• Andrew McQualter

Votes: 87 37.8%
  • Adem Yze

Votes: 146 63.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dimma was a failed coach, really. At the end of 2016, everyone was expecting him to be sacked. He'd never won a final. We were a laughing stock as a club. He was a frustrated leader without answers. At any other time in our history or at the majority of other clubs in the competition, if a coach had had that length of tenure and was still could not take their club to the finals, let alone win one, he would have been gone. Like Leppa was after an incredible harsh call of 3 years.

To me, Leppa is no more of a failed coach than Dimma was. The difference was the support Dimma was given. I don't think it's any coincidence that when Leppa brought back to the club the learnings he had made from his time as coach, we turned things around. I'm not claiming all our success was because of him - Dimma needs credit for pulling it all together, changing the club culture, backing in players such as Rioli, Dusty, Cotchin etc - but Leppa made some significant changes to our gameplan and on field structure that turned it around.

For me, the 'failed coach' tag should be ignored. Leppa is not the same leader he was when he coached Brisbane. He is now a well rounded coach. Maybe it took that failure (for Dimma and Leppa) to change and learn what truly works as a people manager. Leppa has the established relationships, the knowledge, the learnings that allow him to fit straight into the role. An untried coach, making a fresh start, takes us back to basics....and then they still might fail.

I'm not closed off to other possible coaches but I know enough about Leppa and our club to know it would be a good fit.
Dimma---->you learn more from your losses than your wins!

One Recycled coach has gone on and won a flag.
People are rejecting Mini because we need a new voice.
Leppa is not a new voice.
He'll only bring what we already know anyway
Think we should go for a rookie who will add to what we already know.
But...but...but...what about the stuff we don't know...?!?

One Recycled coach has gone on and won a flag.
People are rejecting Mini because we need a new voice.
Leppa is not a new voice.
He'll only bring what we already know anyway
Think we should go for a rookie who will add to what we already know.

I understand what you're suggesting, that if we go with Leppa then we go with the same message. I'm just a little confused why a message that won us 3 flags is not a good message to continue with? If Leppa came in I actually don't think he would go with the same old though. Collingwood is now using that same 'voice' (Leppa and McCrae) to great success. Regardless, I think Leppa have his own take and bring in new strategies while keeping what he now knows works.

A Rookie coach usually tries to emulate successful game plans for successful clubs. Almost every club is now copying the Richmond (and now Collingwood) game plan. A Rookie coach would need to establish relationships with assistant coaches, players and administration. If they were bringing in a completely new game plan, a Rookie Coach would need to develop and train it with the squad for years before it is established - by then our list would have completely changed and may not suit the game plan.

There is this great, attractive illusion that new is always better. The starting from scratch will get rid of all the blemishes and problems. One lesson we should have learned from Dimma is to embrace the weaknesses but highlight the successes. Leppa has been very successful with us and has many strengths.

His time at the Lions or as part of our club are not reasons to avoid appointing him as coach - they're actually reasons why we should.

But...but...but...what about the stuff we don't know...?!?
Well ..... I suppose that we don't know that we don't know that

His time at the Lions or as part of our club are not reasons to avoid appointing him as coach - they're actually reasons why we should.

The old exception that proves the rule argument. That's a personal favourite of mine lol

Just a gut feel.
I liked what he did with Hardwick though.

Just think we need to move forward and start a new chapter with completely new people

Dimma, Peggy, probably Benny all gone. As well as most of the assistant coaches all gone from the successful team. At least 2 champion players will join that list come years end

New faces with a new mindset and new message is the way forward
I agree. I want to see new times led by new people.

I understand what you're suggesting, that if we go with Leppa then we go with the same message. I'm just a little confused why a message that won us 3 flags is not a good message to continue with? If Leppa came in I actually don't think he would go with the same old though. Collingwood is now using that same 'voice' (Leppa and McCrae) to great success. Regardless, I think Leppa have his own take and bring in new strategies while keeping what he now knows works.

A Rookie coach usually tries to emulate successful game plans for successful clubs. Almost every club is now copying the Richmond (and now Collingwood) game plan. A Rookie coach would need to establish relationships with assistant coaches, players and administration. If they were bringing in a completely new game plan, a Rookie Coach would need to develop and train it with the squad for years before it is established - by then our list would have completely changed and may not suit the game plan.

There is this great, attractive illusion that new is always better. The starting from scratch will get rid of all the blemishes and problems. One lesson we should have learned from Dimma is to embrace the weaknesses but highlight the successes. Leppa has been very successful with us and has many strengths.

Excellent post.You make some compelling arguments on yes too leppa.
But the standout stat for me is the lack of success for recycled coaches.
End of the day I'll trust the club in making the right choice.(As long as it's not Buckley).

Excellent post.You make some compelling arguments on yes too leppa.
But the standout stat for me is the lack of success for recycled coaches.
End of the day I'll trust the club in making the right choice.(As long as it's not Buckley).

The overwhelming majority of coaches that get appointed are first time coaches so it makes sense that first time coaches win most of the premierships.

There’s only 4 out of the 18 current coaches who aren’t first time coaches.

Dimma was a failed coach, really. At the end of 2016, everyone was expecting him to be sacked. He'd never won a final. We were a laughing stock as a club. He was a frustrated leader without answers. At any other time in our history or at the majority of other clubs in the competition, he would have been gone. If a coach had had that length of tenure and was still could not take their club to the finals, let alone win one, he would have been sacked. Like Leppa was after an incredible harsh call of 3 years.

To me, Leppa is no more of a failed coach than Dimma was. The difference was the support Dimma was given. I don't think it's any coincidence that when Leppa brought back to the club the learnings he had made from his time as coach, we turned things around. I'm not claiming all our success was because of him - Dimma needs credit for pulling it all together, changing the club culture, backing in players such as Rioli, Dusty, Cotchin etc - but Leppa made some significant changes to our gameplan and on field structure that turned it around.

For me, the 'failed coach' tag should be ignored. Leppa is not the same leader he was when he coached Brisbane. He is now a well rounded coach. Maybe it took that failure (for Dimma and Leppa) to change and learn what truly works as a people manager. Leppa has the established relationships, the knowledge, the learnings that allow him to fit straight into the role. An untried coach, making a fresh start, takes us back to basics....and then they still might fail.

I'm not closed off to other possible coaches but I know enough about Leppa and our club to know it would be a good fit.
I totally understand that a coach can, and should learn from any failings first time around, and be better for the experience. But sometimes things don't change for any number of reasons. I'm sure the Blues thought Voss would be different second time around, especially with the assistant coach experience from Port behind him.
Maybe Voss will do what Dimma did, and turn things around...but maybe not.

He’ll be arriving through a tunnel.
Chris Gutierrez Sport GIF by UFC

#elchappyreturns

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well if his wife is good with the idea. I would be very surprised if he was not in the final two for the position. Would happily have him back.

david king gets stuff wildly wrong every week still. just because he has the media skills to sound like he knows what he's talking about doesn't mean he's actually any good. he will look at 3 seconds of play and suggest changes to a teams entire structure and strategy based on those 3 seconds. then that team plays and benefits from doing the exact opposite of what he suggested. don't want anywhere near our club he's useless

exactly. he and wallace sent the club into free fall as coaches. gets into the media and he becomes an expert.

Ideally I would like mini to progress because he has time on his side,only young still.

With any coach,you really need a few years for them to really see what they are made of.
Anyone expecting a turnaround overnight are kidding themselves.

Rome was not built in a day.

Remember being at a 3121 Coterie (might have been Player Sponsor back then) pre game talk. Usually they had an assistant coach come and discuss tactics etc.

David King came in to present. We were playing Collingwood and they were good and we were s**t. He said we will get them in the midfield and felt we had the players to go with Collingwood head to head.

I scoffed and he looked at me.

Anyway, we got smashed by around 90 points that day. Never rated him as an assistant.

What I will say, is people change. They adapt and improve. We aren’t all stagnant. I do rate his tactical nous in the media now, he’s actually very good. Does that translate to being a coach? Who knows but just stating he’s doing a great job now.

david king gets stuff wildly wrong every week still. just because he has the media skills to sound like he knows what he's talking about doesn't mean he's actually any good. he will look at 3 seconds of play and suggest changes to a teams entire structure and strategy based on those 3 seconds. then that team plays and benefits from doing the exact opposite of what he suggested. don't want anywhere near our club he's useless
David King is only ever good at analyzing things in the past. And he presents that to us in his media role as if he understands it, or saw it coming.

He uses stats from champion data to find trends (that are already occurring) and then vision to back up his statement. I don't think he actually reads or understands the game himself, which is what coaching is all about.

You watch him on Fox, he will only ever show you something thats a 3 week or month trend. And when he shows you, that's all you get. Theres nothing around how to combat it, there's no insight into why it's working for the club, theres nothing, just a few stats backed by some vision.

The only role he would be good at in club land is Opposition analysis. Where he does what he does now on Fox, for a clubs next opponent, looks back at stats and vision for the last month to tell people what's happening, then moves out of the way to let the smart people work on a plan to beat it.

Ideally I would like mini to progress because he has time on his side,only young still.

With any coach,you really need a few years for them to really see what they are made of.

Same could be said with Yze and Carr. I believe would be better with someone outside the club.

The problem with McQualter is that he's not necessarily new ideas from Dimma. He's been with us for yonks, and we don't really get that much change, which I think is now required to move forward with whoever gets the senior job.

Change won't happen overnight, but listen to his pressers, he literally says he's not looking to change anything.

No one expects drastic change in a week or two, but surely it wouldn't hurt for him to say "we're going to try a few new things with tactics, gameplans, players and continue to develop our young players". He doesn't want a bar of it.

There is zero pressure and expectation on him now, everyone knows finals is gone. It's a free hit to try a few new ideas, does he have any?

The problem with McQualter is that he's not necessarily new ideas from Dimma. He's been with us for yonks, and we don't really get that much change, which I think is now required to move forward with whoever gets the senior job.

Change won't happen overnight, but listen to his pressers, he literally says he's not looking to change anything.

No one expects drastic change in a week or two, but surely it wouldn't hurt for him to say "we're going to try a few new things with tactics, gameplans, players and continue to develop our young players". He doesn't want a bar of it.

There is zero pressure and expectation on him now, everyone knows finals is gone. It's a free hit to try a few new ideas, does he have any?
In fairness though. Balme did say we won’t be changing much up did he not. Agree with you that our next coach should be outside the club.

Dimma was a failed coach, really. At the end of 2016, everyone was expecting him to be sacked. He'd never won a final. We were a laughing stock as a club. He was a frustrated leader without answers. At any other time in our history or at the majority of other clubs in the competition, he would have been gone. If a coach had had that length of tenure and was still could not take their club to the finals, let alone win one, he would have been sacked. Like Leppa was after an incredible harsh call of 3 years.

100% - people can learn from experience. In politics, for instance, John Howard was a failure as Liberal Party leader the first time around, including losing the 1987 election and losing the leadership to Andrew Peacock. As we know, though, he regained the leadership in 1995 and kept it for almost 13 years, including winning four elections.

I dont think I would mind Mini as coach but its far too early to decide.

I remember the Gieschen days, he was a world beater as care taker coach and then couldn't coach for crap.

Things werent broken under Dimma, not imo, its just that our list got old. The system still works and Collingwood are currently reaping the benefits.

However, where I feel our club needs to look at more is our recruiting department and fitness. I think we could improve in those areas. Perhaps with the spare cash from Dimma's contract can be pumped into those departments?

In fairness though. Balme did say we won’t be changing much up did he not. Agree with you that our next coach should be outside the club.
I don't know why we wouldn't take the free swing in these games. We don't even have a first round pick implications, so finishing higher or lower is irrelevant from that standpoint too. You don't many situations in the AFL where you've been recently succesful so there's not enormous pressure on the club, you have 10+ weeks of free hit games, you're pretty injury hit so you have reason to throw some players around, you have some talented young and untried players in the VFL.

I actually find it poor management of the situation if we don't use these games to try all those ideas. Surely over the years the assistant coaches have had some lightbulb moments of "I reckon this could work", but it's never been committed to, now is the time to try that stuff! There's literally nothing to lose, you never get that for half a season in the AFL, it's usually reserved for the bottom few teams in the last few rounds of the season.

What if we discovered that a few players could player a few unexpected positions? Or that moving the ball in a slightly different way worked for our team? Or that if we changed XYZ tactic in XYZ area of the game it leads to a better result....

It's a missed opportunity if we don't take advantage of this very unique position.

Seriously, does anyone want to see the same shit we've been seeing for the rest of the year?
It's been awful watching us fail the same ways week on week.

It might do wonders for the playing group too, to get some freshen up and freedom and change from recent times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back