Game Day Rd 9 - Brisbane v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I watched it, what I was referring to was his kicking. I thought he played well enough but his disposal let him down, especially when he wasn't kicking it sideways. He came to the club as a potential Drummond replacement (long accurate kicks). I have not recalled one yet.

He is a kid for gods sake,give him a break.

Staker is not a key defender and considering how Waite was running Patfull ragged, I can't imagine a guy just returning to afl footy would have been able to keep up fitness-wise.

Nup we wont.

Who by, we had no backline mate, Patfull did the best he could.
What was Vossy supposed to do, we had no one else.
If we had Merrett.Golby and Clarke we most likely would have won.
I am shitty with Merrett to be honest.

I understand that we were thin down there, I am also shitty with Merrett but we had all week to plan for Waite as their key forward. Joel went out and was all at sea as a one on one defender right from the very start. This guy is not a rookie but our current best and fairest. He should have know how to play that role and it was embarassing to watch. I just wanted him to play tight, if he gets beat then fair enough.

o_O Waite was kept pretty quiet from part way through the second quarter. I spent most of the game thinking "Plan B" had worked.

I think thats a little too rose coloured. Waite kept clunking 'em, joel was a bit lucky his finishing deserted him.

We played our best when the ball was prevented from entering the back 50 (ie. the 2nd quarter). We didn't have many options for replacement key backs though. Michael probably did a better job on the the resting ruck than McKeever probably would've. Patfull seemed to try to play his normal game, which didn't work in his different role, but his task was definitely a difficult one, and his tactics did work to our advantage at times. It doesn't help when Adcock and McGrath play below their best, and Golby is out leaving a backline with 3 players with less then 25 games between them.

It is a good turnaround from our last game at the Gabba against Carlton though, even if the result was still disappointing, just in a different way.

Staker is not a key defender and considering how Waite was running Patfull ragged, I can't imagine a guy just returning to afl footy would have been able to keep up fitness-wise.

It's easy to run a bloke ragged when he's running 15-20m off you at most times.

Do we have any rebounding defenders that can use the ball well at all? We need some right about now. With Golby/Hanley combo pushing further up the ground we need someone for deep defensive 50. Yeo cannot kick to save his life, Docherty isn't showing anything at all, and Adcock is just over enthusiastic most of the time and gets ahead of himself.
Come back in 24 months - and then assess please

Agree that Waite would have been too much for him on his own, Joel was dominant on Waite when he was able to put a body on him, but his natural game was as a third defender, part of the reason he was so buggered is that he was trying to do both.

Staker could have really locked onto Waite and worn him like a glove to allow Joel to come over the top. We were out matched unfortunately.

o_O Waite was kept pretty quiet from part way through the second quarter. I spent most of the game thinking "Plan B" had worked.

I didn't see it like that. We won the ball out of the middle, Maloney was red hot, we got the ball going forward which is always plan A. When this stopped and the Blues started to go forward it was still the same problems with our defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Game of what ifs.

What if Merrett had played? Would we have been able to quell Waite's influence?

What if Golby had played? Would we have been able to clear the ball from the backline easier?

What if Leuenberger had been able to play the last quarter? Would we have won a few of those crucial clearances near the end?

Yes, yes and yes.

Really good teams can cover the loss of key personnel, but we're not at that level yet.

On the plus side, Bewick is developing into a very effective footballer.

I guess the most frustrating thing is that yet again we had a chance to knock off a decent team at the Gabba, and again we couldn't close it out.

We played our best when the ball was prevented from entering the back 50 (ie. the 2nd quarter). We didn't have many options for replacement key backs though. Michael probably did a better job on the the resting ruck than McKeever probably would've. Patfull seemed to try to play his normal game, which didn't work in his different role, but his task was definitely a difficult one, and his tactics did work to our advantage at times. It doesn't help when Adcock and McGrath play below their best, and Golby is out leaving a backline with 3 players with less then 25 games between them.

It is a good turnaround from our last game at the Gabba against Carlton though, even if the result was still disappointing, just in a different way.

McGrath stank it up.

McGrath out for Clarke
Mayes out for Golby

G

Good on ya BD I expect your usual reaction that's my guilty pleasure !, all I say is keep it equal fair is fair

You are hoisting yourself upon our own petard. Two weeks ago you said that you hope that supporters give Lisle more slack than they give Ace, yet here you are going after Lisle.

If you are going to do the moral grandstanding thing, do it right.

You are total irrational when it comes to Cornelius. You've build up some fantasy world in your head where you think everyone is out to get him and that you are his sole protector. You really think people want Ace to fail? You think Brisbane Lions fans aren't desperate to have a key forward solution? You think Brisbane Lions fans held a meeting and said "hey let's just death ride alone of our own players for fun"?

Deadset... Get some perspective.

Do we have any rebounding defenders that can use the ball well at all? We need some right about now. With Golby/Hanley combo pushing further up the ground we need someone for deep defensive 50. Yeo cannot kick to save his life, Docherty isn't showing anything at all, and Adcock is just over enthusiastic most of the time and gets ahead of himself.

You really are ignorant.

We lost by 13pts with the umpires balls deep in us and 2 key defenders missing. Wtf is with all this negative shit?

Maybe the fact HAD Carlton actually had boot to ball, we would of lost by 60+?
How about the fact the only time we looked like a working football team was during the 2nd quarter?
How about our inability to mark up for 3 quarters of the match?
How about our silly errors from inside our own 50M defensive line?

He is also playing football professionally at the highest level and does not make him immune to criticism, besides Voss would be giving it to them right about now.

We lost by 13pts with the umpires balls deep in us and 2 key defenders missing. Wtf is with all this negative shit?
I have no idea but i am going to bed because I cannot believe the crap some people post.:eek:
You take over Haggis.

Not good enough in the end but we are definitely improved from last year. The games was there to be won and the more experienced heads got there in the end.

Joel was beaten but I thought our biggest blunder was not having Staker back full time to help.

Thought Michael had a solid debut, did his job on the resting ruck-man. Green looked good when he came on. Lisle not getting it done as either a ruck-man or forward, when Leuy went off we were still in it but we lost our ability to compete at the stoppages. Longer a must in inclusion for me.

The second quarter showed what we can be, but are list is just not well enough developed to compete with a top 8 side with that many outs.

We need a second ruck, Leuy went down at the end and we were never in it. He got all of our hit outs, not one from Lisle or Michael.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back