Preview Rnd 11 - Carlton v Sydney - Friday 1st June 7.50pm @ SCG - Team post #371

Who will win?

• Carlton

Votes: 59 41.8%
  • Sydney

Votes: 82 58.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all seriousness, head trauma tends to incur a pretty high metabolic demand to facilitate repair, so I wouldn't be surprised to see other minor (yet chronic) injuries start to worsen over the injury period. Wouldn't necessarily apply to a case of concussion, but I can imagine there's a variety of acquired brain injuries that could have that kind of flow-on effect.

It's a complex system, but at the end of the day it's still a system, and one we naturally model and address imperfectly.

That's a really interesting way to look at it. Can't say I know much about how concussion acutely affects other systems, but there is definitely extensive literature (that is taught in uni) about the complications of more severe TBI.

That's a really interesting way to look at it. Can't say I know much about how concussion acutely affects other systems, but there is definitely extensive literature (that is taught in uni) about the complications of more severe TBI.
Ffs....will you smartypantses at least elaborate on these synonyms or acronyms or whatever they are called.....before thy makes something up again

Ffs....will you smartypantses at least elaborate on these synonyms or acronyms or whatever they are called.....before thy makes something up again

TBI = traumatic brain injury, which is a type of ABI (acquired brain injury).
Concussion is the mildest form of TBI.

As for how this relates to Carlton, there's a bit of confusion (sorry...) about whether Williamson has re-injured his back or has actually suffered concussion.

I guess we'll be finding out tomorrow in McKay's update.

Backline of Jones/Weiters/Rowe/Plowman worked very well tonight. 2-3 errors as a group is all I counted. Leave and back them in against Sydney. Still have the smalls problem with someone to pair with Simmo - I wonder if Polson would do a better role here than Oshea? Good tackler, quick and poor kick at goal...Polson seems more of a chance at turning into a def than a forward.

Even when Doch gets back, we still havent solved out small def dilemma.
Backline were excellent and I think it really helps with Weitering back in the side as it gives us a tall to rotate back there so one of Weitering, Rowe, Plowman or Jones can take a spell on the bench and they arent getting so fatigued. I think thats why they were competitive for longer. When Marchbank comes back I get the feeling Weitering will become a swingman. As much as we need him to get confidence in his role we will be too tall back there. Then we have Alex Sivagni as well.

Post bye with everything going our way, we'd have Pickett, Kennedy, Marchbank, Casboult, and also Murphy, Williamson, Byrne, all available for selection.
Left out Murphy because he's 4-6 weeks and too uncertain to be sure when at this stage.
Left out Byrne because he's been 4 weeks away in our medical report for the last 3 weeks. Also losing confidence that he will make it.
Left out Williamson for the reasons stated earlier. If he's redone his back, we could be talking season ending surgery. Hope it's only a headknock

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure of the ground dimensions in Sydney, but it is much easier to defend Geelong's ground as it is quite narrow. Our backline worked well because we maintained our structures and weren't sucked up the ground like we were against Melbourne. Mind you the Dees are doing that against most lately. Hogan has been superb in that role.

I wrote this last week about the Geelong match but actually think us clogging the game up by getting lots of numbers around the ball actually suits us.

Might not be pretty to watch, think it was mentioned in the post match press conference last week that it was a scrappy, ugly sort of a game but at the end of the day it stopped Geelong from scoring easily and had we kicked straighter we might’ve won.

The SCG being a smaller ground it’s probably as good place as any to try it again.

I’m of the belief that there’s no point trying to play a game plan that the players can’t execute.

Not sure of the ground dimensions in Sydney, but it is much easier to defend Geelong's ground as it is quite narrow. Our backline worked well because we maintained our structures and weren't sucked up the ground like we were against Melbourne. Mind you the Dees are doing that against most lately. Hogan has been superb in that role.
Kardinia Park is 170 x 115
SCG is 149 X 136
MCG is 159.5 X 128.8

Clealry SCG is much shorter but actually wider

OpenMay28SCGHero.jpg

No BBQ this week MEB_ :tearsofjoy:

Would like to see Kerr and O'Shea out.

I think SOS deserves a recall and I hope gets some time as an inside mid. Maybe Mullett (ugh) for O'Shea on balance.

There's probably going to be a lot of sooking about the MC again this week.

Kardinia Park is 170 x 115
SCG is 149 X 136
MCG is 159.5 X 128.8

Clealry SCG is much shorter but actually wider
Not sure where those dimensions came from but they're not right. MCG is 160x141m, Docklands is 159.5x128.8m.

Post redevelopment the SCG is actually 155m between the goal posts. Larger ground than Docklands in terms of ground area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back