Autopsy Review 2022 R4, v. Melbourne (The most sackable game in AFL history?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ken will say in his presser, "We fought it out right till the last siren. I deserve a contract extension."
No way he deserves another contract but also gotta say that the players did have a crack right til the end.
They also held Melborne to less than 70 points due to some good defending.

There's nothing much can be said about the appalling selections and terrible forward 50 entries which were at least in part forced on the players by the gameplan and selection.

I was happy with endeavour of the players in the face of a terrible mismatch of selection and gameplan, most put in and fought it out to the end.

Yes there were skill errors and a collective spirit crushing of trying to connect a stop start sideways moving crab gameplan to a forward line of oompah loompahs.

But to those who showed spirit in the face of great adversity...

Welcome back Tom Clurey, that was a terrific display in defence, taking marks and defending properly.

Miles Bergman played with the composure of a 100 game veteran and gave his all.

Riley Bonner kept winning the ball and generally used it well.

Ryan Burton another in defence who gave his all, won the ball and defended strongly.

Travis Boak gave his all for the entire match, his relentless run and ability to change direction on the spot was great to see.

Lachie Jones is still a bit rustic but puts his big body in there and uses his pace and athleticism to advantage when he can.

Willem Drew for getting into the clinches and laying 10 tackles.

Zak Butters for coming to life in the second half and not trying to be too cute by half with every possession.

Peps for his energy and willingness to actually move the ball forward.

Georgie contested all night in a forward line that was seriously mismatched. He tried to jump over Gawn.

And speaking of Max Gawn, you are a freaking colossus. A guy your size shouldn't have skills like that nor did you need us to continually kick the ball to you. But there you go, I dips me lid.

Until it finally got overrun, our defence was a freakin' wall for a quarter and a half. Just got done by too many turnovers and easy rebounds that eventually it fell apart. Tom Clurey had maybe his best game ever for the club in his first game back after a long lay-off, huge credit to him.

Man that sucked to watch, more boring than anything else, but didn’t hurt anywhere near as much as last week. I think last week broke me and my expectations have completely changed.

I actually started looking at the positives, which is so unlike me after a loss. It feels like I’m
back in 2011. I thought defensively we were pretty good tonight. Particularly Bergman & clurey their first games back and the skipper battled his arse off. Suddenly the defence doesn’t look as much of an issue without a hopeless Skinner and one legged McKenzie.

The mids probably did okay all things considered, no wines, versus their star studded midfield.

So we improved in defence, which has been a huge issue for us leaking goals but the dysfunctional forward line actually got worse. Admittedly, the defence we were up against was a massive step up from previous oppo but we just had no forward structure at all. Seems to be so much confusion, it was a complete mess tonight. At one point I was worried we’d never score a goal.

A lot of talk about missing Dixon and it’s a huge loss but I think a lot are underestimating the importance of Robbie Gray and Fantasia too. I know a lot of people think he Robbie is finished but he instantly makes our forward line more dangerous. He is old but he still oozes class, Take out McEntee/Mayes for gray and we probably kick at least 2 or 3 more goals tonight and it probably doesn’t look as bad. I would’ve played him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Thought the defenders battled manfully but were let down by the forwards.

Drew had a good defensive midfielder game. Mids were not horrendous either.

Forward line is an unmitigated disaster and short of fundamentally changing the way we play, I have no idea what to do about it (not including the obvious coach sacking).

First half was just a joke. I got what we were trying to do but the sheer lack of size in the forward line AND atrocious delivery inside 50 (it doesn't have to be one or the other, it can be both) just made it a laughable way to play. It could easily have been 1 goal to 0 at half time if it weren't for us conceding that second goal and then just mentally collapsing as a result.

I'm sure the players tried hard. A lot of them aren't very good. Some are OK but being stifled by the game style and general lack of spirit in a team that is now just going through the motions for the next 5 months.

Hats off to Travis Boak. It's kind of humiliating that all these years later he's our best player and leader but there you go.

we suck again GIF
Circa 2009-2011

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First time since 2016 that we lost to the reigning premiers in the H&A
First time since 2018 that we've lost 4 games in a row
First time EVER that we haven't even kicked a goal in the first half.

We're on a road to nowhere. If they want any fans coming to round 6, accountability at the top MUST occur.
A Port fan told me tonight that Ken won't be going anywhere until round 17 at the earliest. My blunt reply was, "If that's the case, we'll be seeing crowds of 3000 at our home games, and 2000 of those will be supporting the opposition."

I enjoyed booing Hinkley off the ground and yelling at him to resign. That’s it. That’s all the positives.
Probably didn’t hear it over all those halfwits clapping the players off like some kind of conquering Romans. I felt sick watching that. Some of those cheer squad people live in wonderland.

Spotted a happy clapper.

View attachment 1366202
Some people just don’t understand football and they don’t take it as seriously as most of the people that comment on here do, that’s why they’re glad to wait their whole lives for their club to achieve success or don’t really care if they never achieve success, it’s just a casual thing for them

Spotted a happy clapper.

View attachment 1366202
I got into some verbal argy bargy with a bloke tonight after the first quarter where I not so quietly mentioned that it was another Hinkley special 0 goal quarter...

"One of those negative supporters"
"If you haven't coached shut up"

I just don't get it. What do they need to see before they realise something is wrong. A 0 goal quarter wasn't enough. A 0 goal half wasn't enough

Do they want a 0 goal game?

What is it going to take? Seriously.

I thought the defensive half was really good overall. They let one slip through a bit for their first goal, but after that they played really well and just got overwhelmed by turnovers against a really great rebounding and attacking side.

This was the best example I can think of of how cooked our forward strategy is since maybe that GWS loss in 2019 where we lost 55-56 and ran a forward line of Westhoff and Ryder. We'd literally be better just tumble punting the ball along the ground to enter the forward line and not even trying for a mark. Marshall and Georgiades tried really hard all day and got to a lot of contests, but when we have the ball 75m out, there's just nothing. No movement, no blocking, no run and carry, nothing. We just bomb it in long and hope, and that's the entire plan. Bassett is the worst assistant coach in the AFL.

And speaking of Max Gawn , you are a freaking colossus. A guy your size shouldn't have skills like that nor did you need us to continually kick the ball to you. But there you go, I dips me lid.

It was like Nikola Jokic versus Chris Blakemore.

Does anyone else remember when Aurelio Vidmar came out and roasted his own club after a finals loss and called Adelaide a pissant town?

Same goes right now. We're on the football equivalent of the nightmare boat ride scene from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

A total lack of accountability over a period of time has given way slowly to that sweet sweet law of diminishing returns. The talent is gone from the coaching box, every trade possible has been acquired, your "bad eggs" have been traded out, the mates in the media effluvised their support for you. Nine years of the false equivalence of trying to convince us theres nobody better when you arrived you were considered the last man standing.

Alot of the players tried hard tonight - too hard - so hard every time there was a little bit of space they didn't know what to do. Every opening they hesitated. They've been over coached into the ground and now there's no Aliir to save you, no Gray magic - it's done. If our captain is nauseated then I don't blame him. Same goes for the Jim Jones cordial crowd on Facebook - they really don't see it, do they? We're not the Crows, the 36ers, the Rams - this isn't a sideshow circus. Yet if you're not saying "wE wOn ThE sEcOnD hAlF" or support tha bois and coach or you're not a true fan - you're being negative.

Clear out the no hopers now, or else even the no-hopers in the crowd won't show up and we could ironically be back to a West Coast game with an 11k crowd in two weeks.

See you at the footy!

Ladhams would have been handy playing on Lever tonight.

So might have Hayes.

As soon as Lever was picked we had to play another tall, not to mention having to battle Gawn and Jackson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Review 2022 R4, v. Melbourne (The most sackable game in AFL history?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back