Preview Rnd 3 - Carlton v Fremantle Sunday 4th April 3.20PM @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 1090117

I get what you're saying, but keep in mind Jack has already played senior footy, much like Errol. If he's playing well enough, reward him because a few of the incumbents aren't putting up good enough performances to stay in that's for sure...

I reckon he is a player and has good temperament, will do just fine when given the chance IMO.

Carroll only played colts at WAFL level last season. Most recruits out of the WAFL usually have a run in the 1’s (after the 18’s championships when held).

So was Thomas in his first 3 years - McGovern has the class to win a match and actually knows how to lead to take a mark and is a better than decent kick from 40-50 - if he is wrong I'll settle for his wrongnesss. SOj/Cuningham/Kennedy are otjhr equally capable forward mid rotations - Eddie can hold his own - lots and lots of alternatives.

more people loathe him coming out of injury, which means automatic inclusion, for one game followed another 4 weeks on the sidelines for ....i dunno, a broken fingernail. another circa 750k stump up failure.
between his coin and murphys, we could have fyfe running around and serious change left over to upgrade Walsh.

if we could write off failures on balance sheet, we'd be the wealthiest sports team in Australasia

He is an under ager mate he only turned 18yo 3 months ago FFS ... kid has barely grown into his skin yet.

Geez, he's bigger than Gulden so physically he should handle it.

Do you think he's immature?
12 cms shorter and almost the same weight, Gulden has a much stronger physique. You want to put Carroll in the guts up against grown men .... sure why the hell not. Seems feasible.

Gulden has gone from 71kg to 75kg very fast. I'd say his stats have been upgraded since he debuted. Not sure we have Carroll's latest stats yet.

This thread ( all of them this week actually) reads like a eulogy. Think bookmarking our board in the moment in time, will be interesting once we look back at year's end

The negativity is eye closing

12 cms shorter and almost the same weight, Gulden has a much stronger physique. You want to put Carroll in the guts up against grown men .... sure why the hell not. Seems feasible.

It's most certainly feasible. Do I need to go back through the history of similarly built, first year players who have been able to contribute to AFL sides?

Here's some relevant ones in their first season;

Sam Walsh (VIC)
Height, weight:
183cm, 74kg

Xavier Duursma (VIC)
Height, weight: 185cm, 71kg

Connor Rozee (SA)
Height, weight:
185cm, 72kg

Zak Butters (VIC)
Height, weight:
181cm, 70kg

Paddy Dow (VIC)
Height, weight:
185cm, 78kg

Hunter Clark (VIC)
Height, weight:
186cm, 80kg

Jaidyn Stephenson (VIC)
Height, weight:
189cm, 76kg

Liam Ryan (WA)
Height, Weight:
185cm, 78kg (and this bloke was 21!)

Hugh McCluggage (VIC)
Height, weight:
185cm, 75kg

Will Hayward (SA)
Height, weight:
186cm, 76kg

Sam Philp played for us at 186cm/79kg last season.

Shall I continue?

It's most certainly feasible. Do I need to go back through the history of similarly built, first year players who have been able to contribute to AFL sides?

Sam Walsh (VIC)
Height, weight:
183cm, 74kg

Xavier Duursma (VIC)

Connor Rozee (SA)
Height, weight:
185cm, 72kg

Zak Butters (VIC)
Height, weight:
181cm, 70kg

Paddy Dow (VIC)
Height, weight:
185cm, 78kg

Hunter Clark (VIC)
Height, weight:
186cm, 80kg

Jaidyn Stephenson (VIC)
Height, weight:
189cm, 76kg

Liam Ryan (WA)
Height, Weight:

Hugh McCluggage (VIC)
Height, weight:
185cm, 75kg

Will Hayward (SA)
Height, weight:
186cm, 76kg

Shall I continue?
height and weight is important and you make a great point/comparison
but equally , there would be many with the same stats.

you cant weigh and measure heart :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Should Have heard us last week . Talk about Chicken Little
Both teams have got a lot to play for so hopefully it's a cracking game decided by a Carlton goal in the dying seconds.

Sam Walsh (VIC)
Height, weight:
183cm, 74kg

Xavier Duursma (VIC)

Connor Rozee (SA)
Height, weight:
185cm, 72kg

Zak Butters (VIC)
Height, weight:
181cm, 70kg

Paddy Dow (VIC)
Height, weight:
185cm, 78kg

Hunter Clark (VIC)
Height, weight:
186cm, 80kg

Jaidyn Stephenson (VIC)
Height, weight:
189cm, 76kg

Liam Ryan (WA)
Height, Weight:

Hugh McCluggage (VIC)
Height, weight:
185cm, 75kg

Will Hayward (SA)
Height, weight:
186cm, 76kg

Shall I continue?
Uncles a club Dr for a club I won't specify and have a few mates running around various fitness departments. Those numbers are basically always wrong. Height and weights. Half the clubs don't care to update them and the other half don't want to.

Given the injuries, what I'd like to see:

Out: Martin, Fisher, Williamson, Dow
In: Stocker, Betts, Silvagni, Cuningham

While there are other moves I'd also favour, four changes is already significant for round 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You had me till the Plowman bit.
Why not O Mc being the key defender?
Not totally against it but he was too loose at Demons so I got no high expectations of him if we played him there.
Shows we not done our job developing Macreadie or Ben Silvagni as a key defender to be in this situation.

Just tonight???

when we win this week, so many of these people bagging their own club, will be the first proclaiming how good each individual was, and how they’ve always been the number one fan. Honestly, we are so fickle. After twenty years I know we’re impatient, but suck it up and get behind the boys, it’s our only choice.
Having said that, if we get rolled this week😬😬............

I’m not close enough to anything to know whether or not Carroll is ready (though the O’Keefe video review on him is very positive).

what I will say though is that a debut against Freo (and with the Suns to come) wouldn’t put him up against the hardened bodies he’d have faced against Richmond or Collingwood. That’s not disparaging the midfields of either team we are about to play, but they don’t have the years in the system of our first two opponents.

Willo dropped. Please explain? Did he have 8 goals kicked on him?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He’s a shadow of the player he was in his first year. Goes to ground, always looking for his left, no physicality to his game. Not a good defender 1v1 and isn’t hurting the opposition when going forward.

Needs to go back the VFL imo

Not even SOS would have stopped DeGoey and Elliott with that delivery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s a shadow of the player he was in his first year. Goes to ground, always looking for his left, no physicality to his game. Not a good defender 1v1 and isn’t hurting the opposition when going forward.

Needs to go back the VFL imo

Not even SOS would have stopped DeGoey and Elliott with that delivery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plow had a mare, but some supporters expect our defenders to win all 1v1 contests, with no accountability on the midfield group who are the very reason for the ball travelling into the opposition forward line.

This thread ( all of them this week actually) reads like a eulogy. Think bookmarking our board in the moment in time, will be interesting once we look back at year's end

The negativity is eye opening
Yeah, I agree - way too much negativity!

Last week's efforts was disappointing and the injuries tolls are pretty lousy...

But, we've been building depth, so let's see.
Freo got their share of injuries too.

We just need to win and then we can start enjoying this season again

I'm going to the game to witness our first win for the season :D

Pretty scary if we can't beat Freo at home a hot GC and then Port and Brisbane to come it could be 0-6, bottom 4 almost locked in.

We will be starting to question if we can beat Essendon and North to avoid the spoon.
Make no mistake, North will have us penciled in as a win. They go in way too hard for Carlton.

Please do not compare our first year pick ups to Sydney academy kids, they are so far ahead of us in development that there is no comparison, the only kid I would throw in at the moment is Parks as he has play league level and is ex Sydney academy.

The Academy has more than 100 coaches and conditioning staff who train players at the 10 locations in regional NSW and Sydney metro.

The Academy program runs for 22 weeks every year, over three terms from February to September. In the older age groups, from U16 to U19, players train for 30 weeks a year as they also complete a pre-season program.

The Academy program involves a number of weekly sessions, which give players of all ages a mix of skill development, fitness training and high-level competition.

Our confidence is down which is a hard time to throw younger players in.

Do we have the players to win this week, yes, do we have the MC and coaches to pick the best team and place them in their most damaging positions, on what I have seen the last two weeks, no.

If Ed plays, he goes to Mundy, If Setters plays he goes to the middle, bring Cunningham in for midfield/ forward role or sign his papers, Parkes in for Plow or Williamson, or send a rocket up both. Levi, if he can't do what he is meant to, including kicking goals from 30 out, out he goes as well. Jones needs a rev up, Macdonald in. Time for Eddie Betts to shine or he can be a mentor for VFL for the year. Cripps, if he is not right, don't #$%@^&& play him.

All I'm hearing about is depth, but we are in a hole and trying to dig our way out.

And that's my positives out of the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back