Player Watch Riley Thilthorpe - Signed to End of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Tipp also seemed to have most of his best moments in the raptor head gurnsey which is quite a feat.

Reflecting on how the game has changed re size of forward lines, people used to get so riled up on here about not letting Tippett play as a second ruck. Compare and contrast as to the general preference for Thilthorpe to play as a second ruck to improve the structure.

Part of the issue was Tippett was by far our best key forward between 2008-11, until Walker finally established himself in 2012. Our KPF stocks were so bad at the time that Tippett was clearly our best KPF before he’d even debuted!

Tippett spending 20% game time in ruck and 20% on bench equated to 60% time up forward. He was also clearly struggling to have a consistent output as a key forward. If you look back to Tippetts bigger hauls, they were almost always when we had a 2nd ruck that wasn’t Tippett. It makes sense.

This was a time when we should have been challenging but were largely underperforming.

I’m quite happy for Thilthorpe to 2nd ruck at present because Walkers our number oneforward and 2nd rucking Thilthorpe keeps him engaged around the footy. He’s also far more accomplished and dangerous with his foot skills and ground ball work than Tippett. His midfield work may in time be such that the discussion will be so you play him as a KPF or 1st ruck...

However, assuming he establishes himself as a KPF once Walker has retired, it will again become an interesting conundrum as to whether you drag Thilthorpe away from the goal front or 2nd ruck another player. It will also depend on where Fogs at and what our general forward line potency/personnel looks like.

Worth noting not many #1 key forwards second rucking these days. Even the 198cm+ ones like McKay, King x2, Lynch, Hawkins, Tabenar...

Dixon does for Port, but he’s averaging 1.5 goals a game and is as much a diversion than anything else. Daniher for Brisbane, again averaging 1.7 a game. If you’re doing it, you will want to make sure you’ve got other forwards to carry the load.

What about Richo?

oh god no. Richo was actually the bionic prototype for Tippett. Maybe part running man, part Nick Gill.

Richo was a terrible footballer, he literally could not play football. He was a fantastically athletic praying mantis who was so big, such great hands and a decent tank he could execute individual plays at a high level. He was a collection of moments, sometimes impossible plays stitched together to make a games output.

see ball, get ball was perfected by Richo. For a large part of his early career it was a running joke how uncoordinated he looked, and how good he would be if he could learn to play footy, fit within a team structure.

He was so good with his hands you could almost hear him squish the air out of the ball when he marked it.

Don’t know why but repeatedly the analogy of Roughead keeps popping up in my mind. No idea why I even care that much, let alone it continuing in my thoughts…

kudos to Jello_B for the call. He’s definitely more athletic and nastier than Roughy, but I reckon that was a flat out great call 👍👍
How about a taller Koutafides maybe?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about a taller Koutafides maybe?

nah, Kouta is just different. TT doesn’t have the straight line speed, the acceleration. He couldn’t keep up with him.

Kouta was a bigger, more athletic, physical Judd without quite the same instincts. A burst player. Kouta was pure midfielder, like an Olympic 800m runner could football.

TT is big, he is extra when compared to bigs with the ability to rove the fall of the ball, but his baseline is still the physicality of a mega tall.

nah, Kouta is just different. TT doesn’t have the straight line speed, the acceleration. He couldn’t keep up with him.

Kouta was a bigger, more athletic, physical Judd without quite the same instincts. A burst player. Kouta was pure midfielder, like an Olympic 800m runner could football.

TT is big, he is extra when compared to bigs with the ability to rove the fall of the ball, but his baseline is still the physicality of a mega tall.
In reality TT is still so raw. It just makes it all the more exciting to think what he could be after another AFL preseason or 2. I just look at that marking ability and ability to play the groundball too....i just keep seeing a perfect modern day pagans paddock monster who happily plays for us

I was too young to have watched this but read about it

In 1984 as a 19 year old Paul Salmon had kicked 63 goals in the first 13 games of the season. Then did his ACL and had a full reconstruction, year off.

Returned and was a very good player but supposedly never captured the agility he had pre-knee injury

I wonder how 1984 Salmon and 2021 Thilthorpe compare?

For me, and it’s just my opinion but I really can see a more athletic, dexterous Roughy with a mean streak.

What about the player Rendell saw when he watched Shaun McKernan?

Given Big E and Billy and flops and should either be deslited/remain as depth only if we have half a brain, do we target someone like CCJ, to allow RT to play as our roaming 3rd tall?

I was pretty set on Fog being our CHF and RT being our FF/relief ruck, but he's just so influential in all areas of the ground, we might have to look at targetting a new FF so that RT can be our 3rd tall.

Given Big E and Billy and flops and should either be deslited/remain as depth only if we have half a brain, do we target someone like CCJ, to allow RT to play as our roaming 3rd tall?

I was pretty set on Fog being our CHF and RT being our FF/relief ruck, but he's just so influential in all areas of the ground, we might have to look at targetting a new FF so that RT can be our 3rd tall.

I think this is a case of don't play 3D chess when you don't need to.

Let Thilthorpe play FF against the 2nd defender (or best), and begin building the forward line around him over the next year or two. Then once Tex is gone, the only question we need to ask is "do we want Thilthorpe at CHF, or FF"? If we want Riley to roam then he'll replace Tex as the CHF. If not, Thilthorpe stays at FF.

But regardless, you smoosh Fogarty, Gollant and others around whatever you want Thilthorpe to be. None of them is worth it to sacrifice any impact that Filthy could have.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Riley Thilthorpe - Signed to End of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Back