Review Rnd 3: Gold Coast vs Essendon @ Metricon.

Remove this Banner Ad

I really enjoyed the game - Saints man and swapped over to Suns game at 3 quarter time as our game fizzed out. Watched first 3 quarters at work today; I was so impressed with you guys!

However, I wish the commentators wouldn't hype up Hunt literally every time he touches the ball. Not because I think he's bad or not worth the attention, but it detracts from the atmosphere when he does something brilliant. Although now that I think about it, he really went in hard and played with some ferocity last night, so maybe the attention he was getting from BT was deserved. Anyway, can't wait to see GCS lining up for the rest of the year, and Hunt, you have yourself a new fan.

The umpiring was a bit bizarre at times. We were held to a very strict interpretation of the rules but seemed like the Bombers weren't.

I wondered if anyone else would pick up on this, I don't know the numbers but I will count them when I watch the replay but the Bombers must had had 8-9 free kicks within the 50 metre scoring zone.

I wondered if anyone else would pick up on this, I don't know the numbers but I will count them when I watch the replay but the Bombers must had had 8-9 free kicks within the 50 metre scoring zone.

As with all umpiring
a)It's subjective depending on team colors
2)It's not the frees that are paid...more often than not they can be justified, but the lack of consistency

The two glaring examples for mine were Fletcher's deliberate OOB not paid in the last quarter when we were pinged seconds later for a much lesser crime
I think Crameri got a free and goaled in the last quarter because Tom Lynch barrelled him..maybe fair enough, but where was the free to Karmichael seconds later at our CHF when he was just ridden into the ground .
Bizarre is a good word
Anyhoo
I still think Essendon would have won, because we ran out of legs.The other strange thing was Bluey starting the last quarter with our secondary rotation followers..you might confirm that if you watch it Iva, but I think we started with Fraser and Riska rather than Smith and Swallow

BT calling Hall Shaw for the better part of a half was bothersome. Then Darcy I think called Shaw Matera. Shaw was everywhere. :D

I mean really. Get to know the team before you call it! They're paid professionals.

Frustrated the hell out of me. They did pick up their mistakes after the first quarter.

Main problem I have with BT is that he picks a couple of players and just waxes lyrical about them (Prestia, K) and just seems to blanket everyone else.

1) Great effort. I'm flying up there for our game in August, and really looking forward to seeing what your lads can do.
2) Umpires: Welcome to the joys of playing Essendon. Hopefully we can hammer them this sat for you.

As with all umpiring
a)It's subjective depending on team colors
2)It's not the frees that are paid...more often than not they can be justified, but the lack of consistency

The two glaring examples for mine were Fletcher's deliberate OOB not paid in the last quarter when we were pinged seconds later for a much lesser crime
I think Crameri got a free and goaled in the last quarter because Tom Lynch barrelled him..maybe fair enough, but where was the free to Karmichael seconds later at our CHF when he was just ridden into the ground .
Bizarre is a good word
Anyhoo
I still think Essendon would have won, because we ran out of legs.The other strange thing was Bluey starting the last quarter with our secondary rotation followers..you might confirm that if you watch it Iva, but I think we started with Fraser and Riska rather than Smith and Swallow

I watched the reply last night and here are the results

Q1 GC 2 frees / Ess 11 4 or which were inside the 50
Q2 GC 7 frees, 1 inside the 50 / Ess 0
Q3 GC 4 frees / Ess 4 free, 2 inside the 50
Q4 GC 2 frees / Ess 11, 3 inside the 50

Total GC 15 frees including 1 inside 50 / Ess 26 frees, 9 inside the 50

The results are quite shocking,
  • 8 more shots at goal from free kicks
  • Richo commented on the final 3 Ess frees as very soft, 2 of these lead to goals
  • K pushed in the back inside 50 in an unrealitic marking attempt by the Ess defender (noted by BT) no free given
  • Fletchers knock over the goal line from 8 meters out (should of been a free to us)
  • Our first free of the last quater came with 2:44 left on the clock
  • The call against Cannon for OOB on purpose when Ess kicked the ball out 10 secs before and it was called a skill error, two discraceful decisions in the space of 10 secs.
Certainly I am biased but the data doesn't lie.

I felt Essendon got a ride with the umpires in the first quarter and was actually getting angry at some of the frees we were getting. However, the umpires turned it around for the 2nd quarter.

Those OOB the full decisions were completely inconsistent too. In fact could have very easily been paid differently.

1) Great effort. I'm flying up there for our game in August, and really looking forward to seeing what your lads can do.
2) Umpires: Welcome to the joys of playing Essendon. Hopefully we can hammer them this sat for you.

109 - 79 :thumbsdown:

images

"Seems we brought more footballers than you did".

I felt Essendon got a ride with the umpires in the first quarter and was actually getting angry at some of the frees we were getting. However, the umpires turned it around for the 2nd quarter.

Those OOB the full decisions were completely inconsistent too. In fact could have very easily been paid differently.

No doubt our lack of experience was a major factor in the lopsided frees count, my annoyance was in the sheer number that were in scoring position.
For us to win everything has to go right and it was probably one of the only things that didn't

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Rnd 3: Gold Coast vs Essendon @ Metricon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back