List Mgmt. Rioli to Port Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very clear from his comments that yes he has decided to leave. It's smart of a sportsman to decide that yes sport is business and you have to do what's best for yourself and family, it's probably less smart to declare that on the news. He doesn't have the same loyalty to the club as the club did with him.

That's life. Will choose a player every day of the week that wants to play for the Eagles over one that doesn't. Hopefully we do alright out of the trade. Get on the phone to any WA players from Port and see if any have interest to return home.

People in here carrying on like Willie Junior just kicked your dog. Jesus he came up big in the 18 GF. If he doesn't shin that goal through when we're 5 goals down at the end of the 1st I'm not sure if we recover.

Drafted on talent, got fit and delivered in the GF in his 2nd year. Compare that to 2nd rounder O'Neil whose still 2 years away from being 2 years away.

We never went over and above after he got caught punching a few cones. Just did the bare minimum. Kept him listed, provided support. Sure Simpson went fishing with him in the Tiwi's but I think most blokes would like a fishing trip there too.

He's 28, wants to move to Adelaide, so be it. I'm sure the club will make the best deal possible and move on. The club is bigger and better than petty sh#t like PSD threats in the media.

I'm more interested in the next draft and a project ruckman / key forward which we don't seem to be able to identify. In the same 2016 draft we took Willie, we took Rotham at 37, the Dockers grabbed Sean Darcy with the next pick and Nick Larkey went at 72. And we then took Waterman with the last Pick with Sam Draper, Rowan Marshall and Cam Zurhaar all still available, who went in the rookie draft.

Like most here I’m disappointed.
Kind of saw it coming over the last few weeks but still sucks.
A pick in the 50’s would be way unders for a player with his X factor and match winning capabilities. The fact they are offering him a 4yr deal on considerable money just proves this point.
Has to be a second rounder in the least, either this years Amon compo pick or future second.

But would North offer the money with 4 years? That would be the sticking point. Rioli can set his terms. Right?

Yes he can.

Would North met the terms he wants? ............how do you know they wont ? it may be a bluff , but I don't think any can say for certain that it is.

What we do know is that both North and Essendon have already expressed an interest in him and the two Clubs, if you believe the media, have the most coin to spend on drafting in new players.... and both teams happen to have a pick before Port in the PSD.
And who knows if the romantic notion of another Rioli at Hawthorn, picked up with a free hit, may just be a lure they cant resist.
Adelaide would have a pretty potent forward line of smalls with, Rioli, Rankine and Rachelle.

It's a big gamble to think that he just waltzes his way past: Port, Essendon, Hawthorn and Adelaide so that he lobs into Ports lap.

As I have said, happy enough if he moves to Port..........Just don't want to be shafted by an insultingly low ball offer.

He is a replacement for Karl Amon ... like for like.... the Amon compensation pick seems a fair ask.

He may walk his way to Port .............. but I think its a long shot.

People in here carrying on like Willie Junior just kicked your dog. Jesus he came up big in the 18 GF. If he doesn't shin that goal through when we're 5 goals down at the end of the 1st I'm not sure if we recover.

Drafted on talent, got fit and delivered in the GF in his 2nd year. Compare that to 2nd rounder O'Neil whose still 2 years away from being 2 years away.

We never went over and above after he got caught punching a few cones. Just did the bare minimum. Kept him listed, provided support. Sure Simpson went fishing with him in the Tiwi's but I think most blokes would like a fishing trip there too.

He's 28, wants to move to Adelaide, so be it. I'm sure the club will make the best deal possible and move on. The club is bigger and better than petty sh#t like PSD threats in the media.

I'm more interested in the next draft and a project ruckman / key forward which we don't seem to be able to identify. In the same 2016 draft we took Willie, we took Rotham at 37, the Dockers grabbed Sean Darcy with the next pick and Nick Larkey went at 72. And we then took Waterman with the last Pick with Sam Draper, Rowan Marshall and Cam Zurhaar all still available, who went in the rookie draft.
The counter to that is that he is a burden (administrative and coaching support) and not a leader or mentor, at his age he will not be in our next permiership and is taking the place of a developing player. We are better off without his skeletons and habits.

he wants to look after his family in the future (he has kicked them in the guts in the past few years) - we want to look after our club into the future.

But would North offer the money with 4 years? That would be the sticking point. Rioli can set his terms. Right?

Clarkson would relish the chance to work with another Rioli

Deleted my previous tirade. He's not worth it.

Trade him for a high pick/ established player or he can f*ck off to the Beagles for a year.

I really don't get people anger towards Rioli, we were always going to stand by him and look out for him during his doping ban otherwise we would've gotten torn a sunder by the rest of the country. So I don't mind that. We're gonna be a bottom four/six team for the next few years at least...him leaving isn't costing us a premiership or anything...so just let him go...we'll hopefully get a decent pick in return for him and it'll help jumpstart a proper rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely fuming, such a dog act.

Willie was a favourite and was gutted when he got done for doping, now gutted again. I won't have fond memories of him.

Good riddance.
Wow. Good riddance. To a Premiership player. 1 of 85 in our history.

Last edited:
Gee there's some real classy comments in this thread.

Like the man said, he's doing it for his family and life after football. 4 years vs 2 years (with a truckload of conditions), what would yall do?

Now please listen to this tune from when Keyser was just a young bull, and move on

2 second round picks for Rioli, their Karl Amon compensation pick and next year's 2nd rounder

If they refuse I would be happy for the club to redraft him

We have to play handball here

Feel really good about picking a sliding ruckman if we can get a pick in the mid to late 20's for Junior. Doubt about teams taking rucks with high picks was the reason Grundy slide to the late teens. Got good vibes about something similar happening here.

That Port are happy to offer four years and a decent salary (you don't offer blokes four years if your paying them median salary) suggests they will be expecting us to want more than Pick 51.

That interview was a bit of a car crash. I know the media need their clicks but I hope they just leave him alone now and let the clubs sort it out. It's been well established - even before his ban - that he's not the smartest guy in the world. I don't think he knows how to deal with the media at all. A very apt comparison for mine is Dave Warner and he took a full decade to come to terms with how to deal with the media. Rioli isn't near as belligerent as Warner it must be said.

I have no problems with him leaving - if Port is going to offer this sort of contract it's a huge risk on their part and he'd be mad if he's not going to take, to not at least explore it further. I wouldn't want our club to take it on and am glad we are not matching just so we don't lose a player we want to keep. As for the compensation, if we only get pick 51 that's on the club being too soft at the trade table, not Rioli.

2 second round picks for Rioli, their Karl Amon compensation pick and next year's 2nd rounder

If they refuse I would be happy for the club to redraft him

We have to play handball here

Why play hardball when someone doesn’t want to be here ??
What the club should do though is put out the supposed clauses that were in his contract offer… be telling as to why he went the way he did.

Gee there's some real classy comments in this thread.

Like the man said, he's doing it for his family and life after football. 4 years vs 2 years (with a truckload of conditions), what would yall do?

Now please listen to this tune from when Keyser was just a young bull, and move on

It's apparently 4 years versus our 3 years.
And if Willie played well and keep out of trouble, he more than likely gets another 2 year contract.

Can't blame the club for imposing conditions with his history.

To me, the main issue is the difference in money.

Last edited:
Ah well, if he goes he goes- good luck.
I'd only be disappointed because we probably didn't take Nic Martin once we knew Rioli was coming back, and I know with the benefit of hindsight which one I'd rather have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back