switched on from the first bounce cause they are coming for us.
No team likes us as we have been up for so long and belted most of them time and time again that they really just want us to **** off forever.

Agree that we need to be on though.

Some perhaps unexpected by some but telegraphed earlier on changes will dominate the discussion post match on this one I feel

A hiding to nothing - Rest the Skipper and its not presenting the best team and disrespects the opponent... put him out there and run the risk of Rd 16 burnn out.

Regardless, the Lions wont be letting us back into it after being up by 37 points. Better idea is to not get there in the first place.

Can our MF give the Tom and Jerry show enough quality ball and not let their MF run all over us?

Big ask - but its certainly doable.

The ground and breeze will be different too so that will work in out favour a little.

Hope no injuries, a good game and no Blitz esq missed calls at the end. They will remember that last time... and be cranky about it.

GO Catters
Hope for no brisbane throws that dont get called at the end and nearly cost us the game like last time.

rd 4, let's see what he does if he plays 4 quarters without a punch in the guts or a kick on the leg

I wanted to address this comment from last night - using those excuses for his under par matches against Essendon & Collingwood reeks of desperation, and ignoring that he was poor prior to those incidents & then when returning to the field

Against Collingwood:
  • he went off injured at the 32 mark of the third term, in the passage of play leading to Cameron's late goal. Looked like a rolled ankle when landed after the ruck contest, so not sure when he got a kick to the leg
  • he hadn't touched the ball since the second quarter (all disposals in first half again)
  • a solitary tackle was his third qtr contribution
  • he was already having no impact before the injury, and while we all hate seeing injuries, we looked a better team once he went off

Against Essendon
  • he received that gut punch about 5 minutes into the third term and was back on around 10 minutes later
  • while it looked uncomfortable at the time, it clearly didn't hamper his ability to return to the field & play out the match. We were leading by 77 points at 3/4 time, so there wasn't a need to return him to the field if he wasn't ok
  • he also went back into the ruck in the last quarter, another indication that while initially uncomfortable & winded, he was ok to return to the field & partake in play
  • he had minimal impact after quarter time, though it was a match situation set up for him to play a bigger role with Cameron being subbed off at quarter time, but he had no impact up forward

I don't know anyone who doesn't want him to succeed, where we don't want to see things click and those almost moments turn into ticks with him clunking those mark attempts, kicking goals etc - but at the moment he just looks so far off that happening. Give him a run in the VFL to see if he can find form & confidence in his game

Two ways this could go:

- the euphoria and confidence from last week carries through and on home deck we are too strong

- the euphoria from last week cooked us and we roll over to a hungry visitor

Let's hope there's no non holding the man calls - like Jordan Clark - that almost cost us last time at this ground.

Will be tough for O’Connor coming in for his first game of the season. But I hope he can add some defensive pressure at contests. Doesn’t need to be on one player but to play on the oppositions offensive side of stoppages. We’ve been getting smashed there this year. I love the more attacking game plan but needs a couple of tweaks to not risk being blown away in games.
Not about them as players but Higgins and Selwood were both starting out of contests are running in to add two more attacking players to our midfield group. Hopefully we can balance that out through the season.

Some of our younger players have played some really great moments so far. I hope we see a few more of them get games through the year.
This is going to be a really tough game, lions speed through the middle and forward will test us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give him a run in the VFL to see if he can find form & confidence in his game
Agree.
Some players have down periods and continuing to play them is often beneficial but Sav really needs to learn more of the basics.
Continuing to play him in the seniors, I think, is probably doing more harm to his development than good.
Just playing as a second rate back up ruck and a witch’s hat up forward is not helping his development.

Last edited:
No team likes us as we have been up for so long and belted most of them time and time again that they really just want us to fu** off forever.

Agree that we need to be on though.

Nah there is some genuine hatred for us after last years game. The brisbane players taking pot shots at chris scott and then scott having words with fagan later on, and then the missed call that makes them think they were robbed of the win. Plenty of antagonism in those games too. They don't like us.

Geelong won't win this. Normally play pretty poorly after a tight win.
Last year:

R2 WIN by 1
R3 WIN by 3
R4 LOSS by 25

R11 WIN by 10
BYE
R13 WIN by 21

R14 WIN by 5
R15 LOSS by 45

R22 WIN by 14
R23 LOSS by 4

Looks like you’re right!

Reckon it's a pretty one sided rivalry if they're really trying to make it that. They can't stand us and we don't really think about them.

Much more worried about beating the Hawks or even Tigers.

Or the pies, or freo, or WCE, or really anyone else.
I like beating them purely because they've been a finals team for the last few years (and failed even worse than the Cats in said finals).

Regardless, Cats by 9 points in a tight contest.

This “rallying cry” and “gloves are off” nonsense from Fagan is surprising. Coaches resorting to that sort of stuff in the media is usually a sign of weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back