Review Rd 9: Freo keep rolling against the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Treacy is going to make it. Absolutely no doubt about that. He's a proper footballer, he just needs that belief that he knows he belongs.
He got a bit of swagger going in a few instances :)

A mix of, Haha STFU to the opponents and a bit of buddy's "I'm the King!".

There's no margin for doubt in a great KPF, they've got to own that little bit of real estate in front of goal and crumple the defenders belief in their footy nouse, wish they'd joined a monastery/nunnery instead of persuing their AFL dreams.

Last edited:

There are some good signs for the future but need to remember that the first game was the Hawks and Sydney probably has the worst backline in the AFL at the moment (well bottom 3 for sure).

I think they will struggle to replicate that against quality KPDs just due to their age but its probably a glimpse of the future once they mature.

Multiple things true at once sorta thing. It's not so much that their individual efforts lifted, but that the team game started to click. Yep, quality opposition will try and shut that down as well as their individual efforts, but I think that now they've sorta found a way they can work together (e.g. Treacy wasn't leading his opponent into Luke or Jye's path) it's something to build on.

There are some good signs for the future but need to remember that the first game was the Hawks and Sydney probably has the worst backline in the AFL at the moment (well bottom 3 for sure).

I think they will struggle to replicate that against quality KPDs just due to their age but its probably a glimpse of the future once they mature.
Honestly with these two wins, confident shoots up and raring to back themselves v Geelong and not repeat the same crap v Bulldogs.
Blicavs will come in and play negative bs tactics at centre bounces

I actually saw the 20 minute replay of the dockers vs swans game on Foxtel around 12 30 am .

Saw some of the goals Freo kicked. Luke Jackson was marking well.

Schulz and Frederick were having good games

Look - it was very encouraging, but we’ve beaten two bottom 6 sides in succession. Remember Brisbane and Bullies. As has already been noted above, it’s never as good as it seems, or as bad.

We needed these wins to retain long term hope and faith but these two swallows don’t make a summer.
Come On Biden GIF by GIPHY News

I know it’s the hope that kills, but gotta take the joy when you can. 😬

there’s lots to work on, but also lots to be hopeful about, even if it was vs an undermanned Sydney team. The pressure was up and so was the desperation, which is a massive tick. We deserved to win that game by more.

is it just me, or has adding more umps made the officiating more atrocious?

Come On Biden GIF by GIPHY News

I know it’s the hope that kills, but gotta take the joy when you can. 😬

there’s lots to work on, but also lots to be hopeful about, even if it was vs an undermanned Sydney team. The pressure was up and so was the desperation, which is a massive tick. We deserved to win that game by more.

is it just me, or has adding more umps made the officiating more atrocious?
Just trying to stay objective.

But if we account for Geelong and hold Melb to within 3 goals then we’ve defs taken another step forward. 3 weeks ago that seemed like a pipe dream the way we were going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look - it was very encouraging, but we’ve beaten two bottom 6 sides in succession. Remember Brisbane and Bullies. As has already been noted above, it’s never as good as it seems, or as bad.

We needed these wins to retain long term hope and faith but these two swallows don’t make a summer.
You aren’t wrong, but consider that we played North and West Coast in two consecutive weeks and looked very poor against both. they are as rubbish as Hawthorn, and Sydney are a lot better (far more competent midfield).

I think we can say we’ve turned the corner. We may not win our next two but our season isn’t yet over.

Umpiring was incredibly bad. Was about 5 or 6 50s given away on a ground where a 50m is always going to be a shot at goal. The treacy one was hilarious. Blakey passed it straight to him but Treacy made no effort to reach for it.
I saw Treacy a bit different. Blakey was pissed off about the free and threw it carelessly. It went too high. Yes Treacy could have stretched and got hands to it but he's under no obligation to do so. 50m was line-ball but IMO the correct call. Walters was on the receiving end of another line-ball but IMO correct 50m call later in the game.

I have the same feeling about this game it seems others do in that it's hard to draw conclusions on our form from it. But like last week against Hawthorn, it's better to spend the week with a W against our name than a L.
Moose v Franklin. Has our beloved captain turned the corner or was he playing a fading giant of the game? Let's be positive and say the former.
Walker v Papley. I really rate Papley and Walker did a magnificent job on him. Papley can turn a game but the Phantom kept him in check.
What a difference a tall makes? Or two or three. This forward structure must be persisted with. It is the way.
We were very accurate in front of goals which leads to the two confusing parts of the game which is our lack of shots per i50 entry. Can we afford that against better teams? The second point being how did we only win by 17 points? We seemed much better than them for 3 quarters. Felt like a 40+ win .
Obviously a far better test coming for our boys, but the stat(s) that pleases me most is having more possessions and more tackles than the opposition, this shows we're working harder than they are around the ground.
Looking forwards to next week, hopefully all of the purple peeps turn up to support the lads. A win next week will be very significant.

I saw Treacy a bit different. Blakey was pissed off about the free and threw it carelessly. It went too high. Yes Treacy could have stretched and got hands to it but he's under no obligation to do so. 50m was line-ball but IMO the correct call. Walters was on the receiving end of another line-ball but IMO correct 50m call later in the game.
I think both were more about the delay to return the ball as well - on both occasions it was pretty obvious who's ball it was.

One of my biggest frustrations with umpires is when they treat players delaying a game or creeping up the mark like children and give them 2-3 warnings and never call it.

I wish the game was umpired like that more.

Good

Our pressure.
It's really come back in the last two weeks; I think it's probably what our game is built on. We stuck tackles everywhere with a few great run downs.
Shultz really gets going when our key forwards are working well. He has also become a quicker decision maker which I felt was a bit of a knock on him early days. Carlton will be throwing the kitchen sink to get him over.
Treacy. His pressure is elite for a big guy. It changes the dynamic of our forward line as it means the opposition can't exit D50 through his man. There's a tackle he lays around 11 minutes into the first quarter which I thought was huge - Go back and watch it if you have time - he covers about 20 metres in a split second to drill a Sydney player trying to run up the wing.
Jackson. I'll put my hand up and say I wasn't a fan of the Jackson trade but oh. my. god. I now believe in Unicorns. Every flag side has a point of difference and I think our rucks could be it.
Walker is becoming a great player. We played Papley quite well with Brayshaw taking him if he went in the middle and Walker blanketing him in their F50.

Bad

I cant stand Sydney Oval. One bad decision and it's basically a shot on goal. Luckily we got the rub of the green yesterday.
Banfield. He had a good game but is terrible overhead. It's a bit of bigfooty meme at this point but I really can't see what this guy offers over Sturt who is a bit more competent at marking. He has a great groundball game but we're already playing 4 smalls (Walters, Frederick, Shultz and Switta).
I like Jaeger but he wasn't the right player to bring in. We're now in an awkward position trying to find room for Ras and Johnson while also having Brodie floating around in no man's land.
Playing Heeney into form. Every time we play Sydney. Every ****ing time.
Opposition head start. Do we really have to do this every game?

Dockery

Was one of the least Dockery games I have every seen. Even Hughes nailed a set shot. The only thing that qualifies was really the 50 on Walters for taking a split second too long to get the ball back.

Good to get the win but that was about a 60% Swans side out there after Mills and McDonald limped off

Lol at the victory laps on here
Can only beat what's in front of you, and whilst you can't buy confidence at the store, you can pick it up in games like this. If the only thing that comes out of the game is Treacy believing in himself, that in itself is huge. Personally I think you can add chemistry building to that, plus getting AFL k's into Fyfe's legs. Rightly go in as massive underdogs next week, but no point ignoring that this was a step forward.

Sent from my SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Rd 9: Freo keep rolling against the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back