Richmond to make the 8

Remove this Banner Ad

You know, I actually feel sorry for Terry Wallace. Its not great sympathy I feel, but the guy is on a hiding for nothing.

I have bagged him over the past three years, but what we have seen in R's 1 - 3 is a problem not with the coach (on his own), but mostly the players. Players like Tambling, Brown, Schulze, Simmons, Deledio etc are on big pay packets, and yet they play like keystone cops. They know they will receive their huge pay packets regardless of performance on the field. And they know it will be Wallace who cops the brunt of media scrutiny.

Some will argue it is up to the coach to rev the players up, but it gets to a point where the players have to stand up, a la Geelong in 2007. Richo is setting an example and almost always has done so at Richmond.

The administration at Richmond needs to execute a wholesale clean-out at the end of 2009 - from top to bottom.

The worst thing i think for Richmond is that I think Melbourne is on the better/righter track for longer/more sustainable long term success then Richmond.
THe kids they have blooded in the past 2/3 years, most of whom look very excited and look set to have long careers ahead of them, it's the players in the 25 - 30 age bracket that the Dees lack, which is why they don't win games, but once they get 50 games into the likes of Buckley, Garland and Morton, they will have a solid base for rapid improvement.
The over reliance on older players like Johnson, Richo and Nathan Brown is very worrying for Richmond , and too many wasted early/mid range draft picks like JON, Tambling, Schultz, Danny Meyer has really set the Tigers back IMHO

The over reliance on older players like Johnson, Richo and Nathan Brown is very worrying for Richmond , and too many wasted early/mid range draft picks like JON, Tambling, Schultz, Danny Meyer has really set the Tigers back IMHO

Apart from Richo and Brown, we don't rely on our older guys.

last year we beat hawthorn round 20 I think it was our best win of the year granted hawthorn didnt play at their absolute best but we still played very well.

this is that winning team

RICHMOND
B: Richard Tambling, Will Thursfield, Chris Newman
HB: Jordan McMahon, Luke McGuane, Kelvin Moore
C: Matthew Richardson, Shane Tuck, Brett Deledio
HF: Trent Cotchin, Jay Schulz, Joel Bowden
F: Matthew White, Jack Riewoldt, Shane Edwards
Foll: Troy Simmonds, Kane Johnson, Nathan Foley
Int (from): Daniel Connors, Tristan Cartledge, Mitch Morton, Daniel Jackson

note Jake King wasnt playing and therefore unable to gift the oppoising team his standard 3-8 goals. gay hair brown also sat this game out.
Polo was named as an emergency but i seem to remember him playing - not sure who he came in for?

amazing what a couple of young and old players can do and a bit of confidence.... :rolleyes:

on the proviso they get their midfield back..

Johnson & the 4 C's - Cotchin, Couglan, Cousins and Connors.

Yes everyone loves bashing Richmond but when are these so called media experts going to actually spend some time analysing why they are just off the mark at the minute.

Its not that hard to see why.

The 5 guys above are their best midfielders....yes that's right so instead of rubbishing them and saying they are no good realise that losses to your best players in the middle results in losses of games of football....it aint that hard to understand.

Throw that 5 in with the current mix of mids and they will win more games then they lose, not to mention afew others they currently have out.

The Hawks have only one 1 more game then them and they struggled against Geelong and Sydney aswell without there full list of players.

How would the mighty blues go with their best 5 mids out of the game or any other Team for that matter.

Some of them may not be big names but they are their BEST. Once in the side they will release ''öther'' players to play other roles within the team.

The headlines of some of the papers tomorrow are pathetic to say the least...AXe to fall , bla bla bla .....just pathetic.

Do some research you pidgeons and WAKE UP.
Are you being an idiot by accident or just on purpose?

well surely "thats deliberate."

last year we beat hawthorn round 20 I think it was our best win of the year granted hawthorn didnt play at their absolute best but we still played very well.

this is that winning team

RICHMOND
B: Richard Tambling, Will Thursfield, Chris Newman
HB: Jordan McMahon, Luke McGuane, Kelvin Moore
C: Matthew Richardson, Shane Tuck, Brett Deledio
HF: Trent Cotchin, Jay Schulz, Joel Bowden
F: Matthew White, Jack Riewoldt, Shane Edwards
Foll: Troy Simmonds, Kane Johnson, Nathan Foley
Int (from): Daniel Connors, Tristan Cartledge, Mitch Morton, Daniel Jackson

note Jake King wasnt playing and therefore unable to gift the oppoising team his standard 3-8 goals. gay hair brown also sat this game out.
Polo was named as an emergency but i seem to remember him playing - not sure who he came in for?

amazing what a couple of young and old players can do and a bit of confidence.... :rolleyes:

Saying that the Hawks weren't at their "absolute best" is an understatement. I was at that game and the Hawks were definitely thinking about their first final against the Bulldogs rather than the game at hand.

Regardless of that, it is the lack of intensity from the Richmond team that is the biggest worry I think. They are making lots of mistakes but intensity can make up for a lot of that. Richmond are making mistakes and not going in hard to try to redeem themselves.

Richmond fans set themselves up for a massive fall this year by believing the hype that Cousins would lead them to some glory.

Bottom 3 along with Melbourne and Fremantle. :( The list is just not good enough and once Richo has gone, what then ?

Yes everyone loves bashing Richmond but when are these so called media experts going to actually spend some time analysing why they are just off the mark at the minute.

The 5 guys above are their best midfielders....yes that's right so instead of rubbishing them and saying they are no good realise that losses to your best players in the middle results in losses of games of football....it aint that hard to understand.

quote]
Jeez I reckon Foley and Deledio might be better than 4 of those 5 with a fit cotchin.
I think the hysteria is mainly due to the fact Richmond still butcher the ball the same way they have for all of Wallace's reign and for some time before that.

Listening to 3aw yesterday made me sick.Hearing Dennis Pagan stick up for Wallace saying simple he hasnt got the cattle which is is crap.This is why

-Given a 5 yr contract to rebuild the list and team and improve skills and kicking and to at least play finals in last year. He has failed simple.

- Most high to med draft picks we draft show something but they just dont improve like the other teams do.

Example Edwards, when he first played we we all saying, wow this kid has something, he had skills and was smooth. We thught that a couple of preseasons and some gym work and we would have a player but no we dont. You could pick at least half a dozen like that in out team.

really. i could have sworn i have read many a post from tiger fans saying how much better they will be once johnson and cousins amongst others are back in the side. both are the wrong side of 30.

Don't think any Tiger fan would be talking up the return of Johnson, most want his head.

Only the deluded Tiger fans believe Cousins will make a great difference.

He'll certainly help, but he really will be just a handy depth midfielder.

On second thoughts even their supporters have no idea so why blame the media.

Johnson - Is your number 1 stopper - run with player who gets his own pill, hard at it.

Cousins - well he's just Cousins a proven ball magnet.

Coughlan - your hardest and toughest midfielder.

Cotchin - Your best midfielder even though he has played 1 game.

Connors - Your best in and out midfielder, Hard at it as well and top 5 at the club by foot.

They are your starting 5 given they are fit.

Delidio, Foley, Tuck & Tambling get a gig there now because the above 5 arn't there.

Cotchin, Coughlan & Cousins are your starting 3 midfielders, like it or not.

Johnson is your 4th and then you start looking at players like Tuck, Foley Connors, Tambling and co.

I lol'd :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saying that the Hawks weren't at their "absolute best" is an understatement. I was at that game and the Hawks were definitely thinking about their first final against the Bulldogs rather than the game at hand.

Regardless of that, it is the lack of intensity from the Richmond team that is the biggest worry I think. They are making lots of mistakes but intensity can make up for a lot of that. Richmond are making mistakes and not going in hard to try to redeem themselves.

This is a problem for many teams, Collingwood comes to mind also. They simply aren't talented enough to win games by 'coasting' through them. Richmond played very, very well against Geelong. I was there, Richmond didn't turn the ball over much... just played good tough footy that probably would have beaten any other side in the league on that day. That isn't good enough... It shouldn't require a Geelong/Hawthorn for them to come out and play, the supporters expect much more than that.

At least freo is getting a free ride for being so crap. Richmond hogging the press. :)

Listening to 3aw yesterday made me sick.Hearing Dennis Pagan stick up for Wallace saying simple he hasnt got the cattle which is is crap.This is why

-Given a 5 yr contract to rebuild the list and team and improve skills and kicking and to at least play finals in last year. He has failed simple.

- Most high to med draft picks we draft show something but they just dont improve like the other teams do.

Example Edwards, when he first played we we all saying, wow this kid has something, he had skills and was smooth. We thught that a couple of preseasons and some gym work and we would have a player but no we dont. You could pick at least half a dozen like that in out team.

Us Carlton folk learned long ago that Den Den is a bit senile. Don't listen to him.

Throw that 5 in with the current mix of mids and they will win more games then they lose, not to mention afew others they currently have out.

The Hawks have only one 1 more game then them and they struggled against Geelong and Sydney aswell without there full list of players.

How would the mighty blues go with their best 5 mids out of the game or any other Team for that matter.

Some of them may not be big names but they are their BEST. Once in the side they will release ''öther'' players to play other roles within the team.

The headlines of some of the papers tomorrow are pathetic to say the least...AXe to fall , bla bla bla .....just pathetic.

AS a lifelong Richmond supporter and avid follower, this has to be perhaps the most deluded post I have ever read.

We will be lucky to win another game..Jake King has been in the side. I repeat, Jake king has been in the side.
Connors doesn't play midfield and has played 8 AFL games, so I hope we aren't waiting for him to come back.

coghlan hasn't played since 1987, so I hope we aren't relying on him.

Morale is shot, there is no faith in the coach and guys keep getting a game who never play well( refer Tambling).

Did you all know he has never been dropped? Can you believe that?

Have you ever seen a more disinterested aFL footballer in your life?

We will finish last.

AS a lifelong Richmond supporter and avid follower, this has to be perhaps the most deluded post I have ever read.

We will be lucky to win another game..Jake King has been in the side. I repeat, Jake king has been in the side.
Connors doesn't play midfield and has played 8 AFL games, so I hope we aren't waiting for him to come back.

coghlan hasn't played since 1987, so I hope we aren't relying on him.

Morale is shot, there is no faith in the coach and guys keep getting a game who never play well( refer Tambling).

Did you all know he has never been dropped? Can you believe that?

Have you ever seen a more disinterested aFL footballer in your life?

We will finish last.

I am very much hopying that you do finish last because i cant stand your club.:p

But .....as an avid football follower and an astute judge of talent Richmond have the 5th best list in the comp.:eek:

Solid Backline with plenty of run, plenty of runners to go through the middle and quick and getting the above 5 mentioned players in will only add to it and a strong forward line.

Regardless of where anyone rates them taking 5 of any teams midfield out will have a significant impact on your win loss record and again they arn't the only teams that will lose to Geelong and the Bulldogs this year.

Jake King wouldn't get a game if the above players were available, Thursfield, Raines, MacMahon the above 5 are all in your best 22. That's at least 8 out of your best 22 missing....pretty significant i would have thought. I doubt many teams would beat Geelong or the Doggies with 8 out of their best 22 missing.

and in closing and just for the record i hope you don't win another game this year:p

Great OP mate.

A hawk fan with some brains.

WE were asleep R1 but lost 2 games against great opposition.

Let's see where we are after the next 7 games before Vanda pulls out his circus act again.

And remember the HUN hate Richmond with an absolute passion,always have always will so anything bad about Richmond will be exagerated by 10.

Cmon Tiges lift.

EVERYONE TURN UP TO SEE COGS FIRE AGAIN!!!

It's going to be tough after starting 0-3.

You'd have hope if they showed some good signs in their losses, but the way the team has played has been indicative of bottom 4 in my opinion. Unfortunate for fans and richo.

The worst thing i think for Richmond is that I think Melbourne is on the better/righter track for longer/more sustainable long term success then Richmond.
THe kids they have blooded in the past 2/3 years, most of whom look very excited and look set to have long careers ahead of them, it's the players in the 25 - 30 age bracket that the Dees lack, which is why they don't win games, but once they get 50 games into the likes of Buckley, Garland and Morton, they will have a solid base for rapid improvement.
So you gonna support them when Carlton go arse up?

BTW I think the OP is on the right track, it is not neciserrily that we are undermanned or are missing these key players, but what the bringing back of these other good players would do is relieve the pressure on the players like Tuck, Foley and Deledio who are carrying a lot of the workload at the moment, and we are having to use players either out of position(Hislop, Edwards, Tambling) or players who aren't ready yet(Edwards) to try and take the pressure off them and it isn't working.

While I am not sure of where we will finish, I do think we can still turn the season around, I won't accept excuses though and if the boys aren't giving 100% like the Cho when they run out then it's inexcusable and something has to be done, where it starts is the thing that has to be found out.

I am very much hopying that you do finish last because i cant stand your club.:p

But .....as an avid football follower and an astute judge of talent Richmond have the 5th best list in the comp.:eek:

Solid Backline with plenty of run, plenty of runners to go through the middle and quick and getting the above 5 mentioned players in will only add to it and a strong forward line.

Regardless of where anyone rates them taking 5 of any teams midfield out will have a significant impact on your win loss record and again they arn't the only teams that will lose to Geelong and the Bulldogs this year.

Jake King wouldn't get a game if the above players were available, Thursfield, Raines, MacMahon the above 5 are all in your best 22. That's at least 8 out of your best 22 missing....pretty significant i would have thought. I doubt many teams would beat Geelong or the Doggies with 8 out of their best 22 missing.

and in closing and just for the record i hope you don't win another game this year:p

Obviously struggling the understand the concept of Daniel Conners not being a midfielder and having only played 8 aFL games.

You have included him in your magical five saviours.
I have said it again as it appears you didn't read it the first time.

LOL @ Richmond having the 5th best list in the comp, I think the first month of footy has shown that Richmond haven't even got a list capable of being in the top 8 ..

Where is this 'strong' foward line that you speak of, clearly the likes of Schultz, Hughes, etc are just not up to it ..
And I honestly doubt that the loss of Mcmahon or Raines or Thursfield would have made an difference at all against the Bulldogs.

You are either taking the urine, or you are 'far' from an 'astute' judge of talent.

LOL @ Richmond having the 5th best list in the comp, I think the first month of footy has shown that Richmond haven't even got a list capable of being in the top 8 ..

Where is this 'strong' foward line that you speak of, clearly the likes of Schultz, Hughes, etc are just not up to it ..
And I honestly doubt that the loss of Mcmahon or Raines or Thursfield would have made an difference at all against the Bulldogs.

You are either taking the urine, or you are 'far' from an 'astute' judge of talent.

:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond to make the 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back