Preview RND 9 - Carlton v Melbourne Sunday 27th May 3.15PM @ MCG - Team Post #391

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RND 9 - Carlton v Melbourne Sunday 27th May 3.15PM @ MCG

l am not sure why people continue to advocate bringing up players when they are NOT going to be part of our next serious premiership assault, neither Mclean or Collins will, give some kids a opportunity and see if we can unearth some players, it would be disappointing to make only 3 changes based on a month of ordinary performances for many players, what sort of message does this sent to the group , expect up to 5 changes this week.
You bring in experienced players because we're not a side that is building or rebuilding like GWS and Melbourne respectively.

The year isn't over.
2. Kruz number 1 pick absent of the Pies game has been very average would not be in the best 10 ruckman in the league and is being shown up by much lessor players
The club wanted to rest Kreuzer. Obviously sore because he's one of the few we have who hits in hard and throws his weight around with second and third efforts.
Coaching staff if looking to make a stand should drop Kruz and Gibss doubt they will as it will attract attention similar to Jack Watts at Melbourne.
They don't need to make a stand.

You can't drop Gibbs with Murphy and Carrazzo out.

If you want to drop Gibbs for not having an impact, then Simpson needs to go for costing us scoreboard pressure. Such a bad set shot for goal. The whole side is down, so it's not the time for singling one player out. They can't help the side if they're playing at Cramer Street.

Chicken Little' popping up everywhere

When did Collins become a bust?

Bootsma did fine against the Giants, I reckon he can handle the Dee's

Watson isn't an imminent failure, give em' time. For ****s sake Melbourne doesn't have a better second tall then Hansen who he played against on the weekend

Again I remind people that Ratten said that whoever comes in might not necessarily be ready right now but they will after 6 or so games. He may be playing politics but he did say it.

So saying x, y or z won't come in because they are not ready is flying in the face of what the coach has already said. You'd think it would be more than just Lucas, McLean, Collins etc as they have played and are ready.

I can see Watson fitting that description as his form in the VFL hasn't warranted a recall and he is seen as not being ready, McCarthy too. Mitchell in a couple of weeks is another candidate. Right now though, I think this statement from Ratts best fits Kerr if fit, Dale, Bootsma and at a pinch Buckley (although a scary proposition were he to be hit by a 100kg tall).

IMO Dylan Buckley has the X factor. I watched him in the North pre season game and he covered the ground so well and had great positioning outside and through the contest. I think the senior players need a few younger blokes in the side to look out for them and take pride in the jumper. I could imagine Jimmy ringing everyone who is selected on Sunday morning and telling them to look after his boy or some of the old timers might come visit :p

Mitchell has been sitting on 'test' for a few weeks on the injury list, has he been training? Any chance of seeing him out there this week?

I would like to see the following line up:

Yarran Jamison Armfield

Bootsma Watson Scotland

Simpson Gibbs Ellard

Thornton Henderson Robbo

Garlett Hampson Betts

Kreuzer Judd Walker

Bench: Touhy Mclean Bower Collins (SUB)

Outs: Russell, Murphy & Duigan (Injured), Curnow

Personally - I am happy to see the Club recognising that we need to get a bit more ruthless with our own team selections - hopefully a permanent feature of the culture looking forward.

As supporters - we are all owed a team that plays hard every week. I reckon Ratts and the Chairman are now personally affronted with some of the performances ditched out since Essendon.

If we can't win the hard ball and stop opponents - really watch the stoppages against Adelaide - there was some disgraceful lack of body on body contact - allowing them to run free..

then there is no point having a bunch of outside fancy pants runners - waiting for the ball. If teams want to play congested rugby mauls for 4 quarters - then we are forced to be able to match them at this game - before we can think about the outside stuff.

party tiem is over for some of the pretenders in the team.

Really agree with the bolded part. The difference between Adelaide and Carlton players who didn't have the ball at those stoppages was immense. The crows players were blocking, shepherding, contacting and outmaneuvering our boys, doing the small team things and whatever it took for one of their boys (even if it wasn't them) to come away with the ball. Most of our blokes were standing around waiting for the handball received.

It was quite disgraceful and embarrassing at times.

ed: Would love to see Bootsma and Dale get a run.

Walker in the middle while Murph is out anyone?

He seems to have an angry streak this year, tackling really hard and taking it up to the oppostion. I love him in the forward line but think he is the best suited to add to our midfield rather than pinch hit as Army and Simmo would (Ratts is talking those two up as replacements for Murph. Can't see it.)

Give Collins a go as medium forward.

I reckon Walker is the man. Things not going his way down forward this year, release him into the middle and he might just be the winning ticket! At the very least be a decent blocker for CJ.

Chicken Little' popping up everywhere

When did Collins become a bust?

Bootsma did fine against the Giants, I reckon he can handle the Dee's

Watson isn't an imminent failure, give em' time. For ****s sake Melbourne doesn't have a better second tall then Hansen who he played against on the weekend

he didn't play on hansen, he isn't even 1st pick in the res why do people want him in it's stupid!! just cose he was a high draft pic kshould mean nothing

You bring in experienced players because we're not a side that is building or rebuilding like GWS and Melbourne respectively.

The year isn't over.

The club wanted to rest Kreuzer. Obviously sore because he's one of the few we have who hits in hard and throws his weight around with second and third efforts.

They don't need to make a stand.

You can't drop Gibbs with Murphy and Carrazzo out.

If you want to drop Gibbs for not having an impact, then Simpson needs to go for costing us scoreboard pressure. Such a bad set shot for goal. The whole side is down, so it's not the time for singling one player out. They can't help the side if they're playing at Cramer Street.

Our objective is to build a team that will win a premiership, Mclean has played approx 6 games in the last 2.5 years, what has changed the thinking of the MC to suggest he is going to be part of our long term plans, much more to gain by trying to unearth some other players, who knows we may actually find someone.

Agree the year is not over, but the last month has meant a re-assessment of were this list is at and what deficiencies it has, certainly evident that we are not as advanced as we had hoped and improvement from individuals has now occured as yet, coming from outside top 4 which is looking very likely will make it hard to have a serious impact on finals.

I interpreted Ratten's words as if you're going to be part of the future, you'll be replaced by somebody who might be.

Lucas fits the bill. Has some flaws but clearly a player of the future for us. Talented and potentially an A grader. Persevere with him in the ones and hopefully he'll come on like Sidebottom and Beams have at Collingwood.

Bower was decent on the weekend but he and Thornton look like depth players. Yes, one or two might be in the side at any given time to fill a role but we're struggling if we expect them to play a key role in the side. Watson is one who could get a couple of games in against Melbourne or Port to motivate him and see if he's ready for the level.

Bootsma is might be skinny but he wouldn't be the first tall and rangy player to have a crack at it at AFL level. Fyfe in his first year had impacts and he'd have been a very similar size to what Bootsma is. Probably don't want to keep him in the first for any extended period but he's obviously quality.

Buckley I just don't see getting a run yet. Far too small.

Mitchell has been sitting on 'test' for a few weeks on the injury list, has he been training? Any chance of seeing him out there this week?

He played in the development league on the weekend. He didnt kick any goals. I wanst there so I cant say how he played. But it was his first run in a long time so they would of just been happy with him getting through a game.

Hell there is some crap on here. Undermanned and needing to rebuild the year. Drop Gibbs, drop Kreuze...you have to be kidding?
Kreuze misses if carrying an injury, no other reason. We have no one in 2nd within a bull's roar of even an underrperforming Gibbs.
RATTEN AND CO. HAVE TO BECOME PROACTIVE.
Bull shit posts that McLean and Collins are not the future so should not be brought in are crap. We are still in the eight, we have 2 relatively easy games coming up to consolidate things. Geelong are going no better than us and they come up soon. Carrazzo and Laidler should be available in 5 weeks...4 games. Murphy will be back. Top 4 may be difficult now. But if we make top 8 and the cards fall, our season can be redeemed. We must put the best combination on the track to get the job done. Damage control, not rebuilding people. An opportunity for our developing players (and McLean) to show their wares.
McLean is an extractor, not necessarily a "user" Ratten must structure to take advantage that, to maximise the benefits of those feeding off him. Leave Juddy as a pinch hitter in midfield. He will attract double team tags now Murph is out, the opposition will have a target on his back. USE THE OTHER TALENT. Can't believe I am saying this but Gibbs will need time in the midfield (better suited back), Walker as well. If McLean and Ellard particularly can get first possession and move it by hand for Gibbs, Walker, Simpson even Betts to clear, it will give us an advantage. Hope like hell Ratten does not rely on the obvious and just say "go Harder".
Waite still on the injured list demands Henderson move forward for a couple of weeks. With Warnock not ready and Kreuzer seemingly under duress, Hampson must be no 1 ruck for a couple of weeks at least, he is up to it. Hendo forward demands Watson be given a go, for a couple of weeks minimum. Tuohy and Yarran do not have defender mentality. Russell is a last liner (if he has a spot) Armfield can play deep defence if we need to add pace down back. Can't promote Buckley on the back of one good game, although if he maintains form do not let his age or stature stop his promotion. His Dad debuted at 16. Would not be against Bootsma getting a run. Collins has been waiting too long for his chance, give him a go (again for a couple of rounds) We do not need Lucas back yet, he must earn his stripes, played himself out of the team and reports from Northern far from flattering.
Think outside of your little field of focus Ratten, take the blinkers off, we are way too predictable.

I think I once heard Malthouse say then when he gets new kids to the club he is coaching or he starts at a new club, he sits all the players down and says "rip up your birth certificates right now. You are all AFL footballers and the best players will play."

If Boots has been in good form then he gets a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I ask myself - how is it that WC can keep on winniogn despite having so many top10 players out of their side?

I ask myslef how is it that Essendon - those SCUM have been able to get to top of ladder with Fletcher and Watson holding them together

I ask myself how is it that Sydney can keep finding the right sort of player(s) year in year out - and keep copmpetitive year in year out?

I ask myself - wher edid Adelaide come from? Where the hell did they learn to play old fashioned honest footie and crunch everyone they meet- where did this all come from?

* note only WC finished above us last year in the above.

So ladies and genetlemen - persevering with second rate soft tackling fancy boys - has cost us lack of development and a sutainable game .

Now watch Collingwood/Geelong/Hawthorn - run all over us as we dont have the to make up for all our only option player injuries.

Games to get set for - Essendon - we need to muscle up and smash them physically - to set the tone for next year. Same for rematch against St Kilda.

This year is over boys and goilz may aswell use it to find out how many on our list are wortyh keeping for next year.

So yeah this week - I would rest Judd / Kreuzer and Scotland because they are playing sore and hurt.

Play anyone anywhere - man on man and lets see who has it and who hasnt. Thats what we have to find out.

This season is far from over. All last week people were going mad about how even it is and how any team in the top 8 could possibly pinch it. While I don't subscribe to that theory fully, we're still one of the better teams in the league and finding a few players before the finals (we will make it) could be just the thing for us.

We need to be playing for now because this window won't stay open for that long given the age of Judd and Waite. Giving up a season little over a quarter of the way through is bullshit.

I wouldn't be throwing players all over the place either. Hendo stays back, Walker stays forward. We have midfielders on the list, let them play in the middle.

FF Betts - Hampson - Garlett
HF Tuohy - Henderson - Walker
C Simpson - Gibbs - Lucas
HB Yarran - Jamison - Bower
FB Scotland - Watson - Duigan
RU Kreuzer - Judd - Robinson
IC Thornton - Ellard - Curnow
SU Armfield

Hell there is some crap on here. Undermanned and needing to rebuild the year. Drop Gibbs, drop Kreuze...you have to be kidding?
Kreuze misses if carrying an injury, no other reason. We have no one in 2nd within a bull's roar of even an underrperforming Gibbs.
RATTEN AND CO. HAVE TO BECOME PROACTIVE.
Bull shit posts that McLean and Collins are not the future so should not be brought in are crap. We are still in the eight, we have 2 relatively easy games coming up to consolidate things. Geelong are going no better than us and they come up soon. Carrazzo and Laidler should be available in 5 weeks...4 games. Murphy will be back. Top 4 may be difficult now. But if we make top 8 and the cards fall, our season can be redeemed. We must put the best combination on the track to get the job done. Damage control, not rebuilding people. An opportunity for our developing players (and McLean) to show their wares.
McLean is an extractor, not necessarily a "user" Ratten must structure to take advantage that, to maximise the benefits of those feeding off him. Leave Juddy as a pinch hitter in midfield. He will attract double team tags now Murph is out, the opposition will have a target on his back. USE THE OTHER TALENT. Can't believe I am saying this but Gibbs will need time in the midfield (better suited back), Walker as well. If McLean and Ellard particularly can get first possession and move it by hand for Gibbs, Walker, Simpson even Betts to clear, it will give us an advantage. Hope like hell Ratten does not rely on the obvious and just say "go Harder".
Waite still on the injured list demands Henderson move forward for a couple of weeks. With Warnock not ready and Kreuzer seemingly under duress, Hampson must be no 1 ruck for a couple of weeks at least, he is up to it. Hendo forward demands Watson be given a go, for a couple of weeks minimum. Tuohy and Yarran do not have defender mentality. Russell is a last liner (if he has a spot) Armfield can play deep defence if we need to add pace down back. Can't promote Buckley on the back of one good game, although if he maintains form do not let his age or stature stop his promotion. His Dad debuted at 16. Would not be against Bootsma getting a run. Collins has been waiting too long for his chance, give him a go (again for a couple of rounds) We do not need Lucas back yet, he must earn his stripes, played himself out of the team and reports from Northern far from flattering.
Think outside of your little field of focus Ratten, take the blinkers off, we are way too predictable.

Spot on!:thumbsu:

Agree with everyting you have written. No panic buttons need to be pressed just yet but need some tweeking to the line up and positioning!

I ask myself - how is it that WC can keep on winniogn despite having so many top10 players out of their side?

Have a look at their draw to date. Just beat the Hawks and smashed by the dons. The rest have hardly been quality sides.

I ask myslef how is it that Essendon - those SCUM have been able to get to top of ladder with Fletcher and Watson holding them together

Have a look at their draw, plus they've had very few significant injuries of any length to key players.

I ask myself how is it that Sydney can keep finding the right sort of player(s) year in year out - and keep copmpetitive year in year out?

Yes they remain competitive but will it get them the ultimate prize? At the moment it's a bit like ninthmond only a little higher up the ladder.

I ask myself - wher edid Adelaide come from? Where the hell did they learn to play old fashioned honest footie and crunch everyone they meet- where did this all come from?

Even the Crows players are saying it's been such a breath of fresh air since Sanderson took over. In hindsight the club had gotten so stale with Craig at the helm.

This team is thriving on new personnel and new ideas; certainly wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

Plus their best two games to date are probably their last 2 as their draw hasn't been the hardest either.

GC, GWS, WB, smashed by the Hawks, Port, just beat Sydney.

Point is there's a long way to go in the season and the fixes people are discussing like putting on muscle, getting bigger players into the club, playing players who arn't ready to go etc are getting out of control and are simply not relevant to what's required right now.

One week at a time has never been truer at the moment and the coaches and the players need to ensure that whoever runs out against Melbourne this weekend gets the job done. At this point it's as simple as being prepared to work harder than your opponent for longer.

I'm with the few level headed posters on here (and Juddy's article on the CFC website) that the sky has not fallen in, all is not lost.

B: Yarran Watson Bower
HB: Scotland Jamison Gibbs
C: Simpson McLean Lucas
HF: Garlett Waite Collins
F: Betts Henderson Kreuzer
R: Hampson Judd Walker
I: Armfield Robinson Ellard
Sub: Bootsma

IN: McLean Lucas Watson Collins Bootsma Waite (Inj?)
OUT: Murphy(Inj) Duigan (Inj?) Thornton Russell Tuohy Curnow

Axe to be swung.

The fact is Murphy and Carrazzo are out, and our mids are struggling to extract the footy. McLean is arguably our best extractor behind Judd, whether or not his use of the footy or pace is up to AFL standard I do not care. Get him in there to extract the ball and our coaching staff can figure out how we can use that to our advantage, McLean has 2 more games against Melbourne and Port to prove to us he can play AFL standard football or he is gone.

Walker moved into the middle. He has a chance to prove himself as an elite player in the absence of Murph and Carrots, also use Yarran in the mid rotations. Collins in to fill the medium forward role of Walker and prove himself.

Watson, Lucas and Bootsma in. Ratts mentioned a quote about players who may not be quite ready yet but will be given time to prove themselves. I believe these 3 boys can be given the opportunity.
Watson will not get a better run than Melbourne.
Lucas has spent time in the 2s and knows what he needs to work on.
Bootsma just needs experience.

Watson inclusion means Henderson forward. If Watson can develop as our second KPD in the next 2-3 years, we will need to move Henderson forward to prepare for the retirement of Waite and to give us 4 good key position players down the spine we desperately need instead of quick fixes.

Tuohy, Curnow and Russell back to the Ants to find form and confidence.

Thornton on standby if Waite does not pull up.

Next 2 are MUST WIN to get back to 7-3 before a very winnable Geelong game if we can find some form.

Loving all this talk about Walker in the midfield. I agree that it's a great idea. Gibbs to float forward more now with Yarran back.

Make no mistake. There will be changes to the team confronting Melbourne at the MCG next Sunday.

Bottom line - if you can't win your own footy and you lose too many critical contests you can't play in our team.

I'm not altogether sure the replacements are necessarily ready, but I do know that if we put five, six, seven or eight games into them they will be ready - as opposed to those we've had to carry for a while.

Going into yesterday's game, I was under no illusions about Adelaide. Watching the Crows going around the previous weekend against Geelong at AAMI Stadium, I was so impressed with the way they ran both ways to create and cover and, on the flip side, the way they won the ball that was there to be won.

Yesterday, while I was reasonable happy with some of our work in the first quarter against a really good team, the Crows absolutely creamed us in their capacity to win the 50/50 ball and their work rate to get away from that was a lot more healthier than ours.

The Adelaide loss was of course compounded by the injury to Marc Murphy, and while a player of Marc's character cannot be replaced, his absence requires greater effort from everyone else to make a contest wherever and whenever they can.

It's about every other member of the group lifting a further two, three or five per cent to take up the slack without Marc - and I reckon that's what we need to do to become a better team, because at the moment we're isolated.

Melbourne poses a real danger, but then again every opposition team poses a danger. That's because the competition by its very nature is even and if you allow a team to have a crack at you they do.

As I said, there will be changes to the team line-up on Sunday, and there will be changes to the way we play
Not sure that this is the way to go, but we need to put the players who are responsible on notice. The outs might be Duigan (inj), Murphy (inj), Curnow and Russell for Lucas, Mclean, Collins and Bootsma. They'll bounce back.

Garlett isn't doing enough, so who knows if he'll be selected. Not a lot of small forwards in the cupboard with Kerr and Buckley under done. We can't afford to drop Tuohy if Laidler, Davies, Duigan and Russell are all out. Davies' muscle and grunt would have been handy.

Lucas has to play. The MCG suits Kane with him having played well against the Saints and Pies on the larger ground. Need some poise and fresh legs that can run and carry the ball.

B: Tuohy Jamison Yarran
HB: Bower Watson Scotland
C: Gibbs Mclean Simpson
HF: Robinson Henderson Garlett
F: Betts Hampson Walker
R: Kreuzer Judd Ellard

I: Lucas Armfield Collins

Sub: Bootsma

Hey guys just wondering which end is our cheer squad at this week?

Love all the calls on here to decimate our backline and play Hendo forward, based on a quarter of footy in a team that's getting belted. He is one of the few shining lights in our team and has recently be getting wraps from the entire football media in the backline. WTF would we try to change the one spoke in the wheel that isn't broken.

Will say it again, we need a 3rd tall in the forward line to take the pressure off Betts. Would just love to see us start and finish the game with a forward line of Hampson/Kruezer, Waite, Thornton, Betts, Walker and Garlett. If we do that and it fails then I will forever hold my tongue.

Outs this week for mine Murphy, Duigan (even if not injured), Touhy and Russell (and for a very long time).

Ins:Watson, Mclean, Bootsma, Lucas.

Those calling for Gibbs to be dropped are not supporters of this club. I know he doesn't do what all on here want him to do but what he does do is light years ahead of anything anyone in the two's is capable of ATM.

Love all the calls on here to decimate our backline and play Hendo forward, based on a quarter of footy in a team that's getting belted. He is one of the few shining lights in our team and has recently be getting wraps from the entire football media in the backline. WTF would we try to change the one spoke in the wheel that isn't broken.

Will say it again, we need a 3rd tall in the forward line to take the pressure off Betts. Would just love to see us start and finish the game with a forward line of Hampson/Kruezer, Waite, Thornton, Betts, Walker and Garlett. If we do that and it fails then I will forever hold my tongue.

Outs this week for mine Murphy, Duigan (even if not injured), Touhy and Russell (and for a very long time).

Ins:Watson, Mclean, Bootsma, Lucas.

Those calling for Gibbs to be dropped are not supporters of this club. I know he doesn't do what all on here want him to do but what he does do is light years ahead of anything anyone in the two's is capable of ATM.

The problem lies within our midfield, smashed in the clearances and contested possessions.

We are still relatively close with out I50s so when we get it in there we have nowhere to go..

I see you have included Watson in your side.. So along with Jamison & Bower in the back half, where/why do we need Hendo down there against Jack Watts and Jeremy Howe?

EDIT: Oh and who gives a **** what the media think? The same collective group that rated us premiership favourites?

I thought i needed a few days to clear my head form the game, i was wrong.

Needed time to get my own ideas before reading the depression that is the carlton board.

Yes there is somethign wrong at the club but not being involved i cant tell you what it is and everyone is speculating. I could be simple as confidence/form or could be much deeper.. unless you are there you dont know.

onto this week.
People are claiming out depth is bad, this is not really the case if you read our injury list it isnt through lack of depth but mass of injuries nearly any club would be having a hard time covering what we have lost as teams need depth but also need young players developing.

this game is very winable but it is not a given. bootsma as sub i think he showed he has the skill but his smaller frame could be out muscled if he is on for a full game. give him the sub at this point perfect for the job.
Agree if warnock is fine bring him in for kreuz as kreuz looks like he has a niggle.
mclean does need to come in. You cant claim we have no depth the scoff at every suggestion thats creating problems. Lucas should be in too.

if you think to our ideal 25 or so we have
laidler,jamison,duigan
Yarran, hendo,Gibbs
simpson,judd,scottland
robinson,waite,walker
Betts,hampson*,Garlett
Kreuzer*, Murphy,carrazzo

this leaves an interchange of :
Warnock*, Lucas, armfield, bower, russel, Tuohy, mclean, curnow, ellard, joseph, bootsma, watson, collins (starting to show something i hear), Davies, white.

all of these players have played senior football before. With Rowe receiving the bad news he did and ebing recruited as mature to come into the side right away you could possibly add him to the mix.

Not all of these players are superstars but when in form are all capable.

now go through that list and remove all our injured players.

*3 rucks are interchangeable dependent on form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back