Roast Rory Atkins is...

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha Carlscum posters rolling in here preaching peace and love, “don’t pick on a player he’s just playing a game”. Ship off and go circle jerk back on your own board about maybe finishing 15th. You lot of course loved all the work of Josh Bootsma and Blaine Boekhorst didn’t you? Carlton fans sitting on a bloody high horse, haha piss off

Speaking from experience, it doesn't bother me

It may not bother you Scorpus, but that's not really the point is it?

How did you or your supporters react when someone threw a banana at the feet of Betts, or vilified him on social media, someone that is admired by everyone? I know I was livid. Now just imagine it was a one of your loved ones, your father, mother, sibling, your child, would you react differently, rather than "it doesn't bother me"

Be brave enough to call people out, as I doubt you or anyone else would have the courage to walk into your club, stand in front of the whole playing group and single out one person in Atkins, with some of the vile and disgusting comments in this thread

Make no mistake, this is not coming from an opposition supporter, as I would and have posted similar on our board when people have crossed the line.

Be brave enough to do the same

It may not bother you Scorpus, but that's not really the point is it?

How did you or your supporters react when someone threw a banana at the feet of Betts, or vilified him on social media, someone that is admired by everyone? I know I was livid. Now just imagine it was a one of your loved ones, your father, mother, sibling, your child, would you react differently, rather than "it doesn't bother me"

Be brave enough to call people out, as I doubt you or anyone else would have the courage to walk into your clubs, stand in front of the whole playing group and single out one person in Atkins, with some of the vile and disgusting comments in this thread

Make no mistake, this is not coming from an opposition supporter, as I would and have posted similar on our board when people have crossed the line.

Be brave enough to do the same

Personal attacks and criticism of work posted online is different to racism. Surely you know this.

As for coming into the club and singling out people... I absolutely would do that. 100%. There is no way the club would ever let me, but I would be more than happy to go in there and criticize the players and staff to their faces.

And in any case, insulting players online in a forum that's easily ignored is very different to targeting the players directly and either sending them messages or speaking to them face to face.

I genuinely don't think people have any idea what it's like to receive all manner of insults and criticisms online. Because these sorts of comments crop up all the time. And from my own experiences and speaking to others in the industry, it's not nearly as much of an issue as outsiders perceive it to be.

Haha Carlscum posters rolling in here preaching peace and love, “don’t pick on a player he’s just playing a game”. Ship off and go circle jerk back on your own board about maybe finishing 15th. You lot of course loved all the work of Josh Bootsma and Blaine Boekhorst didn’t you? Carlton fans sitting on a bloody high horse, haha p**s off
you'd have to be feeling pretty proud of yourself - a thread so targetted at hate and bile even opposition supporters are offended by it........

Personal attacks and criticism of work posted online is different to racism. Surely you know this.

As for coming into the club and singling out people... I absolutely would do that. 100%. There is no way the club would ever let me, but I would be more than happy to go in there and criticize the players and staff to their faces.

And in any case, insulting players online in a forum that's easily ignored is very different to targeting the players directly and either sending them messages or speaking to them face to face.

I genuinely don't think people have any idea what it's like to receive all manner of insults and criticisms online. Because these sorts of comments crop up all the time. And from my own experiences and speaking to others in the industry, it's not nearly as much of an issue as outsiders perceive it to be.
every shred of evidence you look at from anecdotal reports to mental health stats, schools, counselors, therapists, victims, families say you are 100% wrong

If you're going to do a group troll, at least be subtle about it. Having a poster known for trolling this and other boards in your group makes it a bit obvious guys.
troll? a few people giving an opinion on a hate thread........

every shred of evidence you look at from anecdotal reports to mental health stats, schools, counselors, therapists, victims, families say you are 100% wrong

And what sort of industries are these people in? Are we talking about school kids being bullied online, or are we talking about this specific issue?

I am talking specifically about work-related insults and criticism being posted online to a forum or social media where the people involved are not directly contacted/tagged/messaged

Racism is just another word for bullying, they single out one person and or group

If you think it doesn't effect people, try telling that to the families that have lost loved ones to suicide. You have no idea how it effects others, unless you have experienced yourself, which I hope you never do

Racism is just another word for bullying, they single out one person and or group

If you think it doesn't effect people, try telling that to the families that have lost loved ones to suicide. You have no idea how it effects others, unless you have experienced yourself, which I hope you never do

I really don't know what to say other than you won't be able to understand unless it's happened to you directly.

I've experienced it all. Incessant harassment. Bullying. Messages targeted to me specifically. Hate mail. Death threats. Personal attacks and insults. Public criticism of my work. I've been laughed at online, harassed by others in my industry, and prominently criticized.

This happens every single day of my life. There is always somewhere I can look to see criticism of myself and my work. Publicly. Now thankfully I don't receive death threats every day, but criticism? Yep. All the time. Thankfully because I'm white I haven't experienced racism.

All I can say is that from my experience, and from speaking to others in my industry who have the exact same issues as me, most have the same experiences.

This is a situation where there is literally no escape from criticism. It's everywhere, and unavoidable to some extent. You can't just knock out the school bully. You can't call the cops and get a restraining order. You can't unfriend the haters and make it go away. Save for deleting the internet or getting a new job, there is simply too much of it to get rid of.

It's hard to explain but it's just somehow fundamentally different to being bullied on a smaller scale. I was bullied in the conventional sense at school. Not a fun time. But that was actually worse than receiving criticism every single day. It was harder to take and cope with.

The reason for that is the incessant, targeted and harassing nature of bullying. Often being people you know or are forced to associate with makes it worse. Very difficult to escape because of how targeted and personal it can be. It can grind you down and crush you because it's deliberately made to be inescapable for maximum damage.

The difference with criticism of someone being everywhere, is that 99% of it you can escape from and often don't even know exists. Do I need to read that message board that will contain criticism of me? Nope, so I don't. Do I need to read all the comments? Nope. Do I need to search for myself on social media? Nope. So when you're in this position you eventually just figure out to... well... not hunt down criticism. And then for another portion, often throwaway insults made by random anonymous people, you just laugh off. Seriously, eventually it gets to a point where some random doofus online saying I'm an "idiot" or that I have "stupid arms" or whatever has no effect, because it's so ridiculous.

Where it becomes bad is with incessant, targeted harassment. Same as with bullying. If someone is deliberately messaging me constantly, repeatedly, harmfully... well that's the same as bullying and it's hard to escape from, it hurts, it often can't be switched off. It's happened to me. It happens worse to others. It's not acceptable.

Now I'm not saying everyone deals with this the same way, but from what I gather my experience is a fairly typical one.

And on reflection reading back my post I don't think I've explained it too well. It's a complicated and rare position to be in. My general take on these sorts of threads is that most posts aren't that bad and often contain valid if a little harsh criticism and a few mild insults, but I wouldn't go messaging or targeting the player with links to come read it all.

And to circle all the way back to the initial question, which was "would you like a similar thread posted about yourself about your work performance posted on a blog read by thousands of people?" .... well the answer is it still doesn't bother me. It genuinely doesn't, because it is probably happening right now, and I'm not fussed. I'm not going to try stop people that do, people are entitled to their opinion and to criticize, but I'm also not going to read it. Unless you insult me in a funny way, then I might share it with my mates.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha Carlscum posters rolling in here preaching peace and love, “don’t pick on a player he’s just playing a game”. Ship off and go circle jerk back on your own board about maybe finishing 15th. You lot of course loved all the work of Josh Bootsma and Blaine Boekhorst didn’t you? Carlton fans sitting on a bloody high horse, haha p**s off
nice melt

you do realise you're justifying a hate thread .........fair enough..........you know in your guts what's crossing the line and what isn't.........

Give me a break please.

Do you seriously think that Rory comes on to this forum and reads this tripe? Even if he did, would he give a crap? My god, if you do, then you are truly naive.

This forum was created to allow anonymous keyboard warriors (including me) to vent at stupid inane non life-threatening topics along with similar like-minded anonymous keyboard warriors and to do it with relative impunity and without direct personal consequence or accountability. It is no different than any social media platform.

If you truly have a bone to pick, then do it with the social media platforms that enable this situation to occur. We are merely using the system that has been created.

Is this thread any different, especially if Rory himself or his family members read this thread ?

Would you like a similar thread posted about yourself about your work performance posted on a blog read by thousands of people ?

If you don't want the public spotlight, don't take a job that's in the public spotlight.

It's the equivalent of a movie star surprised they don't get privacy walking down the streets. Or a politician thinking their sex scandal shouldn't be publicized because it's a private matter.

When you accept a job in the public eye, you accept the pros and the cons.

The pros for Rory are that he's making serious money based entirely on the fact that what he does is watched by hundreds of thousands of people. The cons is that he's going to get talked about by many of those same people.

Honestly your post is utterly ridiculous.

If he wants to get out of the public eye he's more than welcome to retire at which point I doubt you'd see him mentioned much here ever again.

If you don't want the public spotlight, don't take a job that's in the public spotlight.

It's the equivalent of a movie star surprised they don't get privacy walking down the streets. Or a politician thinking their sex scandal shouldn't be publicized because it's a private matter.

The pros for Rory are that he's making serious money based entirely on the fact that what he does is watched by hundreds of thousands of people. The cons is that he's going to get talked about by many of those same people.

If he wants to get out of the public eye he's more than welcome to retire at which point I doubt you'd see him mentioned much here ever again.

Excellent post.

Careful though not to let logic cloud the argument though. It is the internet after all.

Spot on.

Holy shit, no racism isn't another word for bullying. The level of ignorance here is astounding.

Racism has caused genocide, mass slavery, lynch mobs, children being systematically kidnapped from their families on a national scale and many other atrocities.

To just go 'oh its the same as bullying' is just utterly ridiculous.

Holy s**t, no racism isn't another word for bullying. The level of ignorance here is astounding.

Racism has caused genocide, mass slavery, lynch mobs, children being systematically kidnapped from their families on a national scale and many other atrocities.

To just go 'oh its the same as bullying' is just utterly ridiculous.

Totally agree.

The level of hysteria and misinformation that social media espouses and creates continues to be astonishingly stupid.

Give me a break please.

Do you seriously think that Rory comes on to this forum and reads this tripe? Even if he did, would he give a crap? My god, if you do, then you are truly naive.

This forum was created to allow anonymous keyboard warriors (including me) to vent at stupid inane non life-threatening topics along with similar like-minded anonymous keyboard warriors and to do it with relative impunity and without direct personal consequence or accountability. It is no different than any social media platform.

Yep this is spot on.

Conflating social media posting with actual bullying is such a simpleton view. It's not the same at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Rory Atkins is...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back