Riewoldt - beaten in 2 grand finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Thomas is our best finals player....even last year he stepped up a level.

Of course the argument is simplistic.

The funny thing is, that the pies top footy is when Didak, Swan and Pendles are up and about.....if they play well next week we will win.

What if Lenny, Roo, BJ, Dal, Joey, etc all play well too? Take your black and white bullshit glasses off mate, even if your boys play well you can still lose.

I don't know any decent forward that regularly kicks more accurately than him and regularly lead his team to at least a preliminary.

He has a goal accuracy percentage of 47% this year.

Hall, Jack, Buddy, Pav, LeCras, SJ, Pods and Fev all had a better record.

He was, however, more accurate than Cloke.

Felt bad for Reiwoldt in the last quarter- he was trying super hard but other than that last mark, he just kept ****ing things up- was out-positioned several times, there was that out on the full off the back of his foot, and one very telling kick straight to a pie in the centre of the ground.

Was clearly trying his heart out to lift his side, but was having one of those days.

Once the dust settles I think he would be pretty pleased to be able to go back next week and have another crack. A close loss, and those errors would have haunted him for the rest of his career.

lol. He was very good considering the amount of opportunities he had to fly at the ball. Had he have kicked one of the two he missed then I would have rated his game as brilliant. For a key forward to have the impact he did with the I50's, the amount of balls that sat on top of his head, the amount of time he spent in the middle and up near the defensive half, shows how good he is imo. Brown was good considering who he was playing on but Riewoldt clearly won the battle imo.

He was double or triple teamed on most ocassions and on other ocassions St. Kilda were kicking over his head.

He's double teamed every week. So is every gun forward.

There isn't a Collingwood person alive who wouldn't have taken Brown's job on Riewoldt yesterday. He's the best player on the ground but he wasn't in the best 10 on the ground yesterday. That is a resounding win for Collingwood.

In his 2 grand finals he has had supercoach scores of 74 and 88. That is well below his average (and is akin to an average player) so he'd have to be very disappointed with his own output. Cloke is copping it for crucial misses but Riewoldt let his team down too.

Can't understand how anyone can say he was beaten. Had poor delivery all day yet kicked 2.3, won the ball at ground level, chased and tackled hard, played as a link man when needed, set up plays and I50's, even did the small things which had a big impact like tapping that ball that was going out down to Nicky Dal which resulted in a goal.

Just because he didn't kick 5 and get 25 possessions, doesn't mean he didn't play well.

Enough with the SC points. Did Riewoldt get any points for the tap to Dal Sato? Did he get points for running harder and faster than every other player to get the ball of Kosi in the pocket?

Lots of little things don't get put on stats sheets.

Reckon Malthouse would cop a similar output from Riewoldt next week. Without goals from unlikely sources in Gilbert & Hayes, Saints lose.

It's a familiar refrain, but Koschitzke must do more to ease the reliance on Riewoldt.

He's double teamed every week. So is every gun forward.

There isn't a Collingwood person alive who wouldn't have taken Brown's job on Riewoldt yesterday. He's the best player on the ground but he wasn't in the best 10 on the ground yesterday. That is a resounding win for Collingwood.

In his 2 grand finals he has had supercoach scores of 74 and 88. That is well below his average (and is akin to an average player) so he'd have to be very disappointed with his own output. Cloke is copping it for crucial misses but Riewoldt let his team down too.

Apples and oranges, Riewoldt brings so much more to his team then Cloke does.

Stop throwing SC scores around, it just makes you look stupid. They don't truly reflect on a players impact on the game or whether player X beat their opponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and how did carey go in grand finals?

his gf record is no better than riewoldts
Carey = two time premiership captain. How many flags has Riewoldt captained again?

FWIW, I'm a massive Riewoldt fan, and while not at his best yesterday he was still quite good. My reply was in response to the uninformed comment that "I don't know any decent forward that regularly lead his team to at least a preliminary"

Taylor beat him in the wet with two other team mates hanging on each of his arms. Great individual effort that.

Haha. Hilarious. I'm watching the game again, and I'm up to 2 minutes into the 3rd quarter, and there's been 13 one-on-one contests between Taylor and Riewoldt, and Taylor's won 11 of them. Only 3 times thus far has Harry had a teammate go up with him in a contest.

Riewoldt did well with what he had to work with. Dude had to go up the ground to get the ****ing ball. Saints midfield needs to step up next week. Took too long to get going. Give Riewoldt some decent delivery and he will kick a bag.

Saints backline was outstanding, even Dawson.

I thought he was serviceable with the delivery he got. There was, what, 35 I50s for the Saints? That's pretty poor. He had to push up the field to have any sort of influence on the match and scoring two goals with the delivery he did get was a pretty good effort.

Held some very nice marks too.

Covers too much ground for mine, needs to stay at home more and get his kicks/marks within the 50 metre arc, all his huffing and puffing is getting him nowhere, needs to stop trying to run a marathon at top speed every game, doesn't bring others into the game, has no football brain to speak of, mainly a mark and kick footballer, very basic ground skills, and without umpire support, is not in the top half dozen chf's in the league.

Game has changed so much Jozeph.. CHF's are no longer playing traditional CHF roles as we were spoiled with Carey. Give the guy a break.. he busts his arse, puts his body on the line and doesn't get outbodied nowadays as he did back in the day. But as Rod Stroker points out, he has a long way to go to match the game breaking fetes of Wayne Carey, the true CHF. Rooey is possibily the best new age CHF going around. Tougher game to play these days with so much pressure cooker situations.

Covers too much ground for mine, needs to stay at home more and get his kicks/marks within the 50 metre arc, all his huffing and puffing is getting him nowhere, needs to stop trying to run a marathon at top speed every game, doesn't bring others into the game, has no football brain to speak of, mainly a mark and kick footballer, very basic ground skills, and without umpire support, is not in the top half dozen chf's in the league.

Does it hurt your brain to type such ridiculous tripe? You're a constant Riewoldt troll and a terrible one at that, but this post takes stupid to a whole new level.

The real flip side is that the Saints held Swan, Didak and Pendlebury to a combined 57 disposals. You would have to think a similar output from their 3 stars next week would not be a good thing for the pie army.

Reckon Malthouse would cop a similar output from Riewoldt next week.

That's it really. Riewoldt's workrate was as admirable as always and you can blame bad delivery and double teaming (though this happens every week). But at the end of the day he was not in the best few players on the park.

That is a big win for Collingwood just as Swann not being in the best few was a big win for the saints. Neither were bad but neither were anywhere near dominant. When words like "servicable," "solid" and "ok" are being used to describe Riewoldt's grand final, you know Brown did a very good job on the superstar.

No doubt Collingwood would be happy for Riewoldt to replicate his output next week. The Saints would like more from their best player.

There is no harsher critic of Nick Riewoldt, than Nick Riewoldt himself.

I think he had a good game, but I reckon he will be expecting better.

I think now at least he knows who his likely opponent will be, it will allow him to prepare better this week.

It's a familiar refrain, but Koschitzke must do more to ease the reliance on Riewoldt.

Bit hard when you're in the ruck though isn't it?

Kosi has his critics, but he has had a good finals series, and is in a good place form wise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Riewoldt - beaten in 2 grand finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back