Player Watch Riley Thilthorpe - Signed to End of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

You know the reason we cheated in 2009 was to get him to stay despite the huge offers he was getting from Queensland?
Yeah around $50K more per season from 3rd party sponsorship more which was actually within the salary cap but wasn't declared and you don't think if Brisbane or GCS offered him $1M in 2009 he wouldn't have left then? He started to show he was developing into a good player but not even GCS would have been that stupid to offer him that much money.

Yeah around $50K more per season from 3rd party sponsorship more which was actually within the salary cap but wasn't declared and you don't think if Brisbane or GCS offered him $1M in 2009 he wouldn't have left then? He started to show he was developing into a good player but not even GCS would have been that stupid to offer him that much money.

Ah yes that old myth "Oh we actually had the salary cap space for it".

Good theory, absolutely no proof.

We cheated because we didn't have the cap for him.

Occams razor.

And did anyone offer him $1M, no because his breakout season to become an elite player happened in 2012.

You don't know what the offers were in 2009. All we know is that other clubs offered him enough that the club felt the need to offer an illegal inducement lest they lose him.

It is unarguable that his 2009 was a superior season, and the marginal difference in the team's performance does not justify the asinine opinion that he didnt break out until 2012.

You were wrong, you must know it by now, and you're digging in because you substantially overestimate your capacity to wing your way out.

You don't know what the offers were in 2009. All we know is that other clubs offered him enough that the club felt the need to offer an illegal inducement lest they lose him.

It is unarguable that his 2009 was a superior season, and the marginal difference in the team's performance does not justify the asinine opinion that he didnt break out until 2012.

You were wrong, you must know it by now, and you're digging in because you substantially overestimate your capacity to wing your way out.
Disagree, we lost to the Hawks by 1 point away.

That's not what I said, I said we didn't have the cap space for him.

Did you read my post AT ALL?

But more so, people shouldnt underestimate the value of the 'trade to a team of your choice' inducement.

Having a guarantee that he could be traded at below market value to whichever club he chose created the environment in which he was most able to leverage his position for salary: the team that was going to end up buying him knew that they only had to spend salary cap assets and not trade draft assets or players in order to acquire him. That created the capacity to extract a premium in salary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FFS, who gives a sh*t about Tippett, stop ruining the thread

It wasnt very interesting before hand, let's be honest.

"I reckon he's like Mark Madden"
"No, no, I reckon he's like Steven Milne if he was four feet taller and wasnt a piece of shit"

Like I said we went deeper in the finals in 2012 so clubs will place more important on 2012 than 2009 form so this was his breakout season to becoming an elite player. Hence Sydney took the gamble with that massive contract which didn't work out.

I was shocked Danniher got 750k from Brisbane, but it makes sense now that I factor in all of those deep finals runs Essendon went on.

This is a point where you need to dig upwards. After all, ask yourself this one question, is 55 a bigger number then 39?

Aren't you implying we payed him $100K+ from 3rd party payments to make up the cap squeeze? It's been reported we were under the salary cap for that season.

Reported by who? based on what source?

It's a bullshit rumor.

I was shocked Danniher got 750k from Brisbane, but it makes sense now that I factor in all of those deep finals runs Essendon went on.

This is a point where you need to dig upwards. After all, ask yourself this one question, is 55 a bigger number then 39?
$750K isn't $1M (and if they can get Daniher fit he is easily worth $750K if he can recapture his AA form) and ask yourself did you see Tippett as potentially developing into an elite player end of 2009 or 2012?

Last edited:
So if we’re playing the “comparison game”, I think a taller Goodes perhaps?
Both can play in ruck, forward or midfield/wing. Both have attributes that are useful should a “hole need to be filled” during an injury. Goodes has a Brownlow (actually two), and I rate RT highly enough that I think he can win one sometime in his career.

no. Nothing like Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Riley Thilthorpe - Signed to End of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Back