Analysis Rolling All-Australian team for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Hasn’t hit the headlines much but Karl Amon would have to be close , tore Brad Hill a new one and has been consistent all year . Great player now .
Good player and having a good season but smashing Brad Hill isn't going to jump you ahead of others

Hasn’t hit the headlines much but Karl Amon would have to be close , tore Brad Hill a new one and has been consistent all year . Great player now .
Good player and having a good season but smashing Brad Hill isn't going to jump you ahead of others
Reckon the bye will give you more trouble than B.Hill at the moment.

Harris Andrews has been average this year is nowhere near the team atm. That saying great player and im sure he will turn it around

I'd say more he has been above average, in the 10-15 best KPDs rather than undisputatedly in the top 2-3. Has been beaten more often than usual, and isn't killing as many balls coming in, but still has been influential.

In any case, complete agreement that he is nowhere near the team.

Only Lions player in discussion atm is McCluggage.

Duncan will be very close but not in just yet only because he has missed 2 of the 6 games

But his 4 games have ben really good and his game on the weekend was as good as it gets for a midfielder

I reckon he is a shot this year, because he has been stiff to miss in the past and AA tends to lag a bit like that.

I reckon he is a shot this year, because he has been stiff to miss in the past and AA tends to lag a bit like that.
yeah it is very surprising that he has never made an AA team, very stiff

Plays a few more games like Saturday and he is not going to miss this year!

Take ur Hawks glasses off and have a look at the other comments in the thread. Nobody other than your own supporters rate him as highly as you do, perhaps there's a valid reason behind their opinion. Wins ball and does nothing else with it.

You genuinely haven't watched Hawthorn this year have you?

Those stats are a reflection of the fact that Hawthorn have an atrocious forward line. Aside from the weekend, I haven't seen a Hawthorn team with a forward line performing as badly as we have now. Not even when Ben Dixon was our clear #1 forward or that 'interim' period when we used Puopolo as our main target.

Score involvements are completely dependent on the ability of your team mates (especially the forward line), which JOM can do nothing about.

He has been damaging, winning clearances and contested footy against multiple opponents with high efficiency. He has been getting it to team mates in better positions who proceed to stuff it up. He then charges back, wins the footy again, passes to a teammate who stuffs it up again.

Has been a poor user of the ball in the past but definately not this year and I suspect you've not actually seen many of Hawthorn's games this season.

He is equal third in the Coleman so is probably fair to be right in the conversation
McKay would be in ahead of him

in the conversation for the squad maybe.

I'm not sure if anyone has watched Riewoldt play but if he was in a shit team he'd barely be getting a kick.

Walker, Mckay, Ben King would be infront of him you'd have to think.

I'd say more he has been above average, in the 10-15 best KPDs rather than undisputatedly in the top 2-3. Has been beaten more often than usual, and isn't killing as many balls coming in, but still has been influential.

I agree with that but would add Rich to the discussion. He has been probably our best players all this year and I'd say in the best 2-3 hbf this year

I'd take 18 touches from Dusty or Bont over 30 of Omeara's
Yeah?!? Well, I'd take 12 touches from Dusty or Bont over 30 from Cripps or Walsh

Good argument, d***head :rolleyes::drunk::drunk::drunk:

O'Meara is having an excellent individual season, but as always, there are a ton of quality of midfielders putting their hands up for AA selection.

Last edited:

Rich should be in the team let alone in discussions

Where’s Chris Mayne, ....... oh I mean David Mundy ?.

Got to be in the best 20 players in the AFL this season.

AA selectors (and folks on here) are always heavily biased towards the players from the top teams.

Very difficult for deserving players from the bottom teams to earn AA selection. e.g. Changkuoth Jiath has been dynamite off half back in the first 6 rounds. Absolute game-breaker. Incredible intercepts and rebounds. Has hardly put a foot wrong, too. The occasional blunder, but he more than makes up for that.

I get that he's a new kid on the block, so people are treating him as a novelty act rather than a serious AA candidate.

Yet I see people mentioning the likes of Daniel Rich and Daniel Houston ahead of him. Both very good players... but I know one thing for certain: if either of those guys played for the Hawks, there's no way either of them would be in the conversation for All Australian team.

Rich is one of those defenders whose stats are always inflated from taking the kick-ins. (Others: Lloyd, Docherty, Short, Dale, Burton, Stewart, Ryan)

Salem and Jiath have clearly been the 2 best half back flankers over the first 6 rounds. It’s not even close.

I’d have Ridley next, followed by Houston, Lloyd, Rich and Impey

AA is mostly a reward for players from the Top 8 teams. History has proved that. It would be good if muppet selectors like Luke Darcy would share the love around instead of always playing favourites from the top teams.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AA selectors (and folks on here) are always heavily biased towards the players from the top teams.

Very difficult for deserving players from the bottom teams to earn AA selection. e.g. Changkuoth Jiath has been dynamite off half back in the first 6 rounds. Absolute game-breaker. Incredible intercepts and rebounds. Has hardly put a foot wrong, too. The occasional blunder, but he more than makes up for that.

I get that he's a new kid on the block, so people are treating him as a novelty act rather than a serious AA candidate.

Yet I see people mentioning the likes of Daniel Rich and Daniel Houston ahead of him. Both very good players... but I know one thing for certain: if either of those guys played for the Hawks, there's no way either of them would be in the conversation for All Australian team.

AA is mostly a reward for players from the Top 8 teams. History has proved that.
Hawthorn only had eight AAs between 2013-15, would say they were all deserved.

Hawthorn only had eight AAs between 2013-15, would say they were all deserved.
Yet they wouldn’t give an AA to a guy who won 2x B&F’s in premiership years. 🤷‍♂️

David Mundy. 35 years old and 4 votes clear in AFLCA award on 38 votes.

Let's all pause for a moment of silence.
I think it’s a good call by the Melbourne fan to acknowledge Gawn as one of the all-time greats. It’s the first time I’ve seen anyone make that claim, but they are absolutely spot on.

What makes Gawn unique is that he does it all: He dominates the hitouts, good taps to advantage; he takes pack marks around the ground; he has good endurance, i.e. he can run forward inside fifty, take a grab & kick a goal. But as well as all of that, he is a skilful intelligent footballer who is useful around the ground and combines well with his teammates.

FWIW, I’ve always been a huge fan of Naitanui, but his fitness & lack of endurance is definitely an issue. Normally this is offset by his dominance at every ruck contest, but West Coast's clearance work hasn’t been as supreme this year. The Eagles are normally one of the Top 2 or 3 teams for clearance differentials with NicNat fit & firing. They're ranked 12th after round 6. (They're actually in the red. They're getting beaten in the clearances.)

Gawn is miles ahead of everyone as the competition’s best ruckman this year.

Last edited:
I think it’s a good call by the Melbourne fan to acknowledge Gawn as one of the all-time greats. It’s the first time I’ve seen anyone make that claim, but they are absolutely spot on.

What makes Gawn unique is that he does it all: He dominates the hitouts, good taps to advantage; he takes pack marks around the ground; he has good endurance, i.e. he can run forward inside fifty, take a grab & kick a goal. But as well as all of that, he is a skilful intelligent footballer who is useful around the ground and combines well with his teammates.

FWIW, I’ve always been a huge fan of Naitanui, but his fitness & lack of endurance is definitely an issue. Normally this is offset by his dominance at every ruck contest, but West Coast's clearance work hasn’t been as supreme this year. The Eagles are normally one of the Top 2 or 3 teams for clearance differentials with NicNat fit & firing. They're ranked 12th after round 6. (They're actually in the red. They're getting beaten in the clearances.)

NN probably the GOAT at tap work.

Watched NN quite closely on the weekend and he was quite disappointing in that regard. Great tap ruckman but looks like he CBF running.

F9C2FAA7-7A57-4EA2-A13B-BED42B52DF70.jpeg

David Mundy leads the coaches votes by 4 and most of the Brownlow predictors yet can’t get in most of the rolling AA teams on here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Rolling All-Australian team for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back