Autopsy Rnd 8 Blues get the 4 points but .... yuck

Who were your 5 best players in Round 8 vs North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I see kicking as pure confidence. There are definitely better ball users than others - but when a team is collectively kicking like pure sh*t, i put it down to confidence.

like when we are up and running we dont miss a target rebounding from defence running in straight lines. when we are in our shells though we miss targets and everyone says we have blokes that can't kick.

play an attractive game style that instils belief and confidence on-field, players will hit their kicks with authority and become 'better' kicks. Teaguey is doing it perfectly.
Our field kicking so far this year has actually been very good and has won us the games we have won, against North our first Qtr was very good and continued on from previous weeks, at Qtr time our disposal was at 76% and looking good, unfortunately it deteriorated from then on whether from conditions, certainly in the second half from that, but the second Qtr it was a lift in pressure from North.

Overall though our disposal has been a big area of improvement and Teague has backed them in to take first option which has helped enormously, guys not in the side that are coming through definitely have great disposal skills, Obrien, Stocker, Cottrell, Ramsay, Honey, Kemp, Philp even Finbar has decent foot skills so lots to come there.

1st half I had him best on, did quieten in the second half. Though he would have got a vote or 2 though.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk
Yeah him and Kennedy were equally as good just played different roles, Kennedy was excellent as the link man with his marking and goals and both were very good by hand especially at half forward.

I see kicking as pure confidence. There are definitely better ball users than others - but when a team is collectively kicking like pure sh*t, i put it down to confidence.

like when we are up and running we dont miss a target rebounding from defence running in straight lines. when we are in our shells though we miss targets and everyone says we have blokes that can't kick.

play an attractive game style that instils belief and confidence on-field, players will hit their kicks with authority and become 'better' kicks. Teaguey is doing it perfectly.
Actually a very good point. Easy to see why even bog average players can look better in a good team and system.

He wouldn't be the only quality midfielder going around with dodgy kicking, I would think he goes into the Cripps mold, handball is the first option kick long second is the second option.

I think the main thing holding Dow back from AFL right now is the physicality aspect. Namely having the endurance to play 4 quarters and run defensively, as well as the strength to compete in the midfield against mature bodies.

Kicking is the least of my concerns for a burst inside midfielder in the Dangerfield/Shuey mold.

Coaches' Votes

5 - Lachie Plowman (CARL)
5 - Marc Murphy (CARL)
4 - Matthew Kennedy (CARL)
4 -
Jared Polec (NMFC)
3 - Samuel Walsh (CARL)
3 - Marc Pittonet (CARL)
3 - Ed Curnow (CARL)
2 - Jacob Weitering (CARL)
1 -
Luke McDonald (NMFC)

:oops:

..but but.Murphy is soft & can't tackle and Kennedy so slow, useless the team had to carry him :p:p

Haha Cunners is a quiet, awkward unit...did you see his post-game interview on Ch 7 when he was BOG against Bombers? Looked nervous as hell and wasn't giving the interviewers much at all with his answers.

Love the guy. Part of me does wish he had a bit of fire in him like Papley though who lifts his team through his emotions.
He is building in confidence. He had a horror run with injuries for two years.

in his very first preseason he impressed me with his incrdible ‘step’. He has talent to burn. Just watch every year get a bit better from here. He’s as gifted as any player on the list.

Wow Murphy equal highest rated with Plowman by the coaches...didn't see that coming. I guess the papers putting Murphy in our bests weren't wrong after all...I didn't think he had that good a game, but some of the abuse directed at him in this thread were clearly unwarranted.

And great to see Kennedy next best followed by Curnow, Pitto, Walsh & Weitering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez Norf players spend a fair bit of time playing outside the rules, it couldn’t be ignored forever and they cost themselves some scoring chances and gave us a couple.

They are a really hard team to like, seem to get away with being campaigners a bucketload more than they should. Bet none of them are embarrassed about it as I suspect their former coach expected it and their current coach condones it.
Lindsay Thomas' legacy continues.

I loved Murph back in the day, however these days I just see him flopping for frees or corralling rather than going hard more often than not.

With his age and family circumstances I'd send him and Betts back to Melbourne now so that they get in some family time, refresh and be prepared post bye.

Use their spots and our injuries to give a few younger blokes a run - Fisher, Honey, O'Brien, Dow.
BOG according to coaches votes

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

It was good to win but after blowing them away in the first quarter and them being a fairly average side it was a shame not to win by more.

A few things to iron out and that is opposition defenders intercepting the ball. Intercept marking in defence is such a big thing in modern footy and we're good at it but we can be really ordinary at stopping it. A lot has to do with us just kicking it forward. We've got to get better at not just kicking it forward but kicking it to someone.

Our forward line and how we went inside 50 let us down a bit. We had small guys like Martin flying in Marking contests involving McGovern and Casboult which is just not on and our pressure was 10% off. McKay again proved a big out. Curnow and McKay not playing makes it tough as Casboult is not great as the number one target.

Thought we played well in general but we were sloppy skillswise in the forward half but there was a lot of good stuff. Just need to capitalize on good footy better with how we play up forward.

Curnow - Did was he does best and played a very physical inside game. Lots of tackling and found the footy.
Kennedy - I liked his game, he was good in open play. Competed when on the ball and he just runs to the right spot up forward. He's improved a lot athletically which is great.
Walsh - After a poor start to the season, he's worked his way in and is playing pretty well. I like seeing him drop back in defence and his two way run looks to be going well.
Newnes - Played a great game, Love how he puts his body on the line and when he has to bore in he does. He's rightfully in the team on that form. He tackled well, he was brave, he kicked a few goals and found a bit of it. Very solid game.
Setterfield - Really happy to see him excel as an onballer and glad we have recognise he is not a wingman. He competed well, he has a good instinct to tackle and he's great with his handball. A ver improved player who will be great with a little extra size and strength.
SPS - I thought he was alright. I think he is going ok in defence and is improving his game gradually. Got to take is good kicks with the bad as his good ones really open things up.
Martin - He's a great player but by his standards had a poor game. Head not in the game stuff. Missed goals he should kick and flew for marks when he should have stayed down.
Plowman - He's currently playing his best footy. He was great, he just did his job and played a neat game which was great to see.
Pittonett - You wont see a ruckman as good below his knees. Gets involved in stoppage play and does it well. Good with his handball. He's no fumble and quick to get a quality handball away. Only knock is he is not great above his head but he's a good player and he is playing his role well. His first quarter was outstanding.
Murphy - Played ok. There's no physical aspect to his game anymore but he gets on the outside and finishes fairly well still. Can still run.
Cuningham - After a few quiet games he played a good one. Not great but it was a solid game. Needs to find the pressure and physical aspect of his game so he isn't a player who drifts in and out.
Docherty - I think he's playing alright. Teams are making sure he doesn't get lose which is fine by me.
Cripps - I'm ok with Cripps not dominating because we can not be reliant on Cripps.
Simpson - He's just consistent with his efforts and that's why he's so good.
Gibbons - Getting the small forward gig though I firmly believe he needs to attend more stoppages.
Casboult - Liked his game, didn't star but played a role.
Weitering - Very good player, the strong he has gotten the better he has become.
Jones - He does things which makes me cringe but he did a lot that I loved.
Betts - Quiet game and maybe looked a bit tired but he was ok. The biggest criticism of Betts is games like this between the games he stars in.
Williamson - Made some mistakes but some of his play and kicking was exceptional. He's got top level vision.
McGovern - For someone of his athleticism and skill he doesn't do nearly enough. Just lacks that footy brain and that ability to know where to run to and where to position to be a great player. His first touch where he lead up hard at half forward should be a regular thing with him. Hard leading, longer leading across half forward should be his thing but we see it rarely. Fumbled and was never an option to go to before doing his hamstring. This guy is a player who needs special individual coaching because he could be really good with a bit more game sense.
Moore - I feel he blew it. Just nowhere near it and didn't compete fiercely to make up for it.

I've just seen the replay of this game and how anyone can defend such biased, disgraceful, one eyed umpiring against us is beyond me.
A better team would have taken advantage and we would not have won this game. I hope the club has gone to town on these inadequate so called unbiased professionals. Yes that is how strong I feel.

I've just seen the replay of this game and how anyone can defend such biased, disgraceful, one eyed umpiring against us is beyond me.
A better team would have taken advantage and we would not have won this game. I hope the club has gone to town on these inadequate so called unbiased professionals. Yes that is how strong I feel.
Is this a test, like those security traps at work to see who'll open the phishing attachment?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rnd 8 Blues get the 4 points but .... yuck

Back