List Mgmt. Rioli to Port Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seemingly has an issue with the conditions the Eagles have put on a contract offer... tells you everything you need to know about what sort of liability he will be going forward off the field... does not even trust himself.

Gotta be a kick in the teeth to Simmo, who travelled to the Tiwi Islands multiple times to meet his family and get some knowledge about his culture, make him more comfortable etc.

Everything relating to him post-2018 has been a monumental waste of club resources. Hopefully we get something out of a trade.
To point one: He and his manager can’t take the moral high ground here. Dude has made repeated major breaches.

To point two: for all his coaching errors at the early part of the season, you can’t fault his work rate and dedication to trying to culturally support his players

To point three, we had to consider he wasn’t coming back. Took a huge risk, and paid his damn wages.

Things to get mad about:
  • We paid for all his legal bills
  • We kept him on the list for two years for zero games
  • We kept him on the list for two years and he didn't come back in a 'yes I owe you big time' and going to get completely fit attitude.

Footy Rhino is saying the $$$ isn't too far off from us and Port ("Significant offer from WC" is the wording). The difference being port offering four years and us putting a lot of contingencies in the contract.

Now if the money isn't the issue, you would think what we are doing for Willie is just for his own good. You stay fit, out of trouble and do your best, you will get the two additional years anyways but you still remain an Eagles legend.

Just can't help but feel there's an element of Willie taking the easy route out.

Anyways for us, its a blessing in disguise as we really need to get the youth in and Willie is one of only a handful on our list that isn't an untouchable but with currency.

I'm just jumping to the seemingly inevitable conclusion that Port won't entertain Rioli + 20 for pick 8 despite how reasonable it is.
I would say they aren't operating in good faith if that's not seen as a reasonable trade. We're probably getting the slightly better end of the deal there but not by a huge margin.

In that case, could throw in our pick 26 for Port's 2023 second-rounder. Let's say there are 4 F/S, Academy and compo selections before that point, that means Port only need to finish 15th or better to start improving the deal*.

Port would back themselves to make finals next year and if that transpired would hurt this deal for us, but I think they've done their dash with this group and they're staring at a mini rebuild before the likes of Rozee, Drew and Butters are ready to lead a premiership assault. These guys are good players but I think they'll need a couple more real high-end talents around them to get a flag. And they'll want that mini rebuild done and the premiership push started whilst Wines (28 in a few months) still has some gas in the tank.

The fact they are chasing Rioli suggests they don't share the same outlook and they're going to go again with this group for a couple more years at least. I don't share their optimism. Even if this year was an aberration and they bounce a fair way back up the table, I don't see their playing group being able to match Melbourne of Sydney over the next few years. Certainly not in a huge finals match.

* That being said, next year's draft is supposed to be a bit deeper than this one, though how accurate can reports of a draft 12 months away be? If it is indeed accurate that pushes the deal a bit more into our favour.

Geez people need to take a bit of a breath before posting. We hardly have anyone leave us compare to all other clubs, but when we do boy do we melt.

IMO he’s clearly been spooked by his manager into seeking out money following the death of his dad. I bet he pointed to it and told him to reflect on how short a time he has left in his career. And then left him to do the heavy lifting himself

Geez people need to take a bit of a breath before posting. We hardly have anyone leave us compare to all other clubs, but when we do boy do we melt.
Fair to say the Rioli story is a unique one, and one that you would hope may have bred some loyalty to us.

For all the club has done wrong over the last few years, the way we’ve looked after those on the outer like Rioli and Venables has been first class.

I think people should be allowed to feel emotional about this one, especially if he’s jetted off without really communicating it to the club. Poor form.

Rioli is chasing money & job security for his last significant contract. Not shocking.

If he's keen to stay and it's only the contract that's the issue... surely we're better off paying him for an extra year than a receiving a future 2nd rounder. The likelihood that we'll get someone of his talent & caliber in that draft range is slim.

Rioli cost the Eagles another gf appearance with his failed drug testing. Having to fly Petch over to cover him against the cat's.

He is not worth the effort and risk, especially for an extended period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rioli cost the Eagles another gf appearance with his failed drug testing. Having to fly Petch over to cover him against the cat's.

Yeah we were getting into the Grand Final if not for that. Just had to beat Geelong in Melbourne then Richmond in Melbourne. Piece of cake.

First Judd, now Rioli!

This place is a joke. Nesbitt has a lot to answer for. It's a constant revolving door of player exodus.

Fold the club.

awkward small talk GIF by Kim's Convenience

First Judd, now Rioli!

This place is a joke. Nesbitt has a lot to answer for. It's a constant revolving door of player exodus.

Fold the club.

awkward small talk GIF by Kim's Convenience's Convenience
I don't think I've felt this emotional about a player leaving since Judd!

I need a woman, or a stiff whiskey. Or something in between.

First Judd, now Rioli!

Fold the club.

awkward small talk GIF by Kim's Convenience's Convenience
Not sure what we will get back in return for Rioli. He suddenly walks out on the club after they supported him during his ban. IF we knew he was going to go, we should have cut him loose before his ban was up. He can go to hell

He is not worth the effort and risk, especially for an extended period.
No escaping what occured in 2019 but we were willing to do 3 years - another year isn't that much riskier, particularly if you build behavioural conditions into the contract.

That said, I voiced that opinion before the whole interview in Adelaide dropped. Amateur hour & completely disrespectful stuff.

I stand by the perspective that we're unlikely to replace his talent with a future second & especially not pick with 52+. We need to be staunch with port here.

Yeah we were getting into the Grand Final if not for that. Just had to beat Geelong in Melbourne then Richmond in Melbourne. Piece of cake.

The Eagles were up and firing of course they had a terrific chance of doing that.

Simpson wouldn't be under so much scrutiny on the board if they had.

Fk me some of the posts in here are deadset pathetic. Even getting personal. Grow up.

Anyone who thinks rioli owes the club to the point where he should take less $$ and a shorter contract due to loyalty need to come back to the real world. I'll never begrudge someone for doing what's best for thier family. This is realistically his last chance to cash in and setup his life. Lot of emotional ppl need to get off thier high horse.

The interview sure isn't a great look, but rioli has never been a guy who is capable of giving vanilla scripted responses. Different kind of cat.

And let's be real, If rioli wasn't a jet no chance eagles stuck by him. We didn't keep him as an act of goodwill. SMH.

Now all that being said. I agree with the sentiment that ports offer speaks to the volume of what they should cough up. If 51 is all they offer, a pick were unlikely to even use... then yep I'd rather he go to the psd out of principle. How we handle ourselves at the trade table is something we have control over and sometimes you need to put a line in the sand.

If he does pick port I bet it ends up being a future 2nd.

The Eagles were up and firing of course they had a terrific chance of doing that.

Simpson wouldn't be under so much scrutiny on the board if they had.

Up and firing? We lost the last three rounds before the finals, including to a non-finals team at home in the final round of the season.

Beating Geelong with Rioli would have been a surprise. Going back the next week and beating Richmond would’ve been a miracle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back