Autopsy Richmond v Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone who thinks umpires don't affect the result should watch your game as a study. Utterly appalling. Turned it off with ten minutes to go, they'd rendered it from a sport to a predestined story. Even to the point where if a port player was running off the pack with a clear advantage, the umpires would blow a whistle giving port a free kick AFTER the break away. Great way to even up the count. I was appalled, and I had no dog in the fight. You guys were robbed.

Maybe, but we wouldn’t have won if we played Sam Hayes. Not sure if you missed the game last week? Srsly, Jonas and Butters don’t have to leave the ground in the 4th and we would have won that game.
Which part of boak and friends spraying it into the forward 50 made you think we were going to be able to score any goals

It's not like we've seen the exact same loss dozens of times before

Watched the game with my son, he was dumbfounded and pissed off about the umpiring.... AS for me, I was just smirking knowing that stupid calls would be made and how. I sat there before the game and thought, how are we going to get shafted in this game.

If the AFL do not take note on how to officially adjudicate a game with out proper vision assistance in this day in age will lose more supporters than it gains due to umpiring decisions that are clearly wrong.

FIFA have made the World Game a fairer game using technology to their advantage. Video is reviewed for any possible dubious infringements from another 3 referee's to confirm that the goal stands. I understand that our game is completely different in many ways to implement this technology however I am sure that you will see happier supporters knowing that the umpiring decisions are made correctly. A clear example is the video quality we see to confirm if a ball has hit the post, how can anyone confirm a goal using such shite resolution and angles for you to see clearly.

If the all the umpiring decisions are made correctly and reviewed, then I will be happy with the loss so we can blame coach and players for such a shite performance instead of calling UMP's cheats.....

Anyways, as the for the game..... we are cooked, it's Rebuild time.....

Dixon is over weight, lumbering and clearly not fit....
Gray is holding on because Ken needs him...
Motlop should be dropped...
Boak is about finished after this year...
Jonas is right behind Boak...

I am an avid Ken fan, but I now will say, its time Ken.... your too predictable and repetitive in game style.

It was telling in the 4tg quarter near our forward boundary to see Powell Pepper bust his gut and go 100% trying to chase down multiple Richmond players and then also seeing Motlop in the same frame going at like 10%
SPP shows leadership qualities on the field for mine, with continued maturity I hope he becomes part of the leadership group st some stage, it would be a great redemption arc.

I watched it but at no stage got excited, upset, or even took any notice of the umpiring. I didn't even realise that we had been shafted before reading here as it's just situation normal.

We are just so so beige.

I wasn't aware all 18 players had to play well before you can criticize the umpires complete inability to adjudicate the game consistently. Judging a teams deservedness of winning based on kicks is unusual especially considering we got more kicks, handballs, clearances, marks. Seems like getting the football wasn't a problem for us. Just bizarre that you would come onto the Port board and bag one of the club's greatest players as a means to argue you weren't favored by the umps. I hope you get ball cancer and your children don't visit you in old age.
For all those extra disposals you had a lot less inside 50s, can’t blame that on a 24-21 free kick count.

For all those extra disposals you had a lot less inside 50s, can’t blame that on a 24-21 free kick count.
Have you noticed all the neutral supporters and even the one Richmond supporter in here all agreeing that we copped the rough end of the stick? Why are you wasting your time on another club's board defending the indefensible?

We aren't, we blame it on our melon head untouchable coach.
As far as the umpiring goes, we as a none Victorian club understand where we sit in your VFL competition, so we are used to it.

Last edited:
Finlayson was terrific last night for a role that he was dumped into.
At worst he was narrowly beaten, and at best he broke even.
The ruck situation wasnt really the issue for me in the loss (albeit not playing one is dopey). As usual it was a combination of poor form of forwards/ poor delivery to forwards/ 3-on-1s in the forward line.
Farrell flies under the radar a bit, and that's another problem in the forward line - sporadic, brilliant, cameo appearances from guys like Farrell, without continuity. Marshall can be a bit that way too.

Finlayson was terrific last night for a role that he was dumped into.
At worst he was narrowly beaten, and at best he broke even.
The ruck situation wasnt really the issue for me in the loss (albeit not playing one is dopey). As usual it was a combination of poor form of forwards/ poor delivery to forwards/ 3-on-1s in the forward line.
Farrell flies under the radar a bit, and that's another problem in the forward line - sporadic, brilliant, cameo appearances from guys like Farrell, without continuity. Marshall can be a bit that way too.

I dunno if its poor forward form, we could have peak buddy franklin in there and those deliveries in there last night he wouldnt have got a touch.

MG would have helped seeing Finlayson wasnt in there. Someone other than motlop would have helped...

Totally agree with farrell! find him so frustrating! Most touches he have are brilliant, he just doesnt find enough of the ball!!! then kicks that terrific goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you noticed all the neutral supporters and even the one Richmond supporter in here all agreeing that we copped the rough end of the stick? Why are you wasting your time on another club's board defending the indefensible?
After any loss, opposition fans show up to say something about the umpires, it's a given. Someone will be tilted no matter who wins.

24-21 is not a biased umpiring display, far from it. How about 33-13 when we played Adelaide over there earlier in the year..? That's when you complain.

After any loss, opposition fans show up to say something about the umpires, it's a given. Someone will be tilted no matter who wins.

24-21 is not a biased umpiring display, far from it. How about 33-13 when we played Adelaide over there earlier in the year..? That's when you complain.
Loving all these posts in here. Do you perchance have a newsletter I might subscribe to so I can hear more?

Honestly have no idea why anybody is upset.

We get closer to running a broom through our coachs box and getting a top 10 pick.

Richmond get closer to keeping out a side like the magpies or bullflogs from the 8.

Winning this game could have been catastrophic for Port.

Its a win-win result. Thank you to the brave men in green who made it happen.

I thought Finlayson was good, competed well until completely gassed in the last. Clearances were the least of our problems. The issue was replacing him forward with Jones, a half back playing largely at HF. We weren't missing a ruck so much as another forward - we reverted to picking half a dozen back flankers and playing them wherever. The angriest I got was constantly seeing Farrell in D50. We have a proven inability to score, so lets address that by weakening the forward line further - smacks of this overly defensive mindset of trying to keep losses close.

I also liked Dumont's game - I think he frees up Boak to be more outside. Boak's disposal let him down but he was able to run out the game better. I don't think it was a coincidence that whatever structure we had fell apart when Dumont came off.

Rozee was better but his disposal really damaged his game.

Marshall great apart from THAT kick. Anyone who can kick goals in our forward structure is doing OK.

Houston was more involved, Drew worked his way into the game after a poor first half, Clurey competed well and at least reduced Riewoldt's influence. Burton the best of the defenders. Possibly unpopular opinion but I like what Amon brings, I wish he was used more effectively. I'd keep him at year end.

Our forward entry and complete inability to set up a scoring chain is what kills us week after week. Now Charlie's back we've reverted to the long bomb, as if there's no other alternative. Perhaps that's partly due to emptying out the forward line but against the good defensive teams particularly we just have no avenue to goal. I guess that's what you get when a defender coaches our forwards. IIRC the bomb worked precisely once, on the stroke of HT.

On the plus side, the endeavour was definitely there but our manic game style means if we aren't 4 goals up at 3QT, we won't last out the game. We either change the game plan or improve our fitness, take your choice.

Farrell's goal definitely the highlight. If that had been Franklin or Hawkins they'd still be cleaning the mess out of the commentary box...

Oh, just on the subject of commentary I thought it was OK. I tentatively left it on as there was no sign of Dwayne or Ricciuto, and thought it was more balanced than usual. I will make an audiology appointment though, I could have sworn I heard them giving it to the umpires over their Q4 bias.

Umpiring? Meh. That's what we always get. Good teams rise above that and I get that we were trying.

I think at the moment we are a lot less than the sum of our parts, resulting in a reasonable showing against the team in 10th being considered acceptable. It's time for change, but we know all that means is a few fringe naysayers being moved on at year end. We are exactly where the AFL wants us.

PS on the concussion. Personally I think neither Butters nor Jonas should play this week, it was nuts for them to go back on. Butters then soon after having his head slammed was a sickening moment - I love that he's tough and fearless, but he's a kid and doesn't deserve potential life-long health issues just to prolong his coach's career.

(BTW had the jumpers been reversed in that tackle it'd be headline news. I can (just about) cope with biased umpiring, but not when it threatens a player's long-term well being).

It feels like that to you because you are a complete moron whose club has a host of known stagers, plays unsociable football, which your coach has frequently admitted means you give more free kicks away and you whinge every ******* week about free kicks.

I'll bite. In a low scoring game that was decided by 2 goals. You were gifted a goal for a 50m where it looked like Farrell was 9.5 metres away AFTER the player has moved off his line and handballed. This is not to be confused with the 50m that Farrell was the beneficiary of when the Richmond player was 7-8m inside the protected zone with Farrell still behind the mark and coming in to protect the corridor which is the exact reason for the rule. The non 50m penalty not paid to marshall where he completed a mark in the centre square and had a player clean him up late with front on contact to slow the play down. As you correctly pointed out the Gibcus freebie that was pathetic and, if paid, should have been paid 30 times to us tonight for much worse holding. The Dusty goal where he pushed the Port defender straight in the back in the goal square to run into a open goal. The nonpaid mark to Dixon inside 50. The non paid dangerous tackle on Butters which resulted in a score.

The only HTB you were hard done by was one paid against you where a player had no prior and fresh aired a kick. You don't get free kicks for dropping the ball with no prior, they just don't pay them. Lachie Jones got pinged because he didn't get the ball away in half a second (or they wrongly paid a handball as a throw) whilst allowing a guy who was tackled to the ground after taking 3-4 steps, another 2 seconds, to get rid of the ball. The interpretation of the HTb rule was absolutely to your advantage.

There were a host of arm chops, in the backs, and holds on the wing that were only paid one way.

I'll get back to the crux of the matter. Every time we play you at AO, you morons whinge about the umpiring because the same scragging you got away with all night tonight occasionally gets paid in Adelaide and you whinge about it because you're an undisciplined team that goes out of its way to try and initimdate other sides (exhibit A, Tom Lynch trying to knockout anyone that gets near him). Did you get hard done by against Sydney? Don't know, but it doesn't somehow erase the events of tonight and I am not inclined to believe you without seeing it for myself. If you want to talk about ancient history though, we can talk about your last close final at AO 2020. You win by a goal. In the last quarter alone - Robbie Gray should have been put to the goalline (a fact the commentators admitted) when he was tackled after disposing of the ball (as blatantly as you could imagine -2 hands tugging the jumper using Gray like a Jet Ski). Rozee was told to stop acting by the ump when he fell forward from a double handed push whilst in mid air and again when he was clearly being held (a fact again the commentators admitted). And then we all remember the deliberate. Could have been there. I would go as far to say that was Hartlett's intention just like the 97000 other times it isn't paid. He quickly dived on the ball and flicked it up towards the boundary line but gave the umpire every opportunity to not pay it with a player 1.5m away from the pass. Go and ask a West Coast or a Brisbane or a Adelaide supporter if they reckon that free gets paid if its a Richmond player in a tied PF at the MCG. Go and ask Adelaide how they feel about the umpiring in the first half of the 2017 GF? You get looked after when you need it, so the 'wah wah free kick differential' expecting a 50/50 count when you clearly push the line, doesn't impress anyone. It also doesn't erase the fact that the umpiring tonight clearly cost us more than the 2 goals in a 2 goal game.
How can I take your post seriously when you start out saying I'm a complete moron?

In the end we'll always see things differently. I just spoke to a neutral who felt like the game was very evenly umpired with too many "tiggy touchwood" free kicks both ways. There can be no winner in this argument.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Richmond v Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Back