Preview Rnd 18 - Carlton v Richmond - Saturday 28th July - 7:40pm @ MCG - Team - Post #319

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone freaking out over Watto - seriously -- there is no match up for him.
Yeah but would u see collingwood drop reid or Tarrant when he was fit cuz there was no match up for them? I Understand watto is not of this Ilk atm but it would be for him to be left in and "find" a match up or let him cut his teeth on a different type.

Yeah but would u see collingwood drop reid or Tarrant when he was fit cuz there was no match up for them? I Understand watto is not of this Ilk atm but it would be for him to be left in and "find" a match up or let him cut his teeth on a different type.
and while he cuts his teeth on a different type gets toweled up to a guy who kicks a bag and effectivly wins the game for richmond. there is a time and a place for cutting teeth and this week isnt one of them.

Tarrant and Reid don't play on Gorillas McCarthy would be more appropriate if he played half decent football in the magoos. Tigers forwards would run rings around Watson.

Can anyone tell me precisely what prepn Davies has had eg. 2 VFL games or .....
His is the confusing one in my book - you would almost swear that it is all about seeing if we want to keep him - who would be behind such a directive?
Lucas to a certain extent is another case of needing to know. It is was a quick hammie recovery.

I have a bad feeling about this one, similar feeling I had going into the crows, I was unsure why at the time, and I'm unsure why with this one as well. :confused:

Tarrant and Reid don't play on Gorillas McCarthy would be more appropriate if he played half decent football in the magoos. Tigers forwards would run rings around Watson.
So who does? nick maxwell or harry obrien? In 5 years time do u still see us dropping him because there is no match up?

Can anyone tell me precisely what prepn Davies has had eg. 2 VFL games or .....
His is the confusing one in my book - you would almost swear that it is all about seeing if we want to keep him - who would be behind such a directive?
Lucas to a certain extent is another case of needing to know. It is was a quick hammie recovery.

Not much Coach, and going from reports only:

1st game back: Did O.K. in the first half before tiring later in the game
2nd week back and playing with the Development team. Looked O.K. with ball but didn't produce much run without it.
Last week:"Nothing much to report other than lots of endeavour and a nasty streak" Thanks to RR

Bret Thornton breaks the record for most games in the number 32 jumper in this game.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4311/newsid/142821/default.aspx

One great stat from the article is:

Thornton played for Vic Metro in the 2001 Under 18 Australian Championships and three other players involved in that carnival also have their names on lockers at Visy Park in honour of playing 100 games for Carlton. Chris Judd on locker number 3 (Vic Metro), Jarrad Waite on locker number 30 beneath his late father Vin (Vic Country) and Andrew Carrazzo on locker number 44 (Vic Metro).

I have a bad feeling about this one, similar feeling I had going into the crows, I was unsure why at the time, and I'm unsure why with this one as well. :confused:
I am glad to say I do not feel as pessamistic as I did v Crows (had some Crows 60+ :eek:)
I have not sat down and done the 'goals allocation' yet - we all know the MM method is nothing new. But I do think if we have done a lot of prep on how to shut down Jack they are going to struggle (more so than us from any smart homework they have done)

Pies dropped Nathan brown for the game against us for the same reason.

I am glad to say I do not feel as pessamistic as I did v Crows (had some Crows 60+ :eek:)
I have not sat down and done the 'goals allocation' yet - we all know the MM method is nothing new. But I do think if we have done a lot of prep on how to shut down Jack they are going to struggle (more so than us from any smart homework they have done)
Jack is a big concern at the best of times, if Jamo is getting beaten early, I'm not sure who we can turn to with any confidence, obviously Hendo would of been the go to man, but with him watching from the stands we could be in big trouble if jack gets on top early, thought Duigan dropping back in the hole would of been the answer, but the MC obviously have something else in mind for jack, I just hope there not expecting macca to be the guy that drops in the hole, would be a massive massive ask of a 19/20yr old kid to do in only a few senior games.

Jack is a big concern at the best of times, if Jamo is getting beaten early, I'm not sure who we can turn to with any confidence, obviously Hendo would of been the go to man, but with him watching from the stands we could be in big trouble if jack gets on top early, thought Duigan dropping back in the hole would of been the answer, but the MC obviously have something else in mind for jack, I just hope there not expecting macca to be the guy that drops in the hole, would be a massive massive ask of a 19/20yr old kid to do in only a few senior games.
I think they will have Scotland or Gibbs playing loose in front of him to cut off the leads and to start attacks - to me that is a bit of a waste as I think that JR could easily have done that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond will more than likey play a 2nd tall Post or McGuane up forward, possibly both, no reason why Watson could not have played on either of those two, it is a poor decision, we should be trying to develop him by playing the balance of the season, his form has been very solid, particuarly when Davies is brought back missing all season, he is clearly one of Ratts favourites.

I think they will have Scotland or Gibbs playing loose in front of him to cut off the leads and to start attacks - to me that is a bit of a waste as I think that JR could easily have done that
Or perhaps the MC have conceded the fact that Jack will probably kick 5+ plus anyway, and as such have selected a smaller quicker side to possibly engage in a bit of a shoot out with the tigs?

Or perhaps the MC have conceded the fact that Jack will probably kick 5+ plus anyway, and as such have selected a smaller quicker side to possibly engage in a bit of a shoot out with the tigs?

Yep i reckon

Watson has played a few months of good footy, there is a chance he could just be having a rest. Though I think he may be named to play in the VFL.

The arguments about whether or not to play him is the old match ups V structure argument. Some teams would play Watson named on a wing and they would have him play lose and stand 15-20m infront of Riewoldt, cuting off the passes and making Riewoldt lead wide or having to outmark two players or forching him into a wrestle with Jammo. Either way it nullifies Riewold getting a jump at it, having successful leads into space and basically all his strengths. Also puts Watson where the football is going to go a lot of the time. This means Watson would likely get a lot of the ball and it also means Riewoldt would likely have little/no impact which means big trouble for Richmond. Similar to what Brian Lake did against us last week and what Dustin Fletcher does for Essendon when there is no real match up for him or what Scarlett likes to do against shorter forward lines. I like the idea of having Watson play as the 7th defender because it also allows guys like Yarran and Touhy run off their men and push hard up the ground as there is a lose player to cover their man when they go. The cons to doing this is that there is a lose player in other parts of the ground for them and one less player forward of the ball for us but with our runners it shouldn't matter providing we run hard from behind the footy, which Yarran has been doing. To be honest, I recon Watson is ideal for that lose player in defence role with his strong body, height and marking. As well as being a good guy to have the ball in the hands of.

We have chosen to go with match ups, tall for a tall and a small for a small. This means that the player propping in front of Riewoldt is likely to be small, some one like Scotland or there will be no one propping in front of Riewoldt and he will be getting a clear run at the ball and that means Jamison will have to be super good or it to be super wet. It can bring about high scoring football and the result will be even more influenced by who wins the midfield battle, especially center clearances.

Ratten is not the sort of coach who likes mismatches. He likes his sides to be evenly matched one on one with the opposition and to have more pace and running players than the opposition. This is how he has always coached. Doesn't like being too tall up forward (especially if the opposition is shortish in defence) and is not overly keen on having a tall guy lose in defence or playing on a smaller opponent. If he plays a lose player it has to be a runner like Duigan/Scotland. We have gone for some more runners and we are structured similar to them. It will likely be a high scoring game if it is dry and it is likely to be played very one on one and a game dictated by the side who has the ball, bar skill errors, which killed Richmond against us in round 1. Still tipping us to win despite not liking how we are structured simply because we are playing a side who is set up much the same way. Though their midfield and Riewoldt worries me. If we win it will because of our run and our good runners like Murphy, Yarran and Garlett etc and because we have beaten their midfield I find and also because Jamison has played well.

im surprised that there is no real discussion on Duigan. They guy was thrown forward and it didn't work... send him back, at least you know he will give 100% and will provide that hard edge and courage. I think its harsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back