Revised top 10 from 2013 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boyd's Grand Final heroics seem to have overshadowed many impressive efforts from earlier in his career, in addition to the heavy workload he shouldered as a ruckman as the Dogs charged to the flag.

He's also had to deal with persistent injuries throughout his time in the AFL.

He's also 21.

It's very easy to shuffle him down the pecking order on the basis of his performances relative to his wage, but unless you're compiling a value ranking, it makes little sense to put similarly unproven players (over a period of time) ahead of him.

He's clearly going to be in the best handful from this draft.

Injuries? Cripps had a broken leg (affected his development) - does that mean he's a clear #1?

Injuries? Cripps had a broken leg (affected his development) - does that mean he's a clear #1?
He's a clear #3 to Bontempelli and daylight.

Cripps missed his first season. Boyd has missed blocks of footy that have prevented him from developing any continuity.

It's similar with McCartin from 2014. Both look like bona fide top picks, but have been interrupted throughout their careers to date.

Is the thread about re-ranking where players would go in the draft or just ranking who is better? The two are different things IMO, though Bontempelli would probably still be #1 in both cases.

If this is about re-ranking players in the draft based on what we now know, I suspect most clubs would still take Boyd at #1. For a 21 year old key forward, he is tracking beautifully. If this is just about who has performed better so far then it is probably a bit premature.
If a single club passed on Bont with what we have now seen they would be insane. Even with the value of keys forwards, Bont is still head and shoulders above the rest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If this is about re-ranking players in the draft based on what we now know, I suspect most clubs would still take Boyd at #1. For a 21 year old key forward, he is tracking beautifully. If this is just about who has performed better so far then it is probably a bit premature.
No chance. Bont is a far, far superior and rarer talent. Boyd isn't tracking that beautifully. It's not a big deal considering he's 21 and 200cm, but he's played fewer than five good games in three years and has limitations in his game that won't automatically be overcome as he matures.

Can you point me the game where Ablett played in 2016? I was overseas and missed it.

This is really cool, I get to watch both players for a 2016 game and compare them.
Seems u missed my point too.

Around 1980 don Bradman was asked how well he would go if he played now? (1980) he replied that he would probably average around 50. 'Only 50?' The surprised interviewer asked
'Well I am 75' he replied

Seems u missed my point too.

Around 1980 don Bradman was asked how well he would go if he played now? (1980) he replied that he would probably average around 50. 'Only 50?' The surprised interviewer asked
'Well I am 75' he replied
I did not miss your point at all.

I responded to exactly what you wrote.

No chance. Bont is a far, far superior and rarer talent. Boyd isn't tracking that beautifully. It's not a big deal considering he's 21 and 200cm, but he's played fewer than five good games in three years and has limitations in his game that won't automatically be overcome as he matures.
I'd tend to agree with this. As it stands now, I'd guess recruiters would want to take Bont with #1, then it would be a somewhat split decision between Cripps and Boyd with #2, and Merett coming in after. Not saying that's a ranking of who the better players are, just where they would go in the draft if it were done again.

You reckon Merrett would be the difference between winning and losing finals at this stage of his career? Without Boyd we wouldn't have won the flag this year. That is a fact. He has only played a couple of great games but what better time to play them.
Well it'd not a fact, but anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back