Club Focus Richmond 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

I feel like I'm missing something.

To get enough points for Brisbane's current first the Tigers need to give up 22, 33 and 40. And even if we assume that the bare minimum is enough to satisfy Brisbane the remaining picks for Richmond only add up to a early 2nd.

Are we assuming someone's giving up a first for Baker to give them this 3rd first rounder?
Yeah, their current picks are not getting them Brisbane's first but I think if they lose Baker for 15ish they can use that to help get Carltons and Brisbanes first and have three good top 20 picks.

To be honest, if I'm Carlton, I'm getting ahead of Campo bids, not behind

Yeah, their current picks are not getting them Brisbane's first but I think if they lose Baker for 15ish they can use that to help get Carltons and Brisbanes first and have three good top 20 picks.

To be honest, if I'm Carlton, I'm getting ahead of Campo bids, not behind
Unless they can trade out players to get decent picks then that will be extremely difficult to get done with their 2024 draft hand 14, 34, 64, 67, 69 that equal to less than 2000 points

They will have to combine 2024 & 2025 1st rounders then they have the problem for scraping enough points for 2 Campo's
with 1 expected to be top 15 and the other around the 20 range. Very tricky situation

Unless they can trade out players to get decent picks then that will be extremely difficult to get done with their 2024 draft hand 14, 34, 64, 67, 69 that equal to less than 2000 points

They will have to combine 2024 & 2025 1st rounders then they have the problem for scraping enough points for 2 Campo's
with 1 expected to be top 15 and the other around the 20 range. Very tricky situation
I dont know, as the system has been pulled apart, it seems getting points ends up being way way too easy. Seemed tricky for Brisbane to pay for Ashcroft 1 and Dunkley but they did it. The points system is cooked, I can't wait for it to be fixed

I dont know, as the system has been pulled apart, it seems getting points ends up being way way too easy. Seemed tricky for Brisbane to pay for Ashcroft 1 and Dunkley but they did it. The points system is cooked, I can't wait for it to be fixed
I think it was way more easier before when a team bids in the 1st or 2nd round you had to pay for it with your next pick in the same round. Its become a rort where teams just accumulate rubbish picks and move their picks into the following year

effectively getting gun players virtually for free

How adventurous will they be?

Could we see Lynch moved?

Considering Richmond's shortage of KPP, especially KPFs, I'd say that was unlikely.

Even if they would look into it, I can't imagine a lot of clubs would be willing to take on his salary, especially considering his injury history.

I suppose Richmond could continue to pay a large chunk of his salary, but for a club that is short of key forwards to pay a key forward to play elsewhere....Well, they'd want a VERY good deal in return....which gets you back to clubs wouldn't be that interested in an injury prone player.

How adventurous will they be?

Could we see Lynch moved?
Only if a team in a flag window decided to gamble on Lynch being the missing piece and gave their first rounder for him. Of the clubs in tha position where Lynch could be that player, Melbourne and Collingwood make the most sense.

So our decision would rest on whether another club is ready to be adventurous, not necessarily us, as it's not really worth it to lose him for a second rounder or less.

We have Baker, Bolton, Rioli as potential currency to trade with the WA clubs and GC as potential suitors, plus a decent amount of points trade options with Brisbane and Carlton the most likely suitors.

If we play this well we can have the best draft hand in the league for this draft and set ourselves up nicely.

I think we lose one of Baker or Bolton, and it's most likely Baker given contract status, let's say that gets us pick 15.

I think there's a massive not spoken enough possibility that Dimma (who adores Rioli) chases him hard and Rioli (who adores Dimma) asks for a trade. GC always have a gluttony of young talent riches and I could see them comfortably overpaying and giving two firsts for Rioli in those circumstances.

Then we come to our late points picks which I believe we could bundle to either Brisbane or GC for another first rounder.

Without being too crazy, Richmond could then be hitting the draft with

Pick 2, Gold Coast R1 (Rioli) Brisbane R1 (Points trade), Freo R1 (Baker) then pick 22 our current R2.

+ GC F1 (Rioli trade)

We also have Freo's second so our first 6 picks could look as a rough guess (before compos and bids)

2, 6, 8, 15, 22, 25.

We really can set up our rebuild this year and next before Tassie come in if the club is switched on and nail this period, a hell of a lot quicker than it would usually take to get that young talent in to add to the current list.

Last edited:
We have Baker, Bolton, Rioli as potential currency to trade with the WA clubs and GC as potential suitors, plus a decent amount of points trade options with Brisbane and Carlton the most likely suitors.

If we play this well we can have the best draft hand in the league for this draft and set ourselves up nicely.

I think we lose one of Baker or Bolton, and it's most likely Baker given contract status, let's say that gets us pick 15.

I think there's a massive not spoken enough possibility that Dimma (who adores Rioli) chases him hard and Rioli (who adores Dimma) asks for a trade. GC always have a gluttony of young talent riches and I could see them comfortably overpaying and giving two firsts for Rioli in those circumstances.

Then we come to our late points picks which I believe we could bundle to either Brisbane or GC for another first rounder.

Without being too crazy, Richmond could then be hitting the draft with

Pick 2, Gold Coast R1 (Rioli) Brisbane R1 (Points trade), Freo R1 (Baker) then pick 22 our current R2.

+ GC F1 (Rioli trade)

We also have Freo's second so our first 6 picks could look as a rough guess (before compos and bids)

2, 6, 8, 15, 22, 25.

We really can set up our rebuild this year and next before Tassie come in if the club is switched on and nail this period, a hell of a lot quicker than it would usually take to get that young talent in to add to the current list.
Agree with most except GC wont trade F1 and most likely trade both their 1st rounders this year instead due to lombard bid this year.

But if the opportunity is there and Baker/Rioli ask for the trade Richmond should 100% consider it provided we get fair value for Baker #10-#15 range and 2x1st rounders for Rioli.
But there doesnt appear to be any interest in Jack graham which is surprising considering the eagles and crows situation

Unpopular opinion but Richmond don’t need much

Well other than a reasonable run with injuries

Richmond have quietly assembled a bevy of young talent , some exposed some not yet exposed

Gibcus
Mchauliff
Campbell
Ralphsmiyh
Brown
Mansell

All excellent players getting better every week

Miller
Sonsie
Sampson
Dow
Ross
Mrj
Cumberland

Then there the youngsters no one knows yet

Bauer
Trezise
Banks
Smith
Green

As well as the core players that will be there on the next 3-5 years

Hopper
Taranto
Rioli
Baker
Balta
Bolton
Short

Add another 3/4 top 30 draft picks this year it’s all good

And that’s assuming all the old guys decline rapidly which they won’t

Unpopular opinion but Richmond don’t need much

Well other than a reasonable run with injuries

Richmond have quietly assembled a bevy of young talent , some exposed some not yet exposed

Gibcus
Mchauliff
Campbell
Ralphsmiyh
Brown
Mansell

Miller
Sonsie
Sampson
Dow
Ross
Mrj
Cumberland

Then there the youngsters no one knows yet

Bauer
Trezise
Banks
Smith
Green

As well as the core players that will be there on the next 3-5 years

Hopper
Taranto
Rioli
Baker
Balta
Bolton
Short

Add another 3/4 top 30 draft picks this year it’s all good

And that’s assuming all the old guys decline rapidly which they won’t
I agree, but everywhere you turn, we are apparently in for a decade of pain and no have talent.

Nail this draft, get players back next year, good run with injury, we could easily play finals. The comp has never been weaker IMO.

Add in a trade and FA or 2, the bounce back is there with a fit squad.

The only missing pieces are the next gen of stars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trade 14 , F3 for 24, 42, F2.
Match one with 24, the other with 34,42.
Something like that is what I think happens.

Gibcus
Mchauliff
Campbell
Ralphsmiyh
Brown
Mansell

Miller
Sonsie
Sampson
Dow
Ross
Mrj
Cumberland

Yikes.

I am not sure which of the two lists you are suggesting are "excellent players", but regardless of whether it is top or bottom, you have set the bar very low.

Ok, I’ll play for a while before it gets too much for you.

Which of the two lists do you think is full of “excellent players”?

When you say

Gets too much for you .

Do you mean before I add you to my ignore list ?

Because if your weren’t a mod you would already be a gold member

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Richmond 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back