Riewoldt - beaten in 2 grand finals

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no harsher critic of Nick Riewoldt, than Nick Riewoldt himself.

I think he had a good game, but I reckon he will be expecting better.

I think now at least he knows who his likely opponent will be, it will allow him to prepare better this week.

And that is the worry for Collingwood.

Just as Swan is the worry for St Kilda.

Neither champ would have been happy with their games. And they wouldn't often feel that 2 weeks in a row.

Riewoldt busted a gut, as he always does, but I thought he struggled to do the little things well consistently yesterday. There were a couple of key times in particular when he was in a two-on-two contest at ground level where he ran to receive instead of protecting the ball carrier. That's not really what you want your captain and big forward doing. It was also not a good look to be outmarked twice by Brown one-out inside 50.

He has a goal accuracy percentage of 47% this year.

Hall, Jack, Buddy, Pav, LeCras, SJ, Pods and Fev all had a better record.

He was, however, more accurate than Cloke.

Riewoldt - 39 goals 33 behinds

One of his behinds yesterday was touched on the line: it was about to go through. He was critical to our late charge and will be dominant next week when we dominate the midfield like we did in the 2nd half.

Embarassing this thread was left here to feed the trolls.

Reiwoldt was damn good.

Probably the same bunch of nitwits that glisten their gusset over Maxwell diving for that ball in the goalsquare...but forget how the ball got to be there and recognise that it was 1/8th of a second from being a brilliant captains goal that may have even been the matchwinner....kicked by a bloke imposing himself on the game. Everything u would want.

Tall poppy syndrome in the hands of fools and kiddies....much easier to throw little pebbles at the great players than praise them.

Swan had a good game too...was damn handy especially in the last, but of course unless he gets 38 touches he was hopeless.

We won't ever win a grand final unless he plays a blinder.

He was bad yesterday, by riewoldt standards. Great by average player standards.

Really really really needs to lift for the second half of the grand final.

Bit hard when you're in the ruck though isn't it?

Kosi has his critics, but he has had a good finals series, and is in a good place form wise.

I'm critical because the guy has amazing talent but only ever seems to show it in brief bursts. What's his ratio of first half : second half goals this year?

Considering he was playing against a 21 year old with less than 50 games experience, in a grand final, he could and probably should have done more. As a Collingwood supporter I was very pleased with Brown's game and would happily take the same output from Riewoldt next week. We can't expect Brown to stop Roo on the lead, not many can, but one-on-one Brown more than held his own.

Good, solid game. Hardly fantastic.

I'm critical because the guy has amazing talent but only ever seems to show it in brief bursts. What's his ratio of first half : second half goals this year?

Don't know or care to be honest, since returning from his ankle injury, he has continued to get consistently better as the year has worn on.

People may have high standards for him, but he shouldered a lot of responsibility yesterday, and well.

What if Lenny, Roo, BJ, Dal, Joey, etc all play well too? Take your black and white bullshit glasses off mate, even if your boys play well you can still lose.

Lenny, Roo, BJ and Joey all had good games.

The only bloke of that quintet who was down was Dal, and he is clearly carrying an injury.

After Goddard took his massive mark and goal I thought we had lost the premiership, but they couldn't finish us off.

The pies were well beaten in the midfield on Satday and didn't lose, henceforth reasonably confident that if the pies play well and get on top in the middle that they will win.

Actually how was Swan stopped in the second half, (by Rae, wasn't it) just close checking or what?

Lenny simply won the contested ball battle and would move the pill the saints way.

The saints out tackled Collingwood, out harassed Collingwood, won the contested ball and clearances.

These are the stats that Collingwood have dominated all year.

The players will go back to what has worked and will out tackle, out desperate the saints and then will kick more than 10 goals and win.

The pies were well beaten in the midfield on Satday and didn't lose, henceforth reasonably confident that if the pies play well and get on top in the middle that they will win.

Interesting that the Pies supporters are seemingly deeply at peace with the contradiction.

Riewoldt failed to dominate, so that's a plus for the pies.

The usual suspects from Collingwood failed to dominate, so that's a plus for the Pies.

??????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that the Pies supporters are seemingly deeply at peace with the contradiction.

Riewoldt failed to dominate, so that's a plus for the pies.

The usual suspects from Collingwood failed to dominate, so that's a plus for the Pies.

??????

I reckon Riewoldt had a pretty good game.

He took some imposing marks, kicked a couple of crucial goals, was busting his gut working up the ground even helping take the ruck at different stages. Couldn't really expect much more from Roo.

The Collingwood blokes hardly fired a shot, were beaten in tackle count, and contested ball two measures which we have dominated all year.

Pathetic thread.

Lets just hope the Pies/media talk up what a "super" job Brown did and how he easily beat Riewoldt.....similar to the Cats Taylor dribble (which always ignores the condiditions...) cause we know how Riewoldt answered the Taylor challenge this year in finals dont we???

I reckon Riewoldts got 15-20% improvement in him and if he brings that Saturday and our team actually tries to get the ball down to him.....lookout

Same idiots come out every year after a power forward doesn't kick a bag in a Grand Final.....

Mooney got owned
Buddy is over rated
Riewoldt is Taylors bitch

Its quite simple in a high pressure non blow out Grand Final power forwards dont kick bags...... Its the style of play...being double teamed umps letting things go............Any power forward who kicks three
has more than done his job.

Watch the replay next week the winning team will have someone like Milne kicking three or Didak kicking three...... If its not a blow out next week i'll
bet my left knacker that Cloke and Riewoldt will not kick 4.

Brown was ok, but Riewoldt still won the day. Interestingly Brown smashed into Riewoldt at every opportunity (as he should) and got away with more than normal being that it was a GF.

Riewoldt created heaps of contests and spilled ball, but Milnie et al probably didn't get around him as much as he should have

I reckon Riewoldt had a pretty good game.

Riewoldt did play a very good game. The statements by other Collingwood supporters that he was beaten are cringeworthy.

The Collingwood blokes hardly fired a shot, were beaten in tackle count, and contested ball two measures which we have dominated all year.

And that in a nutshell is why the majority of neutral suporters favour St Kilda in the replay. Collingwood have been incredibly hard at it all season and don't have an extra GF gear. St Kilda does.

Only chance the Pies have is to jump the Saints early again and finish the job. It's my suspicion though that the game's going to start out flat, and evolve into a 4 quarter grind.

I commented during the game that once again he seemed to be trying to do everything himself, he can't kick goals from the wing. He's almost too good if you know what I'm trying to say (def no troll). Trust your team mates to get it to you Roo.

Wasn't bad, wasn't great. I thought Brown did a great job given he is normally troubled by big name forwards.

I thought both Brown AND Reid did amazing jobs for such young key defenders.

Our problem was at the other end.

Equal highest goalscorer for both teams and like cloke should have slotted atleast another 1 or 2 but thats gf pressure and as ive said even before last week Clokes and Riewoldts kicking has been that way all season so if it changes in 1 week it would only be by luck.....more of the same for this week..

Having said all that delivery was rubbish to roo, quite a few times stright over his head and to the defender behind him....be suprised if that happens that many times this week

Remove this Banner Ad

Riewoldt - beaten in 2 grand finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back