Riewoldt - beaten in 2 grand finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Taylor beat him in the wet with two other team mates hanging on each of his arms. Great individual effort that.

I think Roo is an excellent Centre Half Forward. But i should of realized that any criticism of him, or any suggestion that he was beaten on that day or any other day, brings out the same old censure from the STK faithful. So apologies for being so profane. Roo is god like, Taylor is shite. Roo has never been beaten one on one in a match. That make you happy?

I don't know any decent forward that regularly kicks more accurately than him
Then you clearly don't watch much footy.
and regularly lead his team to at least a preliminary.
W. Carey, Kangaroos captain of 7 consecutive preliminary finals 1994-2000. Your boy has a long way to go.

Covers too much ground for mine, needs to stay at home more and get his kicks/marks within the 50 metre arc, all his huffing and puffing is getting him nowhere, needs to stop trying to run a marathon at top speed every game, doesn't bring others into the game, has no football brain to speak of, mainly a mark and kick footballer, very basic ground skills, and without umpire support, is not in the top half dozen chf's in the league.

Surely Riewoldt has to perform in next weeks replay. He's played two poor grand finals now and again missed critical shots on goal.
He was one of their best players, and I don't think he can improve too much on that in this day of team defence. Nathan Brown did quite well on him too at times.

Played a good game and did as much without the ball in his hands as he did without. Must have run a marathon, basically patrolled from FF to CHB.

He was one of their best players, even though Nathan Brown did quite well.
Exactly right.

Cpl of times Riewoldt was under the ball coming in and Brown held him under it perfectly. But Riewoldt still had a damn good game reagrdless. Brown stepped up.

Easy to forget as well how Maxwell's dive on the line came about. That was Riewoldt imposing himself on the game and was a foot from one of the best captains goals you;d wanna see...great captain/captain moment.

Both captains were terrific.

Terrific performance by Nathan Brown today.

Surely Riewoldt has to perform in next weeks replay. He's played two poor grand finals now and again missed critical shots on goal.

Hayes and Goddard stamped themselves as incredible leaders. Time for Riewoldt to do the same or his standing in the game will suffer.

Beaten? I bet you had this thread ready to post before the GF even started. What game were you watching?!

Covers too much ground for mine, needs to stay at home more and get his kicks/marks within the 50 metre arc, all his huffing and puffing is getting him nowhere, needs to stop trying to run a marathon at top speed every game, doesn't bring others into the game, has no football brain to speak of, mainly a mark and kick footballer, very basic ground skills, and without umpire support, is not in the top half dozen chf's in the league.

What???

Riewoldt is worth two players for exactly that reason.

The goal which stopped the rot for St Kilda when they were all but gone came from Riewoldt being involved twice on the wing, and then almost beating the ball to CHF to present a target in space in an attack which was otherwise going to stall.

There's never been another big man who can consistently rack up multiple involvements again and again like he does. And as a bonus, he burns the legs of a couple of opposition players in the process.

Absolute gun, and without the times he personally broke the Pies press, the Saints would have never got a sniff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was one of their best players, and I don't think he can improve too much on that in this day of team defence. Nathan Brown did quite well on him too at times.

You are truly deluded. You keep saying "Swan, Pendlebury and Didak can improve. They were way down on their usual output. They can't be down for two week ra ra ra...". Yet Riewoldt can't improve? Open the other eye.

You have set the precedent, and quoted SuperCoach points to back up your arguments, so I am merely doing the same. Riewoldt, (excluding his "injury" game and his first two back), has averaged 133 for the year.

Yesterday he pulled an 88. So using basic arithmetic, I suggest to you he has 33% more improvement left in him. He has kicked 3 x 5 goal bags in the last 5 meetings.

Saying Riewoldt has no improvement in him is a coping mechanism. It's your brains way of dealing with the fact that although solid, he has another gear he can reach next week.

And for what it's worth.

Swan 89
Riewoldt 88
Pendlebury 87
Didak 65

Why not post all 4 players season averages?

Roo could play better, but still had a pretty good game all things considered.

The 3 pies midfielders were all well down.......collectively they have not all played as bad in a single game in 2010, henceforth reasonably confident that all 3 wont be poor for two weeks in a row.

Why not post all 4 players season averages?

Roo could play better, but still had a pretty good game all things considered.

The 3 pies midfielders were all well down.......collectively they have not all played as bad in a single game in 2010, henceforth reasonably confident that all 3 wont be poor for two weeks in a row.

Because my argument wasn't based on the fact that those players have improvement, my argument is based on the double standard, one-eyed view of a lot of Collingwood supporters. Roo had a solid game as mentioned. As did Pendles. As did Swan. By no means outstanding, but all contributed.

How can it have worth when noone would know what it is. More meaningless gameboy stuff ?

You don't know what Supercoach points are? All i'm trying to do is negate the bias. Supercoach point/Champion data ranking points, whilst are not an absolute, are the best means of doing this. I'm sorry that i'm trying to make progress in this argument, as opposed to a he said she said biased opinion.

Again, for what it's worth, CD ranked these players the best, statistically...

Goddard
Ablett
Swan
Judd
Selwood
Hodge
Chapman
Barlow
Montagna
Sandilands
Cross
Dal Santo
Murphy
Pendlebury

So while you can argue it is not absolute, there is definitely some merit and validity, as opposed to an opinion.

Because my argument wasn't based on the fact that those players have improvement, my argument is based on the double standard, one-eyed view of a lot of Collingwood supporters. Roo had a solid game as mentioned. As did Pendles. As did Swan. By no means outstanding, but all contributed.

You are actually backing up her point.

The 3 pies stars - Swan, Pendles, Didak - all were well down on their supercoach averages.....hence reason to be optimistic that they will play closer to the norm next week.

The 3 saint stars - Roo, Goddard, Hayes - two of them had absolute blinders and one was solid.......and it still wasn't enough!

The 3 pies stars - Swan, Pendles, Didak - all were well down on their supercoach averages.....hence reason to be optimistic that they will play closer to the norm next week.

The 3 saint stars - Roo, Goddard, Hayes - two of them had absolute blinders and one was solid.......and it still wasn't enough!

How am I backing up her point?! I am not arguing whether or not they have improvement, I am arguing that whilst they may or may not have improvement, you can't claim that Roo was soooooo good and has no improvement, whereas Swan and Pendles were sooooooo bad that they have plenty of improvement, when CD proves that is not the case at all.

I'm not trying to argue it, but not only does Roo (33%) have improvement, he has more improvement than Swan (30%) and Pendles (21%), with only Didak having more (37%) based on CD ranking point averages, which are objective.

This is my favourite logic it purposely excludes the Saint's other 2 stars in Montagna and Dal Santo, one of which played a good game and one of which played a very poor game by his standards (Dal Santo). Also Roo and Swan were both pretty comparable in their performances, both still about 5-6th best players for their teams without being as good as they normally are. Also if you're hoping for Goddard/Hayes to go missing next week, good luck with that because it won't happen. I would think it more likely that Didak will put in another below par game in finals which he has done historically quite often. I'd expect Pendlebury to play better though assuming he didn't get injured in that nasty fall. Also its hard to imagine Thomas playing any better than he did today, was just great all day long.

Basically it's way over simplistic to take the 3 best players from either side and suggest one performed closer to their usual standard in H&A and the other didn't, so then the team that didn't should have more 'improvement' in them next week. Personally i think either team should be a good chance to win it next week as long as they come out and bring their top footy.

Then you clearly don't watch much footy.

W. Carey, Kangaroos captain of 7 consecutive preliminary finals 1994-2000. Your boy has a long way to go.

Carey was a fantastic player. I am not trying to take away from him. Although his GF record is not great in terms of goals. Does that mean he was beaten or dud not affect the game? Of course not, having three players on you is already a vuctoryvof sorts.

I dont put the saints demolition on carry and north in 97 down to Wakelin alone, it wadva team effort.

Also its hard to imagine Thomas playing any better than he did today, was just great all day long.
Thomas is our best finals player....even last year he stepped up a level.

Basically it's way over simplistic to take the 3 best players from either side and suggest one performed closer to their usual standard in H&A and the other didn't, so then the team that didn't should have more 'improvement' in them next week. Personally i think either team should be a good chance to win it next week as long as they come out and bring their top footy.
Of course the argument is simplistic.

The funny thing is, that the pies top footy is when Didak, Swan and Pendles are up and about.....if they play well next week we will win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Riewoldt - beaten in 2 grand finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back