Preview Rnd 3 - Carlton v Fremantle Sunday 4th April 3.20PM @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope Casboult plays as a defender this week, especially in the first half. Don’t really see him needed in the forward line due to freos lack of height.
Play Crippa up forward to help Harry and tell Harry to chase for his life when the ball hits the deck.

Sydney, few years out of the 8, load up on academy picks, hard at it culture, looking great.

Carlton load up on first round picks, end up with Walsh and Harry.... Rest look lazy, uninterested and here we are staring at the vfl side hoping someone from the Mc down to the trainer makes a statement.

Could not disagree any stronger. It is stupid to keep a 33 year old in the team who is not prepared to put his body on the line or play team football. Who gives a stuff if he gets a clean possession whilst hugging the boundary line between the hff and wing.
Freo are a free running team that have the capacity to run over the top of us. Cottrell is an aerobic beast who can even up contests where others cannot.
He's putting his body on the line just by stepping out there, but he's going into contests too. The issue is he's not planting his legs hard, and that'd be because they're worried about ankle stability.

That should improve over the season, I wouldn't stress too much about it, and it's not an unusual tactic from AR if you look at how Hawthorn senior players ease into the season.

Replacing Murphy with Cottrell is plain stupid. Why? We don’t have many clean users in this 22.
We do however now have many who can run defensively, just need to get them to do IT!!!
Agree, with Martin and Fish out we cannot afford to lose skilled I50 users of ball like Murphy. JSOS and Betts will bring more defensive forward pressure, and Murph will bring skilled disposals into the forward half.

"We should have just dropped a senior player for Betts" is clearly code for "Murphy for Betts", you're not fooling anyone when you post that.

Honestly, that is smart given the array of inside mids and medium forwards we have. He really shouldn't be playing and he's more of an mature body in an emergency than anything else.

I don't give a sh*t where he was drafted (and I thought he should have been drafted lower, said as much at the time), I don't give a sh*t about his footy nous, I don't give a sh*t about his senior experience as a junior: I give a sh*t about his effective output in all phases of his positional play combined, and he is a defensive liability, and he's relying on the hard running of others to create something offensively.

If Cripps was moving around on the field like Kennedy does, people would be asking for him to be dropped.

We'll have to agree to disagree about Kennedy - I see him as a genuine mid-marking forward rotation - whose worst efforts are no worse than a few being played each week and whose better games kill some of the regulars Teague keeps playing - and who are proven defensive liabilities every week.

Anyway Teague is the man and good luck to him and his MC.

We need to be playing exactly like Sydney are in the first half vs the Tigers; went when they had to, and slowed it down where required.

Lost a little composure towards the end of the first but quickly got it back and most importantly, didn’t continuously expose their defense on that crushing Richmond counter.

Teague...this is what the game plan should look like, and it’s being executed by a fairly young team to boot.

We'll have to agree to disagree about Kennedy - I see him as a genuine mid-marking forward rotation - whose worst efforts are no worse than a few being played each week and whose better games kill some of the regulars Teague keeps playing - and who are proven defensive liabilities every week.

Anyway Teague is the man and good luck to him and his MC.
Personally I think we lose further midfield pressure when he plays there and it relies on winning first use at the stoppage, while he has to play as a focal point up forward because he can't maneuver to do anything else.

Focal points should be kicking more goals than he does (see: McKay and Charlie with 3+ goals when they play that way).

"We should have just dropped a senior player for Betts" is clearly code for "Murphy for Betts", you're not fooling anyone when you post that.

Honestly, that is smart given the array of inside mids and medium forwards we have. He really shouldn't be playing and he's more of an mature body in an emergency than anything else.

I don't give a sh*t where he was drafted (and I thought he should have been drafted lower, said as much at the time), I don't give a sh*t about his footy nous, I don't give a sh*t about his senior experience as a junior: I give a sh*t about his effective output in all phases of his positional play combined, and he is a defensive liability, and he's relying on the hard running of others to create something offensively.

If Cripps was moving around on the field like Kennedy does, people would be asking for him to be dropped.

What he said. More then happy for Kennedy to play all his games in the VFL and win the Larke Medal or whatever they now call the B&F in the VFL.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Still not happy we’re playing Cas. I can only assume he impressed on the track and showed more mobility than a hamstrung slug.

I’ll be watching him very closely from Level 3.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Personally I think we lose further midfield pressure when he plays there and it relies on winning first use at the stoppage, while he has to play as a focal point up forward because he can't maneuver to do anything else.

Focal points should be kicking more goals than he does (see: McKay and Charlie with 3+ goals when they play that way).
Id hope anyone advocating Matt accepts he's slow and expects his blocking, tackling and goal threat add more to the team.

Can he give more than some of our other mids at the moment, playing for his career? Id like to know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neither are half the players picked in the seniors but they need to give him a go soon enough.
parks has been given a chance for a reason. obvious he has shown something. Teaugue is desperate for a win so im thinking if stock showed something he would get picked. he is clearly not ready considering he is not getting picked and we are desperate for in form players.

Sydney, few years out of the 8, load up on academy picks, hard at it culture, looking great.

Carlton load up on first round picks, end up with Walsh and Harry.... Rest look lazy, uninterested and here we are staring at the vfl side hoping someone from the Mc down to the trainer makes a statement.

Honestly I can't see how they can keep going with Academies. Swans have loaded up on multiple first round picks for pennies due to the academy. Heeny, Mills, Blakey, Campbell etc. When you can give up late picks for 1st round talent the system is broken.

That being said the Swans are a first class organisation. Unlikely the cluster **** that is Carlton. From the board down we have been a rabble for a long time.

2021 AFL is about quick, controlled movement of the Sherren. We do neither. Unfortunately some of our better onballers are not overly quick, so we need to have quicker players around them. Can only have one of Cripps, Ed and Setterfield in the centre square at a time. Walsh, Williams, Dow, Fogarty, Gibbons (plus Fish, Martin, cuningham, stocker, Philp) need far more exposure on ball.
Teague may have to step back from his rigid thinking an start believing in his entire group as per Longmire and Hinkley.

Honestly I can't see how they can keep going with Academies. Swans have loaded up on multiple first round picks for pennies due to the academy. Heeny, Mills, Blakey, Campbell etc. When you can give up late picks for 1st round talent the system is broken.

That being said the Swans are a first class organisation. Unlikely the cluster fu** that is Carlton. From the board down we have been a rabble for a long time.
I know its shocking, Carlton never get really high first round draft picks. When is it our turn?.......

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

There is no doubt that Kennedy is as slow as Setterfield and Cripps and we now we have Williams and Walsh as the preferred starting trio - no argument there at all. To me Kennedy is a third tall first then a veryu handy midfield rotation - on ball second and always has been.

What befuddles me is that Kennedy is clearly a better forward rotation option than any of Setterfield/Cripps/Walsh and in the context of a one-legged Levi and not 100% fit Harry and an injured SOJ - Kennedy still didn't get a look in - despite being amongst the bests in every reserve game he has played in -that is mind boggling bias on dsplay right ther e- especially when Teague talks the 'form' boojk - but we now know he doesn't walk the talk - he plays favourites harder than any other losing coach.

I don't think Kennedy is a world-beater - I just think he has the stuff that Carlton needs more than 'other stuff' that we don't have anyway - and that disgusting performance by most against Collingwood-0 deserved something more than - put Eddie back in for an injured Fisher and a half-fit SOJ back in for Martin - pathetic MC decisions - all of whom are now fighting for their careers.

But that thread will start up soon enough - another 4 games will make it obvious to all.

I know its shocking, Carlton never get really high first round draft picks. When is it our turn?.......

So this past draft the Swans had one top 10 pick but walked away with 2 top 10 talents.

I don't see how that is fair personally.

Our development is a cluster **** that is undisputed.

So this past draft the Swans had one top 10 pick but walked away with 2 top 10 talents.

Our development is a cluster fu** that is undisputed.
Seriously we could have 22 number one picks on the list and still deliver crapola ... give me 22 gutsy players backed by a coach who knows what he’s doing any day of the week ...

Our development is a cluster fu** that is undisputed.
They could give us 10 top ten draft picks and we'd still **** up 9 or 10 of them

Good in the swans, a side who knows how to develop youth

Plus the swans and other non football state sides get raided by 10 Victorian and 2 SA and 2 WA sides so they need some sort of advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back