Autopsy Rd 8 bad kicking is bad footy = Bloods

Remove this Banner Ad

24 free kicks to 10.

2.11 from set shots.

Just a bad day all round.

Some decent performers in general, but McLean and Gulden were great.

Some our transition play was fantastic, but our ability to finish was putrid. We are nearly there I think. Nearly.

We have won 3 of our last 9. 3 wins and 6 losses.

At what point is that our actual "form" versus "just a bad day"?

We seem to be having slow starts again in terms of our disposal. A lot of uncharacteristic turnovers we had in the first term. A few fumbles and inability to hit short targets. Seemed to hit our groove in the second.

Dropping Macca really worked, so well done for proactive arse kicking coaches. Big tick. Hope the same works with Stephens.

Gulden so much better playing distributor. Looked like a Sam Mitchell type you could like directing the play with his kicking etc. Keep him from the true guts for the majority of the time.

Francis obviously has some ability so I hope they play him in position and give him a run at it.

Ladhams I am sorry. Just too many poor efforts even accounting for the injury. Even after the last good game I am not convinced he is the one.

Harry was good today, played in his right position.

Heeney needs a spell. I mean what is the point of marking it if you are not going to kick it? It is systemic at this point. He gets it he shanks it. And that's when he gets it. He is out of form, give him a kick in the arse too and tell him to get it right in the magoos.

Not sure why we "need Reid". Get Logan to play the same roll. He is not impacting enough where he is. He should be the outlet. No idea why we need Reid to play sort of wing when we can Logan do it.

I thought McLean was as good rucking solo as anyone we have had since RJ got hurt. I would totally advocate for playing him one out in the position with a chip out from anyone so he can have a spell. A really whole hearted Swns-like player he is. Love his effort and drive.

Campbell is really starting to do some good things. You can see the talent.

Such a frustrating side, so unfit, so lacking that guy who wills us on. Jack, Goodes, Bolton, Mattner, Shaw, JPK, etc. All great names but some were just decent players that had an iron will to win. We lack that from anyone senior at the moment.

I dunno - pieces are there but no one is putting them together.

Just hope they really start punishing performances that are well below the players normal output. Need some accountability no matter the name keeping some semblance of team balance and experience in mind.

Terrific post and not coz I agree with most of it

Really like your comments on McLean who is not blessed with talent but is an old school get the most out of yourself for the team player.

Pretty disappointing. Lost the game and the moral points.
Try and rough up a 19yo kid and lose both the fight and the game.
There were no moral points won or lost, we played within the rules, and the spirit of the rules.

In a collision sport physically intimidating your opponents goes a long way toward winning. That's just how it is. Anyone the least bit worried about that push and shove prior to the game has no business being on an AFL field - and Daicos didn't give a s**t. In fact he looks the type that would lap it up.
That we can't, or won't get tougher goes a long way to explaining the mounting losses IMO. Yes we have plenty of tough players who will die to get the footy, Parker, Mills, Rowbottom, Tom McCartin, Gulden to name a few - but you also need players willing and able put the hurt into their opponents - legally in order to excel in footy. Always will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have won 3 of our last 9. 3 wins and 6 losses.

At what point is that our actual "form" versus "just a bad day"?
You're looking way too much into that line... Wasn't really trying to create any seperation, it was a bad day within our current run of bad form.

Not sure why you're including the Grand Final for our run of form, it was 8 months ago.

Looks like a lunchtime game at school. A bunch of young blokes loving it - don't mind it at all. Neither does Daicos.
If you can back it up in how you play then sure. If you're then going to lose in contested possessions for example, or have 16 less tackles inside 50 for example, and get killed in centre clearances... areas of the game where actual hardness and toughness counts for something... then it becomes a problem.

I also just think we just took it too far with the contact to Daicos' head, while the visual of 3 or 4 blokes laying into 1 bloke is the very opposite of physical intimidation; it conveys weakness.

Looks like a lunchtime game at school. A bunch of young blokes loving it - don't mind it at all. Neither does Daicos.

Warner should try and hit a target before he worried about getting into a player who is better than him

What’s the go with fitness

Obviously no way near fit enough

Off season did they seriously think we are better that we are
A fair contingent had a nice long holiday in Europe. Maybe they enjoyed themselves a little too much.

May not have the experience or maturity to understand things don't just happen in this league

One thing that impressed me about the pies was the way daicos and his teammates reacted.

Papley gave daicos a cheap shot in the back and nick didn't react. Didn't bat an eye lid and his teammates flew in for him.

That's the sign of a young bloke who knows how important he is to his team, knows the ramifications if he does something silly and knows his teammates have his back.

Not many guys have that maturity and professionalism at 30 let alone 20

One thing that impressed me about the pies was the way daicos and his teammates reacted.

Papley gave daicos a cheap shot in the back and nick didn't react. Didn't bat an eye lid and his teammates flew in for him.

That's the sign of a young bloke who knows how important he is to his team, knows the ramifications if he does something silly and knows his teammates have his back.

Not many guys have that maturity and professionalism at 30 let alone 20
He comes from a great family

Collingwood v Sydney​

9 Brody Mihocek (COLL)
9 Scott Pendlebury (COLL)
5 Errol Gulden (SYD)
3 Darcy Moore (COLL)
2 Isaac Quaynor (COLL)
2 Luke Parker (SYD)

LEADERBOARD​

45 Nick Daicos (COLL)
43 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)