Preview Rd 7 Geelong V Carlton Sat April 27 435 pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're missing Cerra, Martin, McGovern and Saad.

We're missing Guthrie & Stewart.

If there is an imbalance in injuries it's not great.

Should be a great game. Walsh is fantastic and I think will be the difference for them if he has a good game.

Scott keeps promising the Hawkins-Cameron-Neale combo at some point.

But is that just to keep his counterpart coaches on their toes?

I can't say the idea appeals to me that much. Hawkins is not 100% at the moment and you've got O Henry playing like a key position, so the balance of the forwardline just seems to me you either play Hawkins or Neale, but not both.

I thought the beauty of Stengle's game last week was that he did it without really feeding off the crumbs of our key forwards too much.

People will say it wasn't a night for key forwards but I actually disagree. They usually become pivotal structurally in the wet even if it's harder for them to be on the end of the scoring chain.

So for me, I don't think the answer is to go taller in dry conditions. Gotta just create the space in the f50 to make it even easier for guys like Tyson to hurt them where there might be a tiny bit of a weakness for them.

Should be a fascinating encounter.
l think this will happen against the Dees
neale to help combat Max

So do you have a thought on handling the the Carlton trio of tall forwards?
Yes. SDK to whichever sits deepest (presumably Curnow), Kolo to McKay. If De Koning drops back, then Plan A is Jack Henry, with team defensive structure to cut across and not allow a one-v-one. If De Koning gets on the end of a couple, Blicavs or O'Sullivan are other options.

Playing too many tall forwards can also be a trap. The vast majority of entries inside 50 do not result in contested marks; they usually result in ground balls, and mobility is king on the way out.

Last week's game v Brisbane was a slog. The VFL game had basically no rain. I can see us bringing in fresh legs, any of Stanley Tuohy, Hardie, Knevitt, O'Sullivan, Bews, Rohan, Clohesy, Mannagh, even Humphries. We wouldn't be giving anything away bringing any of these guys in.

Feels like Stanely and Tuohy are definite ins. Conway and Stewart are definite outs. Not sure who else gets a spell, maybe Duncan though he already missed round 2. At the other end of the age spectrum, Clark could use a full game in the VFL.

Meat Tray
IN: Stanley, Tuohy, Knevitt.
OUT: Conway, Stewart, Clark.
SUB: Knevitt

I'm curious to see if our small forwards can get on top.

Stengle has become such a difference maker again. Henry does some things that irk me, but he's playing at another level. Miers excellent.

Our ball movement with them has looked so dangerous once out of the defensive 50. It's fantastic to watch and I always have this great anticipation when they get it in the middle of the ground.

Yes. SDK to whichever sits deepest (presumably Curnow), Kolo to McKay. If De Koning drops back, then Plan A is Jack Henry, with team defensive structure to cut across and not allow a one-v-one. If De Koning gets on the end of a couple, Blicavs or O'Sullivan are other options.

Playing too many tall forwards can also be a trap. The vast majority of entries inside 50 do not result in contested marks; they usually result in ground balls, and mobility is king on the way out.

Charlie Curnow - 194cm
Harry McKay - 200cm

Jake Kolodjashnij - 195cm
Sam DeKoning - 204cm

The match ups are obvious imo. Zach Guthrie to take Stewart's intercepting role.

I'd like to see him come in for Clark. Clark has had a good run and will be back in through injury, suspension, form soon enough.

Hardie deserves his crack in my opinion.
Just to expand on this. Scott said at the beginning of the year that Clark had a specific role within the team that he was most suited to. I believe that Parfitt has gone well past Clark in this role making him somewhat redundant for the time being.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Charlie Curnow - 194cm
Harry McKay - 200cm

Sam DeKoning - 204cm

The match ups are obvious imo. Zach Guthrie to take Stewart's intercepting role.
Agreed I have slightly differing heights off AFL tables but match ups remain the same,what are you doing with Tom De Koning who will start forward also 203cm do we play Sam on him and hope Harry McKay has a shit day with the boot AFL table has him at 204cm as well.

Last edited:
It's not something I'd normally endorse but taking a lesson from the Blues Giants game with Pittonet back in the ruck freeing Tom De Koning to go forward we need to be able to counter a formattable trio in McKey 204/99 Tom De Koning 203/97 and of cause Curnow, without Stewart we look completely out gunned this week in the air down back.
Yeah, but I think we already have Blitz for that. We'd trying to chase a marginal advantage by creating a ground level disadvantage

Just to expand on this. Scott said at the beginning of the year that Clark had a specific role within the team that he was most suited to. I believe that Parfitt has gone well past Clark in this role making him somewhat redundant for the time being.
Two or three weeks of being the Big Dog in the VFL side would do that young man no harm whatsoever

Fair point. But Neale plays primarily forward, so I don't know that it helps with nullifying Gawn too much.
Yes but we need another solid ruck to go up against him when Stanley has a break and l would prefer to let blitz play other roles

Last week's game v Brisbane was a slog. The VFL game had basically no rain. I can see us bringing in fresh legs, any of Stanley Tuohy, Hardie, Knevitt, O'Sullivan, Bews, Rohan, Clohesy, Mannagh, even Humphries. We wouldn't be giving anything away bringing any of these guys in.

Feels like Stanely and Tuohy are definite ins. Conway and Stewart are definite outs. Not sure who else gets a spell, maybe Duncan though he already missed round 2. At the other end of the age spectrum, Clark could use a full game in the VFL.

Meat Tray
IN: Stanley, Tuohy, Knevitt.
OUT: Conway, Stewart, Clark.
SUB: Knevitt
That is a pretty good meat tray and I would like the invited to the bbq

Didn't like our chances initially, but I think they have more outs than we do...

I'm kind of hoping we bring someone else in for Clark, he needs more time in the VFL. I wouldn't mind playing Hardie for this game.

And I'd like to see Mannagh as Sub, he will add some zip for later part of the game. It seems his recruitment is backup for Miers and Stengle atm...

Charlie Curnow - 194cm
Harry McKay - 200cm

Sam DeKoning - 204cm

The only real way to defend against 2x Coleman medallists forward is through the midfield.

Got a really good feeling about Hawk & Jez this week.

Hawkins will eat young alive, and Weitering will be cooked in a quarter playing on Jez as he runs up to the oppositions flank.

Even if they switch them, it still doesn't look great. We saw last year that Jezza turns into prime Gary Ablett Senior when playing on Young.

To be fair, there's not many who can stop Jezza...but Lewis Young would be about the 133rd picked to do it, so I like his chances.

Expecting Blitz to go to Cripps again, absolutely blanketed him in Brownlow year. 17 touches IIRC.

One of the few players in the league who can match him for size & strength but then burn him on the rebound. It's a huge asset for us.

On the injury front, would like to see COS or even Jeka to keep the structure sound and blood some more youth...but expecting Touhy.

My issue is I can see Zach getting caught out on the wide open 'G, but we'll wait and see I guess.

Should be a great game regardless. We've been built for the MCG ever since we rebuilt the forward line. They love the extra space, and I reckon Miers in particular will revel in it.

Cats by 3 goals, should be a beauty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back