• Andrew McQualter

Votes: 87 37.8%
  • Adem Yze

Votes: 146 63.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
the point is he was a "retread" as you call them. many grand finals with the cats and two flags with the crows. could coach.

i’m not over keen on leppa either. i think he’s a one-out-one-back coach along the lines of bolton. but there’s not a huge array of available talent so he has to be in the mix.
Do me the favour, list every retread coach since 2000 and then list how many went on to win flags? Malthouse is the only one i can think of?

Mathews as well mate, but they were both premiership coaches previously. Massive difference than hiring a Sproule or Neeld
the main difference is though, second time coaches usually go to bottom struggling clubs who have sacked their coach and are looking for "an experienced coach".

That coach then usually does most of the grunt work, turning the list over for 4 years, before they get the sack and a new coach takes over and gets the rewards.

In our case, we aren't exactly a basket case with a sacked coach. We may need to go backwards a little, but there's enough there for a coach to work with straight away IMO

the main difference is though, second time coaches usually go to bottom struggling clubs who have sacked their coach and are looking for "an experienced coach".

That coach then usually does most of the grunt work, turning the list over for 4 years, before they get the sack and a new coach takes over and gets the rewards.

In our case, we aren't exactly a basket case with a sacked coach. We may need to go backwards a little, but there's enough there for a coach to work with straight away IMO
Agree, but it's only happened with two coaches in 23 years and they were both previous premiership coaches. Our list has massive issues being in the midfield and tall forward departments. Get them right and we can talk business.

Thought one discussed above also qualifies, Malcolm Blight?
I reckon 25 years is a good sample size, but i'll play. So, since 1997, out of all the retread coaches hired and fired, only 3 have worked out being Blight (97/98), Matthews 2001 to 2003 and Malthouse 2010. Now, someone please go through all the retread coaches hired, divide it by the successful ones and tell me what the percentage chances of success are. it would be around 5%. Certainly not above 10%. I think the numbers are in my favour somehow.

Mathews as well mate, but they were both premiership coaches previously. Massive difference than hiring a Sproule or Neeld
Please see my above post.

I reckon 25 years is a good sample size, but i'll play. So, since 1997, out of all the retread coaches hired and fired, only 3 have worked out being Blight (97/98), Matthews 2001 to 2003 and Malthouse 2010. Now, someone please go through all the retread coaches hired, divide it by the successful ones and tell me what the percentage chances of success are. it would be around 5%. Certainly not above 10%. I think the numbers are in my favour somehow.
Just a little later than 25 years - Parkin (95), Jeans (83, 86, 89), Walls (87), Barassi (75, 77).

the point is he was a "retread" as you call them. many grand finals with the cats and two flags with the crows. could coach.

i’m not over keen on leppa either. i think he’s a one-out-one-back coach along the lines of bolton. but there’s not a huge array of available talent so he has to be in the mix.

Sorry what is the story when Leppa was a coach at RFC? He did it twice,

Lions did not work. I seen a article he felt the goalposts shifted. To me the Lions are only contenders this year.

If Leppa is good at development I think we can make a case for him. What are the faults? Have they improved??

To me Leppa after Voss was a tough ask with their list and possible expectations, Ratten going better now at North with Wardlaw coming through.

To me Hinkley is better because of Roozee, Butters and JHF. Without them he would be gone no doubt

Good players make good coaches but good coaches can develop. I was annoyed the Pies took Mcrae gotta say

Would love to see what Andy Collins could do as an AFL Coach. His resume is incredible

Player: VFA Premiership with Sandringham, 3 AFL Premierships with Hawthorn, Best and Fairest winner and 5th place in Brownlow playing a back pocket.
Premiership Coach with Sandringham in first season

Assistant Coach/VFL at StKilda, Hawthorn, Richmond (Coburg - VFL Grand Final) with his players going on to be senior players in their clubs AFL Grand Finals.

Two time winner of Foxtel Cup National State League Championship with West Adelaide and SANFL Grand Final
Premiership with Williamstown in first season and another Grand Final

The worst he has achieved with any team is a Grand Final loss, no wonder Sam Mitchell (who he coached in his first two years at Hawthorn) brought him straight over from Williamstown the moment he signed on to be the Hawks next coach.

Seriously, he is the perfect head coach for the Gold Coast Suns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to see what Andy Collins could do as an AFL Coach. His resume is incredible

Player: VFA Premiership with Sandringham, 3 AFL Premierships with Hawthorn, Best and Fairest winner and 5th place in Brownlow playing a back pocket.
Premiership Coach with Sandringham in first season

Assistant Coach/VFL at StKilda, Hawthorn, Richmond (Coburg - VFL Grand Final) with his players going on to be senior players in their clubs AFL Grand Finals.

Two time winner of Foxtel Cup National State League Championship with West Adelaide and SANFL Grand Final
Premiership with Williamstown in first season and another Grand Final

The worst he has achieved with any team is a Grand Final loss, no wonder Sam Mitchell (who he coached in his first two years at Hawthorn) brought him straight over from Williamstown the moment he signed on to be the Hawks next coach.

Seriously, he is the perfect head coach for the Gold Coast Suns.

I'm with you.
Surprised he never seems to have come close.
Know someone from his time in the VFA and says Collins is more than highly regarded.

Every man and their dog new we knew we were rebuilding on the run from last year. They even said it. It's why we have been going to the draft since we bought Lynch over. Let me know what the squad age looks like once you retire Jack, Cotchin and Tarrant off, then the year after add Grimes and possibly Dusty. Our next serious tilt won't start until 2025 minimum. This is what rebuilding looks like while you get games into Hugo, Balta, Ross, Ryan, Sonsie, Cumbo etc etc. I think a few people have forgotten what it looks like.
Unlike you i am optimistic about the age list profile. But, i am also patent enough to understand the next couple of years, we are gonna drop back a bit. Doesn't matter whose coaching.
The assumption amongst us is the next coach will be a 10+ year coach. One that could oversee the rebuild on the run then reap the rewards.

Hopefully this is the case and a young experienced premiership winning assistant who has also experienced success as a player would be the go. Mini almost fits the bill given he just missed out on the ultimate as a player. I'm prepared to overlook that.

Depending on what transpires over the remainder of the year, I could think of a lot worse than Mini at this stage of our transition.

How many have got a 2nd chance since 2000 ?
Roos, Lyon, Clarkson, Ratten, Malthouse, Wallace, B Scott, M Voss straight off the top of my head.

Just a little later than 25 years - Parkin (95), Jeans (83, 86, 89), Walls (87), Barassi (75, 77).
So in 60 years, we got 7 coaches. Soooo 7 divided by total number of rehired coaches winning grand finals is........

Do me the favour, list every retread coach since 2000 and then list how many went on to win flags? Malthouse is the only one i can think of?
How many premiership coaches since 2000? Hardwick, Matthews, Clarkson, Bomber, Scott account for 14? So like 11 in 22 years? And Lyon, Clarko, Voss other Scott in their second gig? Not many get a second chance tbh?

No one interested in Bolton, Knights, Rutten, Williams,Teague, Neeld

yeah kooga had good colours in 2011-13 and then BLK was good in 2014 too. It wasn't until 2015 that they stuffed up with the faded look

think the campaigners used a cheapo material from 2015 that didn't print the colours properly and then they went arse up
There’s method to the madness. This “yellow” is all about shoring up our next major sponsor.

E5333132-61A3-4A26-91EE-2B7F26DE8A6D.jpeg

How many premiership coaches since 2000? Hardwick, Matthews, Clarkson, Bomber, Scott account for 14? So like 11 in 22 years? And Lyon, Clarko, Voss other Scott in their second gig? Not many get a second chance tbh?

No one interested in Bolton, Knights, Rutten, Williams,Teague, Neeld
Yeah, and out of those, Matthews was the only retread. That’s my point. Beverage, Goodwin, Longmire, all first time appointees.
I don’t think people realize the more they argue against me, the more they help prove my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back