Richmond to take Cousins

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
which as you should know, could be lifelong... if so,(touch wood), what is it then?
He may or may not make a full recovery. When it is determined that he cannot play again, then the situation should be revisited at that time.
definitive diagnosis cannot be made for another 6 months at least
Right. Richmond should have done this prior to the National Draft because it was unlikely that he was ever going to play in 2009, and that is why it won't be permitted. Nor should it be.
So if Polak gets hit by another tram (or maybe a bus) you'd be okay with it then?
No, I think that placing him on the long-term injury list for this season only is enough. If the diagnosis at that time is still unclear then special circumstances could be given at the end of next season.
If your from the US then how can you know so much about Australian News? or better yet AFL?
Who said I am from the US? :confused:
Irrelevant. You don't work in a nursing home.
People must only work in nursing homes to understand head injuries? Is that what you're trying to say? If so, then this topic may be out of your league.

He derves another chance

He committed victimless crimes. Sheesh, you'd swear he'd really hurt someone!

He has been harshly treated and I hope we pick him up.

Regarding Polak, I am OK with the club's request IF they can show that diagmosis has only just become available that suggests he will be long term injured.

Polak is being supported by us, so good on us. The AFL should agree to allow us to rookie list Polak, on compassionate grounds. Comparisons with Croad, Egan or Maguire are just stupid. This is serious, the others have a limp.

Cousins deserves a chance. He is a champion of the game and for him to be lost to it at 30 would be terrible. Never tested positive, a victim of his own high profile and put his hand up. This could be a sensational turnaround story

Cut the crap everyone.

Life isn't black and white and neither is this situation.

There is no doubt in my mind that Richmond have identified a potential advantage in securing an extra pick in the PSD and the timing of this application suggests this. However, there I am equally sure in saying that there was (and is) something critical and abnormal about the Polak case.

Stop pretending like there is a right answer - it's a combination of one and the other. Richmond is not innocent and 'protecting' Polak but you can hardly condemn the club for making a valid application.

And btw, comparing life-threatening situations/diseases is wrong on many different levels. To contend that Polak wasn't 'as sick' as Rama and seemingly drawing up a list of pros and cons of each condition is just bizarre.

Pull your head out.

What's happened to you RT? Wouldn't raise an eyebrow?

An extra pick in the PSD and the mature age rookie-ing of a bloke involved in one of the worst moments of AFL 2008 is something that would gain attention - and clubs would remain as discontented as they appear to be now.

Notice the percentage of people running around here with a pro-Cousins agenda? Everyone wants to see him back, some don't like the rule-bending we're doing, but everyone seems to favour a second crack. There would be far more people kicking and screaming should the Cousins factor be absent from this little affair.

Top post hougie. :thumbsu:

Impartial about this. Good player, but it is a massive risk. Plus he is 30 something years old.

Massive Risk???

Realisitically... Where would Polak fit in the side this year? I think our Backline is young but growing every so resilient. We have Alex Rance who will play this year, I think it may be a severe lack of chance for Polak anyway. It's sad to hear he is not up to the fitness levels required by AFL players nowadays, I hope in time he does get his full health back, but if he can't play we would surely be approved to put him on the mature list and be granted a second selection in the PSD.

McGuire, well, he can put his 2 bob worth anywhere because his opinion won't have an effect on the outcome. What a naive call to state they won't support it. Maybe McGuire should look in his own paddock first, he had the chance to draft Cousins, they chose to overlook it, and now want to try object to another club having their chance. Why? because they KNOW he'll make a huge difference to a side.....

Massive risk, I think not. PSD gives us the power to give him a year by year contract, plus I expect there will be clauses to protect us from liability shold it full foul, which we hope not. I think someone suggested if he relapsed then both player and club would face sanctions, completely untrue. I think you'll find that give the amount of media interest in this procession, full liability would fall on the player.

I think its a bold move, but a good one. Secondpick in the preseason draft, go for it! How have our previous PSD Players performed???? And I suspect there has been no one of the calibre that is Ben Cousins.....

I hope it happens. Klemke at No. 6, Cousins No.7 (Given AFL approval....)

Pull your head out.

What's happened to you RT? Wouldn't raise an eyebrow?

An extra pick in the PSD and the mature age rookie-ing of a bloke involved in one of the worst moments of AFL 2008 is something that would gain attention - and clubs would remain as discontented as they appear to be now.

Notice the percentage of people running around here with a pro-Cousins agenda? Everyone wants to see him back, some don't like the rule-bending we're doing, but everyone seems to favour a second crack. There would be far more people kicking and screaming should the Cousins factor be absent from this little affair.
Do you really think Eddie would give a fats rats clacker if we were going to pick up a kid like Klemke or redraft Gourdis? Of course he wouldn't, but because we may pick up one of the best midfielders in the last decade he is on the radio within the hour beating his chest saying the Pies will not be voting for it.

I also have no doubt in my mind that if it were the Pies who were making the application he would have been on the radio stating the clubs case as to why they should be given the opportunity to give Cousins a second chance stating that they have his best interests at heart. However because of the advice of Comissioner Nixon they dropped Cousins like a hot potato when they had all but agreed to take him.

Finally, as far as I know Richmonds position is still the same it was in the paper last weekend where Cameron came out and stated catergorically that we weren't going to take Cousins in the PSD.

When I first heard this I thought Richmond were pulling a swifty by pretending to be interested in Cousins, thus maybe forcing another club to waste a pick on him instead ... but then I thought, "no, Wallace isn't that clever, he really would be stupid enough to pick up Cousins".

Richmond, this is why you've gone nowhere under Wallace's coaching term, and why your "years without a premiership" will continue for many years to come.

Come on pal. Can't you see that most people who love footy just want to see the best on the park and blokes who need it get a second chance.

Sounds like someone is scared the Tigers are coming. Wonder who beat you last. That's right the Tigers by 5 goals due to superior coaching and team comittment. Honestly I thought that your blokes did well and were happy for you when you won but here you are just being petty.

Enjoy your success and let a bloke and a team have something to aim for.

Can any poster from an opposition club say that they wouldn't want to see their club use the same rules if it happened to one of their players?

Richmond should have applied BEFORE the final list cut-off. If Richmond had applied in due time then most clubs would be interested in lending a symathetic ear. But the eleventh hour timing attracts attention to Richmonds true motives.

The Ramanaskus ruse Essendon pulled was for one reason and one reason only - so they could create a spot for Mal Michael who conveniently "retired" and had his contract paid out - and then made a comeback a week or so later. A lot of clubs have a bad taste in their mouths about that.

Sheedy is trying exactly the same trick now that he pulled a few years back.

Massive Risk???

Realisitically... Where would Polak fit in the side this year? I think our Backline is young but growing every so resilient. We have Alex Rance who will play this year, I think it may be a severe lack of chance for Polak anyway. It's sad to hear he is not up to the fitness levels required by AFL players nowadays, I hope in time he does get his full health back, but if he can't play we would surely be approved to put him on the mature list and be granted a second selection in the PSD.

McGuire, well, he can put his 2 bob worth anywhere because his opinion won't have an effect on the outcome. What a naive call to state they won't support it. Maybe McGuire should look in his own paddock first, he had the chance to draft Cousins, they chose to overlook it, and now want to try object to another club having their chance. Why? because they KNOW he'll make a huge difference to a side.....

Massive risk, I think not. PSD gives us the power to give him a year by year contract, plus I expect there will be clauses to protect us from liability shold it full foul, which we hope not. I think someone suggested if he relapsed then both player and club would face sanctions, completely untrue. I think you'll find that give the amount of media interest in this procession, full liability would fall on the player.

I think its a bold move, but a good one. Secondpick in the preseason draft, go for it! How have our previous PSD Players performed???? And I suspect there has been no one of the calibre that is Ben Cousins.....

I hope it happens. Klemke at No. 6, Cousins No.7 (Given AFL approval....)

It is a risk, because of his well documented situation. What if he is tested posivitely tested during the season? Or he has lost all form and struggles to make an impact because of his extended period out of the game? Not only would a valuable pick be wasted but Wallace and the RFC would all of a sudden become more insecure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The science world's word for 'obscure and insignificant'.
What was that supposed to mean? If you happen to be discussing me instead of the topic, then please don't. My job is neither obscure or insignificant.
No, only to have some compassion.
Compassion? What are you on about? I have compassion for all players that have been hurt either on or off the footy field. The continuing injury to Matthew Egan is terrible. The recurring shoulder injuries to Sean Rusling have been unfortunate. The situation with Graham Polak is too, etc, etc, etc. What does compassion have to do with this?

Richmond should have applied BEFORE the final list cut-off.
Perhaps the club hadn't got the latest update on Polaks condition before this week. Word floating around on other fan sites is he is suffering complications that he hadn't been suffereing from. Maybe that is why the club has made the application today instead of jumping the gun a few weeks ago.

There really are some moronic comments on here from people who obviously have no idea about the draft situation. If Richmond are granted the Rama rule for Polak then they get an extra senior player pick to replace him and that will be pick 7 and as they already have pick 6 it doesn't really matter which one they use.

Firstly I agree with the Polak dispensation.
Secondly it would seem an ideal situation under which to draft Cousins as would not really be going against a youth policy - temporarily replacing a mature age player with a mature age player. One year contract with an option to extend.
Thridly I would love to see Cuz play again - even for the Tiges.

BUT if they didn't pick him what would that then indicate - surely it would confirm why the other clubs really didn't take him ie that he isn't really over the drugs or has other as yet undocumented issues and would be too much of a risk to the playing group (lets assume his hammy is not the issue).

What was that supposed to mean? If you happen to be discussing me instead of the topic, then please don't. My job is neither obscure or insignificant.Compassion? What are you on about? I have compassion for all players that have been hurt either on or off the footy field. The continuing injury to Matthew Egan is terrible. The recurring shoulder injuries to Sean Rusling have been unfortunate. The situation with Graham Polak is too, etc, etc, etc. What does compassion have to do with this?

Having a relative in care with head trauma I find you dismissing 'disability' and claiming 'injury' as distasteful.
And knowing this will go on for at least another 30 pages with you involved, I think we'll call it quits eh?

He derves another chance

He committed victimless crimes. Sheesh, you'd swear he'd really hurt someone!

He has been harshly treated and I hope we pick him up.

Regarding Polak, I am OK with the club's request IF they can show that diagmosis has only just become available that suggests he will be long term injured.

Polak is being supported by us, so good on us. The AFL should agree to allow us to rookie list Polak, on compassionate grounds. Comparisons with Croad, Egan or Maguire are just stupid. This is serious, the others have a limp.
Cousins deserves a chance. He is a champion of the game and for him to be lost to it at 30 would be terrible. Never tested positive, a victim of his own high profile and put his hand up. This could be a sensational turnaround story

:D

And here's the Richmond supporters calling for compassion!

Egan will probably never play again. What has Polak lost that Egan hasn't?
Dont guess, give us facts!

As far as I'm concerned, the long term injury list covers situations like this. If thats not good enough for richmond, they're getting greedy.

I am sure that if the new sponsor for the tigers is a Pharmaceutical Co, then they wouldn't have any objection to Cousins going to the club..;)
That would be very interesting..And having Cousins AND Polack at the same club would also be VERY interesting, if you get my drift!!!:)
All this love for these two players is quite extraordinary, especially with their backgrounds!!Good luck Tigers...you are going to need it...:rolleyes:

Perhaps the club hadn't got the latest update on Polaks condition before this week. Word floating around on other fan sites is he is suffering complications that he hadn't been suffereing from.

Perhaps, but I doubt it. The club didnt mention anything like that in its official statement. I doubt anything has changed in Polak's condition the past month.

The only thing that has changed is Cousin's availability.

The continuing injury to Matthew Egan is terrible. The recurring shoulder injuries to Sean Rusling have been unfortunate. The situation with Graham Polak is too, etc, etc, etc. What does compassion have to do with this?

Rusling had a sore shoulder, Egan and Maguire limp. Big deal.

This is serious. Dispensation justified IF Richmond can show they only had further diagnosis very recently, and after the ND

Whilst i dont want to sledge Egan or anything while hes injured, and he has the greatest sympathy from me, Egan's prolonged injury is PARTLY his own fault because he tried to be fit in time for the Grand Final, and didnt take the recovery option carefully. Its worth noting that you and I and probably 99% of the footballing world would do the same thing, but its unfortunate.

but you could claim Polak's prolonged injury is PARTLY,actually more like TOTALLY,his own fault.

I don't think Polak should be allowed to be moved to the Rookie List.Richmond could've done what Geelong did with Tom Lonergan - delist him and then redraft him*
Richmond could then redraft Polak next November if he's recovered enough.It's highly unlikely any other club would take the risk with him.

* Lonergan was redrafted as a Rookie as he was still eligible for the list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back