Roos consider Gold Coast proposal (The Age)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nip/Tuck said:
I wasn't having a go, but anyway.... (now that you've disrespected me)

Keep protesting hippie.

You have to forgive some of them for losing their sense of humour at this time. Personally I think it is very positive for the Roos as a bidding war will soon commence.

Exciting times ahead :)

Lidge said:
The talk of a 5 game package is nothing new. IIRC - The Duff Man made mention of this in his first interview on the topic - back in the pre season.

Since then, it hasn't been mentioned until now.

Don't we have a 4 game package in Canberra at the moment? 3 home and away matches, and 1 pre-season game?

scooby1279 said:
Don't we have a 4 game package in Canberra at the moment? 3 home and away matches, and 1 pre-season game?

That is a very good point Scooby.:thumbsu:

I think we need clarification on that matter.

That hack Wilson could be deliberatley misleading the public again.

Firstly,

All that's happening is your club is THINKING about moving the Canberra home games to the Gold Coast.

If it is a move that will benefit the club in fiscal terms, then who cares?

Permanent relocation is obviously different, but for you people to get upset about this is a little strange. Personally, I think if the Gold Coast dollar is greater then you'd be silly not to move away from Manuka, a place where your club has seemingly yet to catch on.

Gold Coast is >>>> than Manuka in terms of potential growth as well.

Seems a logical move to me.

CR7 said:
You have to forgive some of them for losing their sense of humour at this time. Personally I think it is very positive for the Roos as a bidding war will soon commence.

Exciting times ahead :)

How are you always so upbeat?? (except for your little open letter of apology to Joel Perry thread...which was called for) I'm actually starting to shyte myself thinking about would could happen to the NORTH MELBOURNE kangaroos. After hearing Sam Newman's comments on MMM during the melbourne game (even though he is a bit of a tool) and now this i find it hard to stay postive. Remember we (members) have no say if we move or not. Walsh mentioning a 5-game package is trully terryfying and i know im not going to buy a membership if we start playing 5 home games at Carrara per H&A season. If they're played in Canberra ok fair enough but 5 games on the gold cost would mean certain relocation in the not too distant future.

Nip/Tuck said:
Firstly,

All that's happening is your club is THINKING about moving the Canberra home games to the Gold Coast.

Permanent relocation is obviously different, but for you people to get upset about this is a little strange. Personally, I think if the Gold Coast dollar is greater then you'd be silly not to move away from Manuka, a place where your club has seemingly yet to catch on.

In all seriousness, how do Carlton fan's feel about the prospect of possibly having to take similar action?

Nip/Tuck said:
Firstly,

But when it comes time to give the Gold Coast its own team in the future (and Andy D has stated he wants a "presence" on the Gold Coast), what is the AFL guna do?? Introduce a whole new team or just relocate the team that's been playing its home games there for a few years?? The AFL has hidden agendas, just go back a few threads and read about how Arden was treated at the Bris v Haw game at Carrara on the weekend.

grEEk_rOO said:
But when it comes time to give the Gold Coast its own team in the future (and Andy D has stated he wants a "presence" on the Gold Coast), what is the AFL guna do?? Introduce a whole new team or just relocate the team that's been playing its home games there for a few years?? The AFL has hidden agendas, just go back a few threads and read about how Arden was treated at the Bris v Haw game at Carrara on the weekend.
That's different.

But from what I've heard out of your club moving permanently to the Gold Coast ISN'T an option.

Obviously things change, but in this case I'd take your clubs word on this.

Nip/Tuck said:
That's different.

But from what I've heard out of your club moving permanently to the Gold Coast ISN'T an option.

Obviously things change, but in this case I'd take your clubs word on this.

As would I, but after hearing walsh's comments, he's added another game to the package...what next? He could easilly come out and say in the next 24 months its not financially viable for this footy club to operate in melbourne, we're moving to GC. Obvioulsy thats jumping the gun a bit but i dunno im starting to freak out. SIGN THE F**KN CANBERRA DEAL PLEEEAAAAASSEEEE.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

viccles said:
For me I could go see the Roos play (finally) but why couldnt we attract a new crowd up there?

I understand where you are coming from, hell, it hurts not to be able to watch North on a regular basis (not even on TV). What you have to take into account though is what we will give up to get that extra money. We then start dealing with Southport, who have well known ambitions to operate a license out of the Gold Coast, and we then increase the likelihood of our club permanently relocating up here.

But what is it that you love about North Melbourne viccles? For me, it's partially the fact that following North flows down from family, it's also the rich history of the club, our no-frills, dour attitude, and our jumper.

Unfortunately we are slowly losing these things, and I dont want to see any further acceleration of this. As much as I would love to see the boys week in, week out, if it came to this, I would move back to Melbourne.

I understand the financial implications of the decisions they need to make, however I feel like the members are being shut out of these. Why aren't we given the opportunity to try and generate some emotion and subsequent $$$ amongst our "lazier" fans, to try and keep our club in its present form.

I, for one, want to fight to keep the NMFC alive.

Arden said:
I understand where you are coming from, hell, it hurts not to be able to watch North on a regular basis (not even on TV). What you have to take into account though is what we will give up to get that extra money. We then start dealing with Southport, who have well known ambitions to operate a license out of the Gold Coast, and we then increase the likelihood of our club permanently relocating up here.

But what is it that you love about North Melbourne viccles? For me, it's partially the fact that following North flows down from family, it's also the rich history of the club, our no-frills, dour attitude, and our jumper.

Unfortunately we are slowly losing these things, and I dont want to see any further acceleration of this. As much as I would love to see the boys week in, week out, if it came to this, I would move back to Melbourne.

I understand the financial implications of the decisions they need to make, however I feel like the members are being shut out of these. Why aren't we given the opportunity to try and generate some emotion and subsequent $$$ amongst our "lazier" fans, to try and keep our club in its present form.

Your asking me about what I love about the Roos? Firstly my friend got me onto them when I was about 11 and knew zippo about footy just having moved from QLD to Melbourne and I was impressed (they had just won the 96 premiership) since then I've just loved the way they play, the spirit, the way they never ever give up. Those qualities seem to have diminished this year!

jonty12 said:
While the Kangaroos continue to struggle with the choice between the Gold Coast and Canberra

This is the perfect example of what annoys me about USC.

"Struggle with the choice"? wtf is that supposed to mean? We've got two options, so with no set deadline, the board is able to pick the option that they think is best for the club.

You sprinkle a few words like, "struggle", "tough", and "difficult" in any article, and do it without any real context, and it's not that hard to spin a very negative line on an issue.

Arden said:

Don't get me wrong Arden i would love North to stay and prospere in Melbourne , but what is the club to do when only 16k turn up to a home game in Melbourne and lose hundreds and thousands of dollars in the process , only the naive would be saying we don't need to go for the best deal and if Carrara is that best deal go for it , to say it means certain relocation is foolish as the club rules its own destiny.

Roolander said:
Don't get me wrong Arden i would love North to stay and prospere in Melbourne , but what is the club to do when only 16k turn up to a home game in Melbourne and lose hundreds and thousands of dollars in the process , only the naive would be saying we don't need to go for the best deal and if Carrara is that best deal go for it , to say it means certain relocation is foolish as the club rules its own destiny.

Fair points. But we seem to be getting so mixed messages from the club lately about where our future lies. And unfortunately, at times it appears that our admin can be held to blame for off field performances, as well as other mitigating circumstances.

We rule our destiny to a degree, but need to make sure that we maintain that power, and also don't paint ourselves into a corner.

This is all just bad timing with our poor on-field performances as well. Feels like early 1993 all over again.

trevagreene said:
All this talk of playing/relocating call it speculation or financial decisions, or whatever, as a result of this I am seriously considering not renewing my membership for next year. I refuse to support any team that entertains being based at GC/relocated/considering relocation and all that rubbish...

Unfortunately this is all part of the plan, it is a catch 22.

North will sell games for more money and then people will not sign up as they aren’t getting to see North play, then North will lose money and sell another game to the Gold coast to make up for the shortfall. Again less people will sign up as they will being seeing less games in Melbourne and again North sells another game until...........North is playing all their games on the Gold Coast.

This kind of action will make the situation worse, but I can see where you are coming from.

Hope I made sense.

Arden said:
We rule our destiny to a degree, but need to make sure that we maintain that power, and also don't paint ourselves into a corner.

Take away all the media bullsh:thumbsu: t that is circling , the facts are the AFL have said they want a presence on the coast , not relocation , they have said the same recently reguarding Canberra , the club has come out and said they are looking at the best deal between the two , the rest is garbage , i work at the council and have limited knowledge of whats going on and at no stage has a relocated team been mentioned.

Time for the Canberra based North Supporters to stand up and be counted.

How can we justify marketing ourselves, getting them to sign-up as members and then turning around and heading further north?

Melbourne supporters should be miffed about losing some games but at least you get to see the vast majority of games - what are the Canberra fans meant to do?

Sure lets have a bidding war but I am not happy that we can so easily discount a new group of members/supporters.

As I have said before - I live in Brisbane and would benefit having the mighty Roos in my backyard for a couple of games but I hate that it may be at the expense of Canberra.

Doesn't sound to promising, I know one thing if the club moves north my membership and the 3 Roo memberships my boys have will not be reniewed.

Some retiree might take up the slack and buy their grandkids some memberships to cover the loss. :rolleyes:

When we make our yearly trip to Melbourne We'll buy our tickets at the gate.

The whoring around of the club to the highest bidder has become a joke.

I would still rejoin if the club moved all it's games back to Melbourne but the Carrara deal will be the death of our club as we know it.

Cheers all.

hopper said:
Doesn't sound to promising, I know one thing if the club moves north my membership and the 3 Roo memberships my boys have will not be reniewed.

Some retiree might take up the slack and buy their grandkids some memberships to cover the loss. :rolleyes:

Agreed, If the club makes the decision to move to the GC then my membership money for next season will go towards a Melbourne Victory membership.

They relocate to the Gold Coast, me & mine wont be following them any more either.

Pity, my family have been supporters of the club for over 80 years.

I will go follow the Roosters.

They play better footy anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roos consider Gold Coast proposal (The Age)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back