Richmond to take Cousins

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any poster from an opposition club say that they wouldn't want to see their club use the same rules if it happened to one of their players?

Its hard to know whether all the hype is true - being like the fourth time this has happened (pies/saints/brisb now richmond), but if it is true i think its great. I think ben needs to play footy and i think a team will benefit not only from his skill but also his ability to maybe assist in developing the youth of the club.

I think polak should be granted mature age rookie status, as i think (as per rama) an injury or restriction to playing/training caused by external forces, not of the persons control should not have to disadvantage a club - i think that a new rule should be brought in during the year to make circumstances surround polak/rama clearer.

:D

What a load of nonsense.
If Polak is finished, delist him.
Plenty of kids got delisted off AFL lists a couple of months ago. No doubt most of them are devastated. At least polak had the opportunity to play at the highest level. He deserves our sympathy if he may never play again but so does Matthew Egan.
Do geelong deserve the same opportunity?

Its a case of Richmond trying to gain an unfair advantage. They can get stuffed as far as I'm concerned.

No deal!!!!

No-one said it was an unfair disadvantage when Rama was put on the rookie list because of cancer. Why is Polak any different?? Sounds more like sour grapes to me...you wish Cousins had gone to Carlton, but now he hasn't you don't want him to go anywhere??

I don't rate Cousins much as a bloke, but as a footballer everyone knows how good he was and hopefully still is. If he can get his shit together then why not?

I can't believe so many people are rubbishing Polaks injuries and condition.
I can't believe so many people are saying it's nothing compared to the horrific illness Rama had to endure.

Graham Polak was hit by a tram. He didn't hurt his foot at training. He didn't break his leg during a game. He was hit by a moving tram. He nearly died. He was placed in an induced coma to keep him alive.

For christs sake people .. have a heart. How his situation any different to Rama's?

If you don't want Cousins at Richmond or playing again - that's your opinion. But just don't take it out on Polak.

Handy player to come off the bench.....

He's a superstar. I cannot belive others have passed on him (there must obviously be some good reasons).

Yes it could blow up but if he stuffs up then he's out the door in 5 minutes.

In the meantime, we suddenly have the most watched jumper of the year...

Isn't that exactly what Essendon did with Ramanauskas? There was no reason why they couldn't put him on the LTI list either.

1 difference people seem to be overlooking is that Rama developed cancer in 2003. It came back again in 2005 & he was having his 3rd round of Chemo in late 2006 (while already on the LTI) when the club applied for the special consideration for the 2007 season. Basically without this the club would have been forced to delist him & would not have been able to assist him with his medical expenses & he would have had no opportunity to work towards a comeback later that year. Remember that despite some here saying it was just a rort Rama didn't play again till July 2007. Its not like we went to the AFL at the 1st sign of him missing some games.

Can any poster from an opposition club say that they wouldn't want to see their club use the same rules if it happened to one of their players?
What rules? There aren't any rules for what Richmond is asking for. All clubs should be equal of course, and if a player is injured, then he should be placed on a long-term injury list and replaced with a rookie. He should not be replaced with a bonus extra draft pick of course. If Richmond choose to delist Polak, then they should have an extra draft pick then, and only then.
Would this be your response if it was the Pies who were making the application?
What do you mean? No club should be allowed to place an injured player on a mature age rookie list so they can gain an extra pick in a draft. Clubs should place injured players on a long-term injury list and promote a rookie of course.
They didn't seem to realise it when they voted unanimously to allow Essendon to put Rama on the rookie list.
According to Eddie McGuire it was voted unanimously as a one-off situation because the cancer returned. I doubt very much that this will be unanimous because the Polak situation is different to Ramanauskas' cancer returning. The two situations are entirely different.
If Richmond don't have room on their senior list for Graham Polak they should delist him. They won't obviously, but that doesn't mean they should have the rules change to cater to them.
This is spot on and surely it won't be allowed.
If you don't want Cousins at Richmond or playing again - that's your opinion. But just don't take it out on Polak.
It has nothing to do with Cousins. Graham Polak suffered an injury. This is not a case of recurring cancer as with Ramanauskas. Clubs should not be allowed to have a bonus draft pick by placing an injured player on a mature age rookie list.

What a load of nonsense.
Plenty of kids got delisted off AFL lists a couple of months ago. No doubt most of them are devastated. At least polak had the opportunity to play at the highest level. He deserves our sympathy if he may never play again but so does Matthew Egan.

Its a case of Richmond trying to gain an unfair advantage. They can get stuffed as far as I'm concerned.

No deal!!!!

Really good point Shagger.

...basically without this the club would have been forced to delist him & would not have been able to assist him with his medical expenses & he would have had no opportunity to work towards a comeback later that year..

Could apply to both Rama and Polak.

What do you mean? No club should be allowed to place an injured player on a mature age rookie list so they can gain an extra pick in a draft. Clubs should place injured players on a long-term injury list and promote a rookie of course.
According to Eddie McGuire it was voted unanimously as a one-off situation because the cancer returned. I doubt very much that this will be unanimous because the Polak situation is different to Ramanauskas' cancer returning. The two situations are entirely different.This is spot on and surely it won't be allowed.

Then why didn't the clubs deny Rama going on as a mature age Rookie and just say "just put him on the long term injury list" as you are suggesting if the cancer returned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What rules? There aren't any rules for what Richmond is asking for. All clubs should be equal of course, and if a player is injured, then he should be placed on a long-term injury list and replaced with a rookie. He should not be replaced with a bonus extra draft pick of course. If Richmond choose to delist Polak, then they should have an extra draft pick then, and only then.

we heard you the first 15 times

that is beside the point.

of course people from their club would like to do something that benefits their own club.

but this isn't about looking after Polak, its about gaining an extra pick.

i am 100% for Cousin's returning to AFL football, really glad he may have an option to return.

Its just the way Richmond is gaining an extra pick out of it, that I'm not too sure about it. If it wasn't for Cousins, I'm sure you would be seeing a lot more negativity than you already are from everyone.

we cant and we SHOULDNT delist Polak until we know for certain he will not be able to play again.

when will you ppl realise head trauma is a constantly re-evaluated diagnosis. We won't know for sure until mid next year if his brain will heal sufficiently for him to play AFL again. To chop him now would be inhumane and I would not renew my membership if the club acted this way. Its a business but clubs are also there to offer support and care.

shame on some of you

What a load of nonsense.

No deal!!!!

Whilst i dont want to sledge Egan or anything while hes injured, and he has the greatest sympathy from me, Egan's prolonged injury is PARTLY his own fault because he tried to be fit in time for the Grand Final, and didnt take the recovery option carefully. Its worth noting that you and I and probably 99% of the footballing world would do the same thing, but its unfortunate.

Back on topic, Egan didnt get hit by a tram, his injury isnt brain or mental related. Polak's situation is for the most part, unique.

Also, picking up Cousins will be helping the AFL as much as us. Imagine for a second, if Cousins dosent get picked up, after Collingwood, St Kilda and the Brisbane Lions were all heavily interested? He would probably be involved in heavy legal action for loss of income, etc. All attention that the AFL dosent want or need, especially in a time like this (financial crisis).

I think its very likely that the AFL has scratched our back in exchange for scratching theirs. Being allowed to put Polak on the rookie list, behind a whole bunch of legal jargon, and in exchange we give Cousins a home when he would in other circumstances, wouldnt get one. :thumbsu:

If it was a Pies player who had suffered a serious brain injury and was trying to get back to football, I'm sure that Pies supporters would be wanting the club to do whatever they could to give themselves every chance.
According to Eddie McGuire it was voted unanimously as a one-off situation because the cancer returned. I doubt very much that this will be unanimous because the Polak situation is different to Ramanauskas' cancer returning. The two situations are entirely different.
Not that different at all, IIRC in Ramanauskas' situation it was stated that he may never play again but they wanted to give him something to aim for during his recovery. Polak is in the same situation, while the club hopes he can play again there is every chance he wont, but instead of just casting him aside, they want to give him something to aim at to help his recovery.

Not only that but just like Ramanauskas' cancer, Polaks injury is not as a result of football, it was a freak accident outside of football.

It seems that Eddie has said the Pies wont be voting for it because Cousins might be the player we pick up. I wonder if Eddie's opinion would be different though if Richmond were to come out and say they still wont be taking Cousins but will instead be using the pick on another young 18-19 year old kid?

What rules? There aren't any rules for what Richmond is asking for. All clubs should be equal of course, and if a player is injured, then he should be placed on a long-term injury list and replaced with a rookie. He should not be replaced with a bonus extra draft pick of course. If Richmond choose to delist Polak, then they should have an extra draft pick then, and only then.It has nothing to do with Cousins. Graham Polak suffered an injury. This is not a case of recurring cancer as with Ramanauskas. Clubs should not be allowed to have a bonus draft pick by placing an injured player on a mature age rookie list.

So according to you, you have to have Cancer for this to happen.

No-one said it was an unfair disadvantage when Rama was put on the rookie list because of cancer. Why is Polak any different?? Sounds more like sour grapes to me...you wish Cousins had gone to Carlton, but now he hasn't you don't want him to go anywhere??

I don't rate Cousins much as a bloke, but as a footballer everyone knows how good he was and hopefully still is. If he can get his shit together then why not?

I wish Cousins went to Carlton do I?
Stick to what you actually know champ (which appears to be little)
I dont want Cousins anywhere near Carlton. I couldn't give a fat rats about him.

As for Polak, I feel for him but how is he different to Mathew Egan? Both have had the opportunity to play the game cruelly taken from them. Should Geelong get an extra pick?
What about Matt Maguire. Things are looking grim for him. Should we give the Saints an extra pick too?

that is beside the point.

of course people from their club would like to do something that benefits their own club.

but this isn't about looking after Polak, its about gaining an extra pick.

i am 100% for Cousin's returning to AFL football, really glad he may have an option to return.

Its just the way Richmond is gaining an extra pick out of it, that I'm not too sure about it. If it wasn't for Cousins, I'm sure you would be seeing a lot more negativity than you already are from everyone.

I am not sure of the rules. But if Polak does get taken as a mature aged rookie then does that count as spot on the Rookie list? If so, then would that mean that Richmond can only use six picks instead of seven in the Rookie draft? If so then technically Richmond is not gaining an extra pick because they lose a pick in the Rookie draft.

I can't believe so many people are rubbishing Polaks injuries and condition.
I can't believe so many people are saying it's nothing compared to the horrific illness Rama had to endure.

Graham Polak was hit by a tram. He didn't hurt his foot at training. He didn't break his leg during a game. He was hit by a moving tram. He nearly died. He was placed in an induced coma to keep him alive.

For christs sake people .. have a heart. How his situation any different to Rama's?

While I don't want in anyway to downplay Polak's injuries, Rama wasn't drunk (or under any other influence) one day & foolishly jumped into a pool of contagious cancer. Polak's injuries, while very severe & very serious were the result of his own negligence. Thats a very big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back