Preview Rd 7 Geelong V Carlton Sat April 27 435 pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is where I wanted to say - “I did”…but I couldnt.

On ladder predictor (where to be fair I was pretty bullish and had Cats get 6th) I had us 4 and 2 at this stage. That does reflect a pretty good draw to start with - I had us 7 and 6 at the bye. I now reckon we should be aiming for 11-2 (maybe 10-3) so we are at “half way” going to be (I hope) 3-4 wins ahead of where I thought we would be - enough to move from a respectable year to top 4 and contending…
Pretty good draw where we were betting favourites in 2 of 6 games

Funny how people can’t see that.
But it was 3
We were favorites against Saints, North and Hawks
But Adelaide, WB and against the Lions we started game as underdogs.
Genuinely surprised we’re favorites this week with all the table lifting on the blues

Anyone think we might go with Stanley rucking then dropping back into defence, Blicavs to run with Cripps and make him accountable on the turnover, Cameron to push up the ground and go with Neale to stretch their defence and chop out in ruck..? Dry day, big ground, seems the right time to go tall forward and mix it up.
Scott keeps promising the Hawkins-Cameron-Neale combo at some point.

But is that just to keep his counterpart coaches on their toes?

I can't say the idea appeals to me that much. Hawkins is not 100% at the moment and you've got O Henry playing like a key position, so the balance of the forwardline just seems to me you either play Hawkins or Neale, but not both.

I thought the beauty of Stengle's game last week was that he did it without really feeding off the crumbs of our key forwards too much.

People will say it wasn't a night for key forwards but I actually disagree. They usually become pivotal structurally in the wet even if it's harder for them to be on the end of the scoring chain.

So for me, I don't think the answer is to go taller in dry conditions. Gotta just create the space in the f50 to make it even easier for guys like Tyson to hurt them where there might be a tiny bit of a weakness for them.

Should be a fascinating encounter.

Carlton are without Saad, McGovern and Weitering was limping in the second half with a heavily bandaged quad.
Not to mention Williams subbed off at half time with an Achilles knock.

It’s a no brainer that Weitering goes to Hawkins and Cameron will have Young.

Last year that match up nearly won us the game, Cameron had 25 and kicked 6.1

Carlton manipulated Sav one out of Curnow and he showed his class.

It’s going to be a cracker
Cerra out too.

For all the talk of Stewart being out, their outs are far more significant. We have greater availability than them.

We also have Chris Scott and they don't.

Cats by 21

Fair enough.

To me the Lions were far cleaner with the ball and seemed to move it easier. They would've had us in a bit of trouble if they'd kicked straight.....

But bad kicking is bad footy as they say and they left the gate open. To the boys credit they kept at it, wore the Lions down, and bolted through the gate.

The ease with which the Lions suddenly broke is a concern for Fagan, whilst the determination of our group is very encouraging indeed.
Right up to around 5 or so minutes to 3/4 time I was thinking the Bearlions would be the team to break the game open watching it from my high vantage point,yes the Lions did fold to easley no fight at all once the Cats put a couple of goals on them in the last quarter.
Tuffer opposition this week but this is looking like a take no prisoners Cats outfit going to be a great game Geelong by 5 points.

That reflects more on stupid non-Cat people! 😳. Maybe my 4-2 prediction was somewhat bias but 2-4 seemed pretty disrepectful…and certainly hasn’t aged well from the experts!

Certainly we should have been favourite against North and Hawks (that is 2) and then I would have throught St Kilda at home and Bulldogs are our bunny team if any expert took time to do some research!

I assume at the beginning of the year we would not be favourites in any of the upcoming games

Scott keeps promising the Hawkins-Cameron-Neale combo at some point.

But is that just to keep his counterpart coaches on their toes?

I can't say the idea appeals to me that much. Hawkins is not 100% at the moment and you've got O Henry playing like a key position, so the balance of the forwardline just seems to me you either play Hawkins or Neale, but not both.

I thought the beauty of Stengle's game last week was that he did it without really feeding off the crumbs of our key forwards too much.

People will say it wasn't a night for key forwards but I actually disagree. They usually become pivotal structurally in the wet even if it's harder for them to be on the end of the scoring chain.

So for me, I don't think the answer is to go taller in dry conditions. Gotta just create the space in the f50 to make it even easier for guys like Tyson to hurt them where there might be a tiny bit of a weakness for them.

Should be a fascinating encounter.
I think Scott has gone past knowing when he is playing mind games. It now becomes so natural that he must be confused himself by what he is saying! I honestly was suckered into the late change last week (and who knows maybe without rain it would have happened - see he still has me believing his mind game even when it didn’t happen! He is good)

Right up to around 5 or so minutes to 3/4 time I was thinking the Bearlions would be the team to break the game open watching it from my high vantage point,yes the Lions did fold to easley no fight at all once the Cats put a couple of goals on them in the last quarter.
Tuffer opposition this week but this is looking like a take no prisoners Cats outfit going to be a great game Geelong by 5 points.

We share the same perspective on the Lions game, and yes, it's going to be a cracker against the Blues.

That said, we win it'll be because the Blues were weakened by their outs, and if we lose it'll be because we're pretenders.

We share the same perspective on the Lions game, and yes, it's going to be a cracker against the Blues.

That said, we win it'll be because the Blues were weakened by their outs, and if we lose it'll be because we're pretenders.
The bolded statement may hold water,but pretenders we are not.Remember a lot of the scribs don't do much homework these days or attend many matches they are mostly cut and paste merchants.

Stanley for Stewart
Rohan for Clark
Run three rucks Stanley Conway Blitz,that way Stanley can drop back to help out the defenders Conway can sneak forward around the 50 and Blits can play his true utility role.Bin this if it's another wet track.
Too tall for me, wet or dry. Stanley would spend the whole game back getting slammed because Carlton would compound it's ground level advantage.

Funny how people can’t see that.
But it was 3
We were favorites against Saints, North and Hawks
But Adelaide, WB and against the Lions we started game as underdogs.
Genuinely surprised we’re favorites this week with all the table lifting on the blues
Ah forgot we were favourites against Saints, I expected us to get done in that one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The media are all over the Blues again. They're a very good team who will be thereabouts, but lets not forget they did lose to Adelaide at Marvel two weeks ago. Far from the finished product and we are rightful favourites going into this one.

Should be a beauty.

Rightful favourite's? How are we short odds here?

I love what we've been doing but Carlton have been good.

The changes vs Carlton for me are…

OUT Stewart IN Knevitt
This change allows us to utilise Mitch in defence, mid or the wing.
Has played really well in the VFL this season and deserves a call up.

OUT Clark IN Hardie
I feel we Need to bring in a big body vs Carltons bigger mids.
This blokes has done more than enough for a call up.
Clark needs to get some touches via the magoos IMO.

Adding those two allows our midfield rotations more scope.

WILDCARD/S.
Is it Stanley for Conway or the status quo remains?
Or Do we bring in Neale to counter the TDK/Pitt combo by dropping a small?
Does someone need a rest?
Duncan? Hawk? JC I hear was crook?
Does 2E get an automatic recall vs his old team?
Does Jeka come in to counter the extra tall in TDK playing forward more so this season?
Plenty scenarios could play out here.

Gonna be a cracker.
Blues are flying but with a few missing it might all be about timing.
No McGovern Saad Cerra …. Williams? Weitering?
We play them at the right time albeit Stewart is missing.

Cats by 8

The changes vs Carlton for me are…

OUT Stewart IN Knevitt
This change allows us to utilise Mitch in defence, mid or the wing.
Has played really well in the VFL this season and deserves a call up.

OUT Clark IN Hardie
I feel we Need to bring in a big body vs Carltons bigger mids.
This blokes has done more than enough for a call up.
Clark needs to get some touches via the magoos IMO.

Adding those two allows our midfield rotations more scope.

WILDCARD/S.
Is it Stanley for Conway or the status quo remains?
Or Do we bring in Neale to counter the TDK/Pitt combo by dropping a small?
Does someone need a rest?
Duncan? Hawk? JC I hear was crook?
Does 2E get an automatic recall vs his old team?
Does Jeka come in to counter the extra tall in TDK playing forward more so this season?
Plenty scenarios could play out here.

Gonna be a cracker.
Blues are flying but with a few missing it might all be about timing.
No McGovern Saad Cerra …. Williams? Weitering?
We play them at the right time albeit Stewart is missing.

Cats by 8
Good call re: Jeka. Great form in the VFL and with Stewart out, he's a logical choice IMO

Too tall for me, wet or dry. Stanley would spend the whole game back getting slammed because Carlton would compound it's ground level advantage.
It's not something I'd normally endorse but taking a lesson from the Blues Giants game with Pittonet back in the ruck freeing Tom De Koning to go forward we need to be able to counter a formattable trio in McKey 204/99 Tom De Koning 203/97 and of cause Curnow, without Stewart we look completely out gunned this week in the air down back.

It's not something I'd normally endorse but taking a lesson from the Blues Giants game with Pittonet back in the ruck freeing Tom De Koning to go forward we need to be able to counter a formattable trio in McKey 204/99 Tom De Koning 203/97 and of cause Curnow, without Stewart we look completely out gunned this week in the air down back.
Remember this happened last year and hurt us badly. Kolo was also missing. SDK wasn't quite right and it was Sav's 3rd AFL game as a defender. Zuthrie's form improved drastically as the year went on.

At least some of those other components we have rectified, and added Duncan to the half back line as a rebounder. But the Stewart absence will be keenly felt. They also have their defensive issues by a collection of absences that add up.

Shootout? It'll probably be 8 goals apiece now that I've said that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back