Autopsy Review vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't we suffered enough as Saints supporters already. That was so humiliating watching us lose in the last 120 seconds. We always promised so much but never deliver. Probably a good thing we're not in finals this year so hopefully we can pick up a couple of good mids and push for finals next year.

It was bloody frustrating and painful, but humiliating? No. That's when we get thumped by 50 plus.

Last edited:
We played the 3rd youngest, and 3rd least experienced 22 behind the QLD teams this weekend.

Compared to the 22 vs Essendon which was the last time Riewoldt, Montagna and Gilbert played - our Avg games dropped by 25%, and shaved 1yr 3 mth off our average age. Fair to say they're overrated stats, but still interesting.

It was bloody frustrating, but humiliating? No. That's when we get thumped by 50 plus.
Exactly. Nice to be in the game for 4 quarters for once. Was getting tired of setting aside a couple of hours on my weekend only to find that we weren't even in the contest. We had every chance going into the last to win the game. We gave it a huge crack and nearly pulled it off. Carlisle was massive, Dunstan has hopefully silenced people who'd made a hobby out of calling for his head. Membrey a really good target despite the conditions. Savage has embarrased all the people on here who said he was finished. Mackenzie played about his most significant game yet, and showed that he can actually mix it at this level. Sinclair is probably my favourite Saint at the moment. He came in under the shadow of Billings but he's outplaying JB overall this season.

Sack Richo. If you think that's going to happen you know as much about football as my 3yo daughter.
He took a team with 40-odd games less experience per player over to Adelaide, and as you so rightly say we should have been 5 goals up but blew chances.
The turnover by, I think it was Ross when they said that leaves the door open. That's exactly what it did.
But sack Richo. 3 goals 12 in the first 3 quarters. But sack Richo.
Sack Richo, and then Kelly and Lever will be banging down the door to come here, do you think? Know much about the way the football world works?
Picks Mackenzie, Dunstan, Savage - all played damn well. But sack Richo.
Honestly mate, I wrote a post after way too many drinks the other night - but I could have drunk half a slab more and posted something that made more sense than this rubbish. Sack Richo, honestly.

He was being sarcastic mate.

Gotta say that we might be upset and that was a horrible last two minutes, but I reckon the players will be gutted by that loss.

So spare a thought for those who were actually out there today.

They gave a mighty effort but weren't good enough when it mattered.

I was expecting a 10 goal belting. Still hurts. But I don't think I have the right to be critical, because all I did was sit on my arse and watch the game.

Today reminded me of 2009 grand final... and the draw in 2010.

Last edited:
Nope. Sack Richo.
In all honesty game should have been over. We should have been 5 goals up. The amount of chances we blew in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Just wow. Did we have 4 out on the fulls in those quarters as scoring opportunitiesas well?

2 A grade mids and fast ones at that and a 3rd tall. Lever and Kelly would be a massive help.
Sorry Saint Shags!
I tuned in late in the convo and didn't catch your sarcasm at all. Thanks VDS!!

Yeah you're probably right but I'm just angry so I'm just writing stupid stuff

Believe me you're not alone on this. Took me a long time but I have calmed down a little...until I wake up tomorrow and think about it again!

Sorry Saint Shags!
I tuned in late in the convo and didn't catch your sarcasm at all. Thanks VDS!!

All good Luca happens at times.
When Gray kicked the goal I left the house and went for a walk. I was that mix of angry and heartbroken. To get so close when no one thought we had a chance. And that they didn't give up even after 3 quarters of disastrous goal kicking. To let it slip that way was just numbing.
But there are positives and things to make you realise there are improvements still happening.

Believe me you're not alone on this. Took me a long time but I have calmed down a little...until I wake up tomorrow and think about it again!

Trying to get some sleep tonight without thinking about it Is going to be annoying. I think I'll be staying away from the footy shows tomorrow don't like watching them when we lose. Maybe this loss will spur us on to win the next 4 games and make finals..lol. Wishful thinking of a saints supporter :)

Trying to get some sleep tonight without thinking about it Is going to be annoying. I think I'll be staying away from the footy shows tomorrow don't like watching them when we lose. Maybe this loss will spur us on to win the next 4 games and make finals..lol. Wishful thinking of a saints supporter :)

Like any setback in life... it can either break you or spur you on to greatness.

All depends on what you allow it to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As previously said a few times, we have a bit of a North feel about us, just not quite good enough.

Even group but nothing special. No point worrying about that I guess and just doing everything we can to succeed.

Aaron Hamill is our forwards coach time to cut him.get new ideas from outside the club

Even my old mat Dermy today, players leading to wrong pockets ,and someone should have taught our forwards have to play for/ win free kicks
evidenced when Bruce was monstered by two players in goal square,

Hi, I'm a new supporter of the club this year. I regained interest in the AFL just recently and the Saints jumped out at me fairly on in the season with a good mixture of honesty and youth, and I'm looking forward to supporting St. Kilda from now on.

I haven' t seen let alone supported many of the players that the club has this this year and has had in previous years, but I do have some raw, first impressions of players from tonight's game and previous games.

Dunstan - I don't recall seeing him very often this season, but he must have been injured because you can see how desperate he is for the ball and for his team over the last two weeks, but I'll see if he backs it up next week
Bruce - this bloke tries, doesn't he? Not a great kick sometimes (but tonight very few Saints were) but by god you can see he is a heart and soul player
Ross - probably been the best player I've seen for St Kilda so far, just gets possessions in a nonchalant kind of way while seeming bouncy
Membrey - I was amazed to see that this guy is 21! he pretty much is the best 1 on 1 (aside from Carlisle) in the team. How about that premature sealer tonight? ice cool
Carlisle - If he was playing on that numpty ruckman last week, I'd say he probably needed to perform like he did tonight. And he was the teams best.
Roberton - he's the smooth mover of the team as far as I can see so far, kind of a corey enright/scarlett type?
Billings - It looks like he has an amazing influence in the forward line when he gets the ball, which is why it is disappointing to see him waste so many opportunities.
Gresham - he's got the magic
Steele - This guy's 21 too?? He is going to be an absolute beast with a few more preseasons
Rice - and this guy must be a debutant because I haven't seen him so far this year. He played like an experienced, good backman :thumbsu:

Those are pretty much the players that standout - mostly from tonight - to a virgin supporter of the club, for one reason or another.

Watched the first 3q and heard the last quarter in the car (listening to tredrea nearly made me deliberately run off the road)..

Though dissapointing to lose in the mannor we did i can't help but feel shattered for the players, to not be able to finish in front of goal all night and keep coming only to be pipped at the post was devastating.

Carlisle, Dunstan.. bloody sensational games

Brucey is a deadset warrior, gets bashed all game and keeps going..

I'm bullish about next year, we've got a lot of kids with simmering talents threatening to boil over into consistent stars

Exactly. Nice to be in the game for 4 quarters for once. Was getting tired of setting aside a couple of hours on my weekend only to find that we weren't even in the contest. We had every chance going into the last to win the game. We gave it a huge crack and nearly pulled it off. Carlisle was massive, Dunstan has hopefully silenced people who'd made a hobby out of calling for his head. Membrey a really good target despite the conditions. Savage has embarrased all the people on here who said he was finished. Mackenzie played about his most significant game yet, and showed that he can actually mix it at this level. Sinclair is probably my favourite Saint at the moment. He came in under the shadow of Billings but he's outplaying JB overall this season.

Sinclair has played some nice games no doubt but i don't think he has been better than jb this season (pls for the love of god jack hire sav rocca)

Hi, I'm a new supporter of the club this year. I regained interest in the AFL just recently and the Saints jumped out at me fairly on in the season with a good mixture of honesty and youth, and I'm looking forward to supporting St. Kilda from now on.

I haven' t seen let alone supported many of the players that the club has this this year and has had in previous years, but I do have some raw, first impressions of players from tonight's game and previous games.

Dunstan - I don't recall seeing him very often this season, but he must have been injured because you can see how desperate he is for the ball and for his team over the last two weeks, but I'll see if he backs it up next week
Bruce - this bloke tries, doesn't he? Not a great kick sometimes (but tonight very few Saints were) but by god you can see he is a heart and soul player
Ross - probably been the best player I've seen for St Kilda so far, just gets possessions in a nonchalant kind of way while seeming bouncy
Membrey - I was amazed to see that this guy is 21! he pretty much is the best 1 on 1 (aside from Carlisle) in the team. How about that premature sealer tonight? ice cool
Carlisle - If he was playing on that numpty ruckman last week, I'd say he probably needed to perform like he did tonight. And he was the teams best.
Roberton - he's the smooth mover of the team as far as I can see so far, kind of a corey enright/scarlett type?
Billings - It looks like he has an amazing influence in the forward line when he gets the ball, which is why it is disappointing to see him waste so many opportunities.
Gresham - he's got the magic
Steele - This guy's 21 too?? He is going to be an absolute beast with a few more preseasons
Rice - and this guy must be a debutant because I haven't seen him so far this year. He played like an experienced, good backman :thumbsu:

Those are pretty much the players that standout - mostly from tonight - to a virgin supporter of the club, for one reason or another.

Quick, it's not too late to change clubs before you are stuck with years of pain!
Just kidding, welcome to Saints, the club with the most resilient of supporters!
Enjoyed your upbeat thoughts on the players, only thing is that
"Rice" is actually Brandon White, playing only his second game for the club, he is very composed for a baby of the AFL. He debuted last game of last season. He is going to be a very good player for us.

Sinclair has played some nice games no doubt but i don't think he has been better than jb this season (pls for the love of god jack hire sav rocca)
Fair enough, I might be overvalueing his play based on expectations. He's been one of the few players who has made good decisions and executed well this season. Billings started the season really well, but lately Sincs has been very important.

Another disgraceful post match topic. Most bar a few are just simply whinging.. guarantee you if we win that very few would be complaining.. we went into the game severe underdogs, port are top 4 and we are playing them at home FFS! No one on here expects us to win and suddenly we lose a close one and it's all about wholesale changes, give me a spell. It's not the players who are weak, our supporter base is as fickle as fk!

So after a huge row with my missus about "controlling your temper watching football" I'm finally back to discuss this abysmal game.

Q1-Q3

Great across the mid and back half but some of the worst conversion attempts ive seen and the half forward entries weren't much better. Gresham should be so upset right now he cost us 2 easy chances to turn up the heat.
Mav should be put in cotton wool and on notice for season 2018 cos he hasn't been right all year and now isn't the time to persist with him.
Lonie won't make it until he stops trying to be Milney and starts becoming Schnieder, otherwise he's cooked.

Q4 until 2:00 to go.

Thought we'd done it and made a statement at the Adelaide Oval finally. Played some terrific defense and transition football and nailed some chances harder than the ones we had all game. Membrey a star.

2:00 onwards.

The worst feeling ive had as a Saints fan since Cloke goaled to put Collingwood back in front in the Drawn GF. The most shitty abysmal planning and execution of last minute tactics since Richmond went down the corridor against Freo a few years ago. I've never been so flat after a H/A game this is the end of our season realistically and it's typified by piss poor conversion yet again. Hamill should fire up that resume because he needs the arse as soon as the season ends. We need a dedicated goal kicking coach as well as a forward coach as we're falling apart where it counts right now.

Richo and the club need to make some tough calls now about the support staff and the list because we still have plenty to do.

Brandon White will be a star. Kids got more composure in 2 games and 1 foot than Joey ever had.

Interested in how the offseason goes from here because that's 2017 folks and wasn't it terrible.

Just watched the last 2 mins again and have to say, Ross made a bit of a blue. With 1:30 left we win the clearance and he just booted it forward to no one inside our 50, turned it over for a goal. If we'd controlled the ball there we win - the temptation to just kick it forward was obvious but it just shows that we were so desperate to win that we lost our heads. Hopefully he learns from that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Review vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Back