Club Legend
Suspended
Sep 22, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Victory,
Did the AA board just get a little cat crazy or what??

we all know Reiwoldt is very superior to Mooney but lets keep it to 2007. Should Mooney have made AA over Reiwoldt???

Mooney kicked more goals
Mooney had more goal assists
Mooney had more marks inside 50
And he gets his possessions much closer to goal instead of leading up the ground.

I think his 2007 was better than Reiwoldt's.

Mooney kicked more goals
Mooney had more goal assists
Mooney had more marks inside 50
And he gets his possessions much closer to goal instead of leading up the ground.

I think his 2007 was better than Reiwoldt's.

Mooney is not as soft as a marshmallow in the sun either

you can say anything you want but please keep it real.

Reiwoldts courage >> mooneys

not thuggary but courage for the ball come opn idiot!

Is courage rolling around on the ground like a stuck pig everytime someone touches you, while all the time looking longingly at the umpire ? I don't doubt Reiwolt is a superior skilled player, however I know who I would rather have in the trenches with me then the game is on the line and the hard things need to be done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

*Cough* Franklin *Cough*

Franklin wouldn't have been underserving, but I think his inconsistency counted against him. His 7 versus the crows followed by a poor game against the Roos was a classic example.

Lucas deserved to be in ahead of Mooney more so than Riewoldt did. As someone else has pointed out, Mooney is better performed than Riewoldt in the following areas:

- Goals
- Goal assists
- Marks inside 50m

... part of Riewoldt's problem is he struggles in front of goal and leads up the ground a lot to get his marks. He has not been nearly as influential to his side therefore as Mooney has.

Franklin wouldn't have been underserving, but I think his inconsistency counted against him. His 7 versus the crows followed by a poor game against the Roos was a classic example.

Lucas deserved to be in ahead of Mooney more so than Riewoldt did. As someone else has pointed out, Mooney is better performed than Riewoldt in the following areas:

- Goals
- Goal assists
- Marks inside 50m

... part of Riewoldt's problem is he struggles in front of goal and leads up the ground a lot to get his marks. He has not been nearly as influential to his side therefore as Mooney has.

Struggles in front of goals yet he was more accurate this year than Mooney :rolleyes:

Maybe the reason he leads up the ground is because there was a guy called Gehrig playing out of the goal square

Mooney made more of an impact in terms of the teams structure, whereas Riewoldt is a better player overall.

That said, perhaps the AA selectors consider that when selecting the team?

So they threw Cam Mooney in, as he is such an important piece in Geelong's forward line puzzle and therefore would be equally as important to an all star team.

I thought Riewoldt had a slow start to the year, whilst Cam was more consistent overall, but I was surprised Lucas or Franklin didn't get in.

Anyhow, all would have been deserving, and there will never be an AA team that everyone will agree on. It's like Mike Sheahans top 50...there's always controversial ommisions and inclusions, but that's always going to happen and the AA team is only an expression of opinion of half a dozen or so people, who are really no more qualified to judge than those who watch the players every week, like myself and many others

Struggles in front of goals yet he was more accurate this year than Mooney :rolleyes:

Maybe the reason he leads up the ground is because there was a guy called Gehrig playing out of the goal square

Everyone knows Riewoldt is not a reliable kick for goal. Mooney did struggle with accuracy yes, but he still kicked more than Riewoldt, which means he had way more shots because he took more marks inside 50m and got the ball in more dangerous positions etc etc etc...

Lucas > Mooney > Reiwoldt.

Mooney was miles ahead of Reiwoldt this year nfi why people keep saying he should be AA ahead of Mooney.

Lucas > Mooney > Reiwoldt.

Agree on this. Reiwoldt may be a better player overall, but based on the merits of this season Mooney has done a far better job. Blame the saints midfield or his poor form or whatever, it doesn't make a difference; on this season alone Mooney was superior. However, Lucas and Franklin probably deserved it ahead of the Big Cam.

Since when do we give key forward AA guernseys to blokes who only kicked 42 goals for the season?

It would have been unprecedented in recent history.

I can see the case for Franklin and I can see the case for Lucas, but the fact is, Riewoldt simply did not kick enough goals THIS SEASON.

Mooney made it because he kicked more goals than Riewoldt and was the key to the highest scoring forward line in the league.

QUOTE]

Franklin still kicked three, and it the leading finals goal kicker - will be interesting to see if Mooney overtakes him.

Over the season though, he was clearly superior to Mooney - same number of possessions and more goals from the same position - seems fairly simple, really.

I've just put Mooney down as the "Walls pick" of this year's team - a la Brad Ottens 2001 - a tall forward with powerful thighs for him to salivate over.

Franklin - Riewoldt - Lucas - Mooney.

Poor game? He kicked 3.3. You do that every game and you win the Coleman. It just shows how ridiculously he is judged when 3.3 is seen as a poor game yet 4 goals form Harvey (including 2 in junk time and 2 gifts) is seen as a good game and redemtion for a poor showing the week before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Reiwoldt v Mooney 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Back