Mega Thread Richmond Vs. GCS - Matchday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Richmond Vs. GCS - Team Discussion

We can only play so many tall forwards. We would be too top heavy if we went in with Griffiths Riewoldt Vickery Post all up forward so someone has to make way, with Vickery able to cover the ruck when Browne needs a break and in better form than Post as a forward he stays. That means its either Griffiths or Post that go, for mine Griffiths looked more likely last week especially with a handful of contested marks so he stays and Post has to wait for another opportunity.

Post could have been kept in for Thursfield or McGuane. With GC's forward line, was probably a good opportunity to do that. But maybe Thursty and McGuane are on show for others to see.

Post could have been kept in for Thursfield or McGuane. With GC's forward line, was probably a good opportunity to do that.

Yeah, exactly and then left there to I dunno, develop.

RT chose to ignore that part though (;)). The fact we're going into a game against a bunch of kids that gives us the perfect chance to develop as many kids as possible of our own yet we choose to have both Thursfield and McGuane up back together leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Personally, I'd like to see Post played and left at CHB for the rest of the year like they originally planned the other week. Griffiths, Riewoldt, Vickery, etc obviously first choices up front.

you cant have post and griff both in that side with a ruckman coming into the side. id rather griff thanx!!!

Why not? How many times have we heard supporters complaining about how short our team is.

Post CHB, Griff CHF and Ruck.

Yeah, exactly and then left there to I dunno, develop.

RT chose to ignore that part though (;)). The fact we're going into a game against a bunch of kids that gives us the perfect chance to develop as many kids as possible of our own yet we choose to have both Thursfield and McGuane up back together leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Personally, I'd like to see Post played and left at CHB for the rest of the year like they originally planned the other week. Griffiths, Riewoldt, Vickery, etc obviously first choices up front.
Pretty pointless playing Post at CHB if we're looking to develop him as a forward/pinch hit ruckman which is what I believe they want to do. Down back we've already got Rance Grimes Astbury Moore McGuane & Thursfield as our KPD. For mine Rance Grimes & Astbury are the 3 that we see as our long term options. Moore is the preferred experienced head, while McGuane & Thursfield are there as last choice options. So there is no real place for Post down there.

On the other hand up forward we've got Riewoldt Griffiths Vickery Miller(likely gone at seasons end) & Westhoff(rookie list) as genuine forward options. Browne Graham & Derickx haven't really shown that they are viable options up forward yet so can't be counted. That means we need to develop Post in that area as well.

Pretty pointless playing Post at CHB if we're looking to develop him as a forward/pinch hit ruckman which is what I believe they want to do. Down back we've already got Rance Grimes Astbury Moore McGuane & Thursfield as our KPD. For mine Rance Grimes & Astbury are the 3 that we see as our long term options. Moore is the preferred experienced head, while McGuane & Thursfield are there as last choice options. So there is no real place for Post down there.

On the other hand up forward we've got Riewoldt Griffiths Vickery Miller(likely gone at seasons end) & Westhoff(rookie list) as genuine forward options. Browne Graham & Derickx haven't really shown that they are viable options up forward yet so can't be counted. That means we need to develop Post in that area as well.

There's a big difference in quality between the talls forwards and the backs though. Quantity, meh.

Riewoldt = star. Vickery will be a star or at least a very, very good forward. Griffiths possibly if injuries hold up.

Moore is crippled at the moment is getting on. Not a long-term option. Put a line through both McGuane and Thursfield. No hopers. So that leaves Grimes, Astbury and Rance. Grimes and Astbury both have LTI's. Dunno about you but seems like the perfect opportunity to me to play Post at CHB for the rest year and see what he has to offer. If he doesn't show something then move him on. If he does then awesome we have another option for our future. Leave the "last options" where they belong - at Coburg.

Gotta say I was very disappointed with the selections when I first read them.. Very frustrated that Post got left out and White got brought back in. To be honest I almost got the feeling when reading the side that Dimma is worried about losing this game more so than worrying about developing.... Hence why he's left both McGuane and Thursty in....

I like how they are getting games into Conca, Batchelor, Helbig and Brown.

Other than Brown they were our first three selections in last year's draft. That's why we are seeing Nason playing a bit more twos this year.

It's about development people.

Nothing in this game, will go down to the last quarter i reckon, we need to win the ball out of the midfield and get the supply down to jack,griff and vick looks a dangerous forward line on paper ;)

AHHHHHH GENTS !!!

VERY VERY CUNNING DIMMA IS............

Thursty ,Mguanne & White are all on show against a young GC team where they should dominate & increase the interest from other teams for our end of year trading. :D

its unsettling to see so many on here upset about post being dropped. can see it miles away he is a dud. good guy or not doesn't matter! its business, drop him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dont forget it was only a few weeks ago browne took the game apart and looked like being anything...I'm pretty impressed with the lineup this week and reckon we can win this

yep we have descended to having to reckon about the win against a team who has had its arse cheeks spread by all and sundry cept a couple.
Tipping the brains trust has gone for the "break glass in an emergency" thing with our BL. They know all to well that it leaks like a seive and have stuck with McGuane and Thurst to at least have some "big bodied" experience there.
Interesting to see what unfolds in the ruck this week.
Lets not forget the eternal get out clause for our "developing" ruckmen is, young rucks take time, they need 4 years or so before you know they are duds..
Lets see the difference between a ruckman that you can develop, because they have something to develop and a ruckman who you waste years of developing before you cut them. In the good old words of Graeme Richmond...YOU CANT MAKE STRAWBERRY JAM OUT OF SHIT...and this week it will reinforce to the muppets here, who have a soft spot for a trier who just doesnt have it, what the difference is...tipping we lose this by a lot..the BF servers will go into meltdown on Saturday night..;)

Barnzy yet again is right on the money. I would give him 80% accuracy with his opinions. **** McGuane and Thursty. Put Post in there.

sigh
wasnt so long ago THursty, Moore and McG were our young musketeers, getting games pumped into them after Gaspar fded off and we had no one else tall to put down back.

Bring back the Kellaways I say!

Grimes Batch and Houli look good tho, wtf happened to Connors?

The treatment of Posty and Goo this year has been pathetic. They play a series of good games in the 2's and get promoted only to be dropped after efforts that more than suffice for developing KPP's. Meanwhile hacks like Thurstfield and McGuane get promoted after mediocre efforts in the 2's, display sub-standard skills for so-called experienced players and stay in the bloody side. Not one cent more from me RFC.

There's a big difference in quality between the talls forwards and the backs though. Quantity, meh.

Riewoldt = star. Vickery will be a star or at least a very, very good forward. Griffiths possibly if injuries hold up.

Moore is crippled at the moment is getting on. Not a long-term option. Put a line through both McGuane and Thursfield. No hopers. So that leaves Grimes, Astbury and Rance. Grimes and Astbury both have LTI's. Dunno about you but seems like the perfect opportunity to me to play Post at CHB for the rest year and see what he has to offer. If he doesn't show something then move him on. If he does then awesome we have another option for our future. Leave the "last options" where they belong - at Coburg.
Again its pointless to play Post down back if our long term vision is of him being a forward/pinch hit ruckman, which is what I believe the club wants to do. I still also believe the club is looking at making Vickery our first ruck in years to come who can also be valuable down forward. If that comes off then we need to find a Leigh Brown type who can start forward and then do a 5 minute stint while Vickery has a rest.

Last week for the first 2.5 quarters I thought it worked pretty well with that set up. Post was presenting well up forward and was seemingly holding his own in the ruck and around the ground. So too was Vickery. Shame that they both tired late in the game.

By the sounds of this thread its like we have a bye.

Loving the fact the tiges are up in Cairns. Got to hear the ghost, flea and disco on local abc radio yesterday, it was almost like being in Victoria again being able to hear AFL without having to stream off the internet.

The ground is looking great...nice country ground with a mix of stands and grass...all the tents and temp. stands are up (i have been working at the ground this week....the new change rooms will still smell of paint)

Really looking forward to this...and good work so far Richmond with the promotion of the game up here.

If you dont turn up on Saturday you arent a true tiges fan....yes, even you Melbourne fans who decide to stay in the cold south. The whole lot of you miserable bunch need a holiday. (last paragraph is especially for madtiger)

Again its pointless to play Post down back if our long term vision is of him being a forward/pinch hit ruckman, which is what I believe the club wants to do. I still also believe the club is looking at making Vickery our first ruck in years to come who can also be valuable down forward. If that comes off then we need to find a Leigh Brown type who can start forward and then do a 5 minute stint while Vickery has a rest.

Last week for the first 2.5 quarters I thought it worked pretty well with that set up. Post was presenting well up forward and was seemingly holding his own in the ruck and around the ground. So too was Vickery. Shame that they both tired late in the game.

Then why on earth did Post play at Coburg (and play well too) when we had Miller as FF/CHF?

Surely if Post is earmarked by the club as a forward/pinch hit ruck then he would be playing this role at coburg? Reading the Coburg reports he seems to play a qtr here a qtr there and so on...... hardly giving him the best opportunity to settle into a role and learn how to play it well.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see him request a trade either this year or next if he continues to be played as a Mr Fixit one week in the AFL then one in the VFL.

I would play him CHB in place of McGuane and let him settle in down there. Yes he will make mistakes (so does McGuane)but he should also learn from these too and could become a valuable option in our defence going forward(McGuane is not). He can also pinch hit in the ruck if needed but CHB should be his for the rest of the season:thumbsu:

Gotta say I was very disappointed with the selections when I first read them.. Very frustrated that Post got left out and White got brought back in. To be honest I almost got the feeling when reading the side that Dimma is worried about losing this game more so than worrying about developing.... Hence why he's left both McGuane and Thursty in....

And youre surprised by this?

What "developing" are we actually doing, has post not played defence at the burgers or has that been an illusion?

Could gourdis not have been recalled in the name of "development"....sheesh as santa would say

If thats the case then we shouldnt try and recruit a ruckman, why would we need him if vickery is first ruck with spells on the forward line and post backup with spells on the forward line.? lets get more small bodied, outside midfielders.:rolleyes:

Why waste the pick or picks

Not all that happy that Post had to be left out, but no doubt he is a victim of circumstances... playing in the heat and humidity, etc.

Wow! Tuck is an emergency, did anyone see that coming? :eek: ;) :D

Would not matter if it was cold wet or dry. Post would still be useless. Hopefully thats the last we see of him and Hislop

Youre not allowed to bring up other posters mistakes....:rolleyes:

Also i have said he has Got better this year. However i recall Madtiger saying how much Graham got better last year and look at him now.

Post goes to the same School as Hughes and the Tomma Hawk from Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Richmond Vs. GCS - Matchday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back