Remember when? (North supporters only)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes had a soft spot re Matt Armstrong.

What happened in the end?

Omitted for Stuart ****ing Anderson.

Former North Melbourne coach Denis Pagan has made the startling revelation that he thinks more about omitting utility Matthew Armstrong from the triumphant 1996 Grand Final side than the actual premiership itself.

"If there's someone there who misses out then you can't help but feel for them," Pagan told _Sportal_. "I certainly think about it even now. Probably I think more about that than perhaps (that) we won the grand final because Matthew Armstrong's a quality person."

But what would have made the decision even harder for Pagan was the fact that Armstrong spent eight barren seasons with the Lions. In 175 career matches Armstrong had only been involved in three finals which all came in the two seasons he spent with North Melbourne. Depriving Armstrong the chance to finally have a shot at premiership glory after doing it so tough with Fitzroy would doubtlessly have added difficulty to Pagan's decision.

Matthew Armstrong, who lost his place to Anderson, hugged every player, one by one. Armstrong, who had been dropped on Thursday, rang Pagan on Friday morning. "He rang to apologise," says Pagan. "He had forgotten to wish the players and coach good luck."

http://www.users.on.net/~pwong/gf_loyal.htm

Really, this should be printed out and placed up on a wall at Arden Street.

A quality human being. He hung up his AFL boots and went back to Tassie.

Remember when Shannon Watt was our Key defender?

Remember when Jason McCartney returned from life threatening injury and kicked the sealer v Richmond?

Remember when Brent Harvey was knocked out in his 300th(??), returned to then kick a trademark goal?

Remember when Carey tore melbourne a new on on a friday night in 1996?

Remember during brisbane's wonder years early on in the 00's when David King protested with the umpires furiously that the behind kicked just before the final siren to level the game for brisbane was out on the full?

It's funny the different things you remember about football.

Reading through this thread and watching the clips have really made me miss Archer, Carey, Stevens, Grant, King, Simmo, etc

I remember when Leigh Harding did.

Bell, more circumspect, contemplated this time 12 months ago when he was delisted by Fremantle, over-looked in the national draft and seemed to have no football future. North Melbourne played him for half a match in Bundoora, liked what they saw and, when Jason Trianidis put too high a price on his head, took Bell in the February draft.

I would like Jason's address to send him a hand written thank you.

Sweetner was him moving to the Pies and the Lions knocking his mob off in back to back GF's but I'm sure bewildered to THIS day how a NS Medal can be gifted for not touching the ball in the last 6 minutes of a close GF?? Georgie (Voss) would of merited the honour but nothing you can do about it now.

How about the game when North played the pies (Tony Shaw's 300th IIRC) and Pagan put schwatter in the goal square dragging Bucks away from the action.. it was North's 125th anniversary celebration game and NO CAREY to boot. Despite trailing at HT by 4 gaols.. North flexed the typical Shinboner Spirit muscle and throttled the PIES to come away with a cruisy win!!

What a sweet night it was.
Pies were **** a hoop and thought they had the game in the bag.
Was very satisfying to see them leave early in the last quarter.

[Watch the last highlight on Winnie's goal @ the 'G vs Coll, it was easily one of the best goals from an individual IMHO who needed to weave around opponents and keep on running and slot it thru ON HIS OPPOSITE FOOT like a highly skilled SUPERSTAR that he was.

The greatest thing about that goal against the filth is that FIGJAM buys Winnies dummy like he would buy a copy of his own autobiography.

The greatest thing about that goal against the filth is that FIGJAM buys Winnies dummy like he would buy a copy of his own autobiography.

If you pause at 0:06, you can see that Collingwood have never changed their jumper..... NOT!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember something along those lines....I was a little confused as to whether or not it was an injury.

My recollection was that S Anderson had played well enough early in the 96 finals series but then got an injury that had him at 50/50?

I dont think he did all that much in the GF....5 disposals, and the QF didnt look that impressive either with 6 disposals

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/S/Stuart_Anderson.html

V

Armstrong

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/M/Matt_Armstrong.html

..whose form appears to have dropped off the past month of the year.

Yep, looks like one of them hard luck GF stories....

...yeh, like my fave player as a kid was...Malcolm Blight.

surprised-kid-falls-off-chair.gif

Keith Greig mine, we is old bro

...yep, we saw the best and worst obviously.

Donald McDonald.

Steve McCann.

Actually I remember around 2005 some North supporter calling out 'Drew McCann' at the Cattery.

Probably eats his words every time he sees Drew play now.

...yeh, like my fave player as a kid was...Malcolm Blight.

My favorite player as a kid was Duck.

I am unable to accurately express how much I would have loved to have seen the stars of the 70's at Arden St.

To be a North Melbourne Supporter in 75 must have been immeasurable joy.

This line bears repeating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember when? (North supporters only)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back