Unofficial Preview Changes V Saints RD 21

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smith gets another game.
He hasn't played at Marvel stadium yet.
His hands are very good for a big fella and Marvel could be the stage where he clunks and kicks a few.
This also gives flexibilty if Hipwood needs to go back.
I watched the game again last night with a focus on Prior. He competed with Moyle, Witts and King at times and did very well. He kept Lukosius quiet. His first kick was nervous but after that was excellent by foot.
This demands that he retains his spot.
McKenna doesn't tick any of these boxes.
I like Brain but back to the VFL to learn how to handball above the ankles.

Out Brain McKenna
In Harris Reville

Last edited:
Ryan Lester moves from 199 Games to 200 Games.

Smith gets another game.
He hasn't played at Marvel stadium yet.
His hands are very good for a big fella and Marvel could be the stage where he clunks and kicks a few.
This also gives flexibilty if Hipwood needs to go back.
I watched the game again last night with a focus on Prior. He competed with Moyle, Witts and King at times and did very well. He kept Lukosius quiet. His first kick was nervous but after that was excellent by foot.
This demands that he retains his spot.
McKenna doesn't tick any of these boxes.
I like Brain but back to the VFL to learn how to handball above the ankles.

Out Brain McKenna
In Harris Reville
Agree re Prior. Brain is handy in the air though, I’d keep him as another option for the saints hybrid talls as i’ll dub them.

I remember 2 really promising moments from Smith. One was a contested mark from chf in the last. The ball was kicked on his head and he withstood the full weight of his opponent and stuck it really cleanly. It was something neither Joe nor hippy can do, and showed what he can bring.

The other one was a centre bounce. He just leapt straight over the gc ruckman for the easiest of taps. He looked like bloody nicnat! That sort of leap at 206cm is an absolute weapon.

All that said i am not totally convinced we should play him this week as the saints ran us off our feet last time. He could be a good sub though. A) we would be going in pretty short so subbing off a small for smith would be okay B) he could be a good break glass to go forward if we need to send hippy back and C) he can be brought in as a fresh ruck if marshall is beating O

Agree re Prior. Brain is handy in the air though, I’d keep him as another option for the saints hybrid talls as i’ll dub them.

I remember 2 really promising moments from Smith. One was a contested mark from chf in the last. The ball was kicked on his head and he withstood the full weight of his opponent and stuck it really cleanly. It was something neither Joe nor hippy can do, and showed what he can bring.

The other one was a centre bounce. He just leapt straight over the gc ruckman for the easiest of taps. He looked like bloody nicnat! That sort of leap at 206cm is an absolute weapon.

All that said i am not totally convinced we should play him this week as the saints ran us off our feet last time. He could be a good sub though. A) we would be going in pretty short so subbing off a small for smith would be okay B) he could be a good break glass to go forward if we need to send hippy back and C) he can be brought in as a fresh ruck if marshall is beating O
Yep, I remember this moment too ! It's as if he's learning what he can do in 1s and sort of parking his nervousness on one side.

I remember a similar moment with Leuenberger, once he picked up a ground ball and decided to go for a run. It was no lumbering giant movement, he was goddamn fast ! ruckman with a burst speed of a midfielder !! Too bad he wasn't encouraged to do that more or he never used that as a weapon, like, ever.

Yep, I remember this moment too ! It's as if he's learning what he can do in 1s and sort of parking his nervousness on one side.

I remember a similar moment with Leuenberger, once he picked up a ground ball and decided to go for a run. It was no lumbering giant movement, he was goddamn fast ! ruckman with a burst speed of a midfielder !! Too bad he wasn't encouraged to do that more or he never used that as a weapon, like, ever.
I think with Leuey it sapped pretty quickly after his injuries built up, part of why we never really saw it at its fullest (compared to when Mitch had his season in the ruck for instance). :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back