Preview Rnd 3 - Carlton v Fremantle Sunday 4th April 3.20PM @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't get worked up about players laughing. Everyone's wired differently, laughter can mean so many different things, it's pointless to try to draw conclusions about players from a laugh here or there. And really, the last thing we need is to create pressure on our players to engage in performative moping so as to appease the laughter police.
Yeah it's a non issue to me. No-one know what is being said and the context etc.

'sometimes all you can do is laugh' applies when you get kicked 8 kicked on you in a half

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

I think that is probably fair enough. Problem being is that who do we play on the De Goey / Martin types if not Plow? Sure they are hard match ups and LP won't be the last player who they get a hold of, but it's really him then a young Williamson for us and that's about it. Concerning.

I think Cornes highlighted a lack of running back hard which led to an easy Thomas hand-off goal that Plowman would have easily been able to compete in if he has run hard. There was another instance where Plowman had a limp wristed spoil attempt that just lacked any real purpose. Couple of other things he did had me concerned too, which may might have been because I was already pissed at him for other things, but I'd have to watch the replay again *spew* to be more specific than that. Simple effort based things though. I always think no matter how talented a player or how good/bad a game someone is having, effort is always something you can control and these guys are pro athletes.

Plowman was laughing and joking with De Goey (his opponent) during the match, just after he had a kicked a goal on him. That's the point. I don't really mind what the players do before or after the ball is bounced, but I had a real problem with that.

Some players are just bastards to match up on when they're firing and we don't have a natural fit. holistically if things were done better further up the ground the likes of DeGoey and Elliott wouldn't have had the field day they did. This is not excusing brain farts and lack of effort it's just a fact.

I'll have to defer to Cornes re a lack of effort or as you say watch it again *spew* but absolutely agree effort is a non negotiable and doesn't require anything other than a strong mindset, which you should have as a handsomely paid professional.

Re the laughing and joking during the game (which I missed), I do really just concentrate on the footy part of the game and pay little attention to banter or player interactions unless it is plastered all over the tv. As mentioned earlier I understand why it's a bad look for many but I can't offer you anything of value unless I had an opportunity to speak to Plow about it and would just be guessing.

If I did see it happen I would think to myself "not really the time for it" but I wouldn't get too caught up in the moment.

At the end of the day he's answerable to himself, his team mates and the coaches. If they see fit to challenge him on it then fine with me, if they think it's not an issue then fine with me. After all they know Plow a lot better than we do.

Expected standards of behaviour have definitely changed during my time.

This thread ( all of them this week actually) reads like a eulogy. Think bookmarking our board in the moment in time, will be interesting once we look back at year's end

The negativity is eye opening
We only have one weakness worth worrying about.

Pressure. It has been a farce for too long. It’s completely impossible to win sufficient games to make finals let alone win any with the pressure stats our side produces. The rest is noise.

We only have one weakness worth worrying about.

Pressure. It has been a farce for too long. It’s completely impossible to win sufficient games to make finals let alone win any with the pressure stats our side produces. The rest is noise.
To me that is equal parts attitude, fitness and game style. I think we are lacking in those three areas unfortunately. Attitude can be fixed quickly, we should be able to compress the ground fairly quickly (within weeks). Fitness though...

This season will be a war of attrition across the league and the physically more mature teams will win it. Experienced, big bodied players who can combine to control tempo. Younger teams will not cope well with the rigours of the faster, longer game time, regardless of available sb
To me that is equal parts attitude, fitness and game style. I think we are lacking in those three areas unfortunately. Attitude can be fixed quickly, we should be able to compress the ground fairly quickly (within weeks). Fitness though...

Attitude, hard to gauge

Fitness, no

Gamestyle, absolutely

And in your opinion, what are the causes
Over commit on forward press with a team not fast enough to transition with it. There are weak cogs that get exposed quickly. Casboult for example is unable to chase. Sides slingshot out of our forward line with multiple of our guys unable to go with them. Casboult. Murph. Then in transition they can’t be picked up by Cripps, Dow, in fact most of the mids, or any of our key defenders bar Saad.

There’s no point playing the ridiculously high press we play with the side we have. Sides love it. Just wait for turnover then run hard. Half our side either cant chase, or don’t want to. We are not Richmond. Yet we play their game style. Their backline and mids bar Martin are full of guys who can and want to run sides down.

We would be better to play more of a Cats style of game so we don’t get exposed....just like they usually don’t.

That's part of why he was drafted so high, and it didn't really pan out.
Plowman actually has good pace,excellent balance and precision skills with great focused work ethic ...watch him move close up and its similar to a larger version of Simmo...i could imagine him doing mid time in the past

great attribute to our defence

he always picks up best forwards an moved onto hot streak forwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plowman actually has good pace,excellent balance and precision skills with great focused work ethic ...watch him move close up and its similar to a larger version of Simmo...i could imagine him doing mid time in the past

Plow has the lateral turning ability of the Ever Given. Never seen a player more poorly suited to midfield.

So he was better known as a mid in junior footy? Actually I shouldn’t be surprised given the way he slotted that goal in Rd 1.
Plowman during his U18 draft season was an attacking halfback who took the game on and did it really well, club has stripped his natural attacking game away to mould him into the player we needed him to be therefore the player he has become...

Precision skills? Plowman?

Over commit on forward press with a team not fast enough to transition with it. There are weak cogs that get exposed quickly. Casboult for example is unable to chase. Sides slingshot out of our forward line with multiple of our guys unable to go with them. Casboult. Murph. Then in transition they can’t be picked up by Cripps, Dow, in fact most of the mids, or any of our key defenders bar Saad.

There’s no point playing the ridiculously high press we play with the side we have. Sides love it. Just wait for turnover then run hard. Half our side either cant chase, or don’t want to. We are not Richmond. Yet we play their game style. Their backline and mids bar Martin are full of guys who can and want to run sides down.

We would be better to play more of a Cats style of game so we don’t get exposed....just like they usually don’t.
I think this is further compounded by our skills errors

Errors in doing simple execution and not being clean with the ball.
How many turn-overs did we produced due to this?

BTW - I want to ask you. What happened with Setters - wasn't he one of your BO target?
Put him back in the middle and dig those balls out!

BTW - I want to ask you. What happened with Setters - wasn't he one of your BO target?
His fumbling has scared them off playing him in the midfield. His lack of intensity is destroying him in general play. He’s invisible out there right now. He doesn’t need to be. Everything in life is a choice. I’ve been incredibly disappointed thus far. Given how bad he’s going it did surprise me how he decided to spend his Friday night.

BUT we are two games in. Let’s see what happens.

Ok ... so far we have a defence with get it to Saad ... he takes 20 odd metres with a run then another 40 meters with a kick bypassing the midfield. If the ball comes out of I50 just as quick as it went in the midfielders are stuck flooding forward and the ball pings back over their heads to a six /seven man defence with the oppo midfield swarming in forward ... which allows them to hit up leading targets ...

rewatch both games again ...

We are BURNING our mids, because unless its a centre bounce they have been taken out of the play ....

Ok ... so far we have a defence with get it to Saad ... he takes 20 odd metres with a run then another 40 meters with a kick bypassing the midfield. If the ball comes out of I50 just as quick as it went in the midfielders are stuck flooding forward and the ball pings back over their heads to a six /seven man defence with the oppo midfield swarming in forward ... which allows them to hit up leading targets ...

rewatch both games again ...

We are BURNING our mids, because unless its a centre bounce they have been taken out of the play ....
So don’t press forward then. Zone off like the Cats. It’s not hard.

Thats not our game plan lol!
Forward press isnt? Or you mean the zone off bit? Yeah I know it isn’t....

You agree somehting has to chnage right?

Its either (a) change the game plan to more of a Cats style (tempo) and keep the players OR

(b) Change out all the low pressure players (Cas, Plow, Murph) for high pressure / pace players and keep the game style (high press)

We couldn’t have the mix more horribly wrong right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back