Robert Harvey: Most overrated player ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

No-one is saying he is horrible, just that he is stupidly overrated for an average plodder who really did nothing memorable or contributed anything to the game in 21 seasons.

Didn't you just call him horrible in your previous post?

Also calling Harvey an average plodder that contributed nothing to the game is ridiculously stupid even by Bay 13 standards.

He is an average plodder. St Kilda fans foolishly try to place him in the same category as real legends like Carey, Hird, Voss and Buckley. Truth is he is more suited to the group of players much lower down the food chain - players who had some success but on a whole were pretty mediocre. Examples of others in this group include Cummings (Coleman), McKernan (Brownlow but suspended) and Woewodin (Brownlow).

He is an average plodder. St Kilda fans foolishly try to place him in the same category as real legends like Carey, Hird, Voss and Buckley. Truth is he is more suited to the group of players much lower down the food chain - players who had some success but on a whole were pretty mediocre. Examples of others in this group include Cummings (Coleman), McKernan (Brownlow but suspended) and Woewodin (Brownlow).

Just top it off and say Sam mitchell is a better footballer and be done with it.

Yeah Harvey was a big spud. Not only did he win a Brownlow medal but he managed to follow it up the next year and go back to back. How many other spuds have won 2 brownlow's in a row? 2nd all time in afl/vfl brownlow votes so i guess that means umpires overated him a lot as well. To add on to how much of a spud this guy was he was only selected AA 8 times. I guess he only had a little bit of success though...:rolleyes:

Yes, how foolish are all of those St Kilda fans and anyone else that rates Robert Harvey along with other ledgends of the game:cool:

This should be renamed 'The complete waste of everyone's time thread'. This bloke is probaly having a laugh on how he sucked us all in with his pisstake thread.

It is with great pride that 12 months down the track I can reflect on this thread and proclaim that I got it right - the "great" Robert Harvey is now all but forgotten. I will now be accepting apologies from everyone who has posted in this thread :D

It is with great pride that 12 months down the track I can reflect on this thread and proclaim that I got it right - the "great" Robert Harvey is now all but forgotten. I will now be accepting apologies from everyone who has posted in this thread :D

Robert who? :D :D

I almost wanted St Blunda to win the premiership just because it would be a complete and utter slap in the face of a bloke who was carried for the last 5 years of his career.... but then I realised its much funnier watching St Blunda fail :D :D

Robert Harvey was the most overrated player of the last 30 years. If he was to go in the AFL draft today.... and they looked and saw a Barney rubble look alike that was too slow.... and can't kick further than 35 metres.... he would be laughed out of draft camp.... yet this clown was carried by St Failure... because they've always been a side near the bottom so he always got a game.

Good riddance he is gone because he was one of the most boring footballers ever to watch.

12 months on and I still approve of this thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloody hack who sledges champions like scarlett what a tossa no wonder he was hated my most fans

absolute superstar.
he was imo the model b4 Judd.
his hip sway 2 beak tackles & keep going
then deliver pinpoint passes at pace,
both in traffic & outside.
honestly, have always rated him.
reckon he is better than Riewoldt (to date & difficult 2 judge different positions)
definitely better than Voss who was a Worsfold type good player but great leader.
am i missing something (i know that is an opening) about his character?
from what i heard it was Scarlett who rubbished him.
would like 2 hear what others have 2 say about him as a bloke, but as a footballer i reckon he was the model 4 a midfielder b4 Juddy upped it.

absolute superstar.
he was imo the model b4 Judd.
his hip sway 2 beak tackles & keep going
then deliver pinpoint passes at pace,
both in traffic & outside.
honestly, have always rated him.
reckon he is better than Riewoldt (to date & difficult 2 judge different positions)
definitely better than Voss who was a Worsfold type good player but great leader.
am i missing something (i know that is an opening) about his character?
from what i heard it was Scarlett who rubbished him.
would like 2 hear what others have 2 say about him as a bloke, but as a footballer i reckon he was the model 4 a midfielder b4 Juddy upped it.
There must be a hidden code in amongst this rubbish.

Piss poor player with no endurance he only got a game because of his attitude he realized if he didn't make it as a footballer he'd be sitting at home all day waiting for the next dole payments to come in.

I think I chucked a sook in this thread earlier! It grinds my gears.

I don't understand how anyone could slag off Robert Harvey.

He was a great player, and lived for St.Kilda.
Heart on his sleeve every game. What other player ever, ever, put as much of themselves into a game as he did? He is respected by players, and coaches, and everyone I know that has ever been to a game, and seen him play.
Much less anyone that has watched him throughout his carrer.

To have a go, at a retired footballer, who lived clean, and worked hard, is pathetic.

And bumping this thread was hypocritical, you obviously remembered him in some form, to come back to this.

If you keep it up, I will come back and have a serious cry about it later!!! Just a warning! I may even use naughty words!

I think I chucked a sook in this thread earlier! It grinds my gears.

I don't understand how anyone could slag off Robert Harvey.

He was a great player, and lived for St.Kilda.
Heart on his sleeve every game. What other player ever, ever, put as much of themselves into a game as he did? He is respected by players, and coaches, and everyone I know that has ever been to a game, and seen him play.
Much less anyone that has watched him throughout his carrer.

To have a go, at a retired footballer, who lived clean, and worked hard, is pathetic.

And bumping this thread was hypocritical, you obviously remembered him in some form, to come back to this.

If you keep it up, I will come back and have a serious cry about it later!!! Just a warning! I may even use naughty words!

This post pretty much sums up Robert Harvey a tee - "lived clean", "worked hard" and was "well respected", absolutely no mention of anything he ever did on the field. Had he retired in 2002 I would have agreed with you that he was a good person, but as he continued to drag on his career it was clear for all to see Harvey was nothing more than a selfish glory hound, who put himself before his club.

Robert Harvey was the most overrated player of the last 30 years. If he was to go in the AFL draft today.... and they looked and saw a Barney rubble look alike that was too slow.... and can't kick further than 35 metres.... he would be laughed out of draft camp.... yet this clown was carried by St Failure... because they've always been a side near the bottom so he always got a game.

Great post, the fact that we just delisted two Robert Harvey clones in Adam Bentick and Jordan Bannister pretty much sums Harvey's worth in the modern game. Even if he was in his peak right now, Harvey still wouldnt get picked up the the PSD.

He was a good VFL player masquerading as an AFL footballer. Nothing more.

So, if he had retired in 2002, you would have agreed with me (My opinion being that he was a great footballer, who I will always remember)

No. I would have agreed that he would have been an unselfish football and a great club man. Unfortunately he is none of those things, worse still he turncoated on the club and came to Carlton :D:thumbsu:

So, he was a great player untill 2003? And not overrated?

Also, sad to hear that you don't support your club the way I support mine.

Pointing out someone coming to your club makes them bad, just shows your lack of support for your club.

At least he is realistic.... unlike every single St Blunda supporter I have ever met... who cannot see why the entire AFL supporter community think St Blunda are the biggest running joke in the world.

You blokes seriously are in such a bubble you can't possibly fathom why anyone would be laughing at you.... yet there aint enough room on the bigfooty database to record every Fail that St Failure have had :D

I found my crying rant, from a different thread, but still related to R.Harvey! Be warned, my tears increased the sea level by 0.5%. So if thread keeps going, Global warming will not be the biggest issue for future flooding... you have been warned!!!!

I would love for you to say this face to face to afl patrons who have any idea about the game for the last 20 years.

Next time you're bored, and want something to do, don't troll! Instead go and sit on the loo, and get rid of the other half of your brain!

If you have ever been at a game, and seen Harves play, you would know not to question him. On top of that, he is one of the most respected players (by other players, and afl fans) to have ever played the game!

He is not the greatest ever player, but to say he is only above average, and selfish etc, All I can think, is please go and punch yourself in the throat!

So, he was a great player untill 2003? And not overrated?

Try reading my post next time, there is a BIG difference between being a great CLUB MAN and a great player. There was a point in Robert Harvey's career when he was perceived as one of these, but the latter years in his career proved otherwise.

Pointing out someone coming to your club makes them bad, just shows your lack of support for your club.

He was already bad, this was just icing on the cake :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Robert Harvey: Most overrated player ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back